Looking for superhero (and other) comic recommendations!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29606 posts) -

Been getting more into superhero comics (/comics in general) of late, looking for some recommendations! Particularly interested in superhero ones, but any comic recommendations will do! (note while I like manga a lot, I'm not looking for manga recommendations).

What I've read:

Batman:
The Killing Joke
Year One
The Long Halloween
Hush
The Dark Knight Returns
Arkham Asylum
Dark Victory
Haunted Knight
The Man Who Laughs
Noel

Superman:
Red Son
Kingdom Come
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

Thor (Stracynsky and Gillen ones)
Deadpool & Cable
V for Vendetta
Watchmen
Wanted
Swamp Thing
Fables
The Sandman
Sin City
Y: The Last Man
Irredeemable

Thanks everyone! :)

#2 Posted by Hatiko (4553 posts) -

Invincible and any of the limited series that went with it in the past like Brit, Wolf-Man, Capes, Tech-Jacket, and Guarding the Globe. The second volume of Gurading the Globe is ending with issue 6 next week and then in April we get a new sister series called Invincible Universe to showcase the many other characters (like the one's that had their limited series and such) in their own stories.

#3 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

If you liked Irredeemable, I'd recommend Incorruptible, which is sort of its inversion - it's about a supervillain who turns good: Max Damage/Max Daring - simultaneously the best superhero and the best supervillain ever. He's a total badass.

For Superman comics I'd recommend All-Star Superman.

#4 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

Batman Cacophony - The Joker does make a bit more sexual, scatological, and referential jokes than what most are used to (thanks to Kevin Smith's writing) so you have been warned.
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? by Gaiman
The Books of Magic also by Gaiman
Morrison's Animal Man
Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe
Scott Pilgrim
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Old Man Logan - Sort of like Mad Max/Fallout with Wolverine

#5 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
Most of Alan Moore's work is great - though I'm not really a comic 'buff', so my exposure to alot of other material is limited.
#6 Posted by Hatiko (4553 posts) -

If your into different types of shared universes but still superpowered, Valiant was a big publisher in the 90's that kind of died when the whole comic book collapse happened. But they relaunched last summer with 4 books, X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Bloodshot, and Archer and Armstrong. Then in November they released their fifth book Shadowman. Just like the older Valiant, the new one focuses on a strong cohesive universe.

#7 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

You've read really good stuff already. Try X-Men.

#8 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

Not a superhero one but Alan Moore's "From Hell" about the Jack the Ripper murders is fantastic.

#9 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

Not a superhero one but Alan Moore's "From Hell" about the Jack the Ripper murders is fantastic.

DharmaMember77
I also recommend this. I bought it for my father two Christmas's ago, and I read the whole thing in a single day. Fantastic book, though after some research it seems that it isn't all entirely true to the story as it claims to be.
#10 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6608 posts) -
Have you read any New 52 material? New 52 Batman and Robin is fvckin awesome. So is Aquaman, Green Lantern, Animal Man, and Supergirl. For Deadpool: Dark Reign, Operation Annihilation, EVIL Deadpool, and DEAD are good
#11 Posted by brucewayne69 (2861 posts) -

Been getting more into superhero comics (/comics in general) of late, looking for some recommendations! Particularly interested in superhero ones, but any comic recommendations will do! (note while I like manga a lot, I'm not looking for manga recommendations).

What I've read:

Batman:
The Killing Joke
Year One
The Long Halloween
Hush
The Dark Knight Returns
Arkham Asylum
Dark Victory
Haunted Knight
The Man Who Laughs
Noel

Superman:
Red Son
Kingdom Come
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

Thor (Stracynsky and Gillen ones)
Deadpool & Cable
V for Vendetta
Watchmen
Wanted
Swamp Thing
Fables
The Sandman
Sin City
Y: The Last Man
Irredeemable

Thanks everyone! :)

chessmaster1989
You have a pretty good background in Batman, so that is good. For Superman- All Star Superman is hands down the best Superman book there is. Hands down. Batman: Court of Owls (vol 1 is out, vol 2 comes out in a month, if you don't want to wait then get the single issues) DC in general: Everything by Grant Morrison. My favorite comic is Final Crisis, though it's not for the uninitiated. Morrison's Justice League, in 4 paperback and hardcover volumes, is great. Morrison's Animal Man is great. There is more. Not by Morrison: Infinite Crisis. Identity Crisis. Vertigo: We3, Flex Mentallo
#12 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

DC comics:
Batman: Court of Owls
Wonderwoman: Blood
Aquaman: Trench
Superman Action Comics: Superman and the Men of Steel
Justice League: Origins

Marvel comics:
Any of the Deadpool classics (#1-7)
Wade Wilson's War

Misc comics:
Maus

#13 Posted by dcelw540 (462 posts) -

I love hellboy and 30 days of night comics :)

#14 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28197 posts) -
Blankets Maus Daytripper Asterios Polyp
#15 Posted by brucewayne69 (2861 posts) -

DC comics:
Batman: Court of Owls
Wonderwoman: Blood
Aquaman: Trench
Superman Action Comics: Superman and the Men of Steel
Justice League: Origins

Marvel comics:
Any of the Deadpool classics (#1-7)
Wade Wilson's War

Misc comics:
Maus

leviathan91
I'd be iffy about Justice League Origin. It's basically the Michael Bay movie of comics. All action and splash pages, no substance. Poor characterization too.
#16 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -

Lucifer and Hellblazer....

#17 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

This

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNwLoaVM3K5Ww9zhP5SEk

#18 Posted by MrGeezer (56752 posts) -
Preacher is a really good one. Granted, it does get a bit too stupid in a few parts, but overall it's pretty great. Mostly, I've just gotta recommend it for the cool and memorable characters. The characters are freaking great. Granted, it does get a bit too stupid in a few parts, but it's also hilarious as hell while simultaneously being sad and uplifting. It's almost always entertaining. Anyway, the core plot involves a set of characters embarking on a sort of strange and f***ed up spiritual journey, but the series sort of takes the form of a physical journey. Basically it's a "road trip" comic series where the heroes are all very flawed or f***ed up in some way, and we get to see them travel around getting into new adventures while discovering something new about themselves along the way. It's just really goddamned compelling and fun. But basically it's a "road trip" series. Very early on the core characters are well established, the goal is well established, then we just follow those characters on their adventures and see them change.