Michigan Gay Marriage Ban Overturned by Federal Judge.

#1 Posted by Master_Live (15404 posts) -

Michigan gay marriage ban overturned

A federal judge on Friday struck down Michigan’s 2004 ban on same-sex marriage.

U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman ruled that the state’s ban was unconstitutional, making Michigan the 18th state to legalize gay marriage. It is also legal in the District of Columbia.

The Detroit Free Press uploaded the ruling.

“After reviewing the evidence presented at the trial, including the testimony of various expert witnesses, the exhibits, and stipulations, and after considering all of the legal issues involved, the Court concludes that the Michigan Marriage Amendment is unconstitutional and will enjoin its enforcement," the judge concluded.

More than half of voters approved the Michigan Marriage Amendment in a referendum in 2004, which said the state couldn't recognize or perform both same-sex marriages and civil unions.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette filed an emergency request for a stay of the ruling on Friday.

Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Mich.) said in a statement he was “overjoyed” that the state lifted the “discriminatory ban.”

“It’s my sincere hope that Gov. Rick Snyder and Attorney General Bill Schuette will respect the ruling of the federal court today and stop wasting taxpayer dollars in defending such a blatant, discriminatory ban,” he said.

Since December, The Associated Press notes that bans on gay marriage have been overturned in Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and Virginia.

------------------------------------------------------

The gayness rises.

#2 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10301 posts) -

I dont understand, they said "Leave it to the states", but when a state makes a decision that is for anit gay marriage, it gets over turned. So how is that leaving to the states, when the only pro-gay marriage is the option?

#3 Posted by Master_Live (15404 posts) -

Leave it to the states as long as it doesn't goes against the Constitution.

#4 Posted by Trender_man (143 posts) -

so when do the droughts kick in?

#5 Posted by jimkabrhel (15423 posts) -

Hopefully this will happen in Wisconsin soon.

Your comments never cease to amaze me Master_Live. So much disinterested sarcasm.

#6 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17677 posts) -

Happy to see my State "lose". The States arguments were so beyond laughable...

Truly disappointed that this thing got passed through our state, one that tends to be more liberal. Damn PoS conservatives trying to ruin our state, first with our conservative governor and then this shitty amendment.

We just need to have the Supreme Court step in and settle this already. There is no argument to be made against gay marriage besides religious folks find it icky.

#7 Posted by Shmiity (5246 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow: Get over it. You can't stop social movements. Yes, gay marriage acceptance is the only option. So let's stop spending tax dollars and wasting time on this non-issue.

#8 Edited by lostrib (41148 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

I dont understand, they said "Leave it to the states", but when a state makes a decision that is for anit gay marriage, it gets over turned. So how is that leaving to the states, when the only pro-gay marriage is the option?

Who said that?

#9 Posted by hippiesanta (9978 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

The gayness rises.

congrats to you

#10 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

This is good news. The sooner gay marriage becomes the norm the sooner the LGBT fad goes away.

I wonder who/what is next. Should men demand their right to somehow bear children?

#11 Posted by lostrib (41148 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

This is good news. The sooner gay marriage becomes the norm the sooner the LGBT fad goes away.

I wonder who/what is next. Should men demand their right to somehow bear children?

yes, because those are totally the same thing

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (24976 posts) -

Conservatives will forever be upset about this until they're allowed to marry their guns.

#13 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GazaAli said:

yes, because those are totally the same thing

That was satire...

#14 Posted by Master_Live (15404 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

@Master_Live said:

The gayness rises.

congrats to you

Thank you baby.

#15 Posted by TheFlush (5611 posts) -

yay, party in da truck!

#16 Posted by dave123321 (34303 posts) -

I hope the us doesn't lose it's reputation

#17 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7864 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Getting dumber, or getting better at trolling?

#18 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

You're not big on satire are you

#19 Posted by dave123321 (34303 posts) -

You were just too good, Ali :(

#20 Edited by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

You were just too good, Ali :(

I know right. Some people are really uptight around here :/

#21 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7864 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

Considering you've openly admitted to preferring a racist child over a gay one, you never know.

#22 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

Considering you've openly admitted to preferring a racist child over a gay one, you never know.

Hmm, what does that have to do with anything related to this topic and my comment? More importantly, in what manner is this supposed to discredit and undermine me?

#23 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7864 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Hmm, what does that have to do with anything related to this topic and my comment? More importantly, in what manner is this supposed to discredit and undermine me?

This topic is related to gay marriage and homosexuality. I was referencing your past history in posting about said topics per my post above. Hence why your initial post may or may not be taken as satire given your absurd views on homosexuality or gender identity.

#24 Edited by toast_burner (22415 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

An openly homophobic person in a thread about gay rights. Do the maths.

You've shown countless times in the past that you know next to nothing about sexuality and have no intention on learning.

#25 Posted by GamingGod999 (3134 posts) -

Yay for progression.

#26 Posted by GreySeal9 (24947 posts) -

Social cons are losing pretty badly on this particular issue.

#27 Posted by Jankarcop (10242 posts) -

Slippery slope, next thing beastiality will be lega.

#28 Posted by Aljosa23 (25663 posts) -

@GreySeal9 said:

And life in general.

#29 Posted by GreySeal9 (24947 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

And life in general.

lol. That too.

#30 Edited by lostrib (41148 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

Slippery slope, next thing beastiality will be lega.

No, next people will be marrying chairs

#31 Edited by Master_Live (15404 posts) -

I will make my chair reclinate for consent.

#32 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9228 posts) -

Awesome. Maybe now we can move on to things that actually matter.

#33 Posted by RadecSupreme (4721 posts) -

I find it fucking retarded that people are still trying to pass anti-gay shit. It really makes the US as a country look fucking bad.

@-TheSecondSign- said:

Awesome. Maybe now we can move on to things that actually matter.

You'd think that.

#34 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Happy to see my State "lose". The States arguments were so beyond laughable...

Truly disappointed that this thing got passed through our state, one that tends to be more liberal. Damn PoS conservatives trying to ruin our state, first with our conservative governor and then this shitty amendment.

We just need to have the Supreme Court step in and settle this already. There is no argument to be made against gay marriage besides religious folks find it icky.

Even Bill O' Reilly has called out the religious right on not really having an argument at all "thumping your bible is not an argument". Honestly, the Supreme Court is going to have to move in on this in a big way, much sooner than they want to. When they punted the issue previously I don't think they realized how short a punt it was. What really grinds my grits though is all the people who decry this and other rulings as "overturning the will of the people".

Not EVERYTHING is up for a fucking vote. Minority rights should never be determined by a vote of the majority.

Yeah, the bible says Gay people are bad. It says it in the very same book that says not to wear mixed fiber clothing or eat shellfish. Conservative "Christians" ignore those two, so why the hell can't they ignore that one? They even ignore the part about killing gay people. They only need to take it one step further, but they just can't seem to let go of the hate.

#35 Posted by themajormayor (24077 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Agree with this.

BTW I would be just as interested in finding out what the mayor of Kráľovský Chlmec has to say about gay marriage as I am about this.

#36 Posted by themajormayor (24077 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

You've shown countless times in the past that you know next to nothing about sexuality and have no intention on learning.

What makes you think that he's homophobic?

I don't think that he has shown that.

#37 Posted by toast_burner (22415 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

If i recall he agreed with Russia that it should be illegal to be openly gay. He then proceeded to spew a load of ignorant nonsesne about sexuality.

#38 Posted by themajormayor (24077 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

If i recall he agreed with Russia that it should be illegal to be openly gay. He then proceeded to spew a load of ignorant nonsesne about sexuality.

I don't remember that. But I guess that's homophobic.

#39 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

This topic is related to gay marriage and homosexuality. I was referencing your past history in posting about said topics per my post above. Hence why your initial post may or may not be taken as satire given your absurd views on homosexuality or gender identity.

You still haven't answered my second question: in what manner is that preference supposed to discredit me? I prefer a racist child because I would be better equipped to deal with him, not because I approve of him in that regard. If anything, this should be condoned rather than condemned because it shows that I'm self-aware and that I know my inabilities before knowing my abilities, in lieu of claiming otherwise and despite the possibility of being the target of pain or suffering either because of the general act of making one's self vulnerable to himself and the outside world by admitting to a flaw or incapability, or because of the particular sensitivity of public opinion towards the domain to which this flaw belongs. I'm aware of my virtues and vices, the extent of my ability and impotence alike. I would not be able to deal with a gay child, at least in the best possible way, so I do not wish to have one. I will suffer because of it, and he will certainly suffer too. That's my choice in its most abstract form.

My prediction is that you will resort to the argument that there's nothing wrong with being gay, that being gay does not inflict pain or practice injustice against anyone, alongside the reality that racism is unarguably wicked and it does have the capacity to inflict pain and practice injustice against innocent people that have committed no crime. Now, this may or may not be infallible, but its definitely irrelevant to my case. What I think or do not think about homosexuality or gender identity is irrelevant as long I do not attempt to persecute a gay or transgender man or discriminate against such a man. The whole subject of homosexuality as a political or social one ends here and goes no further. What my personal ideas and perceptions of homosexuality are is the business of no one and it is not something to be used against me or as a disgrace on my part. Among those views of mine on homosexuality is the view that homosexuals made the choice, for one reason or the other, to practice sex in a way that is contrary to what our bodies are designed for. To me this is as far as homosexuality goes, its much simpler than what some people would have you believe. Consequently I owe homosexuals nothing, except abstention from any attempt to transgress or infringe on their liberty to be homosexuals. Should the public, the government or any organised body in a state try by means of alienation, marginalization, coercion, discrimination or in extreme scenarios persecution to persuade me otherwise, then they would be practicing despotism against me. Such despotism would have the peculiarity of being the tyranny of majority and/or being of a liberal nature, but it would still be an unequivocal despotism. Theocracies are nothing but a singular variation of despotism.

#40 Edited by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

You recalled incorrectly. I never voiced approval or disapproval of the law itself. Instead, I merely made the statement that I can somewhat see where the Russians were coming from or the rationale of the law in a purely abstract way; the later being that heterosexuality is the normal mode of existence for the human sexuality by virtue of both sheer statistics and biology so if we were to try and make the free development of a child's sexuality possible, we might want to consider the notion that kids need not to know about or be made aware of homosexuality, at least at early stages in their lives.

Btw, I'd be really curious to know in what way do I qualify as a homophobic? Not that it would matter given how the world practically lost all meaning.

#41 Edited by toast_burner (22415 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

You recalled incorrectly. I never voiced approval or disapproval of the law itself. Instead, I merely made the statement that I can somewhat see where the Russians were coming from or the rationale of the law in a purely abstract way; the later being that heterosexuality is the normal mode of existence for the human sexuality by virtue of both sheer statistics and biology so if we were to try and make the free development of a child's sexuality possible, we might want to consider the notion that kids need not to know about or be made aware of homosexuality, at least at early stages in their lives.

Btw, I'd be really curious to know in what way do I qualify as a homophobic? Not that it would matter given how the world practically lost all meaning.

and how do you make children unaware of gays? Chances are they will see a gay couple in the streets. And like I said you are willfully ignorant, this idea that children will become gay by being in contact with gays is bullshit. Homosexuality is just as natural as heterosexuality.

And what about gay children? If Children aren't taught about homosexuality how will they understand their own sexuality? What you're suggesting is practically psychological torture.

#42 Posted by always_explicit (3041 posts) -

Its good that people who love each other can get married. Makes me slightly angry that this much time and money had to be spent to reach this conclusion. Can always rely on good old religion to slow down progression.

#43 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

and how do you make children unaware of gays? Chances are they will see a gay couple in the streets. And like I said you are willfully ignorant, this idea that children will become gay by being in contact with gays is bullshit. Homosexuality is just as natural as heterosexuality.

Let's not derail and turn this into v.2 of that topic, after all we bickered and quarreled enough over that idea and a few more there and then. Instead, let's at least for one reply focus on your accusation to me of being a homophobe.

#44 Edited by toast_burner (22415 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

Let's not derail and turn this into v.2 of that topic, after all we bickered and quarreled enough over that idea and a few more there and then. Instead, let's at least for one reply focus on your accusation to me of being a homophobe.

Your insane idea of hiding gay people away from children makes you homophobic. It's not very different to forcing black people to wear make up so they look white.

How you can argue that it's not homophobic is a mystery to me.

#45 Posted by themajormayor (24077 posts) -

Also, I don't want to speak for Ali or misinterpret the question. But I'm just saying, if I were living in Gaza I would sure as hell rather have a racist child than a homosexual one. At least if I cared about the well being of it. It's possible to see the question from that perspective as well. But I don't remember the exact intention of whoever asked the question.

#46 Edited by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

Your insane idea of hiding gay people away from children makes you homophobic. It's not very different to forcing black people to wear make up so they look white.

You're a homophobe if you either discriminate against or persecute homosexuals, period. Beyond that you're free to say and question anything related to homosexuality. I think its really reprehensible that you make it a habit to twist my words and put things I neither said or meant in my mouth.

I think in western civilization, the term homophobe is to some extent an oxymoron of some sort. Considering how homosexuals enjoy their full liberty, I can't see how a homophone can exist.

#47 Edited by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

Also, I don't want to speak for Ali or misinterpret the question. But I'm just saying, if I were living in Gaza I would sure as hell rather have a racist child than a homosexual one. At least if I cared about the well being of it. It's possible to see the question from that perspective as well. But I don't remember the exact intention of whoever asked the question.

What you're saying has a grain, if not more, of truth. Even if I were personally to reconcile with the fact that my son is gay, it would mean nothing in relation to the big picture. People and even my own blood are still having difficulties accepting me for who or what I am, just like they always did and let me tell you, I'm nowhere near as "radical" as an openly gay person would be to them, or at least I think so.
Let me ask you a question before I proceed any further, have you lived your entire life in Sweden?

#48 Posted by toast_burner (22415 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@toast_burner said:

@themajormayor said:

@toast_burner said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

You're a homophobe if you either discriminate against or persecute homosexuals, period. Beyond that you're free to say and question anything related to homosexuality. I think its really reprehensible that you make it a habit to twist my words and put things I neither said or meant in my mouth.

I think in western civilization, the term homophobe is to some extent an oxymoron of some sort. Considering how homosexuals enjoy their full liberty, I can't see how a homophone can exist.

How is not allowing homosexuals the same rights as everyone else not discrimination?

#49 Posted by Aljosa23 (25663 posts) -

@GazaAli: "I think in western civilization, the term homophobe is to some extent an oxymoron of some sort. Considering how homosexuals enjoy their full liberty, I can't see how a homophone can exist."

I like you Gaza but this is simply not true. http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2012/may/08/gay-rights-united-states#13956785502621&get_params=true

There's still plenty of work to be done when it comes to gay rights.

#50 Posted by lostrib (41148 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@GazaAli: "I think in western civilization, the term homophobe is to some extent an oxymoron of some sort. Considering how homosexuals enjoy their full liberty, I can't see how a homophone can exist."

I like you Gaza but this is simply not true. http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2012/may/08/gay-rights-united-states#13956785502621&get_params=true

There's still plenty of work to be done when it comes to gay rights.

"Considering how homosexuals enjoy their full liberty"

...in a thread about how gay marriage had to be adjudicated by a federal judge