Man pretends to be Black in order to get into medical school

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

Actress Mindy Kaling's brother says that he posed as a black man years ago to get into medical school and that the experience opened his eyes to what he calls the hypocrisy of affirmative action.

The revelation comes as Vijay Chokal-Ingam, who is of Indian descent, is pitching a book about his experiences as a "hard-partying college frat boy who discovered the seriousness and complexity of America's racial problems while posing as a black man."

On his website, AlmostBlack.com, Chokal-Ingam says he hatched the plan in 1998 after realizing in college that his grades weren't going to be good enough to get into med school as an Indian-American.

"So, I shaved my head, trimmed my long Indian eyelashes, and applied to medical school as a black man," he wrote on the website. "My change in appearance was so startling that my own fraternity brothers didn't recognize me at first."

Actress Mindy Kaling's brother says his sister isn't happy with his plans for a book about affirmative action.

He says he joined an organization for black students and applied to schools using his middle name, JoJo.

The plan had some drawbacks, said Chokal-Ingam, who describes himself now as a "professional resume writer, interview coach, and graduate school application consultant."

"Cops harassed me. Store clerks accused me of shoplifting. Women were either scared of me or couldn't keep their hands off me," he wrote. "What started as a devious ploy to gain admission to medical school turned into a twisted social experiment."

But, he says, it worked. Despite a relatively mediocre 3.1 college grade-point average and a score of 31 on the Medical College Admission Test, he says, he was wooed by a number of top medical schools.

He eventually attended Saint Louis University Medical School, dropping out after two years.

Affirmative action has been in the news a lot the past few years, with a 2013 Supreme Court ruling that tightened how affirmative action admissions programs have to be structured and a2014 ruling that upheld the University of Michigan's ban on the use of race in admissions.

Chokal-Ingam says his story shows how affirmative action "destroys the dreams of millions of Indian-American, Asian American, and white applicants for employment and higher education."

"It also creates negative stereotypes about the academic abilities and professional skills of African-American and Hispanic professionals, who don't need special assistance in order to compete with other minority groups," he wrote.

But a Saint Louis University spokeswoman disputed the account, telling the Huffington Post that race never played a role in Chokal-Ingam's admission.

"His MCAT scores and science grade point average met SLU's criteria for admission at that time, and his race or ethnicity did not factor into his acceptance into the University," the website quoted SLU spokeswoman Nancy Solomon as saying.

As might be expected, Chokal-Ingam's claim hasn't gone over well in some quarters.

"Whatever you feel about affirmative action, let's consider that one person's experience over a decade and a half ago -- an experience that ultimately didn't yield any deluge in acceptance letters anyway -- is not really indicative of the current state of college admissions," wrote Salon's Mary Elizabeth Williams.

"Nor is it necessarily an exemplary window into the complex and mysterious vetting process of elite institutions," she added. "Instead, Chokal-Ingam's story is one of a successful woman's brother liberally using her name to drum up attention and controversy."

Chokal-Ingam's sister, formerly of "The Office" and current star of TV's "The Mindy Project," is among those who aren't on board, he wrote on his website.

She "strongly disapproves of my book," he wrote, arguing that it will bring shame on the family.

But others said they don't see what all the fuss is about.

"I don't blame this guy at all he earned the right to get into that school via hardwork and wasn't getting it and felt like others were getting what he wanted to so he did what he had to," Twitter user josephdiano77 said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/07/living/feat-mindy-kaling-brother-affirmative-action/

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

"we don't need assistance to compete with other minority groups"

Other minority groups no. White privilege yes.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

Interesting read. No wonder it was easy for me to get into Medical school.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

psssh, that's nothing, I once pretended to be blonde to get into Beverly Hills. =P

Gamer_Durandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By Gamer_Durandal
Member since 2014 • 129 Posts

Wow - the original post was lifted from CNN - the parent didn't even add their own take on it.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RichieTickles
Member since 2014 • 424 Posts

It's a sad day when a person's skin color is more important to Ivy League universities than finding the most intelligent candidates and rewarding that hard work.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

What a load of bull....

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

And Will Smith acted white, haha... talked white, hahaaaa

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

psssh, that's nothing, I once pretended to be blonde to get into Beverly Hills. =P

So it worked or not?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Its a 'indian' dude who tried to be black LOL.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@richietickles said:

It's a sad day when a person's skin color is more important to Ivy League universities than finding the most intelligent candidates and rewarding that hard work.

Why, are you racist? Shouldn't less privileged people be given opportunities in life?

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RichieTickles

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

Why, are you racist? Shouldn't less privileged people be given opportunities in life?

I'll pass on this question.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts
@richietickles said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

I'll pass on this question.

i catched, richie isn't racist as everyone should've the same chance not skin color related like he said

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Do you really even need to change your appearance? As far as I'm know, you can just say your black or asian on paper and they won't bother actually checking.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

I want the best qualified person to be my doctor not someone who got to medical school based on some quota system. Race and skin color don't matter to me only that the person is well trained and knows medicine.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I like meritocracies.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@ianhh6 said:

There's minority groups that actually outperform white people.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Catalli  Moderator

@Renevent42 said:
@ianhh6 said:

And I wouldn't go against facts by saying there aren't. Still, systemic racism is a thing, white privilege also exists, no matter how much people like to point out the president is black. While there's still the risk of (sub)conscious discrimination against minorities, lgbt groups or women, affirmative action needs to be in place.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Renevent42
@ianhh6 said:

@Renevent42 said:
@ianhh6 said:

And I wouldn't go against facts by saying there aren't. Still, systemic racism is a thing, white privilege also exists, no matter how much people like to point out the president is black. While there's still the risk of (sub)conscious discrimination against minorities, lgbt groups or women, affirmative action needs to be in place.

The fact other minority groups can excel, to the point of actually surpassing whites, kinda shows that it's probably not needed since other minority groups can excel and actually outperform whites. If "white privilege" was such a powerful force in determining the success of minority groups this shouldn't be possible.

Not to say there's zero effect and or that there isn't any racism in the US, but I personally believe that a groups success has more to do with the specific group than the white man keeping them down.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Catalli  Moderator

@Renevent42 said:
@ianhh6 said:

The fact other minority groups can excel, to the point of actually surpassing whites, kinda shows that it's probably not needed since other minority groups can excel and actually outperform whites. If "white privilege" was such a powerful force in determining the success of minority groups this shouldn't be possible.

Just because there's a tendency doesn't mean everyone and everything is going to follow it. It's like saying the glass cieling doesn't exist because there are women CEOs. It still fucking exists.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Renevent42

@ianhh6 said:

@Renevent42 said:
@ianhh6 said:

Just because there's a tendency doesn't mean everyone and everything is going to follow it. It's like saying the glass cieling doesn't exist because there are women CEOs. It still fucking exists.

That is kinda what it means. Not that everyone will follow, but that it is perfectly possible.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

"White privilege" - the latest lie from left wing lunatics.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Interesting, I didn't know Indian and Asian Americans had a harder time getting into colleges because of Affirmative Action. I thought that since they were considered non-white that they would benefit and that it AA just hurt white people.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KHAndAnime
@Born_Lucky said:

Poor black males do seem to have better opportunities than poor white people. White just might be the new black.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

Not if you don't posses the skills to justify your opportunities.

Don't want to be on the operating table of anyone that doesn't qualify to get into med school on their own merits.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime

@kuu2 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

Don't want to be on the operating table of anyone that doesn't qualify to get into med school on their own merits.

Who says that's the case here? No one unqualified is being hired instead of a qualified person. A better example is that there's 100 qualified people, 75 of them white, 25 of them minority. If they can hire only 10 of these people, what's wrong with hiring 5 white people and 5 minorities?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kuu2
@KHAndAnime said:

@kuu2 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

Who says that's the case here? No one unqualified is being hired instead of a qualified person. A better example is that there's 100 qualified people, 75 of them white, 25 of them minority. If they can hire only 10 of these people, what's wrong with hiring 5 white people and 5 minorities?

That's not what happened in the case of this story.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kuu2

@Born_Lucky said:

American Blacks are the left's social guinea pigs. The left turns the wheel making American blacks think they actually are moving forward. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Well we wouldn't want our future doctors to be as qualified as possible now would we.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Affirmative action and government quotas are such jokes.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kuu2

@Bigboi500 said:

Affirmative action and government quotas are such jokes.

If you can't bring up the bottom, bring down the top.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iloveatlus

i'm buying the book when it comes out, anyone else going to?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I remember I went to school with an adopted dark skinned Indian kid who use to tell people he was black, less as a social experiment I think he just wanted to believe it himself and others to believe it too.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Well, a dark skinned Indian kid would be black, just not an African-American.

I'm black (caramel baby!) but I'm not an African-American. I do have an African heritage as all Puerto Ricans do courtesy of the Spaniard slave trade.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Dogswithguns said:

Correct American English is not owned by any one race of people.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@Dogswithguns said:

Hey, don't bring logic into this thread. That's no fun. :P

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@BranKetra said:

@Dogswithguns said:

Hey, don't bring logic into this thread. That's no fun. :P

Sorry, my bad..

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@kuu2 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

Not 5 minorities. Because we have too many asian and Indian minorities in jobs of priviledge, so cut down their numbers to 0.2 of that 10 spots.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@sonicare said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@kuu2 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

Not 5 minorities. Because we have too many asian and Indian minorities in jobs of priviledge, so cut down their numbers to 0.2 of that 10 spots.

0.2? So bring only the head and neck of an Asian person? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#41  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Wait, what's the story here? He applied for college and got accepted...how can be prove that pretending to be black was what got him in? It's not like he signed up as an Indian-American first and got rejected...

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RichieTickles

@whipassmt said:

Interesting, I didn't know Indian and Asian Americans had a harder time getting into colleges because of Affirmative Action. I thought that since they were considered non-white that they would benefit and that it AA just hurt white people.

Affirmative Action hurts everybody. Brian Williams won't report this "news" until after he receives a Medal of Honor and the Edward R. Murrow award.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RichieTickles
@sonicare said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@kuu2 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

Not 5 minorities. Because we have too many asian and Indian minorities in jobs of priviledge

Loading Video...

You're comment made me think of Cartman's greatest hit.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's about damn time humanity moved past skin colour.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 iloveatlus

@richietickles said:

@whipassmt said:

Affirmative Action hurts everybody. Brian Williams won't report this "news" until after he receives a Medal of Honor and the Edward R. Murrow award.

I heard Affirmative Action hurts Asians the most, but it helps out White Women the most.

RichieTickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RichieTickles

@iloveatlus said:

@richietickles said:

@whipassmt said:

I heard Affirmative Action hurts Asians the most, but it helps out White Women the most.

You can say that again in two years ;)

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iloveatlus

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/11/20/365547463/new-affirmative-action-cases-say-policies-hurt-asian-americans

http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@kuu2 said:
@KHAndAnime said:

@kuu2 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@richietickles said:

That's not what happened in the case of this story.

But why play favorites? Why should "minorities" get special treatment?

Everyone should be treated the same.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

"Women were either scared of me or couldn't keep their hands off me,"

lol