LGBT groups, reject St. Patrick's Day parades

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by hippiesanta (9734 posts) -

The mayors of two major cities have opted out of marching in their cities' St. Patrick's Day parades, in what they call a show of support for gay groups that have historically been excluded from the events.

read more here

IMO .... these LGBT group should wait for their turn like mardi gras ...... or .... join the parade as a citizen .... not as representative of sexual orientation

#2 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16479 posts) -

This makes me want to march in a St. Patrick's day parade next year.

#3 Posted by indzman (16455 posts) -

This makes me want to march in a St. Patrick's day parade next year.

#4 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

Why would some people feel the need to pompously and ostentatiously display their sexual orientation in a purely cultural and civic event? It serves no purpose other than instigating shit and hijacking the whole thing.
I don't know what these people want, aren't they allowed to sleep with whoever/whatever they want to? What gives?
Straight people should "rise" and start their own pride thing. It would be quite amusing to see a march of straight people hijacking an LGBT event or march.

#5 Posted by toast_burner (21136 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Why would some people feel the need to pompously and ostentatiously display their sexual orientation in a purely cultural and civic event? It serves no purpose other than instigating shit and hijacking the whole thing.

I don't know what these people want, aren't they allowed to sleep with whoever/whatever they want to? What gives?

Straight people should "rise" and start their own pride thing. It would be quite amusing to see a march of straight people hijacking an LGBT event or march.

Loads of straight people go to LGBT pride. While I don't understand why they would want to arch in a St Patrick day parade, I also don't understand why they aren't allowed to.

#6 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Loads of straight people go to LGBT pride. While I don't understand why they would want to arch in a St Patrick day parade, I also don't understand why they aren't allowed to.

No one stopped them, therefore they're not really disallowed or anything. When you decide to participate in any event or occasion, especially if its a public one, you're expected to show respect and decency for the occasion or the event and its participants/organizers. Part of showing that involves the strict adherence to the traditions and heritage of that said occasion/event, instead of hijacking it and use it as a platform to further a personal or partisan interest. Its like coming to your birthday party and decide to propose to a woman in there.

#7 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20395 posts) -
@GazaAli said:

the thing is, other groups could actually wave around signs at the parade. schools and other civic groups are allowed to do just that. it's kind of a big part of a parade.

i don't know about the new york parade, but in boston the whole notion that it's just about irish heritage is disingenuous. there are storm troopers, real military groups, minutemen, and all sorts of things.

it's an event that's already full of pomp. i can understand when one particular group gets called out for it and feels put off.

#8 Posted by JimB (143 posts) -

There is a time and place for everything. Just because there is an event does not mean you can be a active participant. You should just attend and enjoy the event as a on looker. Most people really don't want to know about your private life or beliefs at an event unless it is part of the theme of the event.

#9 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16413 posts) -

So... They are somehow making a St. Patrick's day parade into an LGBTQ issue? That's pretty stupid, honestly. Although why they weren't allowed in the parade is also baffling.

#10 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20395 posts) -

So... They are somehow making a St. Patrick's day parade into an LGBTQ issue? That's pretty stupid, honestly. Although why they weren't allowed in the parade is also baffling.

they were allowed to march in the parade. they just weren't allowed to communicate (wear t-shirts, hold signs) why they were marching as a group in the parade while other groups were allowed to do just that.

#11 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149522 posts) -

Why does every damn thing have to be about this issue?

#12 Posted by Master_Live (13631 posts) -

Just wait until gay Crimeans start to protest...

#13 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149522 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Considering Russia's stance....that could be suicide.

#14 Edited by TheFlush (5419 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

they were allowed to march in the parade. they just weren't allowed to communicate (wear t-shirts, hold signs) why they were marching as a group in the parade while other groups were allowed to do just that.

Pretty much this, St. Patrick's day also doesn't have anything to do with veterans, schools, military, nurses, fire fighters, feminists etc. However these people are allowed to show signs of the groups they associate themselves with. And a gay group is not allowed that. That's just strange. Either allow everybody or allow none of it. (I'd personally pick the latter one, because none of those groups have anything to do with St. patty day)

#15 Posted by dave123321 (33378 posts) -

How many st patty parades honor whatever it's supposed to be about in our hearts

#16 Edited by dave123321 (33378 posts) -
#17 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149522 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: marginalization tends to make it an issue

There's a time and a place....and that isn't it. And FYI...if you want sympathy for your cause....this isn't the way to go about it. It's a turn off to the issue.

#18 Posted by toast_burner (21136 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

There's a time and a place....and that isn't it. And FYI...if you want sympathy for your cause....this isn't the way to go about it. It's a turn off to the issue.

But why single out gay people?

#19 Posted by Boddicker (2278 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Pretty much this.

#20 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149522 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@dave123321 said:

What? I'm not singling out anyone. Just happens the topic. Just saying that time and place matters.

#21 Edited by toast_burner (21136 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@dave123321 said:

What? I'm not singling out anyone. Just happens the topic. Just saying that time and place matters.

Well you're saying that LGBT has nothing to do with St Patricks day which is why they're not allowed. Yet other groups that have equally as little to do with it are allowed.

#22 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3686 posts) -

I'll never understand the mentality of some groups. Irish were hated on really hard for more than a century, but when another group has hate aimed at it, they just hate on them too.

#23 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16413 posts) -

@TheFlush said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Pretty much this, St. Patrick's day also doesn't have anything to do with veterans, schools, military, nurses, fire fighters, feminists etc. However these people are allowed to show signs of the groups they associate themselves with. And a gay group is not allowed that. That's just strange. Either allow everybody or allow none of it. (I'd personally pick the latter one, because none of those groups have anything to do with St. patty day)

Oh I gotcha

#24 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

Flaunt your sexuality somewhere else idiots....no one fucking cares anymore.

#25 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

@TheFlush said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

The fact you would put someone in that same group based on who they like to sleep with is bullshit.

#26 Edited by limpbizkit818 (15024 posts) -

I'm sure there were far more gay people marching in the parade than protesting. You can be openly gay without holding a pride march.

#27 Edited by Braun_Roid_Rage (704 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

^ This

Do these people really need to announce they're gay loud & proud wherever they go? I mean come on now.

#28 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4077 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Considering Russia's stance....that could be suicide.

Wow, I just got a brilliant idea! All that the west needs to do is send a bunch of gay people to Crimea to pose a citizens and Russia will no longer want Crimea as they don't like gays! The plan is fool-proof! What could possibly go wrong?

#29 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

the thing is, other groups could actually wave around signs at the parade. schools and other civic groups are allowed to do just that. it's kind of a big part of a parade.

i don't know about the new york parade, but in boston the whole notion that it's just about irish heritage is disingenuous. there are storm troopers, real military groups, minutemen, and all sorts of things.

it's an event that's already full of pomp. i can understand when one particular group gets called out for it and feels put off.

The participation of those civic or public groups is itself part of the traditions and norms of the celebration. So even if they're not about Irish heritage, they're still well-established constituents or participants of the event. Besides, schools, veterans' associations, military groups..etc are all public and national groups that to my knowledge are nonpartisan and are not ideologically or politically charged. Truth of the matter is, the LGBT movement is a political issue in the U.S, at least for the time being, and LGBT people themselves made sure to heavily politicize it as much as possible, possibly to gain lobbying leverage, social influence and protection for their interests.

#30 Edited by hippiesanta (9734 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

Well you're saying that LGBT has nothing to do with St Patricks day which is why they're not allowed. Yet other groups that have equally as little to do with it are allowed.

Micheal Stipe of REM and Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day don't sing out loud about their sexuality in their show although they are openly gay/bixesual

same goes to Ghaal of band Gorgoroth who is gay and dangerous

#31 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149522 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@dave123321 said:

What marching bands? It's not a damn soapbox. It's a parade for St. Patrick's Day and it doesn't need derailed with specific issues. Period. If it bothers someone.....they can stay home and not watch it. So tired of self interest groups ruining everything just because they feel entitled.

#32 Edited by Iszdope (9423 posts) -
@hippiesanta said:

@toast_burner said:

Micheal Stipe of REM and Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day don't sing out loud about their sexuality in their show although they are openly gay/bixesual

*Gaahl*

Edit: Ave Sathanas!

#33 Posted by hippiesanta (9734 posts) -

@Iszdope said:
@hippiesanta said:

@toast_burner said:

*Gaahl*

Edit: Ave Sathanas!

lol ... my bad .....

Ave Satanas!

#34 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20395 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:
@GazaAli said:

The participation of those civic or public groups is itself part of the traditions and norms of the celebration. So even if they're not about Irish heritage, they're still well-established constituents or participants of the event. Besides, schools, veterans' associations, military groups..etc are all public and national groups that to my knowledge are nonpartisan and are not ideologically or politically charged. Truth of the matter is, the LGBT movement is a political issue in the U.S, at least for the time being, and LGBT people themselves made sure to heavily politicize it as much as possible, possibly to gain lobbying leverage, social influence and protection for their interests.

new groups march in the parade pretty much every year. whether one group did or didn't march in the previous years is irrelevant (although something tells me that stormtroopers and tinmen weren't around when the parade first started) to traditions because the tradition is one of growth.

the parade organizers have already stated that the "political" message that they wanted to keep out was a group of rainbow flag holders. they weren't going to wave around signs saying "vote for person x" or anything like that. by that standard of being political, most of the groups marching were political as many of them end up advocating one candidate or another when voting season comes.

#35 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:
@GazaAli said:

new groups march in the parade pretty much every year. whether one group did or didn't march in the previous years is irrelevant (although something tells me that stormtroopers and tinmen weren't around when the parade first started) to traditions because the tradition is one of growth.

the parade organizers have already stated that the "political" message that they wanted to keep out was a group of rainbow flag holders. they weren't going to wave around signs saying "vote for person x" or anything like that. by that standard of being political, most of the groups marching were political as many of them end up advocating one candidate or another when voting season comes.

I'm not using political in the strict definition of the word. May be I should have used partisan instead. What I meant by political is an issue surrounded by controversy, social strife and/or intense lobbying, if that makes sense to you.

That aside, do you really not see the difference between having schools, veterans' associations and other civic groups marching in such a parade and an LGBT group doing the same?

#36 Posted by Sword-Demon (6872 posts) -

Well St. Patrick's Day is a Catholic feast day.. idk why they would even want to be a part of it, considering that those responsible for it think of them as sinful abominations.

"Hey there's a parade honoring a Catholic saint! Let's go turn it into a LBGT march!"

Why must they try to use every celebration/parade as a stage to broadcast their beliefs? it's inappropriate for the occasion.

I'm pro gay rights, but that's ridiculous. I'm not about to walk into a mosque and expect to be allowed to start preaching about bacon.

#37 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20395 posts) -

@GazaAli: i really don't see a difference. they are all contributing members of the boston community, which is essentially what the parade is about. apparently, the parade organizers don't see much of a difference either since they were willing to let the group march before they caught wind of the rainbow flags.

#38 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@LoG-Sacrament said:

@GazaAli: i really don't see a difference. they are all contributing members of the boston community, which is essentially what the parade is about. apparently, the parade organizers don't see much of a difference either since they were willing to let the group march before they caught wind of the rainbow flags.

LGBT movement is not contributing anything to anyone but themselves, that's the point. Its not a public or civic group of any kind. Let me propose the following: Can Muslim Americans march in St.Patrick parade while holding slogans about how great it is to be a Muslim and how holy and sacred the Quran is? Muslim Americans are contributing citizens I bet, but they're not a contributing group or establishment by any stretch.

#39 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20395 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@LoG-Sacrament said:

LGBT movement is not contributing anything to anyone but themselves, that's the point. Its not a public or civic group of any kind. Let me propose the following: Can Muslim Americans march in St.Patrick parade while holding slogans about how great it is to be a Muslim and how holy and sacred the Quran is? Muslim Americans are contributing citizens I bet, but they're not a contributing group or establishment by any stretch.

the LGBT veterans group was denied permission to march because they wanted to carry flags rather hold signs that said "vote for gay rights" or whatever. a better example would be whether or not muslim veterans would be allowed to carry flags that represent their own pride (perhaps a star and crescent? islam isn't always that into geometric symbols).

i haven't heard of any muslim group seeking entry into the parade. it's likely because there isn't a big muslim population in boston, although i could be wrong and perhaps some groups have tried. regardless, the organizers' stance is that all veterans should be able to march if they want (numerous veteran groups carry signs). veterans societies in general aren't supposed to be prejudiced towards religion, so they'd have that going for them.

#40 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9289 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

Flaunt your sexuality somewhere else idiots....no one fucking cares anymore.

#41 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9289 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

^ This

Do these people really need to announce they're gay loud & proud wherever they go? I mean come on now.