Let's go swimming!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

So it's that time of year we can finally jump in the water without fear of hypothermia. I've dug my shit out and am patiently awaiting June 1st so I can hit the pool (not a lake swimmer, all the water around here is behind dams, warm and infested with nasty).

There's not much I'd rather do than swim, so I'm chomping at the bit.

How bout you, OT? Are you lot swimmers or sinkers?

#2 Posted by comp_atkins (31349 posts) -

i'm in

water_zps4a0307c4.jpg

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

i'm in

comp_atkins

That doesn't look like salt water, where is that?

#4 Posted by comp_atkins (31349 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

i'm in

br0kenrabbit

That doesn't look like salt water, where is that?

it is. bora bora.
#5 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

it is. bora bora. comp_atkins

Ah. I'll pass.

Salt water stinks and sticks. :evil:

#6 Posted by comp_atkins (31349 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]it is. bora bora. br0kenrabbit

Ah. I'll pass.

when it's about 85 degrees and clear, it'll do  :)

water2_zps3531a0d5.jpg

#7 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]it is. bora bora. br0kenrabbit

Ah. I'll pass.

You don't like swimming in the ocean? :o

#8 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4753 posts) -

I prefer not to go swimming and just stay inside as usual.

#9 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

sune_Gem

No. I think the ocean stinks, and I'm sticky when I get out.

#10 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

br0kenrabbit

What about in a river?

#11 Posted by comp_atkins (31349 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

br0kenrabbit

better?

6283616874_618c5e8ae5_z.jpg

#12 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I'm going away soon to a tropical location with some chums. This is just getting me a little more hyped. :D

#13 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

What about in a river?

sune_Gem

At higher altitudes, sure. Down here in the valley? No, thanks.

#14 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -
I can't swim and am terrified of drowning, which I almost did in a river when I was at 6th Form.
#15 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Swimming is great.

#16 Posted by Deadpool-n (467 posts) -

It's alright, I'm not a huge fan of swimming though.

#17 Posted by MrGeezer (56229 posts) -

So it's that time of year we can finally jump in the water without fear of hypothermia. I've dug my shit out and am patiently awaiting June 1st so I can hit the pool (not a lake swimmer, all the water around here is behind dams, warm and infested with nasty).

There's not much I'd rather do than swim, so I'm chomping at the bit.

How bout you, OT? Are you lot swimmers or sinkers?

br0kenrabbit
If the water is perfectly calm, I can manage to not die, but that's about the extent of my swimming abilities. No, I don't swim.
#18 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

If the water is perfectly calm, I can manage to not die, but that's about the extent of my swimming abilities. No, I don't swim.MrGeezer

I learned to swim pretty quickly once I figured out if I hold my breath, I float. On the converse, when I exhale I sink like a rock, but that's what treading water is for.

It's all mechanics. Once you can keep your head above water it's all about form and efficiency.

#19 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -
I used to go swimming all the time. I don't think a weekend went by that I didn't go swimming or scuba diving during the warmer months while I was on Okinawa. As a kid, I practically lived at the pool when we lived in base housing as I could ride my bike to the pool. Now I do not swim so much. Oh yeah, saltwater is great for helping one heal cuts and the like if you have them. The saltwater is antiseptic and no, it does not sting.
#20 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

The saltwater is antiseptic and no, it does not sting.WhiteKnight77

It still smells like shit.

#21 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

You smell like shit.

coolbeans90

Lies and slander! I smell like weeds.

#22 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12930 posts) -

Seaweed

coolbeans90

Yard weeds. I'm doing my first real yardwork of the year, I love it.

About to go get back on it.

#23 Posted by johnd13 (8077 posts) -

I really like swimming. All my life I' ve spent my summers near the sea.

#25 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15988 posts) -

comp_atkins

Yup. I'll take salt water that's warm over fresh water that's cold. Some examples of cold fresh water lakes I swam in are Lake Tahoe and the Great Lakes.....Lake Tahoe especially. Brrrr!

I can float quite well face down, spread-eagled barely moving on the water especially if I have a snorkel tube and mask. It's merely a matter of the body in a state of pure relaxation. But, many people seem to have a problem doing it. Me? It's a natural which is why snorkeling is one of my favorite water activity. 

As a swimmer, I'm not spectacular. But, it gets the job done. I get by with the crawl, back stroke, or breast stroke. I sometimes do the breast stroke quietly with my nostrils just above the water so I can breath continuously, like what some folks older than me do. It's almost like a cross between swimming and treading water.

#26 Posted by LZ71 (10274 posts) -
I enjoy swimming, but I'm not very good at it and don't get to go as often as I like. Pools need a membership around here, and very few people actually own pools. Though I did get to go swimming at Costa del Sol when I went to Spain, so that's something I guess. Water was absolutely freezing. :(
#27 Posted by comp_atkins (31349 posts) -

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

jun_aka_pekto

Yup. I'll take salt water that's warm over fresh water that's cold. Some examples of cold fresh water lakes I swam in are Lake Tahoe and the Great Lakes.....Lake Tahoe especially. Brrrr!

I can float quite well face down, spread-eagled barely moving on the water especially if I have a snorkel tube and mask. It's merely a matter of the body in a state of pure relaxation. But, many people seem to have a problem doing it. Me? It's a natural which is why snorkeling is one of my favorite water activity. 

As a swimmer, I'm not spectacular. But, it gets the job done. I get by with the crawl, back stroke, or breast stroke. I sometimes do the breast stroke quietly with my nostrils just above the water so I can breath continuously, like what some folks older than me do. It's almost like a cross between swimming and treading water.

haha. never swam in tahoe before ( only time i was there was in the winter ) though i jumped into lake superior once in duluth one night with some friends when we were out drinking... i had never snorkeled in salt water until recently and was surprised by how much easier it is to just float there. it was great. i enjoy swimming underwater more than on the surface though.. wish i could hold my breath a lot longer.
#28 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15988 posts) -

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]

comp_atkins

haha. never swam in tahoe before ( only time i was there was in the winter ) though i jumped into lake superior once in duluth one night with some friends when we were out drinking... i had never snorkeled in salt water until recently and was surprised by how much easier it is to just float there. it was great. i enjoy swimming underwater more than on the surface though.. wish i could hold my breath a lot longer.

You have better buoyancy in salt water because of the salt, of course. I can float easily in two feet of water or 20 feet. I try to cover my ears when underwater because at anything past 15 feet deep, I have a tendency for water to be trapped in my ears. When that happens, I get cold-like symptoms such as the sniffles in addition to difficulty in hearing which last several days. 

#29 Posted by Videodogg (12563 posts) -

Skinny Dip, anyone?