Low-Wage Workers Are Effectively Slaves

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@Barbariser said:

@huggybear1020 said:

My point is that opportunity is there for people who take it. I never allowed my background to determine who I was going to be. Most people I grew up are either in prison or living paycheck to paycheck because they're too busy drinking and partying to get any sort of education or self-improvement. I vowed never to fall into the trap of doing something just because everyone around me was doing it, and am all the better for it today. I know it's hard to understand for someone who didn't come from my situation, but it is what it is.

Assuming your special snowflake anecdote is actually true, that still doesn't change the fact that your country (I'm assuming you're American) should at least have done its best to provide you with enough food to prevent you from actually starving to death. Even if you turned out like the vast majority of Americans born to the lowest income group (hint: they generally stay there) instead of being a wonderful rags to riches success story. Maybe you thrived in spite of your disadvantageous background, but chances are you and the country would have been better off if your family hadn't been in that situation.

Of course the entire country would benefit from eliminating poverty. Hell, the world would benefit from that.

However the only reason the poor stay poor, is a lack of effort and forethought.

Is that why poor people stay poor?

gotta admit i was always real curious. But it turns out the root cause is that they just want to be poor.

glad someone can simplify it, for everyone. Turns out if you ask poor people if they want to be rich, they say no. Because apparently poor people love starvation.

Nice strawman.

nice word you just learned but incorrectly used. Keep it up i heard you pulled yourself up by the bootstraps, though never quite learned what strawman means.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

@Barbariser said:

@huggybear1020 said:

My point is that opportunity is there for people who take it. I never allowed my background to determine who I was going to be. Most people I grew up are either in prison or living paycheck to paycheck because they're too busy drinking and partying to get any sort of education or self-improvement. I vowed never to fall into the trap of doing something just because everyone around me was doing it, and am all the better for it today. I know it's hard to understand for someone who didn't come from my situation, but it is what it is.

Assuming your special snowflake anecdote is actually true, that still doesn't change the fact that your country (I'm assuming you're American) should at least have done its best to provide you with enough food to prevent you from actually starving to death. Even if you turned out like the vast majority of Americans born to the lowest income group (hint: they generally stay there) instead of being a wonderful rags to riches success story. Maybe you thrived in spite of your disadvantageous background, but chances are you and the country would have been better off if your family hadn't been in that situation.

If poor people are starving they are not using their food stamps wisely. Get food stamps and buy junk food with soda and complain lol.

And if so many are starving why is the US the so called fattest on earth? It's all BS!! You don't see sickly people down to nothing but bones. The poor eat more than the the rich..truth/fact

Meanwhile back in reality fatty, junk food is cheap and healthy "real" food is expensive. Its a topsy turvy world we live in and most people I know who are pushing the boundaries of wealth are spending a pretty enviable amount of money on looking like they're "nothing but bones" (and then even more to get them motivated to do some gym shit to put muscle on said bones).

I think Barbariser hit the nail on the head though, at least in passing. The real problem isn't "low wage workers being slaves" its there's very little upward mobility in the system. People glorify hard work and all that and yeah it's super important but no one should pretend it's the only factor. There is a LOT of being in the right place at the right time (aka luck) and even more social connections involved if you want to even go from middle classed up. Going from poverty? You've got to dodge about a thousand things that could ruin your life before anyone even considers you an adult to have a hope in hell. All that's WITH the systems in place that are designed to make it easier for Joe Blow to have a hope.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#103 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@Barbariser said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Of course the entire country would benefit from eliminating poverty. Hell, the world would benefit from that.

However the only reason the poor stay poor, is a lack of effort and forethought.

So why does the U.S. have such a low social mobility when it has some of the hardest working people in the developed world? Canada, Australia, Scandinavia, Germany, New Zealand .etc all have more poor people moving up in proportion when compared to the U.S.,. Their minimum wages are much higher and their working hours and productivity per worker are generally a lot lower. China, which has some of the longest working hours and worst working conditions in the industrialized world, also has the second worst social mobility in the study. "Only reason", huh?.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@leviathan91: Probably because you think it's easy for a low-wage worker to do all that. As if fixing their situation is as easy as turning on a light switch. It gets even harder if they have a family to care of. Obviously they are different than a slave but don't pretend like someone near the poverty line is living in paradise or is significantly better off.

inb4 pull up boot straps or other conservative catch phrases

Al......it's not either/or nor is it black and white. It's a bit of a mix. One does have to actually work to make something more of themselves. No it's not easy and won't be handed to you just because. But it's also not impossible if one is willing to do what it takes. Problem is too many people think like you do and don't try.

And frankly....it is easier to apply for assistance than try to make a go of it. Kudos to those that do better themselves. They have my respect.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@BeardMaster: lol keep on trolling.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Nibroc420

@Ace6301: "junk food is cheap and healthy "real" food is expensive. "

Why do people perpetuate such nonsense? It's been studied time and time again; junk food is always more expensive. Although buying heathly food costs less, it takes more time to prepare.

Junk food = fast, high calories and low nutrition. Though often made without much protein or fibre, so you don't remain full as long.

Homemade healthy food = cheap, takes longer to prepare, keeps you feeling full longer.

But, alas, this is OT. Can't expect people to be well informed,

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#107 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

@leviathan91: They cannot quit, they need the job; they may be creating a risk if they quit.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

Why do people perpetuate such nonsense? It's been studied time and time again; junk food is always more expensive. Although buying heathly food costs less, it takes more time to prepare.

Junk food = fast, high calories and low nutrition. Though often made without much protein or fibre, so you don't remain full as long.

Homemade healthy food = cheap, takes longer to prepare, keeps you feeling full longer.

Completely agree. While you can get a lot of calories for cheap from $1 burgers and such...you can absolutely eat extremely cheaply and very healthy at the same time. The idea that poor people have to eat junk due to cost is a myth and simply excuse making.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

So, if the employees are essentially slaves. does that make the employers effectively slave masters, in your opinion?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Nibroc420

@Barbariser said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@Barbariser said:

@huggybear1020 said:

So why does the U.S. have such a low social mobility when it has some of the hardest working people in the developed world? Canada, Australia, Scandinavia, Germany, New Zealand .etc all have more poor people moving up in proportion when compared to the U.S.,. Their minimum wages are much higher and their working hours and productivity per worker are generally a lot lower. China, which has some of the longest working hours and worst working conditions in the industrialized world, also has the second worst social mobility in the study. "Only reason", huh?.

Ahaha you're using a blog as a source?

Hold on and let me find a extreme-right wing blog that counters your arguement.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

'Low-wage' workers in first world countries would be upper-middle class in third world countries. Complaining you need comforts like an HDTV are first world problems.

It's all relative.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Nibroc420

@KC_Hokie said:

'Low-wage' workers in first world countries would be upper-middle class in third world countries. Complaining you need comforts like an HDTV are first world problems.

It's all relative.

Well, we've managed to label "internet access" as a basic human right.
HDTV's aren't far off.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Ace6301

@Nibroc420 said:

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/12/06/a-healthy-diet-costs-2000-a-year-more-than-an-unhealthy-one-for-average-family-of-four-harvard-study/

So while you're wrong on the price thing you are right on the time it takes to prepare. Which is actually just another strike against the poor. Not only is it more expensive to eat healthy but it takes time to prepare. You can't really support the "You just aren't working hard enough" rhetoric and then turn around and say they should be taking the sort of time required to prepare something healthy when they can cook up something cheap, easy and unhealthy.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Nibroc420

@Ace6301 said:

@Nibroc420 said:

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/12/06/a-healthy-diet-costs-2000-a-year-more-than-an-unhealthy-one-for-average-family-of-four-harvard-study/

So while you're wrong on the price thing you are right on the time it takes to prepare. Which is actually just another strike against the poor.

I can post blogs too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-harlan-md/health-food-prices_b_862770.html

If someone doesn't want to spend their time making a cheaper, healthier meal, and would rather gorge themselves on the MCDonalds value menu, that's their choice.

However is is cheaper to eat healthy.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By KC_Hokie

@Nibroc420 said:

@KC_Hokie said:

It's all relative.

Well, we've managed to label "internet access" as a basic human right.

HDTV's aren't far off.

Yea which is my point. In third world countries the lower class live on like $1 per day.

In first world countries the lower class are 'entitled' to internet, computers, cell phones, microwaves, etc., etc. and a minimum income set by some bureaucrat in DC.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Ace6301

@Nibroc420 said:

@Ace6301 said:

@Nibroc420 said:

So while you're wrong on the price thing you are right on the time it takes to prepare. Which is actually just another strike against the poor.

I can post blogs too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-harlan-md/health-food-prices_b_862770.html

If someone doesn't want to spend their time making a cheaper, healthier meal, and would rather gorge themselves on the MCDonalds value menu, that's their choice.

However is is cheaper to eat healthy.

Those damned Harvard research papers. Someone should tell them they're comparable to blogs (Also someone should tell the National Post that they're just a blog now and not staffed by journalists)! Dudes also assuming everyone already owns a full array of cooking appliances, utensils, time to cook, and the skills to cook well (which is an expensive skill to acquire). Yeah I'm going to go with Harvard on this.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Nibroc420

@Ace6301 said:

You can't really support the "You just aren't working hard enough" rhetoric and then turn around and say they should be taking the sort of time required to prepare something healthy when they can cook up something cheap, easy and unhealthy.

I suppose you're just misunderstanding the situation.

1.) It's entirely possible to work a full time job, and go to school for skills which will later allow you to find a better paying job (hopefully one you enjoy as well)
However, it's hard work. I'm talking 6-7 hours of sleep, and very little downtime to game/watch movies etc.

2.) The only real arguement for "Fast food is cheaper" is on a Calories/$ ratio, which isn't the correct way to look at things. Sure, a $1 cheeseburger might have 300 calories, but it has no nutritional value and is made with little to no fiber or protein (hurray for meat fillers and pink slime!), meaning your $1 cheeseburger might have more calories, but $1 in whole grain rice would make you feel "full" for twice as long.

For the cost of a meal at Mcdonalds ($10), one can buy all sorts of vegetables, rice, beans, and maybe even some meat if it's on sale.Again, it takes time to prepare, and thus some effort is required, but it is possible.

3.) I'm not responsible for how much effort someone wants to put into their life.
If they think it's "easier" to not get a degree, or to learn a trade, so be it. If they feel it's "easier" to buy a cheeseburger after work, rather than spending 5-10 minutes preparing a meal, again that's their choice.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Nibroc420

@Ace6301 said:

Dudes also assuming everyone already owns a full array of cooking appliances, utensils, time to cook, and the skills to cook well (which is an expensive skill to acquire). Yeah I'm going to go with Harvard on this.

Cooking Appliances - I've never rented an appartment/house that did not have a stove/fridge.

Utensils - Not everyone has silver spoons like you do. I bought a knife/fork/spoon all for $1, want 5 of each? $5. So pricey i dont know how i afforded it.

Time to cook - It takes 1-2 minutes to season a chicken breast, put it into an oven, and set the timer. While waiting for it to cook, cut up those veggies you bought for less than $4, and when you're done making a salad, your chicken is pretty much cooked.

Skills to cook - This is a joke right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LOL nibroc LOL

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Ace6301

@Aljosa23 said:

LOL nibroc LOL

Harvards just a blog bro.

"Utensils - Not everyone has silver spoons like you do"

That cut pretty deep though. Those only get used for special occasions mind you. The first set that is. The second one gets used a bit more often.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

This was a pretty good thread all things considered

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Nibroc420

@Aljosa23 said:

LOL nibroc LOL

LOL

2 minutes is too long to cook healthy food, I'd rather eat pink slime at Mcdonalds.

LOL

Going to school is too difficult, I'll just watch TV instead

~~~~~~~~~~~

Why am I fat, and working minimum wage? Ahh, it must be because I'm poor.

LOL

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 dave123321

Just ignore aljosa, nibroc

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Nibroc420

@dave123321 said:

Just ignore aljosa, nibroc

Yeah i try to ignore the trolls.

Sometimes it's fun to respond though :P

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By dave123321

That's true

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

LOL @ people thinking poor people are poor because they're lazy, that has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen all week

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 KC_Hokie

@deeliman said:

LOL @ people thinking poor people are poor because they're lazy, that has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen all week

I've read through most of the comments in this thread and don't think anyone said that.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@KC_Hokie said:

@deeliman said:

I've read through most of the comments in this thread and don't think anyone said that.

It was mostly nibroc

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

LOL nibroc LOL

LOL

2 minutes is too long to cook healthy food, I'd rather eat pink slime at Mcdonalds.

LOL

Going to school is too difficult, I'll just watch TV instead

~~~~~~~~~~~

Why am I fat, and working minimum wage? Ahh, it must be because I'm poor.

LOL

This is exactly what it comes down to for both.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#130 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@Barbariser said:

@Nibroc420 said:

@Barbariser said:

@huggybear1020 said:

Ahaha you're using a blog as a source?

Hold on and let me find a extreme-right wing blog that counters your arguement.

Yes because a blog by a professional economist whose research focuses on social mobility, who shows no proof of partisan bias and who provides a half dozen links showing you the sources for the graph (which itself was created by another professional economist who is also an Ivy school grad, and is the only thing here that is actually important) is clearly the leftist equivalent of an "extreme right wing blog".

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Ye it is easily to say go get a decree in something, you have to pay for that decree by going into debt, which is a huge risk. It is bullshit that you have to pay for education, the system is set up like that, ye you can self educate yourself but if your not wiling to go into debt for a sheet of paper that says you can do something then you won't be able to do anything with it since the system is set up like that. Even after all that time and money you spent getting the decree, your not gaunteed a job, your competing with other people who have the same decree. Even then you might find out you don't even like what you studied your degree in ,your going be miserable at your job. I don't count success in money, but how good of a person you are and how happy you are.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Work for the worst possible wages available or live destitute. It's not chattel slavery but it's certainly not freedom.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Liberals... the army of victims.

If you have a victim mentality than nothing I or anyone can say will make you successful.

Now hurry up and get me my fries.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@FragTycoon:

The other side plays the victim game too. The "Everyone's out to get my money" kind of whining.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Nibroc420

@ultimate-k: yeah, all schooling should be free.

f*** the people teaching the classes, they don't need to feed themselves or pay rent.

You're totally right, they're complete jerks for not guaranteeing their students a job at someone else's company.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

@ultimate-k: yeah, all schooling should be free.

f*** the people teaching the classes, they don't need to feed themselves or pay rent.

You're totally right, they're complete jerks for not guaranteeing their students a job at someone else's company.

Regardless of outcome, someone is bound to get f*cked. The question is who and how much.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Nibroc420

@thebest31406: or, oh, I don't know... Put some effort into getting as skill someone will pay more than minimum wage for.

F*** around here a simple 2 week forklift course pits you $7 above minimum wage.

"Ohh but it's so hard to go learn a skill"

"Oh but then I won't have as much free time"

This generation is full of self entitled idiots(mostly)

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@one_plum said:

@FragTycoon:

The other side plays the victim game too. The "Everyone's out to get my money" kind of whining.

It gets worse and more trivial than that, unfortunately. I can't get through this season without hearing about how the war on Christmas is persecuting evangelicals, for instance. Nor can I get through a week without hearing about how the left wing media is drowning out the conservative voices in America.

Of course, on the flip side you hear similar complaints from the more left wing crowd: They've taken to using the term "corporate media", for example.

Everyone ends up playing the victim card because it's so effective.

chriswolves1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 chriswolves1
Member since 2004 • 211 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

Technically it's not slavery since the workers willingly applied for the job and can quit at any time. A true slave is forced to work and is punished if they refuse to work, and, of course, they don't get paid shit. Although I would like a minimum wage that could support one person comfortably, say $15-20 an hour, the prices of everything would go up. Your Big Mac combo meal would cost $15 instead of $7.

And this is why I do not support increasing minimum wage. Who does it hurt? The middle class. Do I get a $7 raise when minimum wage goes up? No, they would just be making closer to what I do, so, prices for goods & services go up and that means I get hurt. You know what drives up wages? Demand for workers... right now companies can pick to fill one position with 1000 applicants. They can pay lower wages because of this. Back when things were booming, companies had to entice quality workers with more compensation & benefits. Not anymore.

EterPr0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#140  Edited By EterPr0x
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

12 Years A Low Wage Worker

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Ace6301

@mattbbpl said:

@one_plum said:

@FragTycoon:

It gets worse and more trivial than that, unfortunately. I can't get through this season without hearing about how the war on Christmas is persecuting evangelicals, for instance. Nor can I get through a week without hearing about how the left wing media is drowning out the conservative voices in America.

Of course, on the flip side you hear similar complaints from the more left wing crowd: They've taken to using the term "corporate media", for example.

Everyone ends up playing the victim card because it's so effective.

I dunno if corporate media gets complained about so much because it sides against "the worker" and such as much as it does because it fucking sucks at journalism in favour of felating celebrities. Maybe I'm on the wrong websites.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Nibroc is dumb

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points