This topic is locked from further discussion.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts

The other night on G4 they were showing a championship gaming tournament, so I decided to watch it. What a mistake.

They played Forza 2, Counter Strike, Fifa, and Dead or Alive 4. I have 1 question: what is the point of watching someone play a video game?

1. Why would I want to watch someone pretend to drive a car when I could turn on my xbox and do it myself, or better yet, watch someone drive a REAL car?

2. Why would I want to watch someone pretend to play soccer, when I can go play it in real life, or watch someone REALLY play it.

I don't see where 'MLG' can go with this. Who is actually gonna spend the time to watch people play video games? They even called the gamers there "athletes". That is a disgrace. I'll admit, they were pretty good at the games they played, but my God, they're not athletes.

Here's the point: Could someone tell me why I should care about MLG over NFL, NBA, or MLS? Personally, golf is more exciting, because golf is a hard sport to play, and it's impressive what those guys do. All I need is a little clarification.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
True dat. lol. You are absolutely right, video games are not sports and professional gamers are not athletes.
Avatar image for Mythbuster4ever
Mythbuster4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Mythbuster4ever
Member since 2007 • 2846 Posts
People are stupid. Eventually, they will wise up, and MLGers will be out of a job. Which is why video game playing should never be a carer option (except development or playtesting)
DJ_Novakain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DJ_Novakain
Member since 2008 • 2147 Posts
Why would I watch someone play any sport, when I could be playing it...
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

People are stupid. Eventually, they will wise up, and MLGers will be out of a job. Which is why video game playing should never be a carer option (except development or playtesting) Mythbuster4ever

I'm kind of on the fence on this issue. I would like to see gaming grow as an art form, much like film has. On the other hand, gaming is more of an individualized experience that can't be viewed in the same light.

Competitive gaming may have a bright future, but not the way MLG is advertising it.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

I once laughed like crazy when some dude called MLG a "sport".

MLG...is....who cares...... All i know is that its miles away from being called a sport.

Avatar image for Mythbuster4ever
Mythbuster4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mythbuster4ever
Member since 2007 • 2846 Posts

[QUOTE="Mythbuster4ever"]People are stupid. Eventually, they will wise up, and MLGers will be out of a job. Which is why video game playing should never be a carer option (except development or playtesting) Boba_Fett_3710

I'm kind of on the fence on this issue. I would like to see gaming grow as an art form, much like film has. On the other hand, gaming is more of an individualized experience that can't be viewed in the same light.

Competitive gaming may have a bright future, but not the way MLG is advertising it.

MLG is basicly something nerds who play halo for 8 hours a day use in an attempt to justify their actions.

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

Why would I watch someone play any sport, when I could be playing it...DJ_Novakain

Yeah, seriously TC, did you think about this at all? You can say the same thing...

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
People are stupid. Eventually, they will wise up, and MLGers will be out of a job. Which is why video game playing should never be a carer option (except development or playtesting) Mythbuster4ever

Starcraft says Hi. Its a sport and the players are famous in Korea.
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 taj7575

[QUOTE="Mythbuster4ever"]People are stupid. Eventually, they will wise up, and MLGers will be out of a job. Which is why video game playing should never be a carer option (except development or playtesting) EVOLV3

Starcraft also says I will eat your soul.

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

[QUOTE="Mythbuster4ever"]People are stupid. Eventually, they will wise up, and MLGers will be out of a job. Which is why video game playing should never be a carer option (except development or playtesting) EVOLV3

Big deal, Criket, Rugby and Soccer (Futbol) are popular in Europe. That doesn't mean anything to the states.

Besides, I doubt gaming will be anything aside from a "rougue" activity at least for another 15 year.

biBLioTek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 biBLioTek
Member since 2004 • 1531 Posts
*looks at his fatality headset*.... IM ONE OF THEM!! GAAAAHHHH! jk, but seriously, its just lame unless youre into that game. watched the wow arena turneys and they were pretty cool, considered i learned some awesome tricks. but would never watch them for entertainment! i PLAY for entertainment!
honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#13 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts
I agree. I dont want to watch people play a videogame, I want to play my damn games. All the people who call themselves "MLG" on Xbox Live are freakin annoying too.
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
I dont mind watching gaming tournements on like gears of war or thing.. specially here on gamespot.
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
I like watching that stuff occasionally to see how other people play games differently. Other than that, no I don't consider it a sport. The one thing I think should never be a spectator sport is poker.
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
Why so serious?
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#17 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
*sigh* Im highly suprised no one made this thread earlier I didn even bother to watch I mean not only is it ridiculous but every episode is an hour and half. Its like upgraded arena.....but more serious with a bigger prize..so it is better than arena.
DabsTight703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 DabsTight703
Member since 2008 • 1966 Posts
I'd watch gaming tournaments. In fact, I used to play CAL CS1.6 and got to CAL-IM. It was fun while it lasted and my clan (whom are real life friends) got really into it. To the point where we would be playing 9+ hours a day just going over strategies. I think if you were to be involved in ANYTHING with that much determination, it will be fun. Otherwise, you wouldn't be determined to begin with therefore you wouldn't find it fun. Yes, you can call gaming a "sport". Why do people feel the need to bash gaming just because they are trying to call it a sport? It's almost as if they offended you by calling gaming a sport. It's you people that are getting offended that needs a life. I am not into the whole gaming-league anymore but I sure miss those days when I was.
ColdRush88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ColdRush88
Member since 2008 • 1192 Posts
I've always been against and hated the MLG. Gaming is not a sport. Not in the slightest. There is no pleasure to be found in watching other people playing a game. The real fun is in playing it yourself. These "pro gamers" are not athletes. In fact I have pity for those people that are part of MLG and call themselves "pro gamers". Get a proper job!
ZarMulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZarMulix
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts
Well I think it's pretty cool that gaming is catching on. Whether it's a sport or not, you can't just say it's stupid for being called one when many other activities are watched and endorsed by many such as racing, bowling, pool, fencing, etc. These activities are hardly sports yet tournaments exist, and the level of finesse that the players exhibit in these things are appreciated by those who follow them, and gaming shouldn't be exempt from this in any way.
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts

The other night on G4 they were showing a championship gaming tournament, so I decided to watch it. What a mistake.

They played Forza 2, Counter Strike, Fifa, and Dead or Alive 4. I have 1 question: what is the point of watching someone play a video game?

1. Why would I want to watch someone pretend to drive a car when I could turn on my xbox and do it myself, or better yet, watch someone drive a REAL car?

2. Why would I want to watch someone pretend to play soccer, when I can go play it in real life, or watch someone REALLY play it.

I don't see where 'MLG' can go with this. Who is actually gonna spend the time to watch people play video games? They even called the gamers there "athletes". That is a disgrace. I'll admit, they were pretty good at the games they played, but my God, they're not athletes.

Here's the point: Could someone tell me why I should care about MLG over NFL, NBA, or MLS? Personally, golf is more exciting, because golf is a hard sport to play, and it's impressive what those guys do. All I need is a little clarification.

mohfrontline

^^^^^

agreed, especially on golf. That's one sport that I don't think I'll ever be able to play and it'so hard I don't know how people can become so good at it. I see Hole-in-One and go WTF! I'm not a golf fan though

Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
But in real life you can't do all the stuff from DOA4 :o
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
I've been playing games for about 19 years and I have absolutely no problem with gaming tournaments and that kind of stuff, but I HATE it when they try to put it on tv. It just doesn't translate well to tv and it's not interesting to watch unless you actually participated in the tournament.
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 taj7575

Well I think it's pretty cool that gaming is catching on. Whether it's a sport or not, you can't just say it's stupid for being called one when many other activities are watched and endorsed by many such as racing, bowling, pool, fencing, etc. These activities are hardly sports yet tournaments exist, and the level of finesse that the players exhibit in these things are appreciated by those who follow them, and gaming shouldn't be exempt from this in any way.ZarMulix

racing, bowling, pool, fencing, all take skill and years of training.

MLG? ehh. not so much.

ZarMulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZarMulix
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

[QUOTE="ZarMulix"]Well I think it's pretty cool that gaming is catching on. Whether it's a sport or not, you can't just say it's stupid for being called one when many other activities are watched and endorsed by many such as racing, bowling, pool, fencing, etc. These activities are hardly sports yet tournaments exist, and the level of finesse that the players exhibit in these things are appreciated by those who follow them, and gaming shouldn't be exempt from this in any way.taj7575

racing, bowling, pool, fencing, all take skill and years of training.

MLG? ehh. not so much.

Well gaming also takes skill, and in the multiplayer based games that are supported by the MLG, intelligence and teamwork also plays a part. Much of the trash talk I've heard online is about these people having no lives and just playing all day, but isn't that the same any athlete devoting his time to perfecting his skills and enjoying the game?

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
Nobody is forcing you to watch it...
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

I've always been against and hated the MLG. Gaming is not a sport. Not in the slightest. There is no pleasure to be found in watching other people playing a game. The real fun is in playing it yourself. These "pro gamers" are not athletes. In fact I have pity for those people that are part of MLG and call themselves "pro gamers". Get a proper job!ColdRush88

Again, StarCraft says, "Hi!"

And a "proper job"?! Who the **** is to say that gaming can't be a "proper job"?

DabsTight703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 DabsTight703
Member since 2008 • 1966 Posts

[QUOTE="ColdRush88"]I've always been against and hated the MLG. Gaming is not a sport. Not in the slightest. There is no pleasure to be found in watching other people playing a game. The real fun is in playing it yourself. These "pro gamers" are not athletes. In fact I have pity for those people that are part of MLG and call themselves "pro gamers". Get a proper job!Forerunner-117

Again, StarCraft says, "Hi!"

And a "proper job"?! Who the **** is to say that gaming can't be a "proper job"?

Seriously. If I can live off of playing video-games all day, I'd do it. I love how he speaks about "proper jobs" as if people are of more importance if they work "better jobs". It's people like this that make me sick.

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

I've always been against and hated the MLG. Gaming is not a sport. Not in the slightest. There is no pleasure to be found in watching other people playing a game. The real fun is in playing it yourself. These "pro gamers" are not athletes. In fact I have pity for those people that are part of MLG and call themselves "pro gamers". Get a proper job!ColdRush88

So by your logic, things like football and baseball are not sports either. That's pretty strange.

Xyphereos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xyphereos
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
I am here to support MLG (and to the first poster what you saw on tv was NOT MLG, it is a competitor to MLG). 1st. Gaming can be considered a sport for several reasons 1. It requires hand eye coordination 2. It requires one to think make split second decisions 3. There are teams 4. The games require strategy and team work. And to all of you who think that the pros on the MLG circuit only game for a living, you are sadly mistaken. The majority of the have main jobs, which is the main reason why these games are played on the weekend.
master207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 master207
Member since 2007 • 203 Posts
cause its cheap fun and some people like to watch for tips or the heck of it to see a good person they do good at
coolseth123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 coolseth123
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts
Whats so bad about MLG, some games do take alot of skill, and practicing a game to get better at it is no different then practicing a sport to get better at it.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

I once laughed like crazy when some dude called MLG a "sport".

MLG...is....who cares...... All i know is that its miles away from being called a sport.

taj7575

It is a sport...........

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
I don't know. I find it incredibly bizarre that anyone would watch someone playing a game...then again I think it's equally bizarre to watch someone play poker...yet they do.
GiveMeIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 GiveMeIce
Member since 2007 • 496 Posts

Yea that's CGS, whenever it's on I like watching the CS matches, the rest are stupid.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I only watch it for CS.
albi321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 albi321
Member since 2007 • 1552 Posts
Totally agree, MLG is really stupid. I don't understand how those Koreans can stand those Starcraft tournaments that are broadcast on like 6 channels.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Totally agree, MLG is really stupid. I don't understand how those Koreans can stand those Starcraft tournaments that are broadcast on like 6 channels.albi321

Man, what a great quote in your sig.

That guy is really smart :lol:

Decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Decko5
Member since 2004 • 9428 Posts

they have leagues for everything though so this one just happens to be popular, however not a sport