More than half of military rape victims are men

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

On average 38 men are raped every day

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Terrible, yeah...but this is simply because they are far and away the majority. But the percent of women raped is almost three times higher.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Terrible, yeah...but this is simply because they are far and away the majority. But the percent of women raped is almost three times higher.

Could of just left it at terrible and called it a day.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintLeonidas

@CreasianDevaili said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Could have? Yes. But why would I? It is relevant to this post. Sure, it is terrible that half of those sexually assaulted in the military are men; but if we are going to discuss the topic why focus on the smaller percentage of victims? Just because the Young Turk is just realizing this, doesn't mean it hasn't been brought up and discussed for a few years now. So if it isn't new information, why still only discuss this one side?

TrueChartreuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 TrueChartreuse
Member since 2014 • 97 Posts

Yeah we get it @The_Last_Ride, you hate feminism so much that it objectively makes you appear to be homosexual.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintLeonidas

@truechartreuse said:

Yeah we get it @The_Last_Ride, you hate feminism so much that it objectively makes you appear to be homosexual.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CreasianDevaili

@SaintLeonidas said:

@CreasianDevaili said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Could have? Yes. But why would I? It is relevant to this post. Sure, it is terrible that half of those sexually assaulted in the military are men; but if we are going to discuss the topic why focus on the smaller percentage of victims? Just because the Young Turk is just realizing this, doesn't mean it hasn't been brought up and discussed for a few years now. So if it isn't new information, why still only discuss this one side?

Well technically it isn't the smaller percentage of the whole. Well, I guess we're shooting right into political so yeah screw that. Okay. I guess it's worth discussing if you have seen or read any research into the percentage of women in the percentage of people raped staying level against itself. As in over the course of 10 years the 30% increase of women in the military has been met with similar escalation of rape? Or did the increase of women for selection of rapists in the military effect the percentage of men raped in escalation or the opposite?

I mean all that you've given to discuss is that men only get raped because not enough women are there to get raped instead.

Or did you mean something else? Not being hostile and maybe because of the lack of tone with words you meant something else?

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

nice

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SaintLeonidas

@CreasianDevaili said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@CreasianDevaili said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Well technically it isn't the smaller percentage of the whole. Well, I guess we're shooting right into political so yeah screw that. Okay. I guess it's worth discussing if you have seen or read any research into the percentage of women in the percentage of people raped staying level against itself. As in over the course of 10 years the 30% increase of women in the military has been met with similar escalation of rape? Or did the increase of women for selection of rapists in the military effect the percentage of men raped in escalation or the opposite?

I mean all that you've given to discuss is that men only get raped because not enough women are there to get raped instead.

Or did you mean something else? Not being hostile and maybe because of the lack of tone with words you meant something else?

Don't understand where I ever did anything in the bold.

Anyway, the military (active duty force) is about 85% (1.2 million) men and 15% (200,000) women. The total of reported sexual assaults is around 30,000 a year, based on 2012 and 2013 numbers. The percentage of that 30,000 victims that is men and women is about 50/50 (as the video explains). So 15,000 of the 1.2 million men have reported assault - so roughly 1.25% of all active duty men; however that is nothing when you consider the 15,000 of the 200,000 women who have reported assault, which comes to roughly 7.5%.

So yeah, it is terrible that so many men have reported sexual assault...but given that proportionally 6 times more women are assaulted makes its just as (if not more) important to discuss in this topic.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CreasianDevaili

@SaintLeonidas said:

@CreasianDevaili said:

Don't understand where I ever did anything in the bold.

Anyway, the military (active duty force) is about 85% (1.2 million) men and 15% (200,000) women. The total of reported sexual assaults is around 30,000 a year, based on 2012 and 2013 numbers. The percentage of that 30,000 victims that is men and women is about 50/50 (as the video explains). So 15,000 of the 1.2 million men have reported assault - so roughly 1.25% of all active duty men; however that is nothing when you consider the 15,000 of the 200,000 women who have reported assault, which comes to roughly 7.5%.

So yeah, it is terrible that so many men have reported sexual assault...but given that proportionally 6 times more women are assaulted makes its just as (if not more) important to discuss in this topic.

Where in lies why I said your initial statement came across as you bolded from my post.

Without a much longer scale across time that, given how things have changed over the last 20-30 years, it is impossible for numbers alone do little but show that there is a preference. Which is normal. But how important is the preference when it has long been established as you yourself pointed out?

We could say women are an easier target for X or Y reasons but we can also say that men are as well. Mix of social doctrine, sexist or not, among other things are all up for grabs in why or why not. Hell we could say that distinct disproportion of the total number of women in direct combat roles against men is valid. Does not mean it is or isn't true but regardless it does not change that men and women are being raped.

So it comes down to how important to correcting the issue is the preference when we cannot stack the situation against say Chicago, IL rape statistics. Or for instance prison as most do not mix the inmates. Even the inter social complexities of civilian, prison, and military isn't something that overlaps so effortlessly. Reporting, not reporting, and all that jazz.

So you infer that the numbers pointing to women being raped at a much larger percentage of representation is more important to the problem as it were than the affected representation of men.

Okay then.

Can you explain what you think people should see or understand from that perspective and most importantly how that perspective can efficiently tackle a problem that effects an entire spectrum? Because that is how I read that perspective that you told me to see. So if you could actually explain to me how I should be seeing it then hey I certainly wouldn't mind. So many ways to see this and even more to look at the presented data and shake one's head at just how vague and utterly broken down the transparency can possibly be.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

"One of the myths is that the perpetrators identify as gay, which is by and large not the case. It's not about the sex. It's about power and control."

Loading Video...

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

In the military sexual assault has a broad definition. People hear the word assault and automatically think that assault means rape. While rape is a form of sexual assault, it is also considered sexual assault if you give somebody a "good game" pat on the ass. I am in no way excusing inappropriate touching, and with the way the military is right now that is a great way to end your career.

People on the outside may not know this, but it is to the point now that if you are even accused of sexual assault you are assumed guilty until proven innocent. Senior commanders are being relieved and demoted because they haven't done enough to protect victims of sexual assault.

Also, while there are victims there are also people who lie to retaliate against superiors. In the military adultery is illegal so some married troops may claim rape to protect themselves from adultery charges. Commanders are reluctant to press charges against somebody who made a false report because it may discourage real victims from coming forward.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@truechartreuse said:

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

they shouldn't be dressed in those slutty uniforms if they don't want to get raped.

BAM! nailed it!

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

I do recall I took a sociology class a few years ago. I was speaking with the professor one time after class, and he told me that the group that was most at risk for rape was young men in prison.

I liked that class. It was mostly class discussions and group projects.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: LOL and your point being?

And 90% of those happen in jail.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

huh? For those that only want to shed light on female rape, it also happens to men. That was my point.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

huh? For those that only want to shed light on female rape, it also happens to men. That was my point.

Ahh ok was just wondering what you were trying to say

But ya "rape" happens to men even women can "rape" a man.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Rapes pretty bad

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SaintLeonidas

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

How was that your point? You never once mentioned female rape, or ANYTHING about how male rape isn't talked about as often.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Last_Ride

@SaintLeonidas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

How was that your point? You never once mentioned female rape, or ANYTHING about how male rape isn't talked about as often.

Did you watch the video? It was all in there...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

It's bad no matter who does it

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaintLeonidas

@The_Last_Ride said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

Did you watch the video? It was all in there...

All the video does is talk about men sexually assaulted in the military. That doesn't mean your OP was intended to show those that only focus on female rape that it also happens to men.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I bet the rate is actually higher since rape for both sexes is heavily under-reported.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@SaintLeonidas: Female, male, whatever. Rape is bad. No matter what. My point of the post was that men also get raped. And it's pretty much getting ignored

thatnordicguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thatnordicguy
Member since 2014 • 150 Posts

Okay. This doesn't exactly surprise me considering there's more men in the military than women. Is this some MRA bullshit? Not to imply that I'm a feminist, **** both movements. Though you could just be trying to prove a point to the people who say that women have it so bad in the US which is what I assume.

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

@truechartreuse said:

You just made my day.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

As a man i guess it matters on how you look at it.

And luckily i am quite a law abiding citizen so i wont be going to jail anytime soon. Also that kind of thing happens more in american or prisons where you dont have a single man cell.

Also as a ex-army grunt i never saw anything even remotely sexual happen, might be because we were not that far from cute iraquian girls and in afghanistan we were close to the british troops.

leonluvwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 leonluvwow
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

That's a really terrible thing.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I bet the rate is actually higher since rape for both sexes is heavily under-reported.

Sadly you're correct

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

As a man i guess it matters on how you look at it.

And luckily i am quite a law abiding citizen so i wont be going to jail anytime soon. Also that kind of thing happens more in american or prisons where you dont have a single man cell.

Also as a ex-army grunt i never saw anything even remotely sexual happen, might be because we were not that far from cute iraquian girls and in afghanistan we were close to the british troops.

Never saw anything like that either in the army either

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

And people complain about my soggy knee.