Legend of Korra anyone? (Update: now digital only)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Well, season 3 premiered with 3 episodes last night. Any thoughts?

I remember GS had some pretty good discussions here on the first season of Korra way back then.

Update 1

The season 3 premier received abysmal viewership ratings. This may have something to do with the premier being announced 1 week prior out of the blue, or the poor time slot (scheduled with shows people don't often watch). It really doesn't seem like Nick is even trying with show.

Good thing they've already produced everything through season 4, which is where the creators seem to want to stop anyways. This shouldn't effect those who enjoy the show but it's a shame to see wasted potential and resulting underexposure.

Update 2

Korra season 3 episodes (1-5) may now be watched online. Nick is no longer airing the show on their network. It's digital only

http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of-korra-videos

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Still need to finish the last half of Book 2. The first half wasn't too great so I feel behind but I hear it got much better, and hear very good things about Book 3.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I haven't had the opportunity to watch it yet. I take it the episodes will still be available for streaming on nick?

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meinhard1

Nick.com is posting trailers and interviews on their Korra page like they did with other seasons. I'd imagine/hope that episodes would follow.

Anyways, I had a friend record the episodes for me.

My impressions are very positive. I don't want to to influence anyone else's viewing by giving my own opinions but these are definitely better than early season 2.

But here are some specific thoughts for those who've seen up to episode 3:

- Lots of TLA style humor (there's a great scene in episode 2)

- As was typical of Korra season 1, things can feel a bit fast paced ... not necessarily a bad thing but there's a ton going on.

- The main villains are baaaad, as in bad-ass, not poor. They're all held in these element specific super prisons. One of them is an evil airbender (!!!), another is sparky boom woman

- Romance is toned down, Korra is wiser, we get much more Tenzin (which is GREAT), Bolin is funny without being season 2 stupid/gullible

- Animation looks great

- It's great seeing Zuko back. He even has a dragon!

- Major plus -- bender vs bender combat (not bender vs chi blocker / machine / spirit)

- Voice acting is GREAT.

- My main complaint are that things could get a bit too throwbacky, there are almost too many characters in this series and they keep introducing more while bringing back old ones, and there are these action movie cliches like the painted motorcycle thugs. Also airbender Zeppelin isn't as cool as riding around on sky bison. These are minor things, I want to see more!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Couldn't resist clicking the spoilers tag but I'm glad I did; season 2 was such a disappointment...it got better on the last few episodes but it was too little, too late and I was considering not watching the 3rd season but thanks to you, I'll give it a try ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

Thank you for the information, I did not know they had a third season now. If I get a PS4, I will defiantly get the video game provided it is good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Haven't gotten into it yet.

I'm still trying to get the GF to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender with me.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Loved the first season, but never got around to watching the second season. I had no idea they were even making a third.

Are they all up on nick.com still?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I haven't had a chance to watch the new episodes yet. I liked most of the first two seasons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@foxhound_fox said:

This just reminds me how lucky I am. I ask my wife "Do you think you'd be interested in watching/doing/playing this?" even if she says no all I have to do is ask "Can you give it a try anyway?" and she'll do it. She ended up really enjoying Avatar TLA (the first show, and the first season of Korra...she got fed up with the second season and I don't blame her).

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ferrari2001

The 1st three episodes were actually quite fantastic. It looks like they are trying to harken back more towards The Last Airbender. Lots of bending and what looks to be fantastic central villains. Still rather secretive just like the 1st season of TLA. I'm getting more excited for the rest of this season!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@korvus said:

@foxhound_fox said:

This just reminds me how lucky I am. I ask my wife "Do you think you'd be interested in watching/doing/playing this?" even if she says no all I have to do is ask "Can you give it a try anyway?" and she'll do it. She ended up really enjoying Avatar TLA (the first show, and the first season of Korra...she got fed up with the second season and I don't blame her).

Oh, I'm sure she'll like it, we just have so much other stuff we are watching, there isn't ever time.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meinhard1

TLA is a great show to watch with ones significant other. Among the show's many good qualities, it's just lighthearted and fun. It would always leave us both in a good mood.

@ferrari2001 said:

The 1st three episodes were actually quite fantastic. It looks like they are trying to harken back more towards The Last Airbender. Lots of bending and what looks to be fantastic central villains. Still rather secretive just like the 1st season of TLA. I'm getting more excited for the rest of this season!

Yeah! That's the vibe I'm getting in, a nutshell. Very TLA. Looking forward to this season!

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AutoPilotOn

@foxhound_fox: my wife refuses to watch anything even slightly anime related. I tryed to get her to watch today and she just made fun of the peoples names and fell asleep.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

Watched the news episodes and so far it seems very promising. It feels similar to S1 and The Legend of Aang.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meinhard1

Nick.com is being very slow to update, for those who haven't seen it yet.

@AutoPilotOn said:

@foxhound_fox: my wife refuses to watch anything even slightly anime related. I tryed to get her to watch today and she just made fun of the peoples names and fell asleep.

That's unfortunate. I used to have reservations about anime too since my main exposure was seemingly hyper-obsessed people in high school.

Ultimately, though, it's silly to dismiss an countries movies / TV shows. I think almost anyone can enjoy a good Miyazaki film (Japanese better-than-Disney).

And Avatar too just has really wide appeal. Different people find a lot of different things to like in the series. It's simply a great animated TV show.

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

I watch it....Bad Avatar is better than no Avatar :)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I only watched Book 1 thus far. After I complete watching Book 2, I will start on Book 3 or wait until it is on Blu-Ray.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AutoPilotOn

@Meinhard1: she loves disney too but refuses to even watch studio ghibli movies which disney releases here.

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

No bull shit:

I watched Avatar with my Family, I think at the time I had a 8 Year old, 5 Year old and 3 year old. This fucking show is the most wonderful, amazing thing we ever experienced and loved and bonded over as a family.

When the kid first put it on I was like "WTF, Japanation!!!!".

Give it 3 episodes and it will change your life!

(Kora is shit compared to original Avatar, but like I said, bad avatar is better than no Avatar)

Except for the movie, someone should die for making that!

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meinhard1

^ TLA was one of those pleasant surprises out of left field for me, too.

In a way I see what you mean. I don't think any fan could consider Korra a true replacement for TLA -- it has a different style, different storytelling, etc.

Korra is great in ways different from TLA.

In my opinion season 1 of Korra was just great animation / TV in general -- a real gem.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meinhard1

@AutoPilotOn said:

@Meinhard1: she loves disney too but refuses to even watch studio ghibli movies which disney releases here.

That sounds frustrating. One would think perhaps she'd notice that the dubbed version directed by Pixar with well known actors and actresses on board.

Of course it's normal for people to have personal aversions but... shouldn't there be a healthy willingness to look past them? What more if it's for someone close to you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Meinhard1: What do you mean "dubbed version"? The show is American. Or is Pixar dubbing it to other languages?

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meinhard1

@korvus said:

@Meinhard1: What do you mean "dubbed version"? The show is American. Or is Pixar dubbing it to other languages?

I was actually referring to the Ghibli films -- they were a part of the exchange AutoPilotOn and I had.

That would be cool if Pixar were somehow involved in dubbing Avatar in other languages. Not sure how that would work,of course.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Meinhard1: Ah, my bad =D For some reason the quote didn't show up before. Ah yes, Ghibli. Sen to Chihiro no Kimikakushi, Mononoke Hime, Tonari no Totoro, etc. Didn't know Pixar did subs for them...I normally never watch anything dubbed unless I really can't avoid it, but I trust Pixar to do a great jhob on those =D

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Meinhard1

@korvus said:

@Meinhard1: Ah, my bad =D For some reason the quote didn't show up before. Ah yes, Ghibli. Sen to Chihiro no Kimikakushi, Mononoke Hime, Tonari no Totoro, etc. Didn't know Pixar did subs for them...I normally never watch anything dubbed unless I really can't avoid it, but I trust Pixar to do a great jhob on those =D

They've done like all the films so far, actually. If you see the films in a store in here in the US, it's probably one of Pixars dubbed versions (at least from my experience). These were my first exposure to the films ... people who are familiar with the original tend not to like these dubbed versions, even though the quality of the dub is very good. I still need to see the original versions subbed, sometime. There's definitely an appeal to hearing how the voices / voice acting were originally intended to sound.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Meinhard1: Yeah, there's always something lost in the translation, no matter how good a job the translators do. I always read books in the original language when at all possible (and if I can read in the original language, of course XD) so when I started watching anime I preferred to watch it in the original language, and although I still need to use the subtitles I can get the context from the original audio, and most dubs tend to not be able to capture that Japanese (over)emotion, that is now so characteristic to me on anime.

Centurion95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Centurion95
Member since 2009 • 498 Posts

The original series TLA was one of the best surprises I ever had on Nick, and to this day its one of my most favorite of all animated series. Legend of Korra is different from TLA, which will account for a lot of the hate it gets. But just because its different doesn't mean its terrible. In fact I will admit it has grown on me. Where as the core story of TLA, that of Aang, was phenomenal and flushed out Korra's draw is the side characters and lore. In all I'd say its the best show on Nick now, not as good as TLA 10/10 but a solid 8/10 to 8.5/10 in my book that's worth watching.

Besides this season is still young, who knows how much better it can get.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meinhard1

After premiering the first 3 episodes on the 30th, 2 more came out last Friday.

I haven't seen the 5th episode yet, but the first 4 are great so far.

I's a shame there's still no way to legally purchase episodes or watch online.

To be honest I've been settling for a passable quality stream off some random website.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ferrari2001

This season keeps getting better and better. Hopefully it just continues to get better.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Meinhard1

The first few Season 3 episodes are now available on Amazon. You may be able to watch the first one for free (not sure if that's for everyone, or a perk of having Prime).

Anyways Nick is deliberately not making the episodes available online in order to encourage fans to tune in.

I won't keep bumping this as often if there isn't enough interest in discussing this season. I may wait a few weeks, at least.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Meinhard1

Bumping with a mixture of good/bad news: Season 3 may now be watched legally online. However the fact it is no longer airing on Nick is unfortunate. Luckily for fans Season 4 (which is intended to be the final season) is already far along in production.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

So now that the show is getting better, Nick drops it?