Michelle Obama on feeding kids

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Michelle Obama: I Couldn't Feed My Kids Right–Even with a Harvard Degree

In an interview with MSN.com, First Lady Michelle Obama explained she used to struggle to feed her kids right—even though she received an education from Harvard and Princeton.

“Before coming to the White House, I struggled, as a working parent with a traveling, busy husband, to figure out how to feed my kids healthy, and I didn’t get it right,” she explained, sharing a story about her children’s doctor who pulled her aside to talk about her family diet.

“I thought to myself, if a Princeton and Harvard-educated professional woman doesn’t know how to adequately feed her kids, then what are other parents going through who don’t have access to the information I have?” she recalled.

Her personal struggle helped her launch her mission to address childhood obesity, she explains, especially passing a law requiring schools to provide healthier meals for kids.

The First Lady recommended that schools make decisions for children because their parents struggle to feed their children well.

“It’s so important for our schools to make the hard calls for our kids, because parents are struggling enough at home,” she said, pointing out that schools would simply feed children sweet cereal, chocolate milk, donuts, burgers, and fries.

Obama added that parents and school administrators needed to stop worrying about what their kids want to eat and encourage them to act like adults.

“It is our job as adults to make sure that our kids eat what they need, not what they want,” she said. “I struggle with that in my own life, and I tell you, if I let my kids dictate what we have for dinner every day, it would be French fries, chips, and candy, but we don’t run our households like that, and we can’t run our schools like that.”

Instead of rolling back the national school mandates, the First Lady explained that schools just needed more help making healthy food taste better.

“What we need to do is lend a hand to the schools that are struggling, not roll back the standards and say, 'Oh, well. The kids don’t like it so let them eat cake,'” she insisted. “We can’t afford to do that."

I thought to myself, if a Princeton and Harvard-educated professional woman doesn’t know how to adequately feed her kids, then what are other parents going through who don’t have access to the information I have?” she recalled.

I can get behind what she's doing for better eating for kids, but that to me sounds as though this smug wookie's saying that parents who don't have dual ivy league college degrees have no clue how to feed their kids, which is complete bullshit.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

The over educated richies are often out of touch

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

She only made like $270,000 in 2006. :/ She must be even worse at managing money than her husband.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dave123321

Only 270k shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
@dave123321 said:

Only 270k shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I think together they made almost a million that year.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Oh Michelle.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

She only made like $270,000 in 2006. :/ She must be even worse at managing money than her husband.

>only

wut

yummifullz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yummifullz
Member since 2012 • 119 Posts

Harvard AND Princeton? As if one of those isn't more than enough.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Sun_Tzu-

@yummifullz said:

Harvard and Princeton?? Wtf, as if one of those isn't more than enough.

Not if you want a law degree

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Is it really that hard to figure out to give them a lunch box with one sandwhich and an apple or orange?

If they don't want to eat it then they'll just have to go hungry until dinnertime.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

she needs to f*ck off and not tell people how to run their lives

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By -Sun_Tzu-

@Flubbbs said:

she needs to f*ck off and not tell people how to run their lives

That's the problem, these people aren't running

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

"Her personal struggle..."

That's the most out of touch line in the entire piece.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Not sure what the school she went to has to do with with understanding nutrition and biology/physiology

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jasean79

@lostrib said:

Not sure what the school she went to has to do with with understanding nutrition and biology/physiology

I believe her intent was to promote her educational background, even though it has little to do with the subject matter. Unless she graduated with a degree in nutrition, I don't think she's in any position to say what does and doesn't work for the average American household.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dave123321

Given the unhealthiness of a lot of peeps, something's not working

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

“I thought to myself, if a Princeton and Harvard-educated professional woman doesn’t know how to adequately feed her kids, then what are other parents going through who don’t have access to the information I have?”

It's called the internet, we all have the same info. She really should just stop talking. Every time she talks, she shows the world just how ignorant and incompetent she really is.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

move along folks, nothing to see here. If this little snippet of an interview is something you consider worth getting outraged about you clearly have too much time on your hands.

All she's saying here is that providing balanced diet for children is clearly some sort of rocket science. Even with her infinite wisdom she couldn't figure it out, so let's just go back to Happy meals.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@Storm_Marine said:

>only

wut

That's what I was thinking.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I remember watching in the news that when schools were replacing unhealthy meals for healthy ones, the kids just got them and threw them in the trash.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I could see having some healthy food guidelines for school lunches in elementary school, but by high school kids should know enough about what is healthy and what is not. If an 18 year old is old enough to go fight in a war, he's old enough to choose if he wants to eat healthy food or fattening food from the cafeteria.

Also is chocolate milk really that unhealthy? Isn't it better that kids have chocolate milk than no milk at all? I say this because Michelle specifically mentioned chocolate milk and last week Governor Malloy vetoed a bill that would've banned in public school cafeterias (part of his reason for doing so is because he felt it would lead to less kids drinking milk).

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Just watched a recent video on cracked on how increasingly difficult it is to eat healthy considering the practices of the food industry in this day and age. I doubt that Mrs. Obama is doing or will ever do much to change the underlying foundations of why it has become so hard to stay healthy in this country. Not that this is necessarily something that is entirely possible tbh, it's probably more effective to work with a terrible system rather than change it on a fundamental level.

On a side note, given Mrs. Obama's main initiative, I highly doubt anyone needs to worry about her ever running for office one day. She's in a position where she has the access to make all sorts of friends to really change the world, and she focuses on getting kids to eat right. It might be secretly genius to stick to an apolitical issue, and I'm just too inexperienced in the ways of politics to see it, but I sort of doubt it's a way to ever become a political force to be reckoned with.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasean79

@whipassmt said:

I could see having some healthy food guidelines for school lunches in elementary school, but by high school kids should know enough about what is healthy and what is not. If an 18 year old is old enough to go fight in a war, he's old enough to choose if he wants to eat healthy food or fattening food from the cafeteria.

Also is chocolate milk really that unhealthy? Isn't it better that kids have chocolate milk than no milk at all? I say this because Michelle specifically mentioned chocolate milk and last week Governor Malloy vetoed a bill that would've banned in public school cafeterias (part of his reason for doing so is because he felt it would lead to less kids drinking milk).

Chocolate milk is much healthier than a soda. As long as you stick with a 1% milk. It's the whole milk that's a killer.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@jasean79 said:

I can get behind what she's doing for better eating for kids, but that to me sounds as though this smug wookie's saying that parents who don't have dual ivy league college degrees have no clue how to feed their kids, which is complete bullshit.

You believing the First Lady is that tactless is hard to accept.

She was saying it is unreasonably difficult for people to support their families in a first world country.

Cost was not the only factor she cited. Time was another which I consider to be more important.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

That's probably because she was studying law and not everything that life brings.

Even if she is insinuating her places of study give her a natural and higher gift at everything in life.

The healthy eating idea is obviously good, however.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Just watched a recent video on cracked on how increasingly difficult it is to eat healthy considering the practices of the food industry in this day and age. I doubt that Mrs. Obama is doing or will ever do much to change the underlying foundations of why it has become so hard to stay healthy in this country. Not that this is necessarily something that is entirely possible tbh, it's probably more effective to work with a terrible system rather than change it on a fundamental level.

On a side note, given Mrs. Obama's main initiative, I highly doubt anyone needs to worry about her ever running for office one day. She's in a position where she has the access to make all sorts of friends to really change the world, and she focuses on getting kids to eat right. It might be secretly genius to stick to an apolitical issue, and I'm just too inexperienced in the ways of politics to see it, but I sort of doubt it's a way to ever become a political force to be reckoned with.

The topic has already gotten political.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/206512-spending-bill-provision-could-boost-fat-in-school-lunches

"House Republicans have inserted language in a new spending bill that allows schools to opt out of tougher nutrition standards for lunch and breakfast programs if they can show the programs lose money."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for her running? She has the national name recognition, would have the ability to raise enormous amounts of money and would have plenty of minions to write her a comprehensive platform. What isn't there to like? There has already been speculation about her running for a Senate seat in the state of Illinois. She may have powerful friends but the way liberals look at things, the federal government seems like the biggest tool to really bring "change".

Pewbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Pewbert
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts

It's amazing how these people have the nerve to say things like this. They are so out of touch with the working class that they do not represent the average person on the street.

Politicians should be "normal" people who have normal life experience.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105

@Master_Live: If republicans are trying to make school lunch programs political, something that doesn't cost a whole lot currently (and likely won't in the future) that's their own craziness at work. I can't imagine the poor PR foresight in trying to tell parents that the cost of their kids getting to eat healthy/healthier is just too great to afford when they know that voters get told hundreds of times a year all the other stuff that gets spent on in which they consider useless.

In terms of running compare her single issue to the things Hillary's initiatives in office. She waded into Healthcare, violence against women, and even some role in US diplomacy among other things. It bothers me, but the only other things you can really say about Michelle is her "Let's Move" initiative, and well.......fashion. She does fashion.

It's true they have spoke of her running, but realistically I don't see it happening.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#29 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Man. I haven't attended school so I know I'm not even capable of wiping my own ass.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

Valid points on childhood obesity and irresponsible parenting completely misdirected and ignored because its way more fun to spout vitriol regarding her education and her politics.

Well done, everybody.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Serraph105

@Lhomity said:

Valid points on childhood obesity and irresponsible parenting completely misdirected and ignored because its way more fun to spout vitriol regarding her education and her politics.

Well done, everybody.

I'm not exactly sure what you want here, it's kinda hard to argue against an attempt to get kids to eat healthy food. We might as well discuss other aspects of Michelle Obama's life that gets talked about a lot.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

eating healthy is hard for busy people, the less healthy stuff is usually the more convenient and sometimes more satisfying thing to eat, and sometimes healthy meals take planning

people heavily into nutrition and healthy eating though are very conscious about everything they put into their mouth, more and more they seem more inclined to find reasons not to eat something than a reason to eat something else instead, I imagine that kind of behavior over time makes it harder to plan meals

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dave123321

@Serraph105: there has been lots of anti health-initiative stuff because of the freedom brigade saying the gov shouldn't try to make efforts to address issues with unhealthy habits because of claims of creating a nanny state.

For example the attacks on her comments are an example of trying to discredit her and her thus discredit her goals