Lightsabers were more Legit in the Original Star Wars Trilogy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thisisdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thisisdoom
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts
When there was a lightsaber duel in the, "Original Star Wars Trilogy", it looked like Luke was actually parrying instead of dancing. For some reason, the new trilogy didn't have any weight to the lightsabers. Like noone swung harder than the other person, it was like the lightsabers just touched lightly. Especially in Revenge of the Sith, you couldn't tell who was winning the duel because the parrying was so choreographed, you know what I'm saying?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Everything was more legit in the originals. They're better movies.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
What's with the Star Wars threads today?
carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

yes sir I do, but I still thought the ones in the newer trilogy were still pretty badass, I would guess that this lightsaber technology doesn't quite allow the "swords" to touch and stay there so easily anymore, good point though

snowyfleury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 snowyfleury
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts
it's because in the old ones they actually fought with green swords and used color replacement to add in the glow effects, and in the new ones they just fought with the hilts and used camera tracking.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

There's nothing legit about the new Star Wars tilogy.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

You guys need to stop being so elitist over this old vs new.

Consider that in the original trilogy Vadar's skills were not as practiced, and Luke was very knew to the Jedi practice. They didn't have as much control or skill when using the force as the Jedi in the new movies, who can control their bodies more. If you want to argue it further you can say that Vadar and Luke were using sheer force/emotion rather than skill.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I remember hearing from Lucas in one of the documentaries (I think from the 2004 Star Wars DVD set) saying that the sabers were originally supposed to be "heavy" or unwieldy, which resulted in the slower fights and more medieval knight style of fighting. This changed as the series went on until the Jedi and Sith were more like blade dancers.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I have to disagree. Lightsabers have no weight except for the hilt. The power of one person can just as easily be countered by the finesse and agility of another person since the Lightsaber doesn't have an edge like a normal blade. That's why you see so many different lightsaber styles in the movies and books.

I'm a Star Wars fanboy.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

Pirate700
What Pirate700 said
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts
What's with the Star Wars threads today?aaronmullan
its an online forum. people on them tend to be a tad bit nerdy.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
what does "more legit" mean? its a fictional weapon..
carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

[QUOTE="aaronmullan"]What's with the Star Wars threads today?Serraph105
its an online forum. people on them tend to be a tad bit nerdy.

Yeah but its true, havent heard of star wars in a while and now I saw about 5 threads on it in 5 minutes

But I guess one thread got others to think about star wars and left questions to be answered

rastaman219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rastaman219
Member since 2006 • 3032 Posts

Consider that in the original trilogy Vadar's skills were not as practiced, and Luke was very knew to the Jedi practice. They didn't have as much control or skill when using the force as the Jedi in the new movies, who can control their bodies more. If you want to argue it further you can say that Vadar and Luke were using sheer force/emotion rather than skill.

DigitalExile
Vaders skills were more practised in the original, due to them being set in a later time frame. Plus, Vader had more control over the force than Luke (arguably due to his knowledge of it). But yes, you could say emotion was a key factor. But not in the Empire Strikes back as much at RotJ due to him not knowing Vader was his father.
thisisdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thisisdoom
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts
still, the harder you swing, the more weight should be behind the swing, and in the new movies it seemed everyone parry'd flawlessly. In Empire Strikes Back, Luke's lightsaber was even knocked out of his hand, just by the laws of gravity. Not the force
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Whats with all the Star Wars threads lately? I enjoyed the fights in the new ones because they were more ENTERTAINING. It doesn't matter how realisitic it looks cos the actors are actually struggling, its about how entertaining it is. The fight in the A New Hope is pretty boring because the lightsabers were too damn heavy.
auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
beat me to it.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I appreciate the old ones for their brute force, and the new ones have lots of interesting techniques, but sometimes it seemed a bit too planned out. Love the originals and appreciate some of the new ones.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts

The newer duels are better choreographed, but the original trilogy had so many underlying emotions and were so much more meaningful than any duel in any of the prequels. Much better to watch, in my opinion.

Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts

Pirate700
Pretty much this.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Although I perferred the original trilogy, I liked what they did to the lightsabers in the new trilogy. It was at a faster pace, and there were new lightsaber designs unlike the original trilogy like the double bladed and the bent lightsabers. The combat was tense, especially the duels between Yoda and Dooku/Palpatine and Anakin and Kenobi. I thought that was the one redeeming thing about the new trilogy other than the clone troopers and the special effects.

trodeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 trodeback
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

I have to disagree. Lightsabers have no weight except for the hilt. The power of one person can just as easily be countered by the finesse and agility of another person since the Lightsaber doesn't have an edge like a normal blade.

airshocker

I agree. The weight of the lightsabers is next to nothing and they basically go through anything regardless of how hard you swing. You woudln't put brute force behind your swings because it would be too easy to dodge that and counterattack with a simple swipe. I always figured that light saber fighting should be more along the lines of fencing. Whoever get's the first hit is going to win.

druggyjoe3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 druggyjoe3000
Member since 2006 • 1523 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

I have to disagree. Lightsabers have no weight except for the hilt. The power of one person can just as easily be countered by the finesse and agility of another person since the Lightsaber doesn't have an edge like a normal blade.

trodeback

I agree. The weight of the lightsabers is next to nothing and they basically go through anything regardless of how hard you swing. You woudln't put brute force behind your swings because it would be too easy to dodge that and counterattack with a simple swipe. I always figured that light saber fighting should be more along the lines of fencing. Whoever get's the first hit is going to win.

Wow never thought about it like that.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

When there was a lightsaber duel in the, "Original Star Wars Trilogy", it looked like Luke was actually parrying instead of dancing. For some reason, the new trilogy didn't have any weight to the lightsabers. Like noone swung harder than the other person, it was like the lightsabers just touched lightly. Especially in Revenge of the Sith, you couldn't tell who was winning the duel because the parrying was so choreographed, you know what I'm saying?thisisdoom

Weight? How much is a Light Saber supposed to weigh? It's made out of LIGHT (which, last I heard, is weightless).

You think that the light saber battles look more legit because they look like real people swinging heavy objects. And that's the precise reason why I say that the Light Saber battles in the new trilogy mostly blew the saber battles in the old trilogy out of the water. These are freaking Jedi warriors. It's not supposed to look like two humans swinging sticks. Where's the mystique and awe in that? People well-studied in The Force are supposed to be the most feared people inthe galaxy. They are supposed to be SUPERhuman, and it a Jedi warrior swinging a light saber shouldn't look like Mark Hamil swinging a prop stick.

Say what you will about the new trilogy, but everything (well, ALMOST everything) involving light sabers is MILES beyond any of the light saber battles in the original trilogy.

MercifulKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MercifulKiller
Member since 2009 • 499 Posts
The originals are always better.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

rastaman219

Vaders skills were more practised in the original, due to them being set in a later time frame. Plus, Vader had more control over the force than Luke (arguably due to his knowledge of it). But yes, you could say emotion was a key factor. But not in the Empire Strikes back as much at RotJ due to him not knowing Vader was his father.

By that point, Vader was also largely cybernetic. Meaning that he wasn't as in tune with The Force.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer

still, the harder you swing, the more weight should be behind the swing, and in the new movies it seemed everyone parry'd flawlessly. thisisdoom

Because they're freaking Jedi Knights, that's why.

And there shouldn't be ANY weight behind the swing, since the beam is made out of LIGHT, and light is weightless.

Inger1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Inger1
Member since 2005 • 941 Posts

TCs are Canadians maybe... there was a Star Wars movie marathon on Space(equivalent to SyFy in the US) on tv the other day

WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WushuFighter
Member since 2007 • 1837 Posts

If you think about realisticly(even though light sabers are not real lol), the "blade" does not have any weight to it because it's light energy.

Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts

[QUOTE="thisisdoom"]still, the harder you swing, the more weight should be behind the swing, and in the new movies it seemed everyone parry'd flawlessly. MrGeezer

Because they're freaking Jedi Knights, that's why.

And there shouldn't be ANY weight behind the swing, since the beam is made out of LIGHT, and light is weightless.

The blades wouldn't be made out of light or else they would me neverending. You could just cut people in half from a couple miles away. They would have to be made out of a magnetically bbound plasma.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts

[QUOTE="thisisdoom"]When there was a lightsaber duel in the, "Original Star Wars Trilogy", it looked like Luke was actually parrying instead of dancing. For some reason, the new trilogy didn't have any weight to the lightsabers. Like noone swung harder than the other person, it was like the lightsabers just touched lightly. Especially in Revenge of the Sith, you couldn't tell who was winning the duel because the parrying was so choreographed, you know what I'm saying?MrGeezer

Weight? How much is a Light Saber supposed to weigh? It's made out of LIGHT (which, last I heard, is weightless).

You think that the light saber battles look more legit because they look like real people swinging heavy objects. And that's the precise reason why I say that the Light Saber battles in the new trilogy mostly blew the saber battles in the old trilogy out of the water. These are freaking Jedi warriors. It's not supposed to look like two humans swinging sticks. Where's the mystique and awe in that? People well-studied in The Force are supposed to be the most feared people inthe galaxy. They are supposed to be SUPERhuman, and it a Jedi warrior swinging a light saber shouldn't look like Mark Hamil swinging a prop stick.

Say what you will about the new trilogy, but everything (well, ALMOST everything) involving light sabers is MILES beyond any of the light saber battles in the original trilogy.

Why is it better? Because they twirl their lightsabers around pointlessly? Because every single move is parried perfectly so the fights go on without a single pause? The new ones looks fake to watch, that's the problem. They look like two people rehearsing a choreographed dance. Look at Anakin versus Obi-Wan in Episode 3, it's the most ridiculous looking thing you could imagine. It doesn't even look like they're trying to hurt each other most of the time, it looks like their showing off their skills with a baton for a crowd. It certainly doesn't look like a duel. The one duel in the new trilogy that looked real was Episode 1's two on one duel. That felt like an actual fight, not a rehearsed dance.