This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by br0kenrabbit (13042 posts) -

What's up with these strange creatures walking among us? Do they just forget to close their mouths?

Okay, so maybe you'll suggest they have trouble breathing through their nose. Not so with the ones I know...they breathe normally most of the time, but flip on the TV or get them comfortable and quite, and suddenly I start hearing "hooo...woooosh....hoooo....wooosh". I look over and there they sit, mouth agape with the most vacant expression upon their mugly.

What's up with that?

#2 Posted by Iszdope (10129 posts) -

Parasites.

#3 Posted by Korvus (3898 posts) -

They're just sucking in the knowledge XD

Also, I used to be a mouth breather as a kid, due to severe asthma =P

#4 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13042 posts) -

@Korvus85 said:

See, I can understand if there's a medical issue. Or if you're sick...I know I've had to breathe through my mouth before because of congestion. But the people I know and am speaking of can breathe through their nose just fine. It's just when they get relaxed or fixated on something that it becomes an issue.

I'm only a little annoyed by it, not enough to say something to them. I'm concerned with the way it makes them look when I'm in their company, it's embarrassing.

#5 Posted by johnd13 (8220 posts) -

It is kinda annoying but thankfully the people I hang around with refrain from doing it.

#6 Posted by coasterguy65 (6016 posts) -

Probably like me and have sinus issues. Although after living in NC I do think some people forget to just close their mouth.

#7 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13042 posts) -

@coasterguy65 said:

Although after living in NC I do think some people forget to just close their mouth.

Yeah I lived in Surrey County for two years, those people...

#8 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20875 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

"hooo...woooosh....hoooo....wooosh"

Someone breathed like that once around me. So I throat chopped them an no one ever sat around me again.

#9 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (834 posts) -

The only time I'm able to breathe through my noise is in Winter and Fall. Come Spring and Summer though, my nose puts up the barricade and sets up unlimited amounts of snot to counterattack the pollen.

#10 Posted by Korvus (3898 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@Korvus85 said:

See, I can understand if there's a medical issue. Or if you're sick...I know I've had to breathe through my mouth before because of congestion. But the people I know and am speaking of can breathe through their nose just fine. It's just when they get relaxed or fixated on something that it becomes an issue.

I'm only a little annoyed by it, not enough to say something to them. I'm concerned with the way it makes them look when I'm in their company, it's embarrassing.

Yeah, I know some people like that too; I look at them and think "But you were breathing normally just 2 seconds ago; did your brain melt?". I also know that some people have to "force themselves" to breathe through their nose, so when they're focused/distracted they revert to breathing through their mouths. Going back to me and the asthma, after I got rid of it at around the age of 12, I spent a year or 2 needing to remind myself to breathe through my nose, and sometimes I'd forget...eventually it stuck and now if I have a cold and need to breathe through my mouth if just feels awkward...

#11 Posted by Skyz_ (56 posts) -

Happy to say I don't know anyone who breathes as dramatically as that! What annoys me more are the nose wheezers...

#12 Posted by MrGeezer (56527 posts) -

@skyz_ said:

Happy to say I don't know anyone who breathes as dramatically as that! What annoys me more are the nose wheezers...

Yeah, dude, they're the worst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCVW0y-kD8

#13 Posted by GazaAli (22974 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@skyz_ said:

Yeah, dude, they're the worst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCVW0y-kD8

Soooo that's what these people are called, nose wheezers. They come second on my list of unbelievably annoying and cringe-inducing people. They're only second to loud chewers, those who chew with their mouths open and those who make smacking-sounds while eating. I can tolerate nose wheezers for the most part but I lose my sanity around anyone who eats slightly improperly or makes any kind of noises with his mouth especially while eating or after having done eating.

#14 Posted by plageus900 (1081 posts) -

I was an amateur boxer when I was younger and I broke the septum in my nose when I was 14.

So now its mashed to one side and sometimes I have a problem breathing through my nose. But I still keep my mouth shut even if I cant breathe and go blue in the face. I hate mouth-breathers.

I remember in basic training, we had a few mouth-breathers in my flight and our instructor would unleash hell on them on daily basis.

#15 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

Bit racist...

#16 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I prefer to breath in and out my mouth vs my nose. I don't have to worry about smelling nasty smells that way.

#17 Posted by KiIIyou (27146 posts) -

I blame bad posture, tight back of the neck and weak front of it