Life without the internet

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Yes, it did exist, in the not so distant past. Most of us still remember it but everyday a new child is born that cannot escape the world wide web that simply catches everything.

Sometimes I have a good laugh when I watch an episode of any crime series where they try to find some criminal. The internet is everywhere, and the web will catch him sooner or later. In the past you could go to another country or even just another state and dissappear but that doesn't exist anymore today.

It hit me yesterday when I saw a picture that someone posted on facebook. It was a picture from a party where I was and some other people. I can ask that person to get that picture offline but most of the other people on the picture want that picture to be posted on the internet , because everyone looks so good and happy on it.

So, either I can be an ass and do social suicide by demanding to take that picture off line or I can just let it be and go with the flow. I supppose it's going to be the latter, since I refuse to act all paranoia and avoid every picture but then also afterwards go bother everyone that put a picture of me on the internet.

Not to mention kids take pictures too and I can't sue them, I have to sue their parents. Yeah , sure that's not even an option. I have tried long and hard but eventually I have to succumb to the web that's simply everywhere. I even looked it up, is there a country without internet, yes some islands, but here they have satelitte

I'm not going to complain, I use the internet daily but sometimes I long for the days that I could be a rascal and just forget about it the day after. Today If I do that I'm either neighourhood star or the village idiot. Pictures of me while while falling asleep half naked will make sure I remember that I had one drink too many, forever.

So do you sometimes wish for a time that the internet didn't exist or are you glad that warm web is all around you, forever and ever?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Why would I want to limit a large source of information, knowledge and interaction in my life?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

There is no life without the internet.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I'd masturbate less without the internet

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

It might get some of you guys out of the house more. I could do fine without it, lived half my life without it once before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

We need the internet for our super computer warlord may enslave us

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I wish... but life would sux without the internet.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I couldn't imagine a world without it. It's a convenience as important as electricity.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commander

@foxhound_fox said:

I couldn't imagine a world without it. It's a convenience as important as electricity.

damn it really has come that far?

how old are you?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@commander said:

So, either I can be an ass and do social suicide by demanding to take that picture off line or I can just let it be and go with the flow. I supppose it's going to be the latter, since I refuse to act all paranoia and avoid every picture but then also afterwards go bother everyone that put a picture of me on the internet.

There is a 3rd option in the future. And that is to avoid being in a compromised state while in public.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@commander said:

@foxhound_fox said:

how old are you?

Why would it matter how old I am? People of all ages think it's the best thing since electricity, others do not. Personally, as a 28 year-old man who grew up with technology, I couldn't see a world without access to the internet. Or at least, I couldn't see a civilized world without access to the internet.

The level of access to information and fast-as-light communication to any place on the planet, is merely another major step in the evolution of humanity. Do you look upon electricity and other modern amenities with as much disdain? Would you rather live "off the grid" out in the woods off the sweat on your brow?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-598fc45371265

I can imagine it and it wouldn't be impossible to live like that. I'd miss the easy access to movies, music, and anime though. And I'd miss Amazon.ca.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I like outdoor activities such as camping and boating. Getting wet with Internet doesn't seem like a good mix. Heck. It's nice not to have to use electricity sometimes.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Eh, my feelings/thoughts about the internet I think are pretty mixed. I mean I find it good for information, and the internet can be quite beneficial for finding things you want like answers, facts, pictures, videos, etc.

But other times I do think its true that the internet still kinda needs work in other departments, because sometimes I do feel its still rather dangerous and unstable, and that sadly in some ways it can still be too easily misused.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Results will be mixed, from great to bad! Great for general info and online shopping and bad for taking advantage of it for the wrong reasons.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I can see where you're coming from TC but I believe the individual can still be largely in control of his cyber life and internet use in general. Personally, although I use the internet extensively enough on daily basis I don't feel "morbidly" dependent on it. I just use it like I use every other utility such as electricity, water...etc without paying much attention to it or attributing any real value or attachment to it. I never feel "pressured" to get on my laptop and open my browser. In fact I often spend a few days without touching my browser either because I'm busy with some other stuff or simply because I'm not feeling like it and this is what I meant at the beginning of my post, that you're still in control. Whenever you feel you had enough exposure to the cyber world you can simply severe that composure for any length of time. What's more is that if it was not for the fact that I need the internet for a variety of exceptionally contingent reasons at this point in my life chances are my use of it would have been lesser than it is right now. So basically I expect my already moderate use of the internet to drop substantially if I ever find myself in different living conditions overall.

I think it is worth mentioning at this point the different world I live in compared to most if not to all of OT. Power access has been continuously and progressively getting sparser over the course of the past decade or so around here. There are days when I get less than 6 hours of power access or so throughout the day and we don't have 3G or anything so my internet access is entirely dependent on electricity which is scanty and deteriorating. I was forced to adapt to limited and confined daily internet access, I adapted my life to that reality and in hindsight it appears to have amounted to being a blessing in disguise. I was forced to learn how to utilize my time and resources in general without internet or electricity for that matter and you'd be surprised at the things you're capable of.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@sheikhspeare said:

@GazaAli said:

I think it is worth mentioning at this point the different world I live in compared to most if not to all of OT. Power access has been continuously and progressively getting sparser over the course of the past decade or so around here. There are days when I get less than 6 hours of power access or so throughout the day and we don't have 3G or anything so my internet access is entirely dependent on electricity which is scanty and deteriorating. I was forced to adapt to limited and confined daily internet access, I adapted my life to that reality and in hindsight it appears to have amounted to being a blessing in disguise. I was forced to learn how to utilize my time and resources in general without internet or electricity for that matter and you'd be surprised at the things you're capable of.

Come to Pakistan. I'll assure you that nobody will behead you for being agnostic.

Pakistan? I think not I'll stick to Gaza.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Life would suck without the internet.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Dream of a better world

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

It might get some of you guys out of the house more. I could do fine without it, lived half my life without it once before.

You tool

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By commander

@foxhound_fox said:

@commander said:

@foxhound_fox said:

how old are you?

Why would it matter how old I am? People of all ages think it's the best thing since electricity, others do not. Personally, as a 28 year-old man who grew up with technology, I couldn't see a world without access to the internet. Or at least, I couldn't see a civilized world without access to the internet.

The level of access to information and fast-as-light communication to any place on the planet, is merely another major step in the evolution of humanity. Do you look upon electricity and other modern amenities with as much disdain? Would you rather live "off the grid" out in the woods off the sweat on your brow?

Sorry but there wasn't much we couldn't do without the internet. Man went to the moon, build nuclear weapons, car, jets, rockets , computers all without the internet. You take away the providers and you take away the internet

I think there should be some sort of internet but not like it is today. More and more I feel like an ant in an ant colony. It does matter how old you're are, I'm nearly 40, I was already an adult when Cell phones got mainstream and the internet. When I was 12 years old I was one of the few in my community that had a computer. You simply don't know any better.

You will never know how it is to say whatever you want. Freedom of speech is something of the past, it's enforced by law but it this can never be maintained. It's the same with privacy.

Several civil wars have been started because of the internet, not to mention the civil unrest overall. Never have people been taken so much medication, no wonder, humans are individuals and that individuality is threatened.

For humanity it can be good thing the internet, but for humans as individuals it's a stressfull endavour. Everybody has a voice nowadays, even the stupid, the evil and the kids , a voice with images. It's very easy as a single person today to piss off a whole culture or country. This globalization thing could very well blow up in our face, but heck I want to stay positive, people went through the cold war as well, and we're all still here.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

living a life without internet sure sounds like torture,but believe me,when I was a kid,there weren't many people in my country have internet access as information technologies back then weren't as high as it is today. even in the modern times,there are some people who still don't have access to it,..sad,but face the reality. #secondworldproblems

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@Dogswithguns said:

Without it there would be no one to point out your shitty grammar.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@thehig1 said:

I'd masturbate less without the internet

id actually have to go outside then.

@roulettethedog said:

Without the Internet, I couldn't steal music,movies and other forms of entertainment.

im not stealing though.

@sukraj said:

Life would suck without the internet.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

But I go out more often than ever now!!! Combine work with outside activities and you have a winning combo, I need breaks more than anything!!!

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I feel like disconnecting the power of my home sometimes, just to get everyone off line, lol .. But then the modem has a battery back up, and phones have hours left of internet. Its not possible to be without the internet. very difficult. But i get what your saying.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

@Dogswithguns said:

Without it there would be no one to point out your shitty grammar.

Yeah yeah.. I spelled sux instead suck I knew that. on purpose for fun.. so what?!.. bite me!! lol

Avatar image for poopskinletmein
PoopSkinLetMeIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PoopSkinLetMeIn
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Fapping would be less than desirable.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 commander

@Storm_Marine said:

@commander said:

There is a 3rd option in the future. And that is to avoid being in a compromised state while in public.

Sooner or later, you'll eventually be in a comprimised state. Either is when you have laugh with some culture or ethnic group, your pants drop, whatever

sooner or later , you'll always do something that's not acceptable, wether you want it or not.

There's a reason privacy laws exist, but I don't know if people keep on enforcing these privacy laws, since the internet is world wide.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

But without the Internet, how am I supposed to watch Hentai? I need my Hentai so the Internet is vital for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-598fc45371265

@commander said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@commander said:

Sooner or later, you'll eventually be in a comprimised state. Either is when you have laugh with some culture or ethnic group, your pants drop, whatever

Yeah when I'm 85 and have dementia.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Internet is like a public library for me. I've learned a shit ton out of it compared to school.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@chaoscougar1 said:

@pimphand_gamer said:

You tool

I'm outside 5 days a week for 10-12 hrs, sometimes longer. I did 14 hours straight last friday on a call out and at least a few hours on weekends with the wife....and are you wanting me to be outside longer or something? You know it's cold out right?

You're talking to someone that spent over 2 months to beat a 25 hr long game. Like I said, I'll survive whatever I need to. Gaming and internet is just a fun hobby in my spare time, not my entire life.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

I think an alternative life where internet was contained to hubs (internet cafes, libraries, universities) would be much better than everyone having the internet in their homes.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

I don't understand people who already used the internet and knew the benefits of it and still say they don't want it or it's not necessary.

I'd be more willingly to accept that idea from a person who didn't use it yet.