This topic is locked from further discussion.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
what is it currently?
MindFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MindFreeze
Member since 2007 • 2814 Posts
Which country/province/state?
darkodonnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darkodonnie
Member since 2007 • 2384 Posts
It depends where you live, for me in New York it is $7.15 / hour
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
The national minimum wage is $6.85/hour, and it will go up to $7.25 shortly. It can also vary by state.
Mystery-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mystery-
Member since 2007 • 2144 Posts
It all varies by state
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]The national minimum wage is $6.85/hour, and it will go up to $7.25 shortly. It can also vary by state.AmyMizuno
I believe it's only $5.85, and it's hardly hept up with inflation over the years.

You're right. It was a typo. It will hit $6.55 and then $7.25 in July 2008 and 2009 respectively.
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Premier1101
Member since 2008 • 13515 Posts
federal minimum wage is different than state minimum wage. mine is sitting at 7.25 in Iowa
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

I believe it's only $5.85, and it's hardly hept up with inflation over the years.AmyMizuno

Kept up with inflation? Er... aren't wages a principle driver of inflation? Prices can't be raised too high if the consumer's spending power remains the same.

hwan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hwan88
Member since 2006 • 170 Posts

[QUOTE="AmyMizuno"]I believe it's only $5.85, and it's hardly hept up with inflation over the years.Oleg_Huzwog

Kept up with inflation? Er... aren't wages a principle driver of inflation? Prices can't be raised too high if the consumer's spending power remains the same.

the veracity of that statement aside, everyone's wages =/= the minimum wage. i'd guess a pretty small percentage of the workforce makes the minimum wage, and many of those who do are teenagers who live at home and have no bills and can spend nearly all their money.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Oleg_Huzwog
the veracity of that statement aside, everyone's wages =/= the minimum wage. i'd guess a pretty small percentage of the workforce makes the minimum wage, and many of those who do are teenagers who live at home and have no bills and can spend nearly all their money. hwan88

But doesn't an increase to minimum wage cause a chain reaction of sorts? If the burger flipper gets an extra dollar per hour, won't the guy working the cash register want a raise of his own? If the guy at the cash register gets a raise, won't the assistant manager want a little extra?

...or am I way off base?

dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#14 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts
Think it's around 6 an hour here in Alberta, but the effective min wadge is around 10, desperate need of workers here right now, hell, the corner store is offering 11 an hour with a 700 signing bonus.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oleg_Huzwog
So what? If they don't make that extra money, someone else will. Probably the people at the top.AmyMizuno

What extra money?

Quick-Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Quick-Time
Member since 2007 • 610 Posts

Varies by location.

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
Connecticut is $7.65
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Oleg_Huzwog
If the burger flipper doesn't make the extra dollar an hour, someone else will, such as the CEO or investors of the corporation. Minimum wage increases hardly have any effect on inflation, it only increases the fairness of distribution of wealth.AmyMizuno

I'm still confused where this extra dollar an hour came from.

If there is a chain reaction of raises for everyone, then increasing minimum wage does nothing to distribute wealth. All it does is saturate the whole chain with extra cash.

Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
In CA I think its like 8.00 an hour...
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Oleg_Huzwog
It cuts into the gross profits of the corporation, as do all wages. What you don't seem to understand is that if the burger flipper doesn't get that dollar, then the investors and the higher-ups in the corporation will.AmyMizuno

I do understand the concept that if there is an extra dollar, someone out there will receive it. What I'm not getting is where this extra dollar comes from. If wages stop rising, prices will eventually have to stop rising as well. If prices stop rising, there's no extra dollar for anyone.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

If there is a chain reaction of raises for everyone

Oleg_Huzwog

that's not a certainty, though.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Oleg_Huzwog

Prices rise for lots of reasons, and wages is hardly one of them. One of the reasons for today's inflation is the banking system creating money out of thin air. Here is an explination (copy and paste job from one of my previous posts).AmyMizuno

Wages most certainly impact prices, albeit in a roundabout way. Prices are set to maximize revenue. If I'm selling X number of burgers at the price of Y dollars, and learn that I could be selling the same number if I bump the price up to Z, I'd do it with no hesitation. Naturally, I don't want to raise prices too far so as not to disuade customers from giving me their money. I'll try to find a level where number of burgers multiplied by cost of burger is at its highest.

At the consumer end, if I'm used to buying my burgers for Y, I'd be a bit pissed off at first when I see it now costs Z. But wait! I just got a raise in my paycheck. Y'know what? I can and will still buy that burger for Z.

In my simplified view of economics, I see that wage and price increases are in a perpetual chicken-and-egg cycle. You bump up wages, people have more money to spend. If people have more money to spend, prices will inflate to a level that maximizes revenue. When prices go up, people ask for another increase in wages. And so on...

jameeler91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 jameeler91
Member since 2006 • 1312 Posts
I'm working right now and i make $7 an hour.
I think it's supposed to go up to $7.25 by the end of the year not sure.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Oleg_Huzwog
There's a lot of truth behind what you say, but I think that the prices are generally close to what to is known as a 'market equilibrium' in economics (a balance between supply and demand). All of the major corporations hire economists in order to determine how to make the most profits.

I do not however, agree with you that wage increases will cause inflation. I think the wage increases are very much needed and will bring more balance to an economy gone wrong.

AmyMizuno

Then it looks like we've narrowed it down to the point at which we disagree - whether or not an increase in a customer's cash supply eventually leads to a increase in a seller's price.

I'd love to continue with this topic, but I've got a craving for X number of burgers. Fortunately for me and my stomach, I've got X*Y dollars in my pocket. :P