man in florida shot dead for texting during cinema

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by indzman (16239 posts) -

ARTICLE

Ex-officer Curtis Reeves, 71, opened fire after asking a man sitting directly in front of him to stop texting several times, a Pasco County Sheriff spokesman said.

The two couples had been waiting to watch the new war film Lone Survivor at the Cobb Grove 16 cinema in Wesley Chapel when the row broke out.

ROFL I may not shoot anyone disturbing me while enjoying my movie by texting or calling on mobile but i definately feel like changing my seats or telling usher to change the persons seat lol. Its really annoying ... imo .

What do you think OT ? texting , chatting over mobile while watching movies in cinema theatre and disturbing others is not good idea ya ?

#2 Edited by Randolph (10322 posts) -

Curtis Reeves shot another man to death for texting his baby sitter about his daughter, a daughter who now no longer has a father. He deserves to spend whatever is left of his life at this point in prison. Also, the texting was happening during the flipping previews, not the actual movie.

#3 Edited by BranKetra (47334 posts) -

Stuff like that is why I left Florida and will never ever go back.

#4 Posted by indzman (16239 posts) -

Why ? is it very violent city ?

#5 Edited by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

Curtis Reeves deserves to rot in jail!

#6 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

You'd think a retired cop would have a little more discipline. Why would you even bring a gun to a movie theatre anyway?

#7 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

@indzman said:

@BranKetra said:

This is right near my hometown. The area where this happened isn't considered violent at all. It is basically what is referred to as "New Tampa". It is really burbish. Lots of suburbs, shopping centers, families etc. This story is big news around here though. The guy who did it is an absolute fucking idiot and I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison.

#8 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

Also as Randolph said, this happened during the preview.

On a side note when I saw the shooter's picture and some video of him, he looked exactly like what I expected him to look like.

#9 Posted by indzman (16239 posts) -

@indzman said:

@BranKetra said:

This is right near my hometown. The area where this happened isn't considered violent at all. It is basically what is referred to as "New Tampa". It is really burbish. Lots of suburbs, shopping centers, families etc. This story is big news around here though. The guy who did it is an absolute fucking idiot and I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison.

ahhh , thanks for the info. I wonder why bran left Florido tho lol, he might have had more bad experience while staying in florida i guess Heh.

#10 Edited by foxhound_fox (86574 posts) -

You'd think a retired cop would have a little more discipline. Why would you even bring a gun to a movie theatre anyway?

Isn't Florida an open-carry state?

Anyways, overkill to the extreme.

#11 Posted by BranKetra (47334 posts) -

@indzman said:

@BranKetra said:

When I was living in Florida until a couple years ago, I used to experience a lot of prejudice and learned about many crimes not far from where I lived. It is not all bad, but my experience with that state was negative enough that going back would a bad decision.

#12 Edited by indzman (16239 posts) -

i want to know what airshocker thinks about it as it involves a retired cop yet a ex cop lol

#13 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

@indzman said:

@TacticalDesire said:

@indzman said:

@BranKetra said:

ahhh , thanks for the info. I wonder why bran left Florido tho lol, he might have had more bad experience while staying in florida i guess Heh.

I imagine he's saying he left because of all the crazy people in this state, which definitely has some truth to it.

#14 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

No, though there are people who are desperately trying.

#15 Posted by indzman (16239 posts) -

@indzman said:

@BranKetra said:

When I was living in Florida until a couple years ago, I used to experience a lot of prejudice and learned about many crimes not far from where I lived. It is not all bad, but my experience with that state was negative enough that going back would a bad decision.

Shame :(

#16 Edited by Randolph (10322 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Makhaidos said:

Well even if it is, in an open carry state if a business posts that guns are not allowed on the premises, well, too bad. You have to leave it in the car or go shop somewhere else. Apparently this movie theatre did in fact ban guns in their theater.

#17 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

@indzman said:

i want to know what airshocker thinks about it as it involves a retired cop yet a ex cop lol

I have often observed a fine line between cops and certain types of criminals. I know a few people who could have potentially gone down the criminal road, but one or two events in their life, or a bit of guidance turned them towards the law enforcement track instead. I guess what I am saying is that people with certain personality traits are often attracted to law enforcement. Personality traits that imo, could easily lead to criminal behavior if not properly controlled.

Long story short, I am rarely surprised when I read about the transgressions of ex-law enforcement.

#18 Edited by indzman (16239 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Makhaidos said:

Well even if it is, in an open carry state if a business posts that guns are not allowed on the premises, well, too bad. You have to leave it in the car or go shop somewhere else. Apparently this movie theatre did in fact ban guns in their theater.

Didn't this cinema theatre have metal detectors if gun is banned inside ? or being checked by security before entering ?

#19 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@indzman said:

@Randolph said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Makhaidos said:

Didn't this cinema theatre have metal detectors if gun is banned inside ? or being checked by security before entering ?

I've never in my life seen a movie theatre with that kind of security.

#20 Posted by indzman (16239 posts) -

@indzman said:

@Randolph said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Makhaidos said:

I've never in my life seen a movie theatre with that kind of security.

All multiplexes and many popular cinemea theatres where movie premeire takes place got those nowadays . But yeah never seen it in C grade movie theatres.

#21 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16937 posts) -

This is why you don't be an ass in public. You never know what kind of psycho you might set off....

#22 Edited by indzman (16239 posts) -

@indzman said:

I have often observed a fine line between cops and certain types of criminals. I know a few people who could have potentially gone down the criminal road, but one or two events in their life, or a bit of guidance turned them towards the law enforcement track instead. I guess what I am saying is that people with certain personality traits are often attracted to law enforcement. Personality traits that imo, could easily lead to criminal behavior if not properly controlled.

Long story short, I am rarely surprised when I read about the transgressions of ex-law enforcement.

Yeah many bad cops out there too, who act like criminals in many instances. Mr reeves seems like one such individual.

#23 Posted by the_bi99man (11022 posts) -

You'd think a retired cop would have a little more discipline.

Most of the working ones don't have any more discipline than that. Not surprised.

#24 Edited by THE_DRUGGIE (24921 posts) -

I'm thinking of a joke involving the movie's title, but I feel bad for even thinking about it.

#25 Posted by lamprey263 (22254 posts) -

He wasn't even texting during movie but in the previews, half of which tend to be Coke, car, Fandango, and ballet, and bouncy gym commercials.

#26 Posted by sukraj (21450 posts) -

that is just so crazy

#27 Edited by jcknapier711 (379 posts) -

This is what nooses are for.

#28 Edited by hippiesanta (9712 posts) -

Americans are beyond crazy

#29 Posted by indzman (16239 posts) -

Americans are beyond crazy

Seems Mr Reeves acted on your sig's quote LOL !

#30 Posted by johnd13 (7782 posts) -

This is crazy. I know people can be annoying at the cinema(even though the victim was just texting during the previews) but to take another human's life for this? Reeves deserves his time in jail.

#32 Posted by Barbariser (6693 posts) -

We'll see if they actually manage to put him in jail or if he's going to get out of it on some kind of self defence argument.

#33 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Jeez, how loud/disruptive can one be while texting?

#34 Posted by Master_Live (13485 posts) -

Totally unjustifiable. People should a hint just leave the texting, talking on the cellphone and your loquacious girlfriend (it happened to me in American Hustle) out of the theater. Have some consideration.

#35 Posted by toast_burner (21057 posts) -

America should disown Florida. It's dragging the whole countries image down.

#36 Posted by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

If only the guy had a gun....

#37 Posted by toast_burner (21057 posts) -

If only the guy had a gun....

is this a joke?

#38 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

This is the same theater I go to. This area is not considered New Tampa to anyone. It's in Pasco County, not Hillsborough. Also, this theater does not have metal detectors, nor is it considered "C grade", it's actually one of the nicer theaters in the Tampa-metro area.

On topic: Reeves is doomed to abuse in jail (former cop).

#39 Posted by gamerguru100 (10346 posts) -

Obligatory: This would never have happened if everyone in the theater had guns.

Seriously, why did the guy even bring a gun to the movie theater? And the guy was texting his daughter, who now has no father because some self-righteous fuck up fucked up. This species fucking blows.

#40 Edited by Renevent42 (4995 posts) -

I left Florida 2 years ago and agree, never going back. I might visit places like The Keys/Sanibel/etc as they are awesome, but living in Palm Beach County I watched that area pretty much go down the drain. It's probably not that much worse crime wise then most other large areas, but the people there suck.

#41 Posted by k2theswiss (16575 posts) -

hope that old man spent his retirement money already... he got 20 years to think about it now.

silly really when you can tell a employee and they will kick them out. ateast thats how it is here. there is no second chance.

#42 Posted by 35cent (871 posts) -

Why would someone bring a gun into a cinema in the first place? He'll probably spend the rest of his life in prison due to his stupidity.

#43 Edited by Blueresident87 (5190 posts) -

Such a senseless act...what's the point

Confront the person like an adult human being, you know, without a fucking gun

'He asked him several times to put his phone away.' Yea, so that didn't work, the next logical step is to shoot the guy

#44 Posted by InEMplease (6283 posts) -

Where's Bugs Bunny to saw Florida off the US when you need him?

#45 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@35cent said:

Why would someone bring a gun into a cinema in the first place? He'll probably spend the rest of his life in prison due to his stupidity.

in case there's another bad batman movie? Self defense, der.

#46 Edited by Brain_Duster (377 posts) -

Eh, he had it coming.

#47 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4870 posts) -

Lucky for me I live in the Uk and strict gun laws have deterred me from bringing a gun into the cinema but if it wasn't for that, you'll probably of read about me on one of these articals murdering someone during The Clone Wars many years ago.

#48 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7686 posts) -

Isn't he claiming self defense now? Round two of stand your ground!

#49 Posted by one_plum (6285 posts) -
#50 Edited by curono (7710 posts) -

So he went to see "Sole Survivor" and he died. Is it bad if I find it funny?

On the serious side...

It is disgusting how things can escalate into killing a person for a regular verbal fight. I hope Gun advocates get to defend this as well. Oh.. maybe if the other guy had a gun, he would have shot first.