Kids in US need a bullet proof vest to go to school

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#202  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@MrGeezer: @MW2ismygame:

I agree with you on your points MrGeezer, someone who is mentally ill or depressed or whatever may not even know they are mentally ill so if they don't come forward an say I'm mentally ill how do you judge who's mentally ill, the quiet one in the corner who finds it hard to make friends is he mentally ill or just socially arkward, would that kid appreciate being approached and having his sanity challenged, or having forced lessons in how to be more engaging with people, that kind of measure could tip a quiet socially arkward person into a depression.

Also you never know what can tip a person over the edge someone can be of sound mind one minute then a few unfortunate events can send them in a state of insanity and if they have access to a gun....

So to say better mental health care would solve things is unrealistic I reckon, what is it that's wrong with mental health care now?

Maybe better counselling for people being bullied might help, but the people being bullied don't always come forward.

Maybe bullies need to be dealt with more harshly as the mental and physical abuse can cause suicides. Maybe give the bully some counselling see what his problem is, it might be the fact the the bully is being bullied or abused at home.

Maybe better social services would help so kids abused by there parents are not left to become mentally ill or become bullies which can cause whoever they are bullying to become mentally ill.

Again the point arises of how do you know if a kid is being abused, which brings us back to the quiet kid, I don't think it would do any harm if the home life and parents of the child were observed just to make sure everything was ok at home, same could be done with a kid who is found to be a bully.

Parents should not take offence to this measure as it's just a precautionary measure to make sure everything is ok at home, and if the parents do kick up a fuss that might be an indication that something is wrong. And then further actions can be taken.

I think this kind of measure could reduce mental illness and in return reduce any negative affects that mental illness could cause.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#203 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

As others have said the media obsesses over these shootings creating a climate of fear even though the likelihood of such a thing happening is rather small (of course schools should still take appropriate measures to be able to prevent such shootings or to minimize the duration and casualties of shootings).

Also I don't really think it's fair for Europeans to say that the U.S. is crazy because we have more guns and more shootings than they do. At least Americans don't have big riots over soccer teams. As a matter of fact when was the last time America had a major riot, probably the LA riots in the 1990s? But weren't there big riots in Britain and France a few years ago, with buildings being set on fire? Plus haven't many European countries had significant issues with domestic terrorist groups, like the Red Brigades in Italy? And America did not start either world war, Europeans started those both and dreamed up the insane ideologies of Nazism and Communism. So tell me, who's really the crazy ones here. Sounds more like Europe is.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@whipassmt said:

As others have said the media obsesses over these shootings creating a climate of fear even though the likelihood of such a thing happening is rather small (of course schools should still take appropriate measures to be able to prevent such shootings or to minimize the duration and casualties of shootings).

Fortunately or unfortunately, there's not a lot to be done about that. The news media is in the business of selling entertainment, they only obsess over those shootings because the public demands it. Remember, they're only giving us what we want. To tell them that they can't sensationalize these stories would be a serious breach of their first amendment rights, and they're not gonna voluntarily stop publishing these stories until their audience stops demonstrating that they want them.

The news media is in the business of giving what viewers and readers want. So before we lay the blame at their feet, I think maybe we should start examining why people love to see these kinds of stories.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#205  Edited By Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@MrGeezer: "Fortunately or unfortunately, there's not a lot to be done about that. The news media is in the business of selling entertainment, they only obsess over those shootings because the public demands it. Remember, they're only giving us what we want. To tell them that they can't sensationalize these stories would be a serious breach of their first amendment rights, and they're not gonna voluntarily stop publishing these stories until their audience stops demonstrating that they want them"

"The news media is in the business of giving what viewers and readers want. So before we lay the blame at their feet, I think maybe we should start examining why people love to see these kinds of stories"

you really think the media shows these stories because people "love"hearing about children being shot and killed while at school. You think the public are that blood thirsty.

The news media are in the business of providing news, what would you rather that everyone be kept in the dark about the problems in the world, and pretend that everything is fine?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@xeno_ghost said:

@MrGeezer: "Fortunately or unfortunately, there's not a lot to be done about that. The news media is in the business of selling entertainment, they only obsess over those shootings because the public demands it. Remember, they're only giving us what we want. To tell them that they can't sensationalize these stories would be a serious breach of their first amendment rights, and they're not gonna voluntarily stop publishing these stories until their audience stops demonstrating that they want them"

"The news media is in the business of giving what viewers and readers want. So before we lay the blame at their feet, I think maybe we should start examining why people love to see these kinds of stories"

you really think the media shows these stories because people "love"hearing about children being shot and killed while at school. You think the public are that blood thirsty.

The news media are in the business of providing news and like it or not a school shooting occurring is news, what would you rather that everyone pretend it didn't happen, and not raise awareness of a rising problem.

Yeah, except that they can't possibly provide all news. Which means that it's good business to provide the news that is popular. Their goal is to provide content that keeps people visiting their website or watching their TV channel, same as Comedy Central or A&E. They're absolutely part of the entertainment industry, and you don't last in the entertainment industry without giving your audience what they want.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#207 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@airshocker said:

@chaoscougar1 said:

@airshocker said:

@chaoscougar1 said:

lol

Fucking amazing

I agree, freedom is fucking amazing. Stopping tyrants like yourself makes it even more satisfying.

hahahahaha

You mean, the freedoms that aren't already illegal?

The difference between me and you is that I think most things should be legal while you believe the only things that should be legal are the things that you like.

With reach like that, you could be a boxer