Maccabi Tel Aviv crowned European Masters of basketball

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

In a nail-biting finale of the Euroelague, Maccabi Tel Aviv managed to beat Real Madrid 98-86. With Euroleague being the most interesting competition in the world's second most interesting sport, Maccabi's feat is a huge triumph for such a small and amazing country. Today anyone who loves interesting sport and goodness is happy.

This is Maccabi's 6th Euroleague win and 15th finale appearance reaffirming their status as true legends of interesting basketball.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Which probably would get beaten by all 30 NBA teams but congrats anyways.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 themajormayor

@Master_Live said:

Which probably would get beaten by all 30 NBA teams but congrats anyways.

There's like a million threads on NBA on here. Does it have to enter the one thread about Euroleague? And it's not true in any case.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

the hebrew tribe has infiltrated basketball as well it seems

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Which is kind of ironic considering the fact that Israel isn't even in Europe.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GazaAli

@Hiddai said:

@GazaAli said:

Who cares if Israel would have been on a different galaxy. We went to Europe and smoked them all. With all due respect to your opinions on evil Israel, this is Sports and not politics so try, please, to say one good word.

Congratz to them. Europe is yellow! W00t

I'm not denying them their victory. I'm sure it was a hard-earned one. But doesn't it sound peculiar to you that a state would compete in some sport competition in which it doesn't belong to in the first place? It is peculiar you know. It has nothing to do with Israel being evil and whatnot. The thing does have political connotations.

But if its going to make your day any better, congrats to Maccabi Tel-Aviv.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#8 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Hiddai said:

@GazaAli said:

Who cares if Israel would have been on a different galaxy. We went to Europe and smoked them all. With all due respect to your opinions on evil Israel, this is Sports and not politics so try, please, to say one good word.

I'm not denying them their victory. I'm sure it was a hard-earned one. But doesn't it sound peculiar to you that a state would compete in some sport competition in which it doesn't belong to in the first place? It is peculiar you know. It has nothing to do with Israel being evil and whatnot. The thing does have political connotations.

lol

I'm not sure but i think we were in the past competing at the Asian leagues but we moved to Europe because of the political problems. I agree we should not play in Europe and move back to Asia. (It will make the Football team of MTA having better results for sure). Everybody wants to play in Europe because of the glory they have in sports. I think even Kazahstan plays there.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By themajormayor

@GazaAli said:

@Hiddai said:

@GazaAli said:

I think the Asian league would not allow them in due to the hostile relations between them and many of its members. If they were allowed to join then really there wouldn't be a competition anymore. So in that sense it's perhaps similar to why Cardiff City plays in the premier league even though they are not English. And Monaco plays in Ligue 1 even though they are not in France. What really is mind boggling is that Cyprus, an Asian Middle Eastern country, can join the EU.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GazaAli

@Hiddai said:

@GazaAli said:

@Hiddai said:

@GazaAli said:

lol

I'm not sure but i think we were in the past competing at the Asian leagues but we moved to Europe because of the political problems. I agree we should not play in Europe and move back to Asia. (It will make the Football team of MTA having better results for sure). Everybody wants to play in Europe because of the glory they have in sports. I think even Kazahstan plays there.

Individual, professional athletes want to play for European leagues, not national teams. I don't know maybe Europe took Israel's sports in out of guilt.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BossPerson

reminds me of when some lebanese people in my high school told me that lebanon should join the EU

lol, Gaza can laugh along with me on that one.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GazaAli

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@Hiddai said:

@GazaAli said:

I think the Asian league would not allow them in due to the hostile relations between them and many of its members. If they were allowed to join then really there wouldn't be a competition anymore. So in that sense it's perhaps similar to why Cardiff City plays in the premier league even though they are not English. And Monaco plays in Ligue 1 even though they are not in France. What really is mind boggling is that Cyprus, an Asian Middle Eastern country, can join the EU.

It is a no brainer that Israel would choose to compete in European sports' leagues because of the antagonism that is between Israel and many members that compete in Asian sports' leagues. And regarding the other two examples you mentioned, they're really special cases that do not involve states with sovereignty, geopolitical matters and foreign relations/image.

Not only Cyprus which is possibly a Middle Eastern state ( a very small and irelevant one too) managed to join the EU, but it also almost managed to bring it down to its knees lol. The enlargement of the EU in the 90s was so sloppy and poorly thought-out it seems.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hiddai

Asia should create an Asian Union and start to nurture the Economy and Sports there. It will take some time though :P

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 themajormayor

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@Hiddai said:

@GazaAli said:

It is a no brainer that Israel would choose to compete in European sports' leagues because of the antagonism that is between Israel and many members that compete in Asian sports' leagues. And regarding the other two examples you mentioned, they're really special cases that do not involve states with sovereignty, geopolitical matters and foreign relations/image.

Not only Cyprus which is possibly a Middle Eastern state ( a very small and irelevant one too) managed to join the EU, but it also almost managed to bring it down to its knees lol. The enlargement of the EU in the 90s was so sloppy and poorly thought-out it seems.

With Cardiff and Monaco I was referring to the fact that if they were playing in their own league then there wouldn't be any competition. They would win every match they ever play basically. So it makes more sense for them to join the French league, which they are close to geographically and culturally, for example and play against teams of similar quality. I am not saying it should always be like that but in some cases it makes more sense. Similarly it makes more sense for a team which is one of European history's top teams and almost on NBA level to play in Europe against teams of similar quality like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Olympiakos etc. In Asia, half of the matches they would win on walk over and the other ones they would humiliate them completely I would assume.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hiddai

I notice that most major newspapers such as NY times and Washington Post didn't even mention it (yet). If you aren't NBA then you are meaningless to them lol

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BossPerson

@Hiddai: asia is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to different from europe to have such a thing

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hiddai

@BossPerson said:

@Hiddai: asia is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to different from europe to have such a thing

Yup

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GazaAli

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

With Cardiff and Monaco I was referring to the fact that if they were playing in their own league then there wouldn't be any competition. They would win every match they ever play basically. So it makes more sense for them to join the French league, which they are close to geographically and culturally, for example and play against teams of similar quality. I am not saying it should always be like that but in some cases it makes more sense. Similarly it makes more sense for a team which is one of European history's top teams and almost on NBA level to play in Europe against teams of similar quality like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Olympiakos etc. In Asia, half of the matches they would win on walk over and the other ones they would humiliate them completely I would assume.

Assuming that Maccabi Tel-Aviv is that good of a basketball team and assuming that Asia mostly sucks in basketball, I wouldn't say that the main reason why Maccabi Tel-Aviv is being allowed to compete in a European league is because its a strong team that needs the proper league to compete in owing to the fact that Israel is absolutely geographically irrelevant to Europe and that it has neither a cultural nor a historical connection with any European country. But the stuff you mentioned about both Cardiff and Monaco is interesting, I admit I did not know of it.

It would be complete anarchy and a breakdown of the world's sports system if clubs started to choose in which league they should be allowed to compete because of their level of skill.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hiddai

It's Interesting. Maybe we need to cancel the continents leagues and stay only with the world cups. Or at least an EU league (instead of euroleague) because there are apparently blurred lines in that matter...

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 themajormayor

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

Assuming that Maccabi Tel-Aviv is that good of a basketball team and assuming that Asia mostly sucks in basketball, I wouldn't say that the main reason why Maccabi Tel-Aviv is being allowed to compete in a European league is because its a strong team that needs the proper league to compete in owing to the fact that Israel is absolutely geographically irrelevant to Europe and that it has neither a cultural nor a historical connection with any European country. But the stuff you mentioned about both Cardiff and Monaco is interesting, I admit I did not know of it.

It would be complete anarchy and a breakdown of the world's sports system if clubs started to choose in which league they should be allowed to compete because of their level of skill.

I must admit that I just assumed that Asia sucks in basketball. But Maccabi Tel Aviv is really one of the best European teams historically. Maybe even the best. I don't think it's the major reason either but it could be a contributing factor. Seriously if they would join the Asia league they might just abolish the competition since we know who will win every year (I assume). Even in football they were dominating Asia at the time that they played there and Israel is not as good in football as they are in basketball.

I don't understand this. I would expect you to say that Israel is some kind of European outpost in the Middle East.

Yes I agree to 99%. But in some extreme cases such as Monaco it makes more sense for them to not play in the Monacan "league".

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BossPerson

@Hiddai: or we could just leave it as it is and let countries like israel and cyprus be the exception to the rule

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Didn't know Isreali teams competed in European league.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GazaAli

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli said:

I must admit that I just assumed that Asia sucks in basketball. But Maccabi Tel Aviv is really one of the best European teams historically. Maybe even the best. I don't think it's the major reason either but it could be a contributing factor. Seriously if they would join the Asia league they might just abolish the competition since we know who will win every year (I assume). Even in football they were dominating Asia at the time that they played there and Israel is not as good in football as they are in basketball.

I don't understand this. I would expect you to say that Israel is some kind of European outpost in the Middle East.

Yes I agree to 99%. But in some extreme cases such as Monaco it makes more sense for them to not play in the Monacan "league".

As I said I don't have enough information on the state of Asian basketball, although its statistically impossible for the same team to dominate exclusively over an extended period of time. Also, I'm not sure that Israel would come any close to dominating Asian football.

I don't believe that Israel is a European outpost per say. But again I don't believe that Israel is a Middle Eastern state either. Basically, Israel is a tiny toddler state in the middle of a region whom states share the same language, the same religion, and the same history and mostly the same ethnicity generally speaking. Israel on the other hand contrasts the entire region in all of these attributes. Furthermore, the Israeli society is highly heterogeneous. Some Israelis are of African descent, others are of Arabic descent and some others of European descent. And even within this dichotomy you will find numerous subdivisions. For example Israeli European-descendants have numerous lineages or ancestries : German, French, English, Slavic...etc. So in a nutshell, Israel belongs nowhere. Europe just screwed when it didn't allow them to integrate into European societies. You might think that I hold this view of Israel the state because of the enmity I have towards it, which is something I believe to be wrong. What I'm trying to say is that this is a largely objective view of reality.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

major is the only person in europe to have heard about this. plus Israelis (aka american NBA rejects). maybe the real madrid players, aswell- unless they were too distraught about atletico winning la liga.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pie-junior

STOP EXPORTING YOUR GIANT BLACK PEOPLE TO US AMERICA (that is if someone from america still uses this site)

It's unnecessary for such a trivial sport, and it's making me feel inadequate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
@Hiddai said:

I notice that most major newspapers such as NY times and Washington Post didn't even mention it (yet). If you aren't NBA then you are meaningless to them lol

Duh? No one gives a shit about the EuroLeague. It's the place of washed up NBA stars and players just not good enough to play in the NBA.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pie-junior

@GazaAli said:

I don't believe that Israel is a European outpost per say. But again I don't believe that Israel is a Middle Eastern state either.

You might think that I hold this view of Israel the state because of the enmity I have towards it, which is something I believe to be wrong. What I'm trying to say is that this is a largely objective view of reality.

enmity?

Not being a middle-eastern state suggests not being in a state of perpetual abject failure. that's -like- a compliment.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GazaAli

@pie-junior said:

enmity?

Not being a middle-eastern state suggests not being in a state of perpetual abject failure. that's -like- a compliment.

Yes enmity. Would you have me use antagonism instead? Animosity?

Middle Eastern states haven't been in a state of "perpetual abject failure" since the beginning of history. That's kind of shortsighted. States ascend and descend, civilizations come into being then cease to be its just how history works.
In any case, your sassy remark has no substance pertaining to the subject matter whatsoever.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pie-junior

@GazaAli said:

In any case, your sassy remark has no substance pertaining to the subject matter whatsoever.

my sass cannot be contained to the narrow perimeters of european basketball talk

It must be let free to patronise brown people from malfunctioning societies

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38672 Posts

@Hiddai said:

no, just to their readers.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GazaAli

@pie-junior said:

@GazaAli said:

my sass cannot be contained to the narrow perimeters of european basketball talk

It must be let free to patronise brown people from malfunctioning societies

If you think your sass is capable of patronizing me then you're wrong. Also, you would be falling behind quite much.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pie-junior

oh my sass is definitely being at least a little condescending.

Also, you would be falling behind quite much.

what

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pie-junior

forgot that new quote system is retardedasinine not a bro bad

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GazaAli

@pie-junior said:

Actually no, not in the slightest.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BossPerson

pie/ western logic:

>**** your country up

>laugh at your country for being fucked up

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pie-junior

@GazaAli said:

@pie-junior said:

Actually no, not in the slightest.

you don't get to tell my sass what it is

It's its own person, and it don't need no validation from you

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GazaAli

Confirmed: Pie is guilty of PUI

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pie-junior

@BossPerson said:

pie/ western logic:

>**** your country up

but

he doesn't even have a country

:3

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BossPerson

@pie-junior said:

@BossPerson said:

pie/ western logic:

>**** your country up

but

you're on a roll

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BossPerson

btw, Pie, how the **** is Victoria Day a thing here, but not in the UK?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GazaAli

@pie-junior said:

but

I never thought you were the kind of a guy that would get that butthurt :3

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pie-junior

@BossPerson said:

mommy issues?

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pie-junior

@GazaAli said:

@pie-junior said:

but

I never thought you were the kind of a guy that would get that butthurt :3

that's not a butt at the end.

It's -like- a deformed cat thing

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BossPerson

i second the PUI charge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@BossPerson said:

Don't ask questions m8, we have a day off \o/

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pie-junior

@Aljosa23 said:

@BossPerson said:

This is a colonial that knows what appreciation is

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pie-junior

@BossPerson said:

i second the PUI charge

pfft

If you thing I get off this early, you're in for a rude awakening after law school

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@pie-junior said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@BossPerson said:

This is a colonial that knows what appreciation is

Why couldn't you embed my countrymen with a love for football? You did it for all of your other subjects

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BossPerson

@Aljosa23 said:

@BossPerson said:

just weird. I feel like we're celebrating a party nobody gives a shit about

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BossPerson

@pie-junior said:

@BossPerson said:

i second the PUI charge

pfft

If you thing I get off this early, you're in for a rude awakening after law school

well i hardly even drink to begin with, so that's one thing i won't really be sacrificing