Language with the largest vocabulary

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Guyper
Member since 2004 • 3879 Posts
Do you think it's English which has the largest vocabulary than others?
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts
Im pretty sure its Chinese.
FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts
Im pretty sure its Chinese.Zerocrossings
Yeah, I think every cyllable is a word. I could be wrong.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
English is most definitely not the language with the largest vocabulary.
drnick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 drnick7
Member since 2004 • 995 Posts
Actually, English is most likely the language with the most words.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Chinese is really funky. It's more of a language family with a bunch of different dialects. 

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Thai and Khmer have pretty big vocabularies.

The Khmer language has has 33 consonants and 24 vowels  

Thai is similar with 44 consonants and 30 vowels.

irelevent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 irelevent
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts

Shad0ki11

you seem to have Vocabulary confused with consonants and vowels, nubcake.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shad0ki11
[QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

irelevent

You can make so many different words out of those though. 

irelevent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 irelevent
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts
[QUOTE="irelevent"][QUOTE="Shad0ki11"]

Shad0ki11

yea, but with more vowels and consonants, you need less words.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shad0ki11
[QUOTE="Shad0ki11"][QUOTE="irelevent"]

irelevent

yea, but with more vowels and consonants, you need less words.

Bah. Fine. 

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts
I would say English. It has sooooo many different words even I get confused by it.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
that sounds about right
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

:lol: at the people saying English. 

I'd say one of the Asian languages. Just look at Japanese and Chinese...they've got different words describing one thing depending on your mood. 

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 efrucht
Member since 2008 • 1596 Posts

In english we have a word for almost everything.

In chinese, this is not the case. They must combine certain words to name things.

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 efrucht
Member since 2008 • 1596 Posts

I'd say one of the Asian languages. Just look at Japanese and Chinese...they've got different words describing one thing depending on your mood. 

jointed
So does english. English has everything. :)
Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
Probably Spanish, It was a huge amount of regionalisms, word variants and verb conjugations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Wrong, not in the same way. I'm talking about the describing 'articles'.
Notsogr8one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Notsogr8one
Member since 2004 • 3739 Posts

It actually appears to be English (unless you count something like Finnish which has the potential for an infinite number of words). This explains it pretty well: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=512132

English is the most "Universal" of all languages and thus, as it has many many words from many other languages has a vast vocabulary. The rest is better described in that link.

gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts

It is actually English:

http://www.hello-online.ru/knowhow.php?comid=70

http://esl.fis.edu/grammar/langdiff/english.htm

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/JohnnyLing.shtml

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

English is, most languages only have one word that describe something while English has several.

It's because English has many "parental" languages like French, German, Latin, Gaelic, Spanish etc.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts
You could probably stretch it to be just about any modern language depending on your definition of the word "word".
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

jointed

my sister speaks fluent Japanese and says it is the exact opposite. There can be one word, but depending on how you say it the word can mean 10 different things. That is why Japanese is so challenging to learn.

ChevelleFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChevelleFan
Member since 2004 • 1783 Posts

jointed

I am pretty sure English has one of the most extensive if not the largest vocabulary of any language. If you think about it there is a word for almost everything. In Asian languages such as Japanese there are actually loan words adapted from English to Japanese. For example the word for cheese in Japanese is chizu. This means that there are words that did not originally exist in languages like Japanese but must be adopted to accomodate a language such as English. Of course my example was not the best. In any case I don't believe that different politeness levels count as different words either. To those arguing that Chinese has a word for every syllable, well that is mostly true but it does not mean that you need a different syllable to make a new word. Chinese uses the tones of syllables extensively to create new words. For example "shi" can be translated many different ways depending on which of the four tones it uses. In one case "shi" may be used as the verb of being and in another it may mean the number ten. One should be aware that when I say Chinese I am referring to Mandarin as it is the only dialect I have experience in. I may be wrong in some of my arguments as I am by no means a linguist, but I am not coming from a completely uninformed position either as I am currently studying Japanese and Chinese as well as having already taken three years of Latin.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

my sister speaks fluent Japanese and says it is the exact opposite. There can be one word, but depending on how you say it the word can mean 10 different things. That is why Japanese is so challenging to learn.

mrbojangles25

Describing 'articles'...you know? Wakarimashidte (t is censored), Wakarimasu..etc.

This same logic can be used on Finnish, wich would have an almost infinite amount of words. 

ChevelleFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChevelleFan
[QUOTE="jointed"]

mrbojangles25

It is more so in Chinese I think. I am not saying that your sister is wrong, but ten different ways is a bit of an exaggeration. Japanese and any other east Asian languages such as Korean or Chinese is naturally more difficult for a Westerner to learn because the writing system and grammar is totally different. Not only must one learn to read and write a language like Japanese from scratch but the intonation of the voice and pronunciation of syllables can be hard to master as many do not exist in a language like English.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

ChevelleFan

I am pretty sure English has one of the most extensive if not the largest vocabulary of any language. If you think about it there is a word for almost everything. In Asian languages such as Japanese there are actually loan words adapted from English to Japanese. For example the word for cheese in Japanese is chizu. This means that there are words that did not originally exist in languages like Japanese but must be adopted to accomodate a language such as English. Of course my example was not the best. In any case I don't believe that different politeness levels count as different words either. To those arguing that Chinese has a word for every syllable, well that is mostly true but it does not mean that you need a different syllable to make a new word. Chinese uses the tones of syllables extensively to create new words. For example "shi" can be translated many different ways depending on which of the four tones it uses. In one case "shi" may be used as the verb of being and in another it may mean the number ten. One should be aware that when I say Chinese I am referring to Mandarin as it is the only dialect I have experience in. I may be wrong in some of my arguments as I am by no means a linguist, but I am not coming from a completely uninformed position either as I am currently studying Japanese and Chinese as well as having already taken three years of Latin.

Wait, if you've been studying latin for 3 years, you'd know that English has borrowed words from both the Spanish, French and Lain languages. Does these words not count all of a sudden or what?

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

Describing 'articles'...you know? Wakarimashidte (t is censored), Wakarimasu..etc.

This same logic can be used on Finnish, wich would have an almost infinite amount of words. 

jointed

Which is true, in that sense you're correct. However, many of those words are like Contractions. Or combinations of two or more words.

English is the language that has the most defined words.

ChevelleFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ChevelleFan
[QUOTE="ChevelleFan"][QUOTE="jointed"]

jointed

Wait, if you've been studying latin for 3 years, you'd know that English has borrowed words from both the Spanish, French and Lain languages. Does these words not count all of a sudden or what?

Italian, Spanish, French, etc. were all derived from Latin, so I guess we exclude them because none of those languages count :roll:. The point I was trying to get at is that English does not contain direct imitations of Spanish or Latin words (yes there are some actual French words used in English). English is derived from Latin to get words like "perfect" which comes from the Latin "per + facit" which literally means thoroughly made. Derived words from Latin is what makes up a large majority of the English language but it is not like people developed English and then realized that they needed to adopt Latin words for things they did not originally have words for. I am not trying to knock on the Asian languages which I think are far more beautiful than any Western language, but you can't argue that some words in Japanese are not taken directly from English especially when they are written in Katakana (the Japanese script used mostly for foreign words). I am not saying that those words don't count, I am just trying to show that English obviously has alot of words that some languages don't have native words for. I also stated that I wasn't claiming that English was the definate answer to the question posed by the TC.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

jointed

actually I speak japanese and I think your wrong, the language is much more simple than english vocabulary wise. I mean check a thesaurus, english has like 10 words that can mean the same exact thing.

6_volts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 6_volts
Member since 2008 • 5520 Posts

Probably Spanish, It was a huge amount of regionalisms, word variants and verb conjugations.Tuky06
Did you mean the Spanish from Spain or Spanish from Latin America? Because some words in the Latin American Spanish are not in the Real Academia Espanola.
SupraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 SupraGT
Member since 2003 • 8150 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="jointed"]

ChevelleFan

It is more so in Chinese I think. I am not saying that your sister is wrong, but ten different ways is a bit of an exaggeration. Japanese and any other east Asian languages such as Korean or Chinese is naturally more difficult for a Westerner to learn because the writing system and grammar is totally different. Not only must one learn to read and write a language like Japanese from scratch but the intonation of the voice and pronunciation of syllables can be hard to master as many do not exist in a language like English.

i've started to study chinese and i am amazed at how a lot of the sentence structure is similar to english.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I am pretty sure Chinese has one of the smallest vocabularies. Something like 1800 words. They combine words to form other words... "lighting talk" is telephone.

English has the largest vocabulary; 550,000 entires in the Webster's English dictionary.
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zerocrossings

[QUOTE="Zerocrossings"]Im pretty sure its Chinese.foxhound_fox

I am pretty sure Chinese has one of the smallest vocabularies. Something like 1800 words. They combine words to form other words... "lighting talk" is telephone.

English has the largest vocabulary; 550,000 entires in the Webster's English dictionary.

Exactly. And theres tons of combinations you can make with 1800 characters (Im pretty sure there are more though).

SupraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SupraGT

[QUOTE="Zerocrossings"]Im pretty sure its Chinese.foxhound_fox

yeah, dian hua

electric vision= dian shi= tv  lol

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zerocrossings

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Zerocrossings"]Im pretty sure its Chinese.SupraGT

yeah, dian hua

electric vision= dian shi= tv lol

And electric brain=dian nao= PC :lol:

SupraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SupraGT
[QUOTE="SupraGT"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

English has the largest vocabulary; 550,000 entires in the Webster's English dictionary.Zerocrossings

yeah, dian hua

electric vision= dian shi= tv lol

And electric brain=dian nao= PC :lol:

yeah, it's awesome :lol:

it's funny bc movie is electric shadow (dianying), so im guessing they got it form projectors.

Viking_1298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Viking_1298
Member since 2007 • 377 Posts
Icelandic is probably one of the most difficult languages to master because the names of their towns sounds absurd to me.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

I don't know.

All I know is that Chinese is ****ing hard, and I'm a Chinese who speaks chinese everyday.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
English.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

Well I think it's french.

It's widely considered one of the hardest language to learn and master, waaay more than English or Spanish or even Arabic.

I speak the four of them, mainly french, english and arabic, but I don't master Spanish at all, and French is very hard.

And as far as I know, French has much more words than English. 

But that's just me. There are over 7000 languages across the Earth. 

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
Definitly english. Doesn't it have around 550k words? English just rabidly borrows words from other languages all the time. Definitely the largest vocabulary.
6_volts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 6_volts
Member since 2008 • 5520 Posts

It's widely considered one of the hardest language to learn and master, waaay more than English or Spanish or even Arabic.

I speak the four of them, mainly french, english and arabic, but I don't master Spanish at all, and French is very hard.

BaraChat
That's the problem, if you haven't mastered Spanish, you don't know how hard it can be for a foreign to learn it.
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

And as far as I know, French has much more words than English. 

BaraChat

REALLY? I shouldn't have taken french in highschool :?

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts
[QUOTE="BaraChat"]

6_volts

That's the problem, if you haven't mastered Spanish, you don't know how hard it can be for a foreign to learn it.

Yeah I agree I can't put myself in other people's shoes. But I said that French is "widely considered" one of the hardest language to learn.

Of course I am a wee bit biased because I live in a french speaking country (I'm Lebanese, actually). But I've learned english easily, although I'm no Tolkien.

If I could I would just go on and learn portuguese, german, japanese, hindi, afrikaan, russian, thai, anything.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

It's impossible to know the world's largest language in terms of vocabulary; however, English, as it comes from a long line of different languages and their mixtures, is most certainly a contender, if it could only be proven, as English has over 500,000 words and over 1 million if you count scientific words.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Vocabulary