Metal Songs with Catchy/Melodic Choruses?

#1 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

I'm new to this genre and I'm loving it. I'm not really used to the shrieking and growling stuff (well I do love growling) so I'm looking for something more according to my liking.An example for my 'liking' would be Threat Signal.
I don't really want any metal nerd to start a brawl here like "Shrieking and growling is REAL Metal". Any one who knows songs/albums of this sort is welcomed.

Help will be appreciated.

#2 Posted by KHAndAnime (13448 posts) -

Metal music isn't really about catchy choruses as much these days, though there are metal bands that have them. That's more up rock music's alley (or even punk). Metal music is more about guitar playing and drumming. The band you listed is mostly metalcore, but that hardly is even considered metal. Iron Maiden has tons of catchy choruses, but where they shine is in their instrumentation.

Example of Iron Maiden with catchy choruses

The Trooper

Run to the Hills

Example of Iron Maiden where they shine in composition and instrumentation

Phantom of the Opera

For you honestly, I probably recommend the cartoon band Dethklok.

#3 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@KHAndAnime: Oh yes I forgot to mention the subgenre metalcore, you know there are just so many metal genres out there. I also forgot to mention that I like Melodic Death Metal as well but so far only INSOMNIUM's and In Flames work has caught my attention. Thanks for the suggestions tho!

#5 Edited by GazaAli (22525 posts) -

The topic title is kind of an oxymoron lol

#6 Edited by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

Power Metal is basically known for its catchy/melodic choruses.

It's not for everybody, and I'm very particular about the PM bands I like.

Check out the first 2 Firewind albums (they switched lead singers after this) and early Dream Evil.

#7 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -
#8 Posted by lonewolf604 (8517 posts) -

Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth

#9 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Boddicker: now that's more like it. Thanks dude!

#10 Edited by Boddicker (2522 posts) -
#11 Posted by lostrib (34582 posts) -

Rainbow in the dark

#12 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

Groove metal, the genre, on the whole is built on a rock-and-roll kind of vibe. So there are songs made with proper riffs and song structures in mind.

Try Machine Head, Byzantine, Gojira, DevilDriver, Pantera, Soulfly and Primus.

It'll be hard to find anything in genres like death and black that fit into what you describe. Although, the new Behemoth album is breaking new ground and trying to bring traditional song structure to death/black metal. So try "The Satanist" as well.

#13 Posted by LordQuorthon (5286 posts) -

I believe I win this thread.

#14 Edited by thehig1 (1400 posts) -

@Boddicker: yeah this, power metal has lots of catchy choruses.

#15 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Rainbow in the dark

This indeed. I listened to it a few times earlier today good song.

#17 Edited by Motokid6 (5274 posts) -

Lol I imagine people are getting sick of hearing is from me, but I'm on quite the Dethklok/Brandon Small kick as of late. Talk about chorus's and melodies? Dudes a master at it. And if you like growling then Nathan Explosion might be right up your alley.

Oh and if you like power metal check out Nightwish.

#18 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -
#19 Posted by jasean79 (2357 posts) -

#20 Edited by Lance2500 (680 posts) -
#22 Posted by Chatch09 (309 posts) -

@geniobastardo: I think bands like 'Between the Buried and Me' and Opeth are great for getting into the metal genre (just my opinion, they are the bands I started with, mere coincidence they are labeled progressive metal bands lol). My recommendations for catchy chorus bands would be All That Remains and Shadows Fall.

Note: My personal opinion for when you first find out about a band is that you should start with their latest stuff then work your way back. That way their music gets better instead of starting off with the good stuff when they were young and creative, then being disappointed by their "sell-out" albums made by some overrated producer....

#23 Edited by RushKing (1764 posts) -

#24 Edited by hippiesanta (9809 posts) -
#25 Posted by hippiesanta (9809 posts) -