Lords of Shadow ripped off by Dracula Untold

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Trailer

Lords of shadow 2 trailer

So what do you guys think about this? I find it to be quite the sacrilege. Lords of Shadow is my favorite video game trilogy and to see it ripped off while the game goes underrated pisses me off. I'm not sure but seeing the vast similarities (and I'm talking about the synopsis not just the screenshots) there's a possibility that Konami file a lawsuit against universal pictures.

Wolves? what do they have to do with dracula?
Wolves? what do they have to do with dracula?
The knight in shining armor
The knight in shining armor
Dracula had a son?
Dracula had a son?
Not the nosferatu I remember
Not the nosferatu I remember
emm..ok
emm..ok
Fist pumps! Yeah!
Fist pumps! Yeah!
Bat transformation. I don't recall Bram intending this.
Bat transformation. I don't recall Bram intending this.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Great?

Lords of Shadow ripped off Shadow of the Colossus and God of War.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Umm...isn't Dracula public domain? Write Dracula shit if you want, no one can stop you and you don't have to pay any licensing fees to anyone.

Having said that, that doesn't completely erase the possibility of copyright infringement, but most of your complaints seem to be standard genre stuff. Wolves and bats (Konami didn't invent this), spooky castles (Konami didn't invent this), invading armies (Konami didn't invent this), and similar costume designs and photographic/video compositions (Konami did not invent this). If anything, all this shows is that the movie is cliche as shit, which isn't grounds for a lawsuit seeing as how Castlevania is cliche as shit too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By foxhound_fox

@MrGeezer said:

Umm...isn't Dracula public domain? Write Dracula shit if you want, no one can stop you and you don't have to pay any licensing fees to anyone.

Having said that, that doesn't completely erase the possibility of copyright infringement, but most of your complaints seem to be standard genre stuff. Wolves and bats (Konami didn't invent this), spooky castles (Konami didn't invent this), invading armies (Konami didn't invent this), and similar costume designs and photographic/video compositions (Konami did not invent this). If anything, all this shows is that the movie is cliche as shit, which isn't grounds for a lawsuit seeing as how Castlevania is cliche as shit too.

Should replace Konami with MercurySteam, since Konami merely endorsed what they came up with, regardless of how much like Castlevania it actually was. >_>

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Great?

Shadow of colossus i doubt , God of War and Devil May Cry definately =P

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@indzman said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Great?

It does outright rip-off things from Shadow of the Colossus. And no, not Devil May Cry, because DMC actually has good combat.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@indzman said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Great?

It does outright rip-off things from Shadow of the Colossus. And no, not Devil May Cry, because DMC actually has good combat.

How LOS rips from Shadow of colossus ? Do you mean couple of those titan battles where you have to climb the titans and attack weak points in order to defeat em ? Ahhh , yeah only SOTC colossi battles were pure awesome compared to LOS lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@indzman said:

Yep, LOS2's first few hours are almost a direct ripoff from DMC's story...

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alim298

Holy Hell...

Minor spoilers for lords of shadow

It seems that Baba Yaga is in this movie (says IMDb)... THE HELL???

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@indzman said:

How LOS rips from Shadow of colossus ? Do you mean couple of those titan battles where you have to climb the titans and attack weak points in order to defeat em ? Ahhh , yeah only SOTC colossi battles were pure awesome compared to LOS lol.

LOS doing a crappy job doesn't change where they obviously got inspiration from.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

I don't care if it's ripped-off or not. But it'd better be good. And for all the people saying LoS ripped off GoW,DMC and SOTC. Let me remind you ripping off is a part of the industry. Coming up with something completely new isn't this easy. Yea LoS did pick up some ideas from other games ( titan battles from SoTC, some combat mechanics from GoW and where the heck did DMC come in from??), but it was a good game regardless. So don't bother.

It's been a while since I've played either but..

First few hours of DMC

You play as a seemingly immortal demon who is tasked by someone from your past who you know will betray you in the end to prevent another badass demon from escaping into this world but to do that you need badass weapons so you get transported into a castle from your past that is destroyed now but in that different reality/dimension is still intact, except it's full of lesser demons. Every now and then you see "ghosts" of your brother as a child and eventually you find a blue weapon that allows you to siphon life from your enemies and a red weapon that increases your damage. Then you learn that your enemy is planning on creating an army by using a research facility to invent something that they will put on energy drinks in order to turn humans into demons.

That's just the first hour of 2 of DMC.

First few hours of LOS2

Exact same thing, but with a little difference in weapons. In DMC the blue weapon is a scythe, in LOS2 it's a sword; in DMC the red weapon is an axe, in LOS2 it's gauntlets (although you also get demonic gauntlets in DMC at a point, later on).

Also, in the castle you see your son, not your brother and they're going to use the new chemical compound in the water supply, not energy drinks.

Even the combat is exactly the same, and I don't mean style, I mean the moves and the input for them. For crying out loud, in your very first battle against a mini boss in LOS2 they specifically tell you to try this one move, which just so happens to be Dante's signature move. That was just shameless. (Back when I noticed the similarities I actually found a YT video where they showed some of Dracula's moves matching moves from Nero (Devil May Cry 4) frame by frame so I guess it wasn't just DMC they took it from)

Also, to conclude, I don't care that it was a ripoff from several games, since they took the good part of each of them, but such an extensive copy was a bit disappointing at the beginning, but it then branched out and because it's own game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

TC, now that you're older I think it's time I tell you what your parents couldn't: There's no such thing as an original idea.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alim298

@airshocker said:

There's no such thing as an original idea.

I agree to some extend especially when it comes to dracula. A sensitive passionate dracula who loves to have a family isn't exactly a new idea. But if you have read my last post there's someone among the cast for this movie that I personally never knew of prior to playing LoS. It can't be a coincidence.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@alim298 said:

@airshocker said:

There's no such thing as an original idea.

I agree to some extend especially when it comes to dracula. A sensitive passionate dracula who loves to have a family isn't exactly a new idea. But if you have read my last post there's someone among the cast for this movie that I personally never knew of prior to playing LoS. It can't be a coincidence.

It doesn't matter if it isn't a coincidence. You can write your own Dracula script and try and get it made into a movie, and so long as you don't copy any thing without permission, you'd be golden.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Terminator was a ripoff. Does anyone care?
Avatar? Sexy cat womens? Done in the 80's.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

@geniobastardo said:

Let me remind you ripping off is a part of the industry.

Maybe for second rate developers like MercurySteam.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@geniobastardo said:

Let me remind you ripping off is a part of the industry.

Maybe for second rate developers like MercurySteam.

Valve - 1984/war of the worlds

Naughty Dog - Outright plagiarizing Helen Mirron and Elly Page, Indiana Jones e.t.c.....

Every fantasy game ever - Lord Of The Rings

He's right. Most, good or bad are either "inspired" or outright ripping off stuff.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Before saying that LOS ripped GOW, maybe we should take into consideration that GOW has set the new standard for modern Hack n Slash games. Heavenly Sword and Dante's Inferno follow the same formula and are sick games. Remember when Double Dragon set the standard for beat em ups and spawned hundreds of clone games for generations? Please stop pretending that GOW didn't change the playing field.

Avatar image for righteousviking
RighteousViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By RighteousViking
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Bram Stoker's Dracula, the movie with Gary Oldman and Keanu Reeves has Dracula turning into a wolf creature.

Ottoman Turkish armor of Mustafa III

Dracula did have a son.

Oh my goodness they too had a white guy with dark hair playing Dracula? Whaaaat?!?!

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#24 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@indzman said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Great?

I don't understand why people say that LoS ripped off GoW. GoW ripped off LoI which in turn ripped off DMC, this was literally admitted by the devs (the part about being inspired in LoI and LoI devs being inspired by DMC) so people should really stop saying it ripped off GoW because LoI is older than GoW.

Also they're hack and slash, they aren't precisely known to have original gameplay amongst series. It's a pretty straight formula.

As for what OP says, you're simply drawing too many lines where there shouldn't be any.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

This thread's way past the expiration date.