Le parkour: Incredibly stupid, incredibly dangerous, incredibly cool

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74217 posts) -

If you don't know what le parkour is, you can finda ton of it on YouTube, such as this video. Le parkour is really cool to watch. These people are incredibly agile, and quite obviously very brave. However, jumping from rooftop to rooftop with no safety net or anything is pretty damn dumb if you ask me. I'm sure there have been very nasty spills becausea jump went wrong or a grab slipped, but still, I just can't help but be amazed by it. It's also nice to know that the best of le parkour performers can land jobs as stuntment. I don't think I'd ever have the guts to do some of this stuff, though. :o

#2 Posted by The_Zoid (59973 posts) -

Is that those people who like do all kinds of crazy stuff on building structures and jump around cities and such? :?

It's cool, but kinda strange IMO.

#3 Posted by g-unit248 (7197 posts) -
its definitely impressive, but a pretty stupid activity if you ask me
#4 Posted by Spazoid (446 posts) -
I am one of the people that does that stuff, I even know some people in that video...

It's very fun, and only dangerous IF you're reckless, you only do stuff that is in the range of your own abilities.
#5 Posted by funnymario (9121 posts) -
I've seen this kind of stuff before. Impressive? Aw, hell yeah. Stupid? Aw HEELLLZZ yeah.
#6 Posted by FlaminDeath (4181 posts) -

If it doesn't involve fliping or falling 15 feet I can do it. In other words I can do the non flashy stuff. :roll:

Oh well after watching this Assassins Creed seems so much more realistic. :P

#8 Posted by tazzydnc (3874 posts) -
how do they fall such great distances without breaking anything?  I know there's ways to fall be good God they are like jumpint off two stories diong a backflip, landing walking away. 
#9 Posted by jt222_us (1858 posts) -

its definitely impressive, but a pretty stupid activity if you ask meg-unit248

I agree with you. It's just asking for bones to get broke. But the sad part is that when I was around that age, I tried the same crap, except my buddies and I didn't have anything fancy to go by, we just tried to see who could jump from the highest tree or roof without breaking a bone, let alone doing backflips off something. I finally jumped from 20ft up the oak tree one day cause there was a big pile of hay beneath that I thought would protect me. Boy was I wrong. I didn't break any bones, but I learned that gravity wins.

#10 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74217 posts) -

how do they fall such great distances without breaking anything? I know there's ways to fall be good God they are like jumpint off two stories diong a backflip, landing walking away.tazzydnc

They know how to take the impact of the landing - think shock absorbers.

#11 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74217 posts) -

I am one of the people that does that stuff, I even know some people in that video...

It's very fun, and only dangerous IF you're reckless, you only do stuff that is in the range of your own abilities.
Spazoid

Then your name is very befitting. :P Anyway, how do you set up a stunt? I mean, do you gauge it and just know you can make the jump? Or do you do like a practice jump, or map it out on paper with calculations and stuff?

#12 Posted by Quadrifoglio (5451 posts) -
I'd **** myself if I tried that!
#13 Posted by The-0ne (2785 posts) -
Rise Against + Parkour = WIN on so many levels.
#14 Posted by tarunramesh (1188 posts) -

how do they fall such great distances without breaking anything? I know there's ways to fall be good God they are like jumpint off two stories diong a backflip, landing walking away. tazzydnc

me and my freind have practiced a bit of parkour and one of the big things you much learn is rolling, i swear falling from 3-4 m without rolling is like meh but it does hurt a bit, but if u roll like all the pain goes away

i geuss thats where do a barrel roll came from :lol:

#15 Posted by solidgamer (7542 posts) -

i would do it....

if i could not feel pain

#16 Posted by timmotool (1761 posts) -
Ive always wanted to try stuff like this, but their arent many good places to freerun here.
#17 Posted by Selrath (3333 posts) -
Got 2 friends that's doing similar to that, ye, they aren't so good at it but they are practicing, I would really join them but they are totally out of my league. They're pretty muscular and pretty flexible.
#18 Posted by xtn702 (4203 posts) -
its definitely impressive, but a pretty stupid activity if you ask meg-unit248
I agree
#19 Posted by The-0ne (2785 posts) -
Got 2 friends that's doing similar to that, ye, they aren't so good at it but they are practicing, I would really join them but they are totally out of my league. They're pretty muscular and pretty flexible. Selrath
Sorry but this ^^^ And this "[WORLD OF WARCRAFT] Level 70 Night elf rogue Dernak. Server: Eu-Burning Legion" made me laugh.
#20 Posted by Rekunta (8275 posts) -

how do they fall such great distances without breaking anything? I know there's ways to fall be good God they are like jumpint off two stories diong a backflip, landing walking away.tazzydnc

They immediately buckle their knees upon impact and roll, which disperses the energyfrom the momentum of the fall. Of course this only works up until a certain height, but that's how they do it.

#21 Posted by SlashDementia3 (4224 posts) -
(mortal kombat voice) Impressive.
This is crazy, I thought only the Prince of Persia could do that...
#23 Posted by ferrari2001 (17003 posts) -

It takes skill to do I'll give them that but it's incredibly stupid. Congratulations you've mastered jumping over things. Now go do something with your life.

#24 Posted by deeliman (2451 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

It takes skill to do I'll give them that but it's incredibly stupid. Congratulations you've mastered jumping over things. Now go do something with your life.

It takes more skill to find these dinosaur threads

#25 Posted by thebest31406 (3440 posts) -

Le parkour is cool. I saw an action movie featuring it. I think it was actually called 'Parkour'

#26 Posted by ferrari2001 (17003 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@ferrari2001 said:

It takes more skill to find these dinosaur threads

lol i just now noticed that. 6 years, damn, this thread has been around on this site about as long as I have.

#27 Posted by MonsieurX (30459 posts) -

6 years ago

#28 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3953 posts) -

i heard parrkour was huge in iran.

super random