Lebron James leave Miami be a disgrace?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Jd1680a (5898 posts) -

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/19064/grip-on-lebron-strong-as-heat-visit-ohio

Apparently there is some news on Lebron James being a free agent next summer and once again the hype over what team he should pick next would be a media sensation. The link to the article is spreading rumors of where Lebron James would end up playing and Cavaliers is begging for him to come back.

Would it be a disgrace to the Miami Fans for him to leave the Heat so he could get paid more money? Lebron James with the help of the rest of the Miami team have been to the NBA Championship three times in a row and won two of them. He could very well win two or three more championships for the Heat by the time he decides to retire.

James isn't hurting for money either, he gets paid $19 million a year plus probably get the same amount from endorsements. Nike would make an entire product line, like Jordan, and sell it years after he retires and the mean time gets paid $5 million a year to use his name. Lebron James could just play basketball for the rest of his days in the NBA just for the fun of it.

#2 Edited by Aljosa23 (24306 posts) -

Sports are a business + entertainment. Anyone who thinks a player needs to be attached 100% to a team is naive. It's his time, money, and effort, he should go where ever he wants. Hell, I think it'd be great if he goes somewhere else. He's already proved that he can win in Miami so let's see if he can win else where.

#3 Edited by thegerg (14413 posts) -

That question makes no sense.

#4 Posted by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

LeBron should go back to Cleveland.

#5 Posted by BetaVulgaris (34 posts) -

Sorry, I'm not that into Baseball. Lebron is the tall black guy, right?

#6 Edited by JML897 (33111 posts) -

He'll probably stay in Miami but how would this be a "disgrace" to Miami fans if he left? Surely they of all people would understand because that's exactly the way they got him in the first place.

#7 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9288 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

that would be some funny shit.

But they dont have the money

#8 Posted by worlock77 (22533 posts) -

@Jd1680a said:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/19064/grip-on-lebron-strong-as-heat-visit-ohio

Apparently there is some news on Lebron James being a free agent next summer and once again the hype over what team he should pick next would be a media sensation. The link to the article is spreading rumors of where Lebron James would end up playing and Cavaliers is begging for him to come back.

Would it be a disgrace to the Miami Fans for him to leave the Heat so he could get paid more money? Lebron James with the help of the rest of the Miami team have been to the NBA Championship three times in a row and won two of them. He could very well win two or three more championships for the Heat by the time he decides to retire.

James isn't hurting for money either, he gets paid $19 million a year plus probably get the same amount from endorsements. Nike would make an entire product line, like Jordan, and sell it years after he retires and the mean time gets paid $5 million a year to use his name. Lebron James could just play basketball for the rest of his days in the NBA just for the fun of it.

Yeah he could play just for the fun of it, but why should he? Does he not have the right to market his labor just like anyone else?

#9 Posted by mattbbpl (10553 posts) -

@Jd1680a said:

Regarding the highlighted question, I don't see how. That's how Miami got him in the first place.

Well, replace "more money" with "a ring".

#10 Posted by Master_Live (13627 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

This. I want the full circle.

#11 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

It's like in relationships, if a man leaves a woman to be with another woman, she should expect that he'll eventually do the same thing to her. Miami Heat fans should be well aware of this... he left the team that drafted him to be with them, so what makes them think he won't do the same to them?

#12 Posted by themajormayor (25647 posts) -

Who?

#13 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149520 posts) -

Basketball...meh.

#14 Posted by sSubZerOo (42945 posts) -

It's like in relationships, if a man leaves a woman to be with another woman, she should expect that he'll eventually do the same thing to her. Miami Heat fans should be well aware of this... he left the team that drafted him to be with them, so what makes them think he won't do the same to them?

.. Why would you ever compare relationships to professional sports? A player does not hold some kind of special allegiance to the team that drafted them after the contract comes up, nor does it make the player any worse or less trustworthy if they go for the better deal..

#15 Posted by GreySeal9 (23939 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

.. Why would you ever compare relationships to professional sports? A player does not hold some kind of special allegiance to the team that drafted them after the contract comes up, nor does it make the player any worse or less trustworthy if they go for the better deal..

I thought that was a bit of a daft comparison as well.

#16 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

@huggybear1020 said:

I'm referring to Miami fans who are all in a huff about the possibility of him leaving. Not all players are like this. Tim Duncan (back in his prime) had the opportunity to go play in Orlando where they were going to build a very talented team around him, but he declined because he loved his fans in San Antonio.

#17 Posted by sSubZerOo (42945 posts) -

@sSubZerOo said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I thought that was a bit of a daft comparison as well.

These people better not pay too close attention to football or baseball if they think it is rare that players move around..

#18 Posted by Aljosa23 (24306 posts) -

Who?

Do you live under a rock on the moon? LeBron James is like the third most recognizable athlete on the planet.

#19 Edited by dodgerblue13 (20835 posts) -

@Jd1680a said:

Lol it's been "news" for years.

An ESPN article spreading rumors? That sounds typical.

Chris Bosh might leave. The Heat aren't going to win the title this year, and there's no reason to think they're a guarantee to win another in the next few years.

LeBron isn't playing "for the fun of it." He gets trashed for having fun when he does, but he's trying to become the best ever.

#20 Posted by dodgerblue13 (20835 posts) -

@nomsayin said:

that would be some funny shit.

But they dont have the money

They have the space to offer him a max deal next summer. What are you talking about?

#21 Posted by Master_Live (13627 posts) -

@Jd1680a said:

The Heat aren't going to win the title this year,

And you know that how?

#22 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

If I was him I'd stay in Miami. I'm pretty sure the average person would rather live in Miami than Cleveland anyday.

#23 Posted by themajormayor (25647 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@themajormayor said:

Who?

Do you live under a rock on the moon? LeBron James is like the third most recognizable athlete on the planet.

NA is not the planet

#24 Posted by worlock77 (22533 posts) -

If I was him I'd stay in Miami. I'm pretty sure the average person would rather live in Miami than Cleveland anyday.

Lebron isn't exactly an average person.

#25 Posted by Aljosa23 (24306 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@themajormayor said:

Who?

NA is not the planet

Okay? Basketball is popular all over the world especially in places like China and Eastern Europe.

#26 Posted by dodgerblue13 (20835 posts) -

And you know that how?

Sorry. I guess I should have made it clear that I am not clairvoyant and that my statement was just an opinion.

#27 Posted by Master_Live (13627 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

And you know that how?

Sorry. I guess I should have made it clear that I am not clairvoyant and that my statement was just an opinion.

Or provide the reasoning behind your statement.

#28 Posted by themajormayor (25647 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

@themajormayor said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@themajormayor said:

Who?

NA is not the planet

Okay? Basketball is popular all over the world especially in places like China and Eastern Europe.

Doesn't mean he is the third most recognizable athlete.

#29 Edited by fueled-system (6227 posts) -

@themajormayor said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@themajormayor said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@themajormayor said:

Who?

NA is not the planet

Doesn't mean he is the third most recognizable athlete.

SMH....how can you not know him by now?

As far as thread he brought two titles to Miami in three years pretty sure he can do what he wants

#30 Edited by worlock77 (22533 posts) -

I doubt Lebron James is the third most recognizable athlete in the US, let alone on the planet.