MCU vs Star wars universe - Which is better of two?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

Poll MCU vs Star wars universe - Which is better of two? (23 votes)

MCU 61%
Star wars 39%
No Caption Provided

Hello,

So which is better franchise of two?

I go with Star wars.

Original trilogy is masterpiece, Prequel did suck but revenge of sith was amazing.

Mandalorian is also masterpiece. even obi wan Kenobi is better than marvel shows.

when it comes to marvel?

Meh? apart from Punisher and Daredevil which don't really fit MCU. MCU universe and its franchises are terrible.

so friends lets vote and discuss.

• 
MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1157 Posts

Both are Disney owned, so either way you go, they win. XD But if I had to choose, I would probably go with the MCU. Mostly because the sequel trilogy of Star Wars was a disappointment, and I grew up a fan of the prequels, so it's not like the bar was high. :/ MCU is getting boring with the same ol, same ol. Mind you, this is all from the movies on both sides, I don't want television.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8428 Posts

I give zero shits about the Star Wars franchise. Never understood how fans practically make a religion out of it. The original trilogy is popcorn entertainment at best with some fun special effects that are in debt to the likes of Metropolis and 2001: Space Odyssey.

Overall, don't care about Star Wars; never watched a single of the Disney productions, but it's always entertaining to watch the diehard masochistic fans lose their shit and complain and hate on about everything in the Star Wars universe.

The MCU on the other hand, is also mindless entertainment. I was interested in the MCU from a film history standpoint, because the shared-universe concept had never been successful to this magnitude before. The Infinity Gauntlet saga (the first 10 years) was fun while it lasted.

Everything going on in the MCU now is getting excessive and I've pretty much lost interest because the franchise seems more interested in catching lightning in a bottle a second time rather than actually taking the time to build new intrigue.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Hard to pick one. Star Wars (minus the sequels) is more intriguing but the MCU is more entertaining.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59042 Posts

Let me think.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3424 Posts

Even the original SW trilogy was not that great. The rest is sufferable. The Mandalorian is OK, it stands by it self as an acceptable show.

The MCU is pretty bad. It speaks volumes the fixation our society has for that cinematographic trash.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I used to think expanding a lore makes a franchise more epic, but I no longer have patience with franchises with multiple dozens of spinoffs and sequels. I used to love Star Wars, but grew out of it as the legacy characters got phased out and an overreliance on "overcoming the odds" storytelling. As for the MCU, I don't relate to stories about wisecracking super beings with very shallow flaws doing impossibly awesome things.

I'll give a slight edge to Star Wars for being able to keep the universe more grounded and believable, in the sense that you don't have the absurd situations of having the same cities and planet getting attacked by supervillains every week like in the MCU.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Ehh. MCU movies are consistently safe to go to in theaters but all the films are one-and-done. Star Wars prequel and original can go back to. Disney trilogy is horrible though.

Star Wars has better games.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Warm_Gun  Online
Member since 2021 • 2428 Posts

Even as a kid, I wasn't into capeshit, except Batman. Always found the whole idea of caped vigilantes with superpowers fighting supervillains in the real world lame. Some other exceptions: appreciate the Watchman comic and to a lesser extent the movie for having a good story and being anti-superhero; liked watching the Superman series on Kids WB and will eventually get the (unfortunately) grain-scrubbed version on Blu-ray.

Disney's Star Wars is a mess, but I always liked the original six movies and some of the games. Well, Episode II is poor. I'm not interested in Disney's TV shows. Star Wars needs a cinema presentation. The fantasy is too grand for shitty television/streaming budgets. Genndy's animated series got around that simply by being animated. It also needs the fantasy element: the knights, monarchies, monsters and wizards. Mandalorian and probably the Boba Fett show are too into the more real wild west side of Star Wars for my liking. Solo and Rogue One also lack the fantasy, but I had many other problems with them. Will probably never watch the sequel trilogy again. Abrams' decisions are too frustrating.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6903 Posts

Star Wars went to shit in 2015 and the MCU went to shit in 2020.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uninspiredcup

@SOedipus said:

Ehh. MCU movies are consistently safe to go to in theaters but all the films are one-and-done. Star Wars prequel and original can go back to. Disney trilogy is horrible though.

Star Wars has better games.

This is my take, pretty much.

Though as i've spammed multiple times, the animated Starwars stuff is great and has been for many years.

With Disney (the final 4 episodes of CW) it basically peaked. Doubt Filoni will ever top that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58363 Posts

Star Wars.

Jesus H Christ, how is MCU winning?

I don't think enough people have seen Star Wars content outside of the 9 Episodes. SW Rebels and Clone Wars alone is more epic and emotional and awesome than the paltry MCU content. Plus, some really awesome video games.

MCU is fun, but it's bullshit. I love MCU don't get me wrong, it's highly entertaining. But it's nonsense. "OK guys, we jumped the shark. Time to go to a different universe and just say none of this happened".

Also Thrawn and Vader and and Palpatine are better villains than anything the MCU has and Jedi are basically superheroes and there were thousands of them. One Sith would have defeated the Avengers, one Jedi would have defeated Thanos. THERE I SAID IT, COME AT ME BRO

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I think both are being driven into the ground right now. I haven't liked anything form either franchises for a few years now. I doubt either is going to get any better.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36042 Posts

Star wars has like 6-8 movies I'd be happy to rewatch whereas the marvel movies have like 18-20 or more I'd enjoy rewatching so by the numbers at least it goes to the MCU. My wife just pointed out though that there are so many MCU movies that a rewatch of the series is basically a multi-month task that you are unlikely to ever finish (tried once a couple of years ago and quickly gave up) and there's something to be said for actually being able finish a marathon of a series.

Ultimately I think I'm giving this to the MCU though. That could change depending on my mood.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19578 Posts

MCU for sure.

The original Star Wars trilogy are classics that were very good and highly influential, but the prequels and sequels have repeatedly failed to capture the same magic of the originals. Whereas MCU movies were consistently good for over a decade (until recently), and the MCU has produced way more good movies than Star Wars. I'd also take the best MCU movies over the best Star Wars movies. Endgame is my favourite movie out of all the Marvel and Star Wars movies.

There's no cohesiveness to the Star Wars universe either, as George Lucas didn't have a clear vision for the universe to begin with, but he was just making it up as he went along. His original script was basically Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress set in the Dune universe, then he made a number of revisions before we got the final script, then he made up the plot for the trilogy as he went along, and then plots for the prequels and sequels were also made up as they went along.

In comparison, the MCU had a clear cohesive vision for a shared universe right from the outset. This is thanks to decades of Marvel comic source material to draw from. They already had a clear idea from the comics where to go, so they didn't have to make it up as they went along. However, the MCU movies have recently gone downhill after Endgame (except for Spider-Man). But some of the TV shows have been very good, especially Loki as well as WandaVision, Falcon and What If?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Hard to say these days. Everything in MCU kinda sucks or is meh at best for the last few years.

Same goes for Star Wars, but at last it has Mandalorian which is pretty great. Andor also looks incredible visually, hope the show itself is as good as the trailers. The last 6 movies were trash.

certifieddata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 certifieddata
Member since 2007 • 46096 Posts

Star Wars has my childhood bias, though the sequel trilogy did somewhat dampen my overall view. I haven't seen much of the recent offerings from either camp, but I know Marvel does better hit the itch for over the top action, just lacks the feel good familiarity of Star Wars.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#17 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'm gonna go with the MCU as I'm more familiar with it. As for Star Wars, I've only watched the original trilogy during my childhood that my grandma owned on a VHS boxset. I barely have any recollection of it though. I did however, enjoy the LEGO Star Wars game growing up.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7301 Posts

MCU is consistently good, but the problem is it's too consistent. It all feels like it was made by the same people. Like, Guardians and Thor 3 were considered big departures for being... a little bit funnier than the others. I get that you want cohesivness in a shared universe, but if you're going to make 3-6 movies/TV shows every year there needs to be some variety.

Look, there are way more bad Star Wars movies than Marvel, but I kind of appreciate that they each have their own feel to them. Directors, for better and worse, were allowed to put their stamp the movies they made. OT and PT were very different beasts, and you could really tell who was at the helm of each Disney movie. Rogue One was a bit darker, Solo was a fairly typical Ron Howard film, Rian Johnson made one of the most introspective blockbusters I've ever seen, and Rise of Skywalker might be the most JJ Abrams thing that JJ Abrams has ever jayed his abrams upon. It doesn't always work, but I can forgive some mistakes if they are at least trying something different once in a while. I'll take it over the MCU assembly line anyway.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2039 Posts

MCU of course. Only Rogue One and Mando is good in Star Wars

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#20 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I rewatched the original trilogy. Miles better than any modern superhero movies. I think Marvel peaked with the first Iron Man.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Jag85 said:

There's no cohesiveness to the Star Wars universe either, as George Lucas didn't have a clear vision for the universe to begin with,

No offence Jag but this is rubbish.

The original movie wasn't planned, and some aspects have been changed, but the premise of The Prequels from A to Z has a very clear intent end goal from the get go. This extends to much of the extended universe as well, espically The Clone Wars. It actually has far more going on than typically MCU fair.

Loading Video...

Clone Wars in particular completely syncs with the ROTS, and makes a point in the series that Anakin (in hundreds of episodes) never, ever meets Grievous all for a comment in ROTS where he says "your taller than I expected". That's the kind of micro-detail it does into.

Here's an example of the final 4 episodes of CW (the actual best Disney Starwars movie) synced with the timeline of ROTS.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

When Disney took over, about 89% of content became non-canon, and certain aspects even within the expanded universe due to the scale of it had issues, but for that said scale and intricacy, it was very cohesive.

Sequels? Who cares. I don't. In the trash can.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#22 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19578 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Fair enough, Lucas may have had a rough outline for the prequels and probably Clone Wars too. But the prequels turned out very disappointing, and I've never seen Clone Wars. Whatever Lucas had planned for the prequels didn't come close to the quality of the OG trilogy.

The difference is that Stars Wars is an original movie franchise, whereas the MCU is an adapted movie franchise. It was a lot easier to come up with a cohesive universe with consistent quality for the MCU, because all it was doing is adapting well-received comic books into movies. If the comics were well-received, then that was a good indication that the movie adaptations would be well-received too.

When it came to Star Wars, there was no way to know how well the prequels would turn out. There is no source material to indicate whether what they're planning would be well-received. There's more risk involved to original movie scripts, as opposed to adapted movie scripts.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Jag85 said:

@uninspiredcup:

When it came to Star Wars, there was no way to know how well the prequels would turn out. There is no source material to indicate whether what they're planning would be well-received. There's more risk involved to original movie scripts, as opposed to adapted movie scripts.

And that's why they are more interesting than the MCU.

Lucas wasn't pandering like Disney were with their uninspired Sequels heavily just trying to capture the originals and ignore the Prequels due to them being different. He was making his own vision from an amalgamationof things he loved.

See this? It's a Roman chariot race.

Loading Video...

See this? It's actually a Western scene.

Loading Video...

See this? It's a scene from Frankenstein.

Loading Video...

etc..

The story of the Prequels borrows from many sources, both modern and old, Arthurian Legend, Samurai while combining them with modern stories such as right-wing indoctrination, the left being laxxed and arrogant etc...

I don't get this with any of the MCU movies. They are fun pop-corn flicks I enjoy, but that's all they ever tend to be. Go in expected product, you get product expected and leave.

That's fine. People clearly like this, it brings in the pennies. But to accuse Lucas of failing on this, when it wasn't his intent in the first place is a non-argument. Lucas, unlike Disney, actually doesn't give a shit about pandering.

And that ended up being one of the major stumbling blocks of the modern Disney Starwars movie. Instead of moving forward, they acted as a soft reboot, attempting to replicated him as a product.

Last Jedi deserves more credit than The Force Awakens or Rise Of Skywalker. I personally, don't like it still. But of the 3 movies, this one is the closest to feeling like it's attempting to do its own thing.

JJ by comparison, is some fucking idiot who thought he knew Starwars better than Lucas. And ended up just singing a bad karaoke song.

It's worth bringing up as well, when these "best Starwars movies" lists are done with fans, Revenge Of The Sith sits atop the original trilogy barring Empire, and occasionally topples it.

The view that these are bad among the fandom, is extremely fictitious at this point.

A lot of the arguments as well like "oh the corny dialogue", these are heavily influenced from Flash Gordon, and the exact same argument can be applied to the original movies.

Loading Video...

Everyone someone brings this up, ask them to recount lines from the Sequels. And they generally come up with nothing, because it's comparatively bland with no meme power other than "somehow Palpatine has returned", which itself is mocking how unoriginal it is.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

original star wars > original mcu ( phase1-3) > prequel star wars > current star wars > current mcu

CaIiber345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaIiber345
Member since 2008 • 79 Posts

Overall, Marvel. I grew up on Marvel and SW in the 80’s. Both have their special places in my heart.

I haven’t watched the modern shows aside from Daredevil and Punisher, both of which were amazing to me but then they got wrecked by business decisions. I enjoyed the MCU run through Infinity War. At this point I’m fatigued by it all, despite still liking various film versions of characters. After Ant-Man and Wasp 3, and maybe GotG 3, I’m good.

SW OG trilogy will always be best. Prequels stunk except a few moments in III just because I’m a Vader fan so at least there was a tiny cool moment of seeing him in the suit for the first time. 7 was actually cool, 8 was a travesty and because of it I’ll never watch 9. I can’t say I have any interest in watching any SW movie from now on, unless they got good director and writers for a Rogue Squadron that wanted to tell a SW story instead of selling toys and subscriptions. If they’d ever allow the Expanded Universe from all of the books out there, there might be some good movies assuming, again, they weren’t trying to sell toys and subscriptions.

Rogue One was amazing, but I haven’t watched any other SW films or shows. I hear The Mandalorian is really good and there’s a S3, so I suppose I’ll check that out at some point.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26 GNS
Member since 2015 • 922 Posts

Up to the Iron Man's death, I'd say MCU by a longshot. But afterwards... who knows.