This topic is locked from further discussion.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

So the other day I was perusing the OT and noticed that there was a timer for the delete button thing. Basically for every minute it would say x minutes remaining. It started at five minutes, then went to 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 then 0. Before looking into what happened at zero I think I saw it maybe once or twice before. Or at least noticed it once or twice before. The question I had was what happened at zero. Told myself it was one of two things. Either it was a countdown till activation of the button or it was a countdown to deactivation. So I tested it out. Waited the five minutes and then saw the delete button disappear. So now it seems like we can't delete.

The question that followed that was why take away that delete function. A few ideas popped into my head. I'm not to sure if any of them are right or maybe it's a combination of these ideas. First idea is to prevent people from deleting traces of violating the rules. Now this has some flaws. Namely that we can still edit the post. So that seems like a flawed system. Which makes me favor the other idea that they don't want the page numbers and post count alignment to get screwed up. In the old site, glitches would start to arise if you had some deletions of posts. Another idea is stoping the bumping of topics where a user was the last one to post. Basically what happens there is that the person deletes their last post to bump the topic back up. Or they double posted and sacrifice a post to post again because an edit of an old post would be just wasteful. This idea may be a problem on some level but it seems like it would be a small issue.

But all of this led me to an idea that I wanted to talk to OT about. This idea of deleting memories. Recently played a game called Remember Me that had some memory elements. Now that game was frustrating in its unfulfilled potential to be something truly amazing, but all in all I still thought it was pretty adequate but more than that there was enough there to really love. But that is neither here nor there. Read a short story dealing with memory. It dealed with this sci fi set up where a person was able to store memories and stuff so they can relive them and keep them protected. Then this young guy breaks into the house I guess maybe to commit a robbery and comes across these tapes of an old woman's life. Something or another happens.

But ultimately this led me to think about the idea of deleting memories. At first for petty reasons and then I turned to more serious concerns. My idea was basically a subscription service that you paid a monthly fee of say 9.99 to delete certain memories from your mind. Now this idea is basically magic. You are able to delete specific memories without really losing or risking some grave level of sustainability. My initial idea was basically using this to delete memories of video games, movies, books, and tv. To basically allow yourself to be able to experience something as if it was the first time. Puzzle games was my first immediate thought since the replay factor is often small. Then it went to other games, books, and movies. My first question is would you be willing to pay for such a service at 9.99 a month? The memories will come back if you cancel the subscription.

Still along the somewhat petty lines of using the service to experience media like new again, I questioned if a service would do us a disservice. Maybe we will be too quick to not experience a book for the 2nd time as a 2nd time. To experience a closer rereading and garnering a greater appreciation for stuff that we may have missed the first time. Or just having a focusing of ideas. This applies to movies as well. But the service allows us to do that I guess. Plus it's really appealing to re experience the magic of that first time.

Which lead me to more serious issues of memory and the nature of who we are.

Basically if you were to experience a traumatic experience, would you be willing to forget it? Maybe this experience defined something for you that would be lost if you were to lose that experience. Maybe you gained new strength from that experience no matter how awful it was. My initial thought was maybe some experiences are best left forgotten but I was left with this felling that forgetting it was a way to put off dealing with the issue. That it would be unwise to try to eliminate the chance to work through it. This idea that deleting it didn't solve the underlying issue that needs to be worked through. So would you delete?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

too long, didn't read. Cliff notes version?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dave123321

-we can now only delete posts for five minutes after posting and I wonder why

-would you guys be willing to pay for a service that allows you to delete memories of books, tv, movies, games, etc to be able to relive that first time experience

-would you be willing to delete memories of traumatic experiences or do you feel that having those memories are valuable to who you are as a person. As well there being a need and responsibility to ourself to work through them

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59064 Posts

IMO. Ignoring or avoiding things that are difficult are what creates a weak a person and tend to mark the difference between and "average" and "great" person. Rather than "deleting it" (or deliberly pleading ignorance which is basically, deleting it) learn to accept it, don't let it pull you down, move on, and grow as person. Look at people like Martin Lutherking, Stephen Hawking and Malala Yousafzia as examples of people using bad things happening to them to create motivation and conviction.

Even looking at the absolute worst of the the worst, children being killed and molested, the parents rather than ignoring it, used it to spur them on to create Sarah's Law.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dave123321

@airshocker: I think this was basically like twice as long if not more before making some cuts to what I had wrote.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

No, I wouldn't get rid of memories even if I could. Every memory I have contributes (to various degrees) to the person I am today and worked hard to become. Traumatic events helped me grow, their memory helps me not committing past mistakes or value what I have. Even media I watched, read, etc help me write my books. Everything has a function and it was a lot of work (sometimes pleasant work) to accumulate all my experiences, and I see no reason to throw any of it away =)

How about you Dave, now that you had some more time to think about it, would you like to be able to erase some memories? And if yes, why?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@Iszdope: We're talking about the procedure you had done last Monday. =)

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dave123321

I wouldn't delete major stuff for the reasons I alluded to as well as the stuff you mentioned.

The media idea though does seem somewhat appealing. So I think I would pay to be able to experience certain media as if it was the first time. Mainly I guess for puzzle games where I wouldn't really replay otherwise. But I guess for other general stuff as well. Like I've rewatched stuff a lot so to be able to experience it fresh again would be a treat. But I'm basically treating the media thing like magic in that you basically remember watching the things but just don't recall the actual media. And you would be able to undelete them as well.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@korvus said:

@Iszdope: We're talking about the procedure you had done last Monday. =)

His sex change operation? How'd that go? Is he 100% male now?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dave123321

It's malleable

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Are you high as the sky?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

This thread reminds me of the movie 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

LMAO

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dave123321

Saintleo is pretty great

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dave123321

Something else that brought this to mind was some show about a guy who couldn't create new memories. Which made me think of memento

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I don't know. Embarrassing memories stop me from being a tit twice over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

"Maybe this experience defined something for you that would be lost if you were to lose that experience." Exactly.