Logic or Creativity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
Left lobe vs right lobe. Which do you think is more important in the sense that either of which will help you reach your goal most efficiently? Logic is clearly superior to creativity because if one decides their creative side is more useful than their logical side in reaching their goal then one has reasoned through logic that if one pursues creativity then he/she will reach their goal. They used a hypothetical syllogism, a logical mechanism in order to come to that conclusion. In other words, creativity cannot occur without logic.
#2 Posted by Communist_Soul (3080 posts) -

Both work together one cannot exist without the other. Food for thought.

#3 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
if I had to pick one it would be yr mom
#4 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

Communist_Soul
Creativity occurs in the plane of logic. Creativity cannot occur without logic.
#5 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
if I had to pick one it would be yr momWolfattheDoor34
Way to be creative.
#6 Posted by Communist_Soul (3080 posts) -

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

lo_Pine

Nah.

Anyway the thread is flawed. You try to pose a question of which one is better but in your definition they are actually one and the same thing. Almost like removing crucial parts of a car both need each to carry out their functions. Say you remove the wheel, sure the car runs but goes no where. So without the vital component of creativity, how will logic advance one to their goal?

#7 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

Communist_Soul

Nah.

Anyway the thread is flawed. You try to pose a question of which one is better but in your definition they are actually one and the same thing. Almost like removing crucial parts of a car both need each to carry out their functions. Say you remove the wheel, sure the car runs but goes no where. So without the vital component of creativity, how will logic advance one to their goal?

In this thread, based on my definition, how are logic and creativity one and the same?
#8 Posted by Communist_Soul (3080 posts) -

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Creativity occurs in the plane of logic. Creativity cannot occur without logic.lo_Pine

Nah.

In this thread, based on my definition, how are logic and creativity one and the same?

You said "Creativity occurs in the plane of logic" which means creativity is part of logic.

If creativity is part of the logically process, does that not mean removing creativity essentially makes the process not logical?

#9 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

Nah.

Communist_Soul

You said "Creativity occurs in the plane of logic" which means creativity is part of logic.

If creativity is part of the logically process, does that not mean removing creativity essentially makes the process not logical?

Creativity is not part of the logic process, creativity is a part of the logic the process. logic would still exist even if creativity ceased to exist because logic governs creativity.
#10 Posted by Communist_Soul (3080 posts) -

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] In this thread, based on my definition, how are logic and creativity one and the same? lo_Pine

Creativity is not part of the logic process, creativity is a part of the logic the process. logic would still exist even if creativity ceased to exist because logic governs creativity.

Say there is a math teacher explaining a solution to their students, at which a student comes up a simpler way of solving the equation, is the student's way not more logical. To create that solution the student had to be creative and logical. Sure the way taught be the teacher may still exist without creativity but it would not be the most logical.

#11 Posted by MrsSolidSnake (4902 posts) -

With all my hours spent playing The Sims 3 I'm gonna go with logic.

#12 Posted by sukraj (22775 posts) -

logic

#13 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I like creativity more.

#14 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -
Creativity. As a writer, it's the only option I can pick. :P
#15 Posted by Smokescreened84 (2493 posts) -
Both. With being a writer and having to be as creative as possible I've also found that I need to use logic to ensure that the ideas work well, like trying to explain a virus that destroys the male genes and is reshaping the human race into a largely female in appearance asexual race while also making half of the population younger. As well as things like The Creators of my Beaumont series, how life was wiped out in that universe and restored by the Creators, the forced immortality they force onto the life they create, the emotional hell of living too long and more. An artist needs to make use of both so that the ideas can work better.
#16 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I think true creativity is tremendously dependent on logic.  You first have to filter out the hundreds of "new" ideas that are just plain crap to be able to come up with something that's actually creative in a good way.  Anybody can come up with a limitless number of ideas that are "new", and the reason nobody's done them before is because they're terrible ideas.

#17 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Creativity unrestrained by logic is worthless.
#18 Posted by seahorse123 (1228 posts) -
You can't choose one you need both.
#19 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -
Creativity unrestrained by logic is worthless.ghoklebutter
Tell that to fiction writers.
#20 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

I choose creativity, because then I can look at a problem, and instead of solving it, I could draw a picture of it, and then solve it in a unique manner.

#21 Posted by ScorpionTroll (842 posts) -

Duality.

#22 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

Both. With being a writer and having to be as creative as possible I've also found that I need to use logic to ensure that the ideas work well, like trying to explain a virus that destroys the male genes and is reshaping the human race into a largely female in appearance asexual race while also making half of the population younger. As well as things like The Creators of my Beaumont series, how life was wiped out in that universe and restored by the Creators, the forced immortality they force onto the life they create, the emotional hell of living too long and more. An artist needs to make use of both so that the ideas can work better.Smokescreened84

What kind of book is this?  Futurama?  Or are you just letting out your transsexual steam.

#23 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
[QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]Both. With being a writer and having to be as creative as possible I've also found that I need to use logic to ensure that the ideas work well, like trying to explain a virus that destroys the male genes and is reshaping the human race into a largely female in appearance asexual race while also making half of the population younger. As well as things like The Creators of my Beaumont series, how life was wiped out in that universe and restored by the Creators, the forced immortality they force onto the life they create, the emotional hell of living too long and more. An artist needs to make use of both so that the ideas can work better.

but all you're making use of is autism
#24 Posted by metroidprime55 (17657 posts) -
I prefer creativity, logic can make you into a boring person.
#25 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Creativity unrestrained by logic is worthless.ShadowsDemon

You're right. I guess I was specifically thinking about theorizing and problem solving. In general, I'd say they are equally important.
#26 Posted by 6_Dead_360s (1663 posts) -

Creativity is just one form of logic. In fact, everything is logical, and when you percieve something to be illogical, you haven't figured out a way to tell yourself it simply follows a different logic.

#27 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Being a standard flesh bag, I tend to use both sides of my mushy computer.
#28 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Creativity unrestrained by logic is worthless.ghoklebutter

You're right. I guess I was specifically thinking about theorizing and problem solving. In general, I'd say they are equally important.

In that regard, you are correct. However, when writing a fantasy novel such as Magician and making games like Skryim, logic is nowhere to be seen. If it were, then it wouldn't be fantasy.
#29 Posted by metroidprime55 (17657 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Tell that to fiction writers.

In that regard, you are correct. However, when writing a fantasy novel such as Magician and making games like Skryim, logic is nowhere to be seen. If it were, then it wouldn't be fantasy.

I think the trick is to be capable of logic but at the same time be totally open to the concept of unconventional logic. Some people are so locked in their world of logic that that's all they know and will otherwise accept.
#30 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29279 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] You're right. I guess I was specifically thinking about theorizing and problem solving. In general, I'd say they are equally important.coolbeans90

What the flying fvck are you talking about? There is logic all over the place in fiction/fantasy.

#31 Posted by dkdk999 (6738 posts) -
Inductive reasoning uses creativity maybe ? Like when you take a bunch of facts and form a theory around them that's creative. But objective logic like 2 + 2 = 4 that's not creative.
#32 Posted by MgamerBD (17550 posts) -
Creativity...A world without art is a dead one.
#33 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] You're right. I guess I was specifically thinking about theorizing and problem solving. In general, I'd say they are equally important.coolbeans90

What the flying fvck are you talking about? There is logic all over the place in fiction/fantasy.

Yes, but not always. Summoning the dead, for instance. I can assure you that is not in any way logical.
#34 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

ya, i agree with others saying that the two are not mutually exclusive

#35 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Yes, but not always. Summoning the dead, for instance. I can assure you that is not in any way logical.

There are plenty of ways in which it is logical, albeit utterly unscientific.

IN that world, yes. Not on ours.
#36 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

There are plenty of ways in which it is logical, albeit utterly unscientific.

coolbeans90

IN that world, yes. Not on ours.

Hence, unscientific. The implications of bringing people back from the dead affecting things like plot, rules affecting how dead people behave, whether or not real live people are flipping sh!t about seeing dead relatives, etc., all involve a hefty amount of logic.

Fiction writers need logic.

I don't think you understand what I meant by logic. I meant logic as in relating ti our world of physics, chemistry, politics, space, travel, time, etc. Not logic as in the way a story moves or how people relate to each other. It's two different things.
#37 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
Both can feed off each other
#38 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

Hence, unscientific. The implications of bringing people back from the dead affecting things like plot, rules affecting how dead people behave, whether or not real live people are flipping sh!t about seeing dead relatives, etc., all involve a hefty amount of logic.

Fiction writers need logic.

coolbeans90

I don't think you understand what I meant by logic. I meant logic as in relating ti our world of physics, chemistry, politics, space, travel, time, etc. Not logic as in the way a story moves or how people relate to each other. It's two different things.

I think you meant realism, not logic.

No, I meant logic. There's plenty of ways in which logic can be used or interpreted.
#39 Posted by Smokescreened84 (2493 posts) -

[QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]Both. With being a writer and having to be as creative as possible I've also found that I need to use logic to ensure that the ideas work well, like trying to explain a virus that destroys the male genes and is reshaping the human race into a largely female in appearance asexual race while also making half of the population younger. As well as things like The Creators of my Beaumont series, how life was wiped out in that universe and restored by the Creators, the forced immortality they force onto the life they create, the emotional hell of living too long and more. An artist needs to make use of both so that the ideas can work better.GOGOGOGURT

What kind of book is this?  Futurama?  Or are you just letting out your transsexual steam.

It's not a book, just a long term series about a Scottish woman from another universe who is forced into long life by the Creators who created life in her home universe. She is one of thousands forced into long life as an experiment to see how lesser evolved life forms like humans can adapt to long life. Her twin sister is also forced into long life and goes insane. Reina Beaumont, one of the main leads of the series, tries to find a purpose to her life while trying not to lose her sanity like her sister did. The series is generally focused on character and emotion, how a human learns to find her purpose in a life she never wanted since she had accepted that she was going to die before her life was changed.
#40 Posted by N30F3N1X (7998 posts) -

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Creativity occurs in the plane of logic. Creativity cannot occur without logic.lo_Pine

Nah.

Both of your definitions are junk.

Justin Bieber.

#41 Posted by Angie7F (1120 posts) -

both.

I translate but I need both to do my job