Members of Congress+ Staffers get special Obamacare subsidy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Take if from my boy Rush  but the news is out on a few other websites.

They all get a special 75% off subsidy. They dont even have to follow the rules they write, they are all too special and important.

"Now, if a Republican president had given Congress a way around his signature legislation, it would be the biggest story since soldiers put panties on the heads of prisoners at Abu Ghraib and made 'em do a pyramid."

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts
"And there was a story -- I don't have it at my fingertips here, but I remember it like this was yesterday." oh great, a source without a source
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]"And there was a story -- I don't have it at my fingertips here, but I remember it like this was yesterday." oh great, a source without a source

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/capitol-hill-obamacare-crisis-solved-95100.html?hp=t1 its not like hes making anything up dude.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lamprey263
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]"And there was a story -- I don't have it at my fingertips here, but I remember it like this was yesterday." oh great, a source without a source

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/capitol-hill-obamacare-crisis-solved-95100.html?hp=t1 its not like hes making anything up dude.

there, i got a source saying this is hokum
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AdamPA1006

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]"And there was a story -- I don't have it at my fingertips here, but I remember it like this was yesterday." oh great, a source without a sourcelamprey263

media matters? a media matters blog? yeah right. Anyway thats old, this is CURRENT NEWS that obama just announced for congress

edit- befroe you cry that i posted Rush, I posted rushs commentary on the current news issue. you posted some old soucre trying to deny the current news of congress getting obamacare discount

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lamprey263

[QUOTE="lamprey263"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/capitol-hill-obamacare-crisis-solved-95100.html?hp=t1 its not like hes making anything up dude.AdamPA1006

media matters? a media matters blog? yeah right. Anyway thats old, this is CURRENT NEWS that obama just announced for congress

edit- befroe you cry that i posted Rush, I posted rushs commentary on the current news issue. you posted some old soucre trying to deny the current news of congress getting obamacare discount

See, Rush refers to an article but doesn't get the least of its meaning or the truth from it, he just refers to the article and hopes his drones don't try to look over the sources or what the issue was really about. Rush makes it sound like the solution reached subsidized 75% of the costs to for medical coverage to employees under Obamacare, truth is the Office of Personnel Management already shouldered 75% of the premium cost for employee coverage. Nothing has changed in that regard changed. The new law requires that Congress and staffers have to get their insurance from the government exchange, rather than picking from the plans that were available to choose from previously; this by the way was a Republican imposed measure. The problem with the law was a problem for a couple reasons. One reason that has two parts has to do with the healthcare law requiring Congress and Congressional staffers to get on the government exchange. however this was an issue because the insurance exchange would not be set up for large employer enrollment until 2017 (therefor, the government employees would be required to be a part of an exchange they were no eligible to join for another few years. Secondly, the Office of Personnel Management was set up to pay 75% of employee healthcare plans, which they had multiple options of choosing from, and that 75% premium coverage was prior to this purposefully inflated issue, however the issue was whether the Office of Personnel Management could legally make the premium payments on for the government exchange under the current law. So yes, changes were made to the healthcare law so that they could comply with it, but it wasn't to exempt employees of the government from participating in it, it was clearly a fix because the law had a few problems in it that made government employees unable to participate in it. Republicans like Rush and yourself try to make it sound like it was so expensive that it'd end up hurting employees and the solution was the government needed to subsidize additional cost, and that's complete and utter hokum. The fix came to allowing for government employees to enroll in the exchange rather than waiting until 2017, and for the Office of Personnel management to make the 75% premium payments for coverage that it has always made. Nothing more.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lamprey263
well who looks like a jackass now
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Well, considering they're getting FREE HEALTHCARE right now, I'd say it's good they're finally paying SOMETHING.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Jumping to conclusion before getting the full story. Sounds like it's the new Republican standard.

"It's a huge scandal that is going to finally take down the Obama administration!"

"Oh, I guess not's not much a scandal."

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AdamPA1006

Jumping to conclusion before getting the full story. Sounds like it's the new Republican standard.

"It's a huge scandal that is going to finally take down the Obama administration!"

jimkabrhel
Me nor rush said anything like that. Its obvious not that no scandal short of obama killing someone would get him impeached
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]

[QUOTE="lamprey263"] there, i got a source saying this is hokumlamprey263

See, Rush refers to an article but doesn't get the least of its meaning or the truth from it, he just refers to the article and hopes his drones don't try to look over the sources or what the issue was really about. Rush makes it sound like the solution reached subsidized 75% of the costs to for medical coverage to employees under Obamacare, truth is the Office of Personnel Management already shouldered 75% of the premium cost for employee coverage. Nothing has changed in that regard changed. The new law requires that Congress and staffers have to get their insurance from the government exchange, rather than picking from the plans that were available to choose from previously; this by the way was a Republican imposed measure. The problem with the law was a problem for a couple reasons. One reason that has two parts has to do with the healthcare law requiring Congress and Congressional staffers to get on the government exchange. however this was an issue because the insurance exchange would not be set up for large employer enrollment until 2017 (therefor, the government employees would be required to be a part of an exchange they were no eligible to join for another few years. Secondly, the Office of Personnel Management was set up to pay 75% of employee healthcare plans, which they had multiple options of choosing from, and that 75% premium coverage was prior to this purposefully inflated issue, however the issue was whether the Office of Personnel Management could legally make the premium payments on for the government exchange under the current law. So yes, changes were made to the healthcare law so that they could comply with it, but it wasn't to exempt employees of the government from participating in it, it was clearly a fix because the law had a few problems in it that made government employees unable to participate in it. Republicans like Rush and yourself try to make it sound like it was so expensive that it'd end up hurting employees and the solution was the government needed to subsidize additional cost, and that's complete and utter hokum. The fix came to allowing for government employees to enroll in the exchange rather than waiting until 2017, and for the Office of Personnel management to make the 75% premium payments for coverage that it has always made. Nothing more.

that was very long winded for the same fact, WHY do they get 75% of healthcare? This isnt even democrat or republican I dont think anyone in congress or their staff deserves this. If the law is so great and helpful to eevryone they should be able to pay with ease
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

AdamPA1006
Me nor rush said anything like that. Its obvious not that no scandal short of obama killing someone would get him impeached

I'm curious as to what, if anything, you view as being a "high crime and misdemeanor" here. That members of Congress get a better deal than the average person and that Obama is to blame? WHICH FROM YOUR OWN SOURCE IS NOT THE CASE! [quote="AdamPA1006 Politico source"] The problem was rooted in the original text of the Affordable Care Act. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans created by the law or offered through an exchange. Until now, OPM had not said if the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program could contribute premium payments toward plans on the exchange. If payments stopped, lawmakers and aides would have faced thousands of dollars in additional premium payments each year. Under the old system, the government contributed nearly 75 percent of premium payments. Obamas involvement in solving this impasse was unusual, to say the least. But it came after serious griping from both sides of the aisle about the potential of a brain drain. The fear, as told by sources in both parties, was that aides would head for more lucrative jobs, spooked by the potential for spiking health premiums. There was a certain sense of urgency, too, since enrollment in the exchanges was set to begin Oct. 1. There were discussions of a legislative fix attaching language to a must-pass bill to fix the problem. But that wouldve been too difficult in todays paralyzed Washington. White House officials acknowledged that a fix was needed. But they knew that once they dealt with it through a regulation, some Republicans would use it against them even though most of their party was privately obsessing over it.

I mean, did you even bother reading your own source before using it? A Republican Senator inserted the provision. The old program and the new program subsidize Congressional healthcare the exact same amount. Both sides of the aisle were pushing for this. This is, like EVERY other "scandal" that Obama has been accused of, something that falls apart with even a passing glance at it. Obama hasn't been a perfect president, but he's done nothing even remotely close to qualifying for impeachment. Which, I might point out, is why you never see any GOP party leaders talking seriously about doing it. They know it would backfire in a huge way because once you get outside of the conservative media circle jerk there's just nothing there that would hold up under close examination.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
jim, politicians exempting them selves from their own programs rates high on the stink/sham-o-meter
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nocoolnamejim
jim, politicians exempting them selves from their own programs rates high on the stink/sham-o-metersurrealnumber5
But that isn't happening here. [quote="Politico source again"] The problem was rooted in the original text of the Affordable Care Act. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans created by the law or offered through an exchange.

They're specifically REQUIRED to participate in this program, which Senator Grassley put in place to try and keep the program from passing. Once it DID pass there was butthurt that they weren't getting as big of a subsidy on their healthcare than they used to, so now they're getting the same amount as there was before. But even if that weren't the case, it STILL would not be an impeachable offense or a scandal. Perhaps not the greatest thing in the world, but being in public office has always carried perks that ordinary citizens don't get. I mean, does this strike you as "treason or other high crimes and misdemeanors"?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 surrealnumber5
there are around a million better reasons to impeach OB and try him and bush for war crimes. if the original bill required " inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans created by the law or offered through an exchange." so should it be. they should have no out of their harmful plan.
Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

Oh well this bill will further crush our wage slave economy.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nocoolnamejim
there are around a million better reasons to impeach OB and try him and bush for war crimes. if the original bill required " inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans created by the law or offered through an exchange." so should it be. they should have no out of their harmful plan. surrealnumber5
Agree that there are many better arguments for impeaching Obama and before him Bush. Off the top of my head, Bush setting up a torture regime in flagrant violation of both U.S. and international law works for him and Obama declining to prosecute and aggressively go after the offenders makes him complicit. If you want to talk impeachable scandals, making us a country that condones torture rates a little higher on my outrage radar than members of Congress and their staffs getting goodies that I don't. I also agree that, as a general principle, there should be one law for everyone. Having said that, there's no crime for Obama here. There may be members of Congress of both parties voting themselves extra perks, but that's hardly anything new and certainly nothing that rises to the level of even a scandal let alone an impeachable offense.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

People get job perks in high ranking positions.

This is not new. You posting this is tribute to both how stupid you are and how desperate you are to attack liberals.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]there are around a million better reasons to impeach OB and try him and bush for war crimes. if the original bill required " inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans created by the law or offered through an exchange." so should it be. they should have no out of their harmful plan. nocoolnamejim
Agree that there are many better arguments for impeaching Obama and before him Bush. Off the top of my head, Bush setting up a torture regime in flagrant violation of both U.S. and international law works for him and Obama declining to prosecute and aggressively go after the offenders makes him complicit. If you want to talk impeachable scandals, making us a country that condones torture rates a little higher on my outrage radar than members of Congress and their staffs getting goodies that I don't. I also agree that, as a general principle, there should be one law for everyone. Having said that, there's no crime for Obama here. There may be members of Congress of both parties voting themselves extra perks, but that's hardly anything new and certainly nothing that rises to the level of even a scandal let alone an impeachable offense.

numero zwei would be the use of "depleted" uranium that shit poisons land longer than our earth will be around. that is a crime against life especially when Iridium is better for war in every metric other than transport of nuclear waste.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]there are around a million better reasons to impeach OB and try him and bush for war crimes. if the original bill required " inserted a provision which said members of Congress and their aides must be covered by plans created by the law or offered through an exchange." so should it be. they should have no out of their harmful plan. surrealnumber5

numero zwei would be the use of "depleted" uranium that shit poisons land longer than our earth will be around. that is a crime against life especially when Iridium is better for war in every metric other than transport of nuclear waste.

I'm not up to speed on that one, but that sounds like far more of a moral issue than a legal one. Presumably the armed forces use what they buy with the budget that they are given and therefore that wouldn't exactly be something that could be pinned on Obama either. But your general point remains solid: there are other, better things to be giving attention to. What has just had me rolling my eyes for years now is one idiotic nothingburger of a scandal after another that the rightwing media chooses to obsess over when there are REAL, LEGIT issues that they could be reporting and driving tough conversations on. Things like Benghazi, Black Panthers, "Obamaphones", Acorn, IRS targeting etc. are not legit issues.

One after another they turn out to be massive cases of nothing, but there's no retraction, no mea culpa or accountability. This country is suffering far more from the lack of an effective and LOYAL opposition than anything else. We've basically become a one-party Democracy because only one party is even close to functional or sane. I want Republicans and their media allies asking tough questions on actually pertinent subjects. Drive conversations on the proper use of drone strikes or how far the presidency's powers extend towards the use of force. Raise issues on whether the gathering of personal data has gone too far. These are reasonable things to try and hold the Obama Administration's feet to the fire on and try and get answers. Conversely, how about a little more attention to voter suppression issues that the GOP is blatantly pushing for brazenly partisan reasons? But instead we get cries for impeachment over the sort of idiotic non-issue crap that TC posted above or some of the other examples of "scandals" I listed above.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] Agree that there are many better arguments for impeaching Obama and before him Bush. Off the top of my head, Bush setting up a torture regime in flagrant violation of both U.S. and international law works for him and Obama declining to prosecute and aggressively go after the offenders makes him complicit. If you want to talk impeachable scandals, making us a country that condones torture rates a little higher on my outrage radar than members of Congress and their staffs getting goodies that I don't. I also agree that, as a general principle, there should be one law for everyone. Having said that, there's no crime for Obama here. There may be members of Congress of both parties voting themselves extra perks, but that's hardly anything new and certainly nothing that rises to the level of even a scandal let alone an impeachable offense.

I'm not up to speed on that one, but that sounds like far more of a moral issue than a legal one. Presumably the armed forces use what they buy with the budget that they are given and therefore that wouldn't exactly be something that could be pinned on Obama either. But your general point remains solid: there are other, better things to be giving attention to. What has just had me rolling my eyes for years now is one idiotic nothingburger of a scandal after another that the rightwing media chooses to obsess over when there are REAL, LEGIT issues that they could be reporting and driving tough conversations on. Things like Benghazi, Black Panthers, "Obamaphones", Acorn, IRS targeting etc. One after another they turn out to be massive cases of nothing, but there's no retraction, no mea culpa or accountability. This country is suffering far more from the lack of an effective and LOYAL opposition than anything else. We've basically become a one-party Democracy because only one party is even close to functional or sane. I want Republicans and their media allies asking tough questions on actually pertinent subjects. Drive conversations on the proper use of drone strikes or how far the presidency's powers extend towards the use of force. Raise issues on whether the gathering of personal data has gone too far. These are reasonable things to try and hold the Obama Administration's feet to the fire on and try and get answers. Conversely, how about a little more attention to voter suppression issues that the GOP is blatantly pushing for brazenly partisan reasons? But instead we get cries for impeachment over the sort of idiotic non-issue crap that TC posted above or some of the other examples of "scandals" I listed above.

commander and chief brah, what the military does under him is on his head, same with any other. the only reason to use depleted uranium is because it turns a toxic waste product that costs godly amounts to dispose of, into a commodity that will be purchased for a hefty premium. i believe benghazi has issues same with the IRS, and wire taps, i dont know of any fake scandals right now. the IRS broke the law big time by discriminating vie creed/speech, and every one involved should be tried. sadly i cant speak for republicans, i only held that title for three months till they did as i expected to ronny.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdamPA1006

Real people dieing in benghazi= fake scandal lmao

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263
[QUOTE="lamprey263"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] media matters? a media matters blog? yeah right. Anyway thats old, this is CURRENT NEWS that obama just announced for congress

AdamPA1006

that was very long winded for the same fact, WHY do they get 75% of healthcare? This isnt even democrat or republican I dont think anyone in congress or their staff deserves this. If the law is so great and helpful to eevryone they should be able to pay with ease

no, it was a very long winded argument because the claim from right wing automatons like yourself regurgitating Rush's diatribe is that Obamacare is so expensive the government needs to subsidize the premium costs, not that government is wasteful for providing employees government benefits anyhow, since you're moving the goal post, - why should anybody be shocked the government pays for 75% of the premiums for their employees? you should know it's not anything new that employers pay for employee medical benefits (and sometimes they cover 100% of the premiums), for much of the country that's the only way they can get healthcare, if anything I'm pretty shocked that members of congress and government staffers make way more than a living wage yet still have to pay part of their healthcare premiums anyhow, the claim was from rush and yourself that healthcare premiums under Obamacare were so high that the government had to subsidize them to make them affordable, and that was complete bull, so don't try to hide that now also, since the concept of employee benefits somehow seem completely alien from you, it makes me really wonder - have you actually had a job in your life? are you like 15 or something?
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

AdamPA1006

You do yourself and your cause absolutely no favors, you are one of the reasons why many of the people here are liberals.

On topic: After reading the politico article it sounds like you have no fvcking clue what you are talking about. 

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] numero zwei would be the use of "depleted" uranium that shit poisons land longer than our earth will be around. that is a crime against life especially when Iridium is better for war in every metric other than transport of nuclear waste.

I'm not up to speed on that one, but that sounds like far more of a moral issue than a legal one. Presumably the armed forces use what they buy with the budget that they are given and therefore that wouldn't exactly be something that could be pinned on Obama either. But your general point remains solid: there are other, better things to be giving attention to. What has just had me rolling my eyes for years now is one idiotic nothingburger of a scandal after another that the rightwing media chooses to obsess over when there are REAL, LEGIT issues that they could be reporting and driving tough conversations on. Things like Benghazi, Black Panthers, "Obamaphones", Acorn, IRS targeting etc. One after another they turn out to be massive cases of nothing, but there's no retraction, no mea culpa or accountability. This country is suffering far more from the lack of an effective and LOYAL opposition than anything else. We've basically become a one-party Democracy because only one party is even close to functional or sane. I want Republicans and their media allies asking tough questions on actually pertinent subjects. Drive conversations on the proper use of drone strikes or how far the presidency's powers extend towards the use of force. Raise issues on whether the gathering of personal data has gone too far. These are reasonable things to try and hold the Obama Administration's feet to the fire on and try and get answers. Conversely, how about a little more attention to voter suppression issues that the GOP is blatantly pushing for brazenly partisan reasons? But instead we get cries for impeachment over the sort of idiotic non-issue crap that TC posted above or some of the other examples of "scandals" I listed above.

commander and chief brah, what the military does under him is on his head, same with any other. the only reason to use depleted uranium is because it turns a toxic waste product that costs godly amounts to dispose of, into a commodity that will be purchased for a hefty premium. i believe benghazi has issues same with the IRS, and wire taps, i dont know of any fake scandals right now. the IRS broke the law big time by discriminating vie creed/speech, and every one involved should be tried. sadly i cant speak for republicans, i only held that title for three months till they did as i expected to ronny.

Not to derail the conversation too much, but you may want to look into that IRS "scandal" a bit more. It came out that the IRS targeted both conservative AND liberal groups. Link and that the watchdog who initially claimed it was targeting only conservatives has now backtracked and said that a Bush era holdover withheld the evidence that they were singling out certain liberal groups for increased scrutiny as well. Second Link A few employees at the IRS started flagging some partisan non profits for extra review in their filings to make sure the were valid, and none of them lost their non profit status (and perhaps they were the right decision and perhaps that was the wrong decision). And then their supervising official told them to stop doing these reviews. Like most of the scandals out there, GOP leadership has quietly dropped this one after making the accusation and then evidence coming to light that basically exonerates the agency and Obama. As for your depleted uranium thing, that's why I said moral and not legal issue. I'm assuming that the use of those depleted uranium weapons is legal and that there's no US law banning their use. This might be a gap and maybe there SHOULD be a law against their use, but, again, there's no LEGAL culpability for Obama.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AdamPA1006

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]

Bane_09

You do yourself and your cause absolutely no favors, you are one of the reasons why many of the people here are liberals.

On topic: After reading the politico article it sounds like you have no fvcking clue what you are talking about. 

Me right. Its all my fault. Tell me how real people dieing was a fake scandal? I dont even consider it THAT big a deal, but what bothered me was the completely obvious lieing the week after that it was "spontaneous" demonstrations or whatever. Why couldnt they just admit it was a terror attack sooner? Or not admit ANYTHING, till they had all the facts, but they were telling everyone the next day it wasnt a terror attack the next day
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"] I'm not up to speed on that one, but that sounds like far more of a moral issue than a legal one. Presumably the armed forces use what they buy with the budget that they are given and therefore that wouldn't exactly be something that could be pinned on Obama either. But your general point remains solid: there are other, better things to be giving attention to. What has just had me rolling my eyes for years now is one idiotic nothingburger of a scandal after another that the rightwing media chooses to obsess over when there are REAL, LEGIT issues that they could be reporting and driving tough conversations on. Things like Benghazi, Black Panthers, "Obamaphones", Acorn, IRS targeting etc. One after another they turn out to be massive cases of nothing, but there's no retraction, no mea culpa or accountability. This country is suffering far more from the lack of an effective and LOYAL opposition than anything else. We've basically become a one-party Democracy because only one party is even close to functional or sane. I want Republicans and their media allies asking tough questions on actually pertinent subjects. Drive conversations on the proper use of drone strikes or how far the presidency's powers extend towards the use of force. Raise issues on whether the gathering of personal data has gone too far. These are reasonable things to try and hold the Obama Administration's feet to the fire on and try and get answers. Conversely, how about a little more attention to voter suppression issues that the GOP is blatantly pushing for brazenly partisan reasons? But instead we get cries for impeachment over the sort of idiotic non-issue crap that TC posted above or some of the other examples of "scandals" I listed above.

Not to derail the conversation too much, but you may want to look into that IRS "scandal" a bit more. It came out that the IRS targeted both conservative AND liberal groups. Link and that the watchdog who initially claimed it was targeting only conservatives has now backtracked and said that a Bush era holdover withheld the evidence that they were singling out certain liberal groups for increased scrutiny as well. Second Link A few employees at the IRS started flagging some partisan non profits for extra review in their filings to make sure the were valid, and none of them lost their non profit status (and perhaps they were the right decision and perhaps that was the wrong decision). And then their supervising official told them to stop doing these reviews. Like most of the scandals out there, GOP leadership has quietly dropped this one after making the accusation and then evidence coming to light that basically exonerates the agency and Obama. As for your depleted uranium thing, that's why I said moral and not legal issue. I'm assuming that the use of those depleted uranium weapons is legal and that there's no US law banning their use. This might be a gap and maybe there SHOULD be a law against their use, but, again, there's no LEGAL culpability for Obama.

i dont care the whos whats whens wheres or whys, if the government goes after people based on protected classes, and they did focus on that, 100's v hand full of the others with a large discrepency in findings that being a much larger amount of fraud in the minority group rather than the targeted group, that is ill will, bad judgement, poor actuarial calculation, however you want to put it it does not meet the stink-o-meter. i agree that if the government were a business they should first look at those who are against them, but they are not and even have laws against such things.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 surrealnumber5
jim, uniform liability is my goal, and when you do harm to an area in perpetuity forever, you are liable. sadly some, maybe you, idunno, would call for you and i to pay for the political decisions of those elected. i wish for those elected to be held accountable for their actions be it at home of in foreign lands. i see the lack of liability as the ultimate cause of all of the ills of the world on any meaningful scale. what i mean is that politicians have zero liability for their actions. you cant know the harm until action and at that point people tend to blame the next guy or something else.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="lamprey263"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="lamprey263"] See, Rush refers to an article but doesn't get the least of its meaning or the truth from it, he just refers to the article and hopes his drones don't try to look over the sources or what the issue was really about. Rush makes it sound like the solution reached subsidized 75% of the costs to for medical coverage to employees under Obamacare, truth is the Office of Personnel Management already shouldered 75% of the premium cost for employee coverage. Nothing has changed in that regard changed. The new law requires that Congress and staffers have to get their insurance from the government exchange, rather than picking from the plans that were available to choose from previously; this by the way was a Republican imposed measure. The problem with the law was a problem for a couple reasons. One reason that has two parts has to do with the healthcare law requiring Congress and Congressional staffers to get on the government exchange. however this was an issue because the insurance exchange would not be set up for large employer enrollment until 2017 (therefor, the government employees would be required to be a part of an exchange they were no eligible to join for another few years. Secondly, the Office of Personnel Management was set up to pay 75% of employee healthcare plans, which they had multiple options of choosing from, and that 75% premium coverage was prior to this purposefully inflated issue, however the issue was whether the Office of Personnel Management could legally make the premium payments on for the government exchange under the current law. So yes, changes were made to the healthcare law so that they could comply with it, but it wasn't to exempt employees of the government from participating in it, it was clearly a fix because the law had a few problems in it that made government employees unable to participate in it. Republicans like Rush and yourself try to make it sound like it was so expensive that it'd end up hurting employees and the solution was the government needed to subsidize additional cost, and that's complete and utter hokum. The fix came to allowing for government employees to enroll in the exchange rather than waiting until 2017, and for the Office of Personnel management to make the 75% premium payments for coverage that it has always made. Nothing more.

no, it was a very long winded argument because the claim from right wing automatons like yourself regurgitating Rush's diatribe is that Obamacare is so expensive the government needs to subsidize the premium costs, not that government is wasteful for providing employees government benefits anyhow, since you're moving the goal post, - why should anybody be shocked the government pays for 75% of the premiums for their employees? you should know it's not anything new that employers pay for employee medical benefits (and sometimes they cover 100% of the premiums), for much of the country that's the only way they can get healthcare, if anything I'm pretty shocked that members of congress and government staffers make way more than a living wage yet still have to pay part of their healthcare premiums anyhow, the claim was from rush and yourself that healthcare premiums under Obamacare were so high that the government had to subsidize them to make them affordable, and that was complete bull, so don't try to hide that now also, since the concept of employee benefits somehow seem completely alien from you, it makes me really wonder - have you actually had a job in your life? are you like 15 or something?

I'm not hiding anything. I'm 22, studying mechanical engineering, and have been having a paid internship at a "real" company this summer. I'm just trying to express how much of a disaster Obamacare will be, and how so much is falling apart already. It was a stupid idea to force congress on it anyway, even if it was a republican idea so what? I dont support every decision every registered republican makes. Even the teamsters are against obamacare now!
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nocoolnamejim
[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]

AdamPA1006

Me right. Its all my fault. Tell me how real people dieing was a fake scandal? I dont even consider it THAT big a deal, but what bothered me was the completely obvious lieing the week after that it was "spontaneous" demonstrations or whatever. Why couldnt they just admit it was a terror attack sooner? Or not admit ANYTHING, till they had all the facts, but they were telling everyone the next day it wasnt a terror attack the next day

It's a dangerous world. People die. Basically, **** happens. For this to be a scandal you need to show some form of negligence and/or coverup.

Something like getting a memo entitled "Bin Laden determined to attack in the United States" from one of your intelligence directors and telling him that "you've covered your ass" and dismissing him only to have the worst terror attack in U.S. history happen a month later. What you have here is a flare up in an unstable part of the world where the facts on the ground were a little murky and...that's it.

Did you know that US consulates were attacked thirteen times during the Bush years? Never heard of it? Maybe because Democrats didn't try and turn a tragedy into a scandal when there wasn't one.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nocoolnamejim
jim, uniform liability is my goal, and when you do harm to an area in perpetuity forever, you are liable. sadly some, maybe you, idunno, would call for you and i to pay for the political decisions of those elected. i wish for those elected to be held accountable for their actions be it at home of in foreign lands. i see the lack of liability as the ultimate cause of all of the ills of the world on any meaningful scale. what i mean is that politicians have zero liability for their actions. you cant know the harm until action and at that point people tend to blame the next guy or something else. surrealnumber5
An issue we won't resolve tonight and one that likely needs the following things to happen: 1. Elimination of gerrymandered safe districts that create disincentives for compromise or effective governing 2. Elimination or severe reduction of the amount of money in politics through effective campaign finance reform that the Supreme Court doesn't toss out etc. Anyway, I got to run. Packing for a trip tomorrow. Nice talking with you again.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]

AdamPA1006

This has nothing to do with your topic first of all

I never said real people dying was a fake scandal, those were your words

"Why couldnt they just admit it was a terror attack sooner? Or not admit ANYTHING, till they had all the facts, but they were telling everyone the next day it wasnt a terror attack the next day" 

Something tells me you would be on a witch hunt no matter what they said. Benghazi wasn't anyone's fault, to try and somehow say it is Obama's fault because he did or did not call it a terrorist attack after it happened is insane. Whethere they lied or just didn't have all the facts, I have no idea so I am not going to start assuming I do know