most humane way to kill a bat?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nightshade85 (5645 posts) -

As of late I have been haivng a bat problem - about a week and a half ago I got one outside with a shovel - which made me suspect that there were probably more in the the attic.

It's not so much an attic as it is a crawl space - I can only stand halfway into it on a ladder and crawl around up there if I want to see everything - I didn't have a flashlight so I took a laser point which act as a horrible flashlights by the way. It was noon so I figured the bats if any would be asleep. I didn't see or hear any so I started yelling and hitting the floor of the crawlspace to get a reaction.

I heard some screeching and one of them flew down and right past me into my sister's room (the crawl space is connected to her room) I climbed down and went after it. It was flying some where in the house - so I turned on loud music as far as it would go to disorient it maybe. It was flying back and forth from the living room to the kitchen frantically.

I captured it eventually. Right now it is trapped in a tuperware container with a magazine as the cell floor. It is injured I'm sure - it took a few good hits from a badmitten racket and I doubt it would survive it I let it go a few miles away back into the wild. I am not sure if it can still fly so I don't want to take it out of it's prison. I need to kill it quickly and painlessly. I was thinking of just spraying aerosol into it's face until it suffocated or take it out really quick and hit it with something hard. I need to get rid of it though. It will die if I keep it trapped long enough - but I don't really want to make it suffer. Also, I am not going to bite it's head off.

#2 Posted by explicthangnail (757 posts) -
Rip the wings off and shove it into a blender thats turned on. :twisted:
#3 Posted by nickmag (6710 posts) -
Biting off it's head Ozzy Osbourne style is the only way to go
#4 Posted by WOLVERINE281 (2531 posts) -
poor gasoline in the container and throw in a match.
#5 Posted by Alex41790 (469 posts) -

There is always the option of taking a shotgun, rifle, pistol, (enter your preference) here to the tupperware container. Im not sure if that is against your morals but I think it would be better than spraying aresol into its face. It would be one of the quickest ways to get rid of it. THen again, you could always let it go and let nature take its course.

As far as humane goes I suppose the gun wouldnt be to humane. But then again it would be a little strange taking a bat to the vet to get it "put to sleep"

Its all up to you, next time you have a bat problem i say you catch it with a net (no not a badminton net). That way you can just catch it then take it outside for releasing. Also just leaving it alone and closing off all sources except the ones that lead outside would be a good idea and just let it fly around until it finds its way outside.

I hope you find a solution to your problem. Believe me Ive had my fair share of bat problems and they are no fun. 

#6 Posted by TheHimura (9297 posts) -
Make it watch a Uwe Boll movie.
#7 Posted by -Karayan- (6713 posts) -
Let it go.
#8 Posted by sandlot76 (53266 posts) -
you're supposed to catch it and give it to the local animal people.  We have bats near the Tech school and the animal control people want them so that they can be tested for Rabies and such if anyone were to be biten.
#9 Posted by explicthangnail (757 posts) -
Let it go.-Karayan-
I like my idea better.
#10 Posted by Robograndma (2916 posts) -
most humane would be taking a shovel and decapitiating it.
#11 Posted by DireToad (3948 posts) -
I would so make a pet out of it.
#12 Posted by -Karayan- (6713 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.explicthangnail
I like my idea better.

A bat never ripped your arms off.
#13 Posted by SolidSnake_108 (11951 posts) -
Chainsaw........
#14 Posted by Zombelious (769 posts) -

Make it watch a Uwe Boll movie.TheHimura

Owned.

Man, the second I saw this topic I thought of Ozzy... That really is the best way to kill it. Maybe you could record it and put it on Youtube or soomething. You could start the craze back up! I'm going to The Killers concert next month, I'd love to see them bite off a bat's head!

#15 Posted by explicthangnail (757 posts) -
[QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.-Karayan-
I like my idea better.

So?
#16 Posted by Uma-Chan (14901 posts) -
Stab it in the heart with a stake?
#17 Posted by DireToad (3948 posts) -
[QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.-Karayan-
I like my idea better.

I bet you it would if it was big enough though.

But I maintain my stance on keeping it as a pet.
#18 Posted by -Karayan- (6713 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.explicthangnail
I like my idea better.

So?

So, no reason to do it to a bat. Why would you even do that, such sadism.
#19 Posted by joetira (2879 posts) -
overdose it with heroin or something, it'll like it mabey and it would be fun to see the silly stuff it does.
#20 Posted by explicthangnail (757 posts) -
[QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.-Karayan-
I like my idea better.

So?

I still don't see where you're coming from. :|
#21 Posted by -Karayan- (6713 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.explicthangnail
I like my idea better.

So?

Why would you do it? :?
#22 Posted by explicthangnail (757 posts) -
[QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.-Karayan-
I like my idea better.

So?

Be pretty cool to watch I guess. I was kinda hoping he'd upload a video.
#23 Posted by lycrof (6393 posts) -
Take it to the vet or animal control.  The drugs they use to kill animals is the most humane way to die.  Basically they just overdose the animal on sedatives so it falls asleep then its heart stops.
#24 Posted by nuttybar (9624 posts) -
Take it to a vet, because it might still be okay with help. If taking it to a vet is something you can't do, let it go into the wild.
#25 Posted by -Karayan- (6713 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.explicthangnail
I like my idea better.

So?

That's sick, inhumane, against the law and against anyone with any morals whatsoever.
#26 Posted by lugiemojeed (8785 posts) -
BITE IT AND SUCK UP THEIR BLOOD
#27 Posted by explicthangnail (757 posts) -
[QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.-Karayan-
I like my idea better.

So?

That's sick, inhumane, against the law and against anyone with any morals whatsoever.

meh. Pretty much what I live for is described by what you just said.
#28 Posted by CHAOSWEAV3R (8293 posts) -
Take it to a vet, because it might still be okay with help. If taking it to a vet is something you can't do, let it go into the wild.nuttybar
That's probably the best solution.
#29 Posted by Half-Life_man (6302 posts) -
throw it into your neighbor's yard
#30 Posted by Half-Life_man (6302 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="explicthangnail"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]Let it go.explicthangnail
I like my idea better.

So?

meh. Pretty much what I live for is described by what you just said.

I feel like I'm reading Youtube comments on Cat Runs into Wall

#31 Posted by Account_27 (13426 posts) -
At night, get gloves, grab it, let it go outside. They're not really dangerous. Or you could throw holy water on it.
#32 Posted by nightshade85 (5645 posts) -
morals aside, you could pretty much switch the word humane with convenient - I have no problem with killing it, I just don't have the desire to make it needlessly suffer - in our town the vet comes like twice a week and it would cost money plus I would have to babysit it until then. Also, if I released it back into the wild it will probably needlessly suffer than die or if it does get better it might go right back where it was - right above my sister's room to scare the hell out of her every night
#33 Posted by DarkCarnage92 (145 posts) -
this is not a joke, i called my uncle (his a vet)  best thing is to get it drank (8%) and let it rest for a while whan it wakes up let it go free
#34 Posted by sh4d0wc4st3r (3623 posts) -
If you want to be REALLY humane, I think that bat deserves a fair trial before given the death penatly... and then do him like Saddam...