Moderator's Hot Seat - Featuring AdobeArtist (NEW POLL)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Greetings denizens of Gamespot, and welcome to the first instalment of what's to be an ongoing exploration into the strangest and darkest reaches of the internet – the mind of a moderator.

Important to note that this is not just an Off Topic thing, but a Q&A that encompasses all of Gamespot, with mods from across the boards and where all users are welcome to participate. There are sticky notifications in all the major discussion boards (General Gaming Discussion and System Wars) as well as the platform specific boards to brings every poster in every part of gamespot under one roof for this ongoing series. So you'll interact with the mods you're familiar with and get to know the others from different parts of the forums.

Oh you might think the life of a moderator is all champagne and caviar, fame & fortune, and prestige beyond measure. But let me assure you fine folks that nothing could be farther from the truth. For one thing we don't even get paid for what we do :P So now peer beneath the veil as you get to find out what makes us tick.

Each week (from Wed-Wed), one of us will assume the Hot Seat and take questions from you, the life blood of this community. Oh sure you could ask us what our favourite food is, or movie, or actor, or get our opinions on gaming. But why stop there? Want to know what super power we would choose if we could possess one? Where we would go if we could travel in time? Who we think would win in a fight between Wolverine and Sonic the Hedgehog?

Be inventive. Be imaginative. By all means push us to the brink of our sanity :twisted: And while some playful ribbing is permitted here (even encouraged ;) ), don't get outright offensive or insulting. TOU rules still apply.But also let me emphasise although you can ask about our experiences as a mod, this isn't about moderation inquiries, or a supplement to Ask the Mods. Also mods will reserve the right not to answer a question if it gets too personal.

Think of it more like we're all just chillin' at a bar, getting to know each other in conversation and just having fun. Take it as a social experience.

OUR BODIES ARE READY!!

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AdobeArtist  Moderator

OK, so since I am beginning this new forum activity, I'll be the seat's first victi... errr, participant!! :D :D

Now for the question openers to get the ball rolling;

Gender? Male

where are you from? Toronto, Canada

how'd you come up with your name?

As an orphan I was raised by a monastery in the Adobe Mountains where I learned... ok c'mon already, if you've seen my sigs and SWM covers, my name should be pretty obvious :P

the boards you frequent most, and unions that you're a member of?

System Wars, and a member of GUFU, SWM union (though I haven't added much in a while :( ), SW Awards, and Mass Effect Universe

what was the first moderation you received?

My first moderation was for Spam/Advert back in Jul 2006. I made the cardinal mistake of posting "in before lock" and got a point loss for the deed. I didn't use the old vernacular of "inb4 lock", I kinda hoped I'd get some slack for proper grammar, but ohhhhh no :P

Some other neat things about me;

What's your favourite movie? The Shawshank Redemption

What do you like on your pizzas?

I am a MEAT LOVER baby!! Gimme pepperoni, bacon, sauasage, ground beef, and lots of it. Don't get me wrong, I like my veggies as much as anybody, so tomato and green peppers are fine by me. Just no mushroom or olives, ughh.

What gaming universe would I like to live in?

By far the Mass Effect universe. Interstellar travel, a cultural melting pot between loads of varying species, so mmany fascinating races connected by a rich history, and the cool tech accentuated by gorgeous aesthetics.

Who do I think would win in a fight between Kasumi (DOA) and Samus (Metroid)?

As long as lots of battle wear & tear diminishes their outfits, we all win :D

OK gamespotters, lets see what you got 8)

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

I got one..How much beer can solidruss drink before stunning a thread?

----

Can't be sure but I hear he's quite the light weight :P
AA

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Did you ever have an pets when you were younger?

Do you have pets now?

What game are you looking forward to right now?

Do you have a backlog?

What's your favorite pizza place?

Favorite book?

Ever read War & Peace?

-----

As a kid I went through some of the basic pets, goldfish, and parakeets. From my late teens to early 20's I had a German Shepard named Logan. And yeah I did name him after Wolverine :) No pets right now.

Most lookingt forward to Batman Arkham City. Arkham Asylum was by and far THE best super hero game ever made. EVER.

My backlog would include, Ninja Gaiden 2, Bioshock 2, RE5, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Dead Rising 2, Dead Space, and I guess I can add Fora 4 to that, as I put it on hold with Arkham City so close to release.

Favourite pizza place is a little known parlour here in Canada, Dante's which has only 2 or 3 locations (that I'm aware of). This is not fastfood, it is gourmet. They don't offer a 30 min or even 45 min guarantee on delivery and it is worth the wait. They're pepperoni slices are thick and all in all each slice is very hearty. But if I picked from fastfood it would be Dominoes. Oh and THANKS for making me HUNGRY lol :P

My favourite book is a 7 book series, Stephen King's Dark Tower. The most amazing blend of fantasy, sci-fi. western, and contemporary urban. Called his magnum opus, and rightfully so, it's a sweeping epic. The really cool thing is the connection to so many of his other books including, The Stand, Salem's Lot, Herats in Atlantis, and the Dragon's Eyes.

Never read War & Peace.

AA

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Which do you like better: Blondes or brunettes?
Tigers or Jaguars?
What is the meaning of life?

------

Ohhhh that is a TOUGH one. I mean on the one hand you have Laura Vandervoort, Billy Piper, Elisha Cuthbert, Scarlett Johansson, and Jessica Alba to represent Blondes. On the other hand on team Brunette you got Summer Glau, Anne Hathaway, Kate Beckinsale, Morena baccarin, Angelina Jolie, and... oh yeah jessica Alba too. Decisions decisions.... ok brunettes win with Lara Croft :oops::oops:

Definitely Tigers. The stripes make them cool. Especially love Bengal Tigers.

The meaning of life is video games of course. Pity those that haven't seen the light yet :P

AA

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

Can you divide by Zero, Powerful mod!!! :o

(And good to see we Have a fellow Northerner in a Position of Power on GS :P )

-----

I can even divide by -13 :D

AA

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

How did you get chosen to be first?

----

This being my project, which is an idea I got from a game we played in the GUFU union, it seemed only appropriate as the facilitator to step up to the plate first. When my time is up in 2 weeks, I choose the next to take the seat, and from there each mod lst in the seat chooses the next in line.

AA

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Have you ever considered stepping down from your mod position and becoming just another user again?

----

They'll have to take my hammer from my cold dead hands :twisted: :P

AA

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Are going to answer these questions?

What do you like about being a mod?

What do you hate about being a mod?

----

That is the general idea here :)

The likes - being able to stop a "forest fire" that often crops up in forums, helping users at Ask the Mods, making thread stickies for deserving posters, making witty remarks when I lock a thread, being able to edit other people's posts like what I'm doing here (SO much easier than multi quoting to answer everybody) and the FEAR everybody has of me :twisted: Ohhhh c'mon, you KNOW I'm kidding about that last one ;) :P

The dislikes - seeing just how many reports come in on a daily basis, especially with how many are so trivial... and as I knock a few down, more just come in :cry::cry:

AA

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

OUR BODIES ARE READY!!

AdobeArtist

That would be a pleasant surprise. I'd like to know what Catwoman is really like

----

You'd never know it, but she's a dog lover. Stops to pet cute puppies all the time. True story :o

AA

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

A bacon-lover. < 3 < 3 < 3

If it's clear in your name that you love photoshop 'n all that, why do you put 'sig designed adobe artist' in your own signatures?
Is it so you can draw as much attention as possible to your Photoshopping? 3=

------

I'm just fastidious about credit given where it's due, and I always make sure that others receive theirs when it's coming.

AA

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Never have I seen such an elaborate trap for unsuspecting posters,

WOW, nice try Adobe;)

Lexter45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lexter45
Member since 2011 • 1204 Posts

Hey Adobe Artist, what's your favorite straight up Third Person Shooter? Mine's Mass Effect 2.

Oh and do you agree that Batman Arkham Asylum = worst Batman game ever?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26097 Posts

In your honest opinion, assuming we are in a realm of infinite universes and infinite realities, would there have ever been one (1) time when you didn't beat me in Iron Shop?

-----

I believe that happens in the same universe where Apple has a current gen home console (not handheld), Microsoft is leading in the handheld wars, Sony has the most affordable console, and Nintendo is the biggest developer in PC software.

AA

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

If you like System Wars so much, does that mean you're a hardcore sadist?

----

If anything that makes me a hardcoremasochist:lol::lol::lol:

AA

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Don't care for you. Pass.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#18 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Why are we having a Hot Seat on OT for a mod who doesn't frequent OT?

In fact, why are we having this at all? It seems like a healfhearted attempt at community outreach that could better be spent with just talking to users instead of an autobiographical Q&A session on par with a teenibopper magazine.

Both questions I'd like answers for. No malice intended.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
What's your favorite adobe work that you've done?
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kcube

THE_DRUGGIE
Yeah doesn't make sense. Solidruss should have this thread here. SOrry to the othert OT mods but honestly he can kick your a** :P
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Q: Why wasn't this a SWM article!

----

I was planning this for some time, but wanted to drop it on the forums as a surprise.

SURPRIIIIIIIIISE :D :D

AA

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DroidPhysX

In fact, why are we having this at all? It seems like a healfhearted attempt at community outreach that could better be spent with just talking to users instead of an autobiographical Q&A session on par with a teenibopper magazine.

THE_DRUGGIE

They're probably laughing their asses off. "They actually think we give a crap :lol: :lol: :lol:"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

What is your most anticipated game of the rest of the year?

Favorite movie?

Favorite actor and/or actress?

If you could live in any game world, which one would it be?

Sorry if you've answered any of these before, I didn't look through each page :P

----

I actually answered the favourite movie as being Shawshank Redemption, and the game universe I'd like to live in is Mass Effect. Just see the 2nd post for a more detailed answer.

My favourite actors include Kevin Spacey, Samuel L Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Sean Bean, Steve Buscemi, and Al Pacino. Favourite actrsses; Jodi Joster, Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Summer Glau, Jessica Alba, Amanda Seyfried, Halle Berry, and Angelina Jolie.

AA

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

DroidPhysX

They're probably laughing their asses off. "They actually think we give a crap :lol: :lol: :lol:"

You know what, I think that about sums up my impression about this. It doesn't look like much of an effort to increase goodwill between regular users and the mod team (no offense to the mod answering questions here, but GS should've at least started off with an OT-frequenting mod for OT's thread) and would be effort better spent on talking more about these rule loosenings that have been in discussion lately.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Okay Adobe, I know you're a ME fan (like me), so Shepard versus Jim Raynor (Starcraft 2). Who wins?

-----

My FemShep is a Sentinel. So with her tech powers she'll disable Raynor's shields and weapons systems, then her biotics will rip his armour apart. GAME OVER 8)

AA

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Baconbits2004
Ehhh, this could be fun. Maybe they're testing the waters with someone who doesn't post here as much before moving onto Alli 'Druss and Drac.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Baconbits2004
Adobe, are you guys testing the waters a bit before moving onto Alli 'Druss and Drac?
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

If you could become any animal by night, what would it be, and where would you go?

----

I'd be a gorilla and begin the revolution to take over the planet

AA

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DroidPhysX

Adobe, are you guys testing the waters a bit before moving onto Alli 'Druss and Drac? Baconbits2004
You'll have to wait a bit. Drac is telling him how to answer the question.

arad96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 arad96
Member since 2009 • 7783 Posts

What is your best work or design on using photoshop? (post please :P )

-----

Here are some of the ones I'm proudest of. Though I gotta say, some of my real best work is... ummmm.... NOT safe to post here or most forums ;) :oops:

AA

These ones being hand drawn and coloured in Photoshop.

Jameslols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jameslols
Member since 2011 • 40 Posts

On average I how much Pr0nz do you watch? I need this info for another OT thread, thanks.

----

Basically what the average man watches on average

AA

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DroidPhysX

On average I how much Pr0nz do you watch? I need this info for another OT thread, thanks.

Jameslols
That might explain his absence.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 commonfate

Jameslols

Also, what genres^

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Hey Adobe Artist, what's your favorite straight up Third Person Shooter? Mine's Mass Effect 2.

Lexter45

Yeah, ME2 is one of the best straight up third person shooters out there.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

[QUOTE="Jameslols"]

commonfate

Also, what genres^

If the answer does not include "midget" somewhere in it, I will be profoundly disappointed.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

What kind of music do you like?

Do you think the end of the world means a human vs zombie fight?

----

I have pretty ecclectic tastes. From Aerosmith, to Blue Oyster Cult, Boston, White Snake, Hall & Oates, Tina Turner, Smash Mouth, Bare Naked Ladies, Garbage, Def Lepard, Chicago, Crash Test Dummies, Genesis, Level 42, Madonna (just from the 80s and 90s). That's what comes to mind now.

Though what's really my favourite is the orchestral scores in movies like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Shawshank Redemption, Kill Bill, Godfather, Superman, Chris Nolan's Batman movies, the original Stargate movie, and such. That would also include the collected works of John Williams and Danny Elfman.

End of the World? It ends with dragons vs vampires.

AA

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

I was thinking your username would be related to something like Photoshop. :P

What're some of your favorite bands/artists? Favorite brand of computer?

----

The music question is answered above. And I'm not that particular about computer brands. I'd be good with Sony VIAO, HP (what I currently have), Gateway, or Dell.

AA

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Lexter45

My mods powers.... sense a trap with this one ;) :P

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Can you eat a chili pepper in one bite?

In your opinion, the lamest Batman villain?

----

I have to coat my mouth with wax before biting down on a chili pepper ;)

Lamest Batman villain? I'd have to give that one to Killer Croc I guess. Nothing really extraordinary about his powers besides superhuman strength, which is so common. And character wise, as a "brute" there is nothing compelling about him at all. Just a flat underdeveloped muscle monster.

AA

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

THE_DRUGGIE

You know what, I think that about sums up my impression about this. It doesn't look like much of an effort to increase goodwill between regular users and the mod team (no offense to the mod answering questions here, but GS should've at least started off with an OT-frequenting mod for OT's thread) and would be effort better spent on talking more about these rule loosenings that have been in discussion lately.

This is actually a collective effort involving all the mods (at least the ones that have volunteered so far) participating in this community acitivty. I chose Off Topic to host the thread because it pretty much is an off topic kind of subject, and also for this board having the most active mods. In the meanwhile the other boards (System Wars and GGD, and I still need to do this for the platform specific boards) have a sticky thread to direct traffic from the entire gamespot forum community into one spot to participate in these Q&A's.

So when the stickies update to announce that a GGD mod (just an example) is on the seat, they'll come here to take their shots at that mod, but everybody from any board is welcome to chat up with the featured mod. And I'm hoping that you'll interact not only with the OT mods, but also get to know the rest of the moderation team, as this is a team effort :)

And this reason I'm on the seat first, is simply as my brain child (actually an idea I imported from the GUFU union) it only seemed sensible for me to step up to the plate first. leading by example. But you can expect to see mods from OT and the other boards taking the spotlight over time, each in a 2 week cycle.

So, got any questions you'd like to ask? :)

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

Kcube

Yeah doesn't make sense. Solidruss should have this thread here.

Lots of moderators will have a turn, don't worry I'll be in the seat sometime down the road :P

Point of these is to get users to know moderators that may not interact on one board. While it may be interesting to ask me some question for example I'm sure there are some cross over users from other boards that want to know a bit about other moderators that frequent other boards.

And who knows? Maybe this new feature will get some moderators to post a tad more in Off Topic!

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kcube

[QUOTE="Kcube"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

solidruss

Lots of moderators will have a turn, don't worry I'll be in the seat sometime down the road :P

Point of these is to get users to know moderators that may not interact on one board. While it may be interesting to ask me some question for example I'm sure there are some cross over users from other boards that want to know a bit about other moderators that frequent other boards.

And who knows? Maybe this new feature will get some moderators to post a tad more in Off Topic!

I'm biased :P
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="Kcube"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

solidruss

How much do I have to lobby to choose the next mod?
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 commonfate

[QUOTE="solidruss"]

[QUOTE="Kcube"] Yeah doesn't make sense. Solidruss should have this thread here.DroidPhysX

How much do I have to lobby to choose the next mod?

The only candidate that I see actually running is Raw. I did my part and voted as a good citizen but did the rest of OT?

Definitely wasn't thinking straight -_-...

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 solidruss

How much do I have to lobby to choose the next mod?DroidPhysX

PM the moderator you want to ask the questions too. They have to volunteer before they get in the seat so to speak

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] They're probably laughing their asses off. "They actually think we give a crap :lol: :lol: :lol:"

AdobeArtist

This is actually a collective effort involving all the mods (at least the ones that have volunteered so far) participating in this community acitivty. I chose Off Topic to host the thread because it pretty much is an off topic kind of subject, and also for this board having the most active mods. In the meanwhile the other boards (System Wars and GGD, and I still need to do this for the platform specific boards) have a sticky thread to direct traffic from the entire gamespot forum community into one spot to participate in these Q&A's.

So when the stickies update to announce that a GGD mod (just an example) is on the seat, they'll come here to take their shots at that mod, but everybody from any board is welcome to chat up with the featured mod. And I'm hoping that you'll interact not only with the OT mods, but also get to know the rest of the moderation team, as this is a team effort :)

And this reason I'm on the seat first, is simply as my brain child (actually an idea I imported from the GUFU union) it only seemed sensible for me to step up to the plate first. leading by example. But you can expect to see mods from OT and the other boards taking the spotlight over time, each in a 2 week cycle.

So, got any questions you'd like to ask? :)

Not really, can't think of any questions to ask mods outside of asking why they wrongly modded me.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 solidruss

The only candidate that I see actually running is Raw. I did my part and voted as a good citizen but did the rest of OT?

commonfate

This has nothing to do with picking a new moderator for the team

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kcube

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

How much do I have to lobby to choose the next mod?solidruss

PM the moderator you want to ask the questions too. They have to volunteer before they get in the seat so to speak

I have decided...I want to be a mod. I will abuse my powers on the unjust...I will basiclly be like Superman..Swooping in and out and owning people :)
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kcube

[QUOTE="commonfate"]

solidruss

This has nothing to do with picking a new moderator for the team

Lawl..see what happens when you post a serious thread in OT :P TBH it would be better to have an all mod thread in the most visited boards. MOst of us already know the mods are good..if they weren't they wouldn't be community leaders.