This topic is locked from further discussion.

Watch_My_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Watch_My_6
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

N/A

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Watch_My_6 said:

I'm going to keep this as short as possible.

I'm a very average dude. Lived in the same small city my whole life. Graduated high school, graduated college, never really knew what I wanted to do after that. I have a small group of friends, but I'm really close to my family. I've never really been in love, and I haven't had a steady GF in a while. I'm also very introvert and keep to myself. I currently work at a shitty job, even though I'm way overqualified for it now.

I've always wanted to see the world, and I have the opportunity to do that right now. I'd actually be going across the world for a job, which wouldn't be great pay but that wouldn't be the main reason why I'd do it anyways.

I feel like I've never been challenged in my life. School and academics are easy to me. I don't have crippling debt, and I have no real concerns. The only thing that's ever been going against me is how introverted and shy I can be. I feel as if I could go somewhere new, I could really open up. And the best part would be that it is only a 1-year commitment and then I can come back.

On a somewhat related note, I've always sort of dreamed about going into the military. Why? Because it offers a sense of the unknown. I'd be forced to try something new and to learn about new things in unfamiliar places. I feel like the opportunity I'm talking about is somewhat similar, except it would only be 1 year long.

My problem is what others would think - specifically my family. I'm really close with them, and I think they'd despise me for leaving. What do you think GS OT?

Sometimes there are perfectly practical reasons for moving. Stuff like, "I need to move in order to get out of such a crime-ridden city" or "I need to move in order to take this awesome job I just got offered."

But then there's also "running from ones self." Crime or cost of living or employment opportunities are largely external factors. But "not being able to open up" is an internal thing. In all likelihood there's nothing stopping you from "opening up" right where you are now, and a change of location is likely to not make much if any difference. That sounds a whole lot like "running away from yourself", which in all likelihood won't amount to a hill of beans since wherever you go you're still going to be YOU.

Anyway, I'm not saying that you shouldn't go away or do something else. But I would recommend thinking about why you want to do it, what you expect that to solve, and if the problem is your location rather than yourself. Whatever you end up doing, just try to be smart about it.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I'm an introvert. I moved from Canada to Australia for school. It's pretty cool. I say go for it.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Your family musn't love you too much if they'll despise you for leaving for one year, despite you feeling it's for your own good, no?

Go for it, a change that big could really help you to improve your life and be happy, and if it doesn't, like you say it's only a year (but wait, if it does make you happy, will it still only be a year? Or will you be able to extend it?)

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I have completely changed my American eating habits since beating Cancer, dairy and meats are minimal, processed foods are out, and I'm eating a lot of foods I would never have thought to eat, also green smoothies a lot, and specific vitamins. I feel much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I've left my country (permanently as far as I'm concerned) and I couldn't be happier. My family hated it but they came around when they realised the choices were either having less contact with me or not having contact with me at all.

The hardest part for me was the cultural shock and the language...it didn't take me long to be able to speak at a conversational level but even after almost 3 years here I still feel that a lot of my personality is missing since I'm a "quick humour" kind of guy and that's hard to achieve when you haven't mastered the language. Will you need to learn a new language where you're going?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@Watch_My_6 said:

I'm going to keep this as short as possible.

I'm a very average dude. Lived in the same small city my whole life. Graduated high school, graduated college, never really knew what I wanted to do after that. I have a small group of friends, but I'm really close to my family. I've never really been in love, and I haven't had a steady GF in a while. I'm also very introvert and keep to myself. I currently work at a shitty job, even though I'm way overqualified for it now.

I've always wanted to see the world, and I have the opportunity to do that right now. I'd actually be going across the world for a job, which wouldn't be great pay but that wouldn't be the main reason why I'd do it anyways.

I feel like I've never been challenged in my life. School and academics are easy to me. I don't have crippling debt, and I have no real concerns. The only thing that's ever been going against me is how introverted and shy I can be. I feel as if I could go somewhere new, I could really open up. And the best part would be that it is only a 1-year commitment and then I can come back.

On a somewhat related note, I've always sort of dreamed about going into the military. Why? Because it offers a sense of the unknown. I'd be forced to try something new and to learn about new things in unfamiliar places. I feel like the opportunity I'm talking about is somewhat similar, except it would only be 1 year long.

My problem is what others would think - specifically my family. I'm really close with them, and I think they'd despise me for leaving. What do you think GS OT?

Do what your gut tells you. Sounds like your ready to be molded into the unknown yourself. I'd say travel the world. If you feel military is right, it might just be. Sounds like you've had a great life to this point. Do what your heart, and gut tell you. Live your dream OBi Wan ! Do it, just do it !

Loading Video...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

do it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Watch_My_6: No problem; let us know what you've decided and feel free to ask any questions you might have =)

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts
@Iszdope said:

Life changing decision..?

I chose drugs.

And alcohol?

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

Sit down. Make a list PROS and CONS. If the pros outweigh the cons, go for it. If they're equal, go for it. If the con list is MUCH LONGER than the pro list, then think long and hard. (If I were you, I'd take the job first. Military life can be really hard.)

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@Watch_My_6: Definitely. I love the country, but home is home....and it's expensive and the internet sucks here.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Iszdope: atleast you are changing it now again, gaming is a way better drug ;p

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

You sound like you regret who you are or something. Drastic solutions are an immature way to try to solve your problems (and usually don't work). Going to some place you've never been, without any real incentive (that job isn't much of an incentive), sounds like a dumbass decision. Want to be less introverted or less shy? Try talking to people. Go to parties. Loosen up. Baby steps. Don't jump into the deep end of the pool. You're just going to be some lonely shallow dude living away from the people you know, moving won't automatically solve any problems for you, trust me. I know plenty of people who move to solve their problems and it *never* works.

If you're introverted or shy and regret it - remember that you're in control of the way you act. If you're introverted, there's probably a good reason for it, and if you don't believe so - then make an effort to spend time with other people.

If you genuinely want to live somewhere else for other reasons...then move. But doing it because you think it'll automatically change who you are for the better is a mistake. I honestly think you'd be better off joining the military, that would put things into perspective.

To me, it sounds like the real solution to your problems is to get a new job (since you believe you're overqualified), make friends there, and maybe do some other activities to make some friends. Work on your life directly. What this thread is suggesting is the equivalent to one of those generic crap plots in a sitcom (or even what the Dr. did in Babylon 5).

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dylandr

@Iszdope: WHOOO! HYPPPPEEE!

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dylandr

@Iszdope: K.O.!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b797108c254e

I don't think you guys should be telling him who he will or will not become if he does this...not everybody reacts the same to big changes and since he is not you there is no way of knowing how he'll change.

@dylandr: You're happy I moved to your country, right? RIGHT?!

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dylandr

@korvus said:

I don't think you guys should be telling him who he will or will not become if he does this...not everybody reacts the same to big changes and since he is not you there is no way of knowing how he'll change.

@dylandr: You're happy I moved to your country, right? RIGHT?!

You are a honest hard working foreigner so i don't see a problem with that :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@dylandr: I am also adorable!

dylandr

Forum Posts