Mars one suddenly got interesting

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by evildead6789 (6825 posts) -

I'm sure you heard of mars one, you know the project they will send people to mars on a one way trip. Even if it's one of the greatest adventures of mankind, not being able to get back home is just one step to far.

However, I was just thinking. The gravity on mars is a lot less.

Like 62 % less. That means if you weigh 200 pounds, you only weigh 76 pounds over there. You can jump three times as high. Even if you pack 100 pounds of gear , you would still feel light as a feather.

Now that makes mars interesting. What do you think?

#2 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

inb4 lock

#3 Posted by evildead6789 (6825 posts) -
#4 Posted by Storm_Marine (10766 posts) -

for one crazy second i thought this thread might have been about them finding life there. :/

#5 Posted by evildead6789 (6825 posts) -
#6 Edited by destinhpark (4700 posts) -

So that's still a thing, huh? I remember FOREVER ago reading an article of them sending people that "volunteer" to go up there, (even if it's actually going to cost them thousands upon thousands of dollars, so basically they aren't true volunteers.)

I'm surprised to learn that this project is still going on. I can't help but wonder how it will develop before they launch it. To be completely honest, I'll be surprised if they actually go through with it.

#7 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@evildead6789: Mars' gravity has been known about for decades... Why are you acting as if this is something newly discovered?

Why does this previously known fact, "suddenly" make mars one interesting?

#8 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@destinhpark: Volunteers for mars one don't have to pay a dime. Their trip is going to be paid for, however they can never return( mars' gravity will cause long-term changes to the human bone and muscle structures)

#9 Posted by elkoldo (882 posts) -

The whole mars one thing is so goddamn stupid.No one, not even the saddest, loneliest ,most desperate,most depressed person would do that.I might as well prefer a one way trip to coffin, to a one way trip to a godforsaken planet.

#10 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10038 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

The whole mars one thing is so goddamn stupid.No one, not even the saddest, loneliest ,most desperate,most depressed person would do that.I might as well prefer a one way trip to coffin, to a one way trip to a godforsaken planet.

guess again. there are too many volunteers already.

#11 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

Yea its not so bad really. Basically, I would totally go if I got to bring along my wife to be and unlimited supply of books, movies and video games. I bet time would just fly by and before I know it I'll find myself a senile man with grandchildren and the prospect of being the king of the entire planet. I'm 25 bordering 26, and I tell you, it feels like it only lasted seconds.

#12 Posted by elkoldo (882 posts) -

@VaguelyTagged: I doubt they are fully aware of the aftermath.

How many are they after all? Really?

#13 Edited by johnd13 (7801 posts) -

This project was interesting to begin with. Though I would not even consider volunteering. The finality of this one way trip scares the shit out of me, so I'll just wait for another chance to travel to Mars and then return to our homeplanet. :P

The only reasons I could see someone want to participate in this is for making a difference - being one of the first humans ever to attempt such an "adventure"(living on Mars until the end of their days) and ofc the adventurous types and those that haven't really thought this through and will probably regret it in the future.

#14 Edited by lamprey263 (22418 posts) -

Of course there's volunteers. Hell, even when that German cannibal who put up internet ads looking for volunteers willing to be killed and eaten had people that responded.

Anyhow, I'd do it if the opportunity presented itself... not like I have any talents that could be of use, but I'd go, not like I have anything better going for me over here, much rather make history. Mind you despite my willingness to go I know I'd make a horrible candidate. There's a significant risk I'd go stir crazy and the crew would probably need to blow me out the airlock.

#15 Edited by XVision84 (13626 posts) -

Jump 3 times higher? I'm thinking this gets me one step closer to being the future NBA slam dunk champion...on mars :(.

#16 Posted by bobaban (10517 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@VaguelyTagged said:

@elkoldo said:

Yea its not so bad really. Basically, I would totally go if I got to bring along my wife to be and unlimited supply of books, movies and video games. I bet time would just fly by and before I know it I'll find myself a senile man with grandchildren and the prospect of being the king of the entire planet. I'm 25 bordering 26, and I tell you, it feels like it only lasted seconds.

Yeah well you're from the Middle East so its just one deserted hell-hole for another

#17 Edited by Motokid6 (5007 posts) -

Elon Musk wants to retire on Mars so if its gonna happen that man will see to it. Mars One will never happen. Its just.. inhumane. And it doesnt need to happen.

The SLS with the Orion MPCV is set for its first launch in 2017 For an Apollo 4 type mission. ( high energy reentry ). And will continue on after that. Mars not being far off.

A new bill was passed not long ago more or less stating the cancelation of SLS and other major projects is prohibited. To prevent what happenee to the Constellation program.

So right now NASA is in limbo. What to do with this great, new rocket? Do we send people back to the Moon? To an asteroid or... to Mars? My guess is thar order exactly. By 2030 we will have returned to the Moon. And depending on how that goes ( we may end up wanting to stay on the Moon and develop there, but thats not what Orion is being made for. ) we will start developing the asteroid mission. We will tow a small rock into lunar orbit and attatch a spacecraft to it.

Then afterwards ( or id saying during ) we will send humans to Mars. First may be a fly-by and then a land and RETURN. But not unafter six months to a year. A six month journey, a year stay, six months back home. Which isnt bad. IIRC theres a few Russians that have logged a few years worth of time on the ISS. So that we have down. Its just now a matter of developing a new enviormental control/life support system.

Humans will be in Mars by 2050 easy. Earlier if more funding is thrown at it. ( half a penny is buying ALL of this at the moment. So imagine what a whole penny could do )

#18 Posted by wis3boi (30881 posts) -

Last time Mars One did an AMA session on reddit, they basically got exposed as a pipe dream scheme. I'm not buying this project

#19 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Motokid6: NASA has little to nothing to do with mars one...

Also, there is no "A six month journey, a year stay, six months back home." People who stay on mars will have their bodies adapt to the different gravity, after a year, their bone and muscles won't stand earth's gravity.

Astronauts have muscle and spinal issues after 6 months in the ISS. It's been made clear that mars one is a one-way trip, with zero expectation of return.

#20 Posted by Ballroompirate (21589 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

You'll be surprised, I mean how often does mankind actually set foot or even live on another planet? that's a once in a lifetime event and even some peoples dream to space travel.

#21 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Ballroompirate: I imagine many people spoke like that while watching settlers from the UK board boats for "the new world"

Really, mars would be quite simple.

No jobs or paychecks, no utility bills, no mortgage.

You'll slowly get to watch/help people settle mars, and your "neighborhood" would be quite close knit for the first decade or so.

#22 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17271 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

Wouldn't be the first time settlers left the old world behind for good to explore a new frontier.

#23 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@bobaban said:

@GazaAli said:

@VaguelyTagged said:

@elkoldo said:

Yeah well you're from the Middle East so its just one deserted hell-hole for another

Hysterical

#24 Posted by not_wanted (1977 posts) -

Why would anyone go there???? The Decepticons are already there.

#25 Posted by Motokid6 (5007 posts) -

@Nibroc420: Noo you must understand the ISS has only so much exersice equipment and very little room and that is micro-gravity. Look up Skylab. Those men came back stronger and healthier. After staying a year on Mars the human body will no dout need some rehabilitation so the heart can survive reentry, but it is nothing that can be overcome. The human body is much more resilient then one would think.

You dont strand humans on Mars. We would NEVER do that. That defeats the purpose of having a space program, it defeats the purpose of manned space flight. If we cant bring these people home then we dont do it all.

But again with proper excersice and training the human body can become stronger in space ( as the men on SkyLab found out ).

#26 Edited by Master_Live (13595 posts) -

^^^^^We as in the US I guess. Until a billionaire designs its own rocket and sends some willing human up there.

#27 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17271 posts) -

Logistically it doesn't make much sense to have a return trip from Mars.

#28 Edited by Motokid6 (5007 posts) -

@@Master_Live: The private sector will not beat NASA to Mars. SpaceX, Boeing, Virgin Galactic and whatever else I cant think of will be in charge of low earth orbit and maybe back and forth between the Moon, but when it comes to the big stuff that's NASA's department. Which is the whole point of the SLS. ( All of this is already underway ).

No.. you just don't do it. You don't send humans into space if you cant bring them home. You think Elon Musk and other billionaires would strand people ( and even himself? ) on another planet? No.. it doesn't matter how much money you have. You NEED a way for these astronauts on the surface of Mars to go home. What if something happens? A HUGE sandstorm rips the habitat apart... gotta go home. And then there's the piece of mind. That comfy thought that if something does go wrong theres a ascent vehicle ready and waiting ( and a return vehicle in orbit ).. that's the ULTIMATE insurance for an astronaut on Mars.

Heres an interesting read.

http://microgravityandthehumanbody.weebly.com/ideas-for-solutions.html

If we could add a centrifuge module to the ISS ( or on a new station by then ) then all that needs to be done is have returning astronauts spend a month in this rehabilitation module before returning to Earth.

@-Sun_Tzu-

Yes, logistically its SO much easier to design a one way trip. But again it cannot.. and will not happen that way. No way in hell are we ( especially Americans ) are going to strand people. Again don't even bother if you cant bring them home.

#29 Edited by Master_Live (13595 posts) -

NASA vs. Private Sector discussion aside; Ditto, you underestimate humans.

#30 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Motokid6: Mars one will send a group of people to mars, one-way. Read up on it on their website.

http://www.mars-one.com/mission/humankind-on-mars

"a one-way mission to Mars is about exploring a new world and the opportunity to conduct the most revolutionary research ever conceived, to build a new home for humans on another planet."

#31 Posted by Motokid6 (5007 posts) -

@Master_Live:

You mean.. over estimate? Or do you mean the mentality factor? Would I like to spend the rest of my life on Mars? To grow old and be buried in a Martian grave? You bet. But am NOT going unless theres a way to get back if something should go wrong. Again I said I would like to grow old and retire on Mars, but if my habitat gets wiped out I wouldn't like to die a slow, horrible death and whatever you could imagine.

#32 Posted by Motokid6 (5007 posts) -

@Nibroc420: Mars One is a pipe-dream that will never happen for the reasons im talking about here. ( amongst all else ) And again.. no private company is going to beat NASA to Mars. NASA WILL have a return plan.. which will become standard issue to anything and anyone going to Mars.

#33 Posted by Master_Live (13595 posts) -

You underestimate the capacity of someone (the billionaire) being capable (not technically, but morally if you will) to send someone to Mars even if there is an explicit acknowledgement that there isn't a way back home "if something should go wrong". And you underestimate the capacity of someone not giving a fuck about not being a way to get back home "if something should go wrong".

#34 Posted by Master_Live (13595 posts) -

And I wouldn't doubt a free 24/7 HD internet feed for all to see. It is going to be fantastic.

#35 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17271 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@-Sun_Tzu-

No way in hell are we ( especially Americans ) are going to strand people.

No one is suggesting "stranding" anyone. Any would-be Martian settlers would be dependent on Earth for the foreseeable future, and obviously contingencies would be in place in the case of emergencies. But what's the point of having a space program all together if every manned space mission requires a ticket home? You're not going to get much farther than the moon with such an arbitrary requirement in place.

#36 Posted by Aljosa23 (24275 posts) -

And I wouldn't doubt a free 24/7 HD internet feed for all to see. It is going to be fantastic.

It takes them 30 minutes to recieve one small image from Curiousity and you think an HD stream is possible? L-O-L

#37 Posted by Motokid6 (5007 posts) -

What im saying is a billionaire is not going to beat NASA to Mars.. Elon Musk is the closest thing to this and even he.. is not going to beat NASA to Mars. They do not have the foundation to perform such an act. Elon may one day land on Mars, but not until after NASA does it. Theres no need to reinvent the wheel either ( Again NASA is already manufacturing the SLS based off of their knowledge and resources from Apollo so there's.. just no point. The experience is one thing no money can buy )

You would need the majority of super-wealthy people to wake up tomorrow and go "You know what.. im going to develop a space program." And then poor ALL their money into it. Which is not going to happen sadly. Humans aren't lab rats.. I don't care how much money you have you USE THAT MONEY.. to incorporate a return plan. And unless its done under the raday im not so sure the public, or NASA themselves would let a private company do such a thing.

Tl:Dr... If NASA performs a land and return... why would anyone else strand their astronaut... even after NASA just took theirs home? It would be standard procedure afterwards.

#38 Posted by Master_Live (13595 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

It takes them 30 minutes to recieve one small image from Curiousity and you think an HD stream is possible? L-O-L

Oh wait, I forgot my totally hypothetical case is occurring in 2014. L-O-L.

#39 Posted by Motokid6 (5007 posts) -

@-Sun_Tzu-: The Moon, Mars and Maybe Venus.. After that no your right some other plan will have to be made for VERY long term trips. Besides I cant see humans traveling further then Mars/Venus in the coming century. The next thing would be a manned trip to Jupiter which.. is a thing for the year 2100.

#40 Posted by Aljosa23 (24275 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

Oh wait, I forgot my totally hypothetical case is occurring in 2014. L-O-L.

By the time we have HD internet connections spanning millions of miles we would have landed on Mars plenty of times by then.

#41 Edited by -Sun_Tzu- (17271 posts) -
#42 Edited by evildead6789 (6825 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

@evildead6789: Mars' gravity has been known about for decades... Why are you acting as if this is something newly discovered?

Why does this previously known fact, "suddenly" make mars one interesting?

Well, I am a sci fi lover, but I couldn't really think of a single reason to stay on mars. There might very well be nothing there. You can set up a new life there and be a martian king but that's really not that interesting either

Low gravity can be very entertaining. Imagine weighing 3 times less. You d run as fast as a slow motorcycle lol. You could invent new games on mars, jumpball. Of course we already knew this but It never crossed my mind when I heard about mars one.

#43 Posted by ad1x2 (5399 posts) -

I'm not familiar with all of the details with the mission but from what I read so far they send a small group first and from there send ships with supplies and more people. My concern is if one of those supply ships didn't make it, or a problem at the camp put the people in a position where they couldn't survive before the resupply ship made it, or if somebody had a medical issue come up that nobody present was medically qualified to treat.

To me, while it sounds like a good idea in theory, with all of the things that could go wrong most people would have to be borderline suicidal to volunteer and somebody in that state of mind probably isn't the type of person you want to send out on this mission.

#44 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@Aljosa23: considering the current state of laser communication research, HD mars one isn't that Far off