Make one world issue disappear forever.

• 94 results
#1 Posted by gamerguru100 (10450 posts) -

If you could make one worldwide problem magically disappear forever at the snap of your fingers, what would it be? I'd snap poverty out of existence. Doing so would not only solve the problem of hunger but would also decrease the crime rate to an extent. Since poverty and crime are linked, ousting poverty would put a dent in the crime rate.

"Your topic title can't have more than 60 characters."

If I could make one GameSpot issue disappear forever, it would be that.

#2 Posted by JP_ (12814 posts) -

Hi gamerguru100,

The only Logical reason behind this right now is to Prevent Spam Titles at the most. I believe 60 Characters is a Respectable amount and I am not sure why you guys would even be complaining about it. So what if we can't use 80 Character Titles anymore. Maybe that is Gamespot Staff's way of saying try to Convey your Title in a better way with a Restriction pulled in.

This is just my Perspective as I am only a Moderator but, hopefully they will put it a bit higher in the future

#3 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

fat people

#4 Edited by Master_Live (13953 posts) -

@jp_ said:

Hi gamerguru100,

The only Logical reason behind this right now is to Prevent Spam Titles at the most. I believe 60 Characters is a Respectable amount and I am not sure why you guys would even be complaining about it. So what if we can't use 80 Character Titles anymore. Maybe that is Gamespot Staff's way of saying try to Convey your Title in a better way with a Restriction pulled in.

This is just my Perspective as I am only a Moderator but, hopefully they will put it a bit higher in the future

GS likes to convey a lot of things lately, users are conveying back by leaving in troves. But by all means GS should keep conveying.

#5 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3347 posts) -

Bullying.

#6 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

American Liberalism.

#7 Posted by Iszdope (9548 posts) -

Religion.

#8 Posted by hippiesanta (9757 posts) -

Extremist like PETA, Al-Qaeda, Atheist Union (why the eff they need a union??) , Boko Haram, Abu Sayaff, Communism and FEMEN

these groups hates wtching others live happilly ever after ...

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (7550 posts) -

Governments that advocate genocide.

#10 Edited by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

American Liberalism.

Hmm, why would you want to do that and why did you confine your choice to American liberalism instead of liberalism in its totality?

#11 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6723 posts) -

Quite hard not to choose poverty. And as you mentioned, eliminating poverty would help to solve a lot of society's problems.

#12 Posted by indzman (16849 posts) -

Terrorism

#13 Edited by helwa1988 (2067 posts) -

Corrupt governments.

#14 Posted by elkoldo (954 posts) -

depression

#15 Posted by locus-solus (485 posts) -

using religion to persecute people

#16 Posted by Iszdope (9548 posts) -
#17 Posted by mulalatum (33 posts) -

Your mom

#18 Edited by Iszdope (9548 posts) -
#19 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

Suffering.

#20 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

Injustice, followed by political correctness.

#21 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

Quite hard not to choose poverty. And as you mentioned, eliminating poverty would help to solve a lot of society's problems.

In today's world and its unprecedented collective affluence and abundance in commodities, poverty does not exist as a problem in itself. Think of it only as a symptom or as an expression of more serious and real underlying problems, namely injustice.

#22 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Myself.

#23 Posted by pariah3 (964 posts) -

Extreme pain and suffering

#24 Posted by jimkabrhel (15416 posts) -

Adequate availability of fresh, clean water. Dozens of diseases would be dealt with if many third world countries had the technology to provide clean water.

@vfibsux We love you too.

#25 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Disease free world

#26 Edited by Barbariser (6717 posts) -

Irrationality.

@GazaAli said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

In today's world and its unprecedented collective affluence and abundance in commodities, poverty does not exist as a problem in itself. Think of it only as a symptom or as an expression of more serious and real underlying problems, namely injustice.

What an incredibly simple minded, detail-free and useless statement that is.

#27 Edited by alim298 (1108 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Injustice

Hmm interesting. Justice is an important principle in shia doctorine but even though I'm shia myself I never quite understood the concept. What exactly is your definition of justice?

#28 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17379 posts) -

So many to choose from; racism, poverty, war, drug addiction, hunger, incurable diseases

I'm going to go with pooping, I'm over it. It smells and there's better things I can be doing with my time, like writing the world's next great symphony.

Or masturbating

#29 Posted by Master_Live (13953 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

How so?

#30 Posted by Master_Live (13953 posts) -

Irrationality.

@GazaAli said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

Par for the course.

#31 Posted by DrKillByDeath84 (371 posts) -

Social engineering.

#32 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@vfibsux said:

American Liberalism.

Hmm, why would you want to do that and why did you confine your choice to American liberalism instead of liberalism in its totality?

Because as has been shown on this site with its vast nationalities liberalism in America does not mean the same thing as liberalism in another country.

#33 Posted by Mikey132 (5101 posts) -

Israel

#34 Edited by Master_Live (13953 posts) -
#35 Posted by lostrib (33036 posts) -
#36 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -
#38 Posted by alim298 (1108 posts) -
#39 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@GazaAli said:

Injustice

Hmm interesting. Justice is an important principle in shia doctorine but even though I'm shia myself I never quite understood the concept. What exactly is your definition of justice?

To be honest with you, I find myself extremely perplexed at the definition of justice. Whenever I think that I reached the true definition of absolute justice as a virtue and as in practice, I find the definition to be conducive to some form of injustice on others and the concept escapes yet again. For now, consider the utilitarian conviction of justice to be the closest of what I have in mind, but that most like will change as I mature more.

#40 Posted by Mikey132 (5101 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Mikey132 said:

Israel

You must be Iranian.

Must be? elaborate on how you drew that conclusion

#41 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@Mikey132 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Mikey132 said:

Israel

You must be Iranian.

Do I really have to? Come on bro.

#42 Posted by comp_atkins (31186 posts) -

stupidity is the foundation of all our problems.

#43 Posted by Aljosa23 (24542 posts) -

Social Conservatism (American)

#44 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Social Conservatism (American)

As long as you leave fiscal conservatism alone I can live with that.

#45 Edited by Mikey132 (5101 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@Mikey132 said:

@vfibsux said:

@Mikey132 said:

Israel

You must be Iranian.

Do I really have to? Come on bro.

Maybe I'm Jewish and wishing that it's a world issue I want to disappear.

Just because I said Israel doesn't mean I meant kill it!

#46 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@GazaAli said:

@vfibsux said:

American Liberalism.

Because as has been shown on this site with its vast nationalities liberalism in America does not mean the same thing as liberalism in another country.

Hmm, I actually never thought of it this way. I mean I never made the distinction between American liberalism and its European counterpart for example. Is it safe to say that what you're arguing here is that American liberalism has to some extent become despotic and coercive lately? It could be or it could not be the case I don't know. But if I were to argue that it in reality is the case, I'd say that the history of the U.S has something to do with it. The U.S has never suffered under a true Christian theocracy which is why Christianity and religion in general were never perceived negatively enough to be fully abolished, which is something that could be said about Europe. On the contrary, Christianity for the most part has been perceived quite positively in the U.S over the decades. It was thought of as greatly beneficial and a part of the American pride and heritage. My guess is that American liberals originally thought that liberalism will eventually come about on its own in the U.S so they maintained a low profile for a considerable period of time. Maybe they realized that this won't be happening voluntarily or maybe they ran out of patience. They have certainly become more assertive and decisive, and being envious and even patronized by the progress of their European counterparts apparently fueled them even more. Of course that alone would not explain the entire thing; after all, religion/conservatism is losing ground pretty much everywhere these days.

If that's the case, it would be interesting to see what form a truly liberal U.S would come to inhabit in case American liberals manage to transform the American society. The other possibility is that they fail, which would be equally interesting to observe both how that failure would come into being and what its repercussions would be.

#47 Posted by Master_Live (13953 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

American Liberalism.

We can only hope.

#48 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

Irrationality.

@GazaAli said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

Oh you

#49 Posted by DaBrainz (7623 posts) -

I don't know. In Star Trek as soon as they fixed society by eliminating money, poverty, hunger and war, they went off and started new wars with the Romulans and Klingons. So solving world problems just causes worse ones.

#50 Posted by Mikey132 (5101 posts) -

@DaBrainz:

@DaBrainz said:

I don't know. In Star Trek as soon as they fixed society by eliminating money, poverty, hunger and war, they went off and started new wars with the Romulans and Klingons. So solving world problems just causes worse ones.

Really? as if we have all kinds of Alien races to go start wars with