Kids in US need a bullet proof vest to go to school

#1 Posted by Xeno_ghost (675 posts) -

http://m.smh.com.au/world/bodyguard-blanket-the-latest-bulletproof-product-to-protect-us-students-during-school-shootings-20140610-zs2wk.html

Wow!! You know things are fucked up in your country when you need to send your child to school with a bullet proof blanket. I just can't imagine what it's like as a parent in the US sending your child to school and hoping that no crazy ass mofo decides he's having a bad day and is gonna shoot up the school.

This is craziness. What if anything can be done???

#2 Posted by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

A bullet proof vest usually only protects its wearer from standard pistol rounds. It won't do you much when a crazy comes in with an AK-47 or any rifle, actually.

#3 Edited by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -

lets call this what is really is: someone trying to profit off of fear of school shootings.

the odds your child is actually going to be involved in a school shooting incident. even in the "gun crazy" US is astronomically low.

#4 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

lets call this what is really is: someone trying to profit off of fear of school shootings.

the odds your child is actually going to be involved in a school shooting incident. even in the "gun crazy" US is astronomically low.

While true, the odds are also astronomically higher in the U.S. than in other developed nations.

#5 Posted by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

While true, the odds are also astronomically higher in the U.S. than in other developed nations.

Since gun suicides usually outnumber gun homicides by two-to-one, you're twice as likely to turn a gun on yourself over someone shooting you, yet no one gives a flying fuck about suicides. Most geniuses of this country will simply blow them off, calling them selfish and saying they'll go to hell. Typical bullshit. It seems people would rather keep mental illness a stigma and just call them selfish if they kill themselves.

And gang shooting homicides outnumber school shooting homicides, and no one gives a crap about that. Most of us will simply say it's just another day in Chicago. Hell, you're far more likely to meet your maker in a car. No matter which way you cut it, you put your life on the line every time you get in your car. A car accident is still far more likely to kill you than some random lunatic with a Glock. And until everyone has a self-driving car, I'm sure traffic deaths will continue to outnumber gun deaths. Yet, it seems nothing is being done about that.

And a slightly different subject...

All the media does is sensationalize the killer, spread his name everywhere, and make him famous. Most people know the name of the killer, but rarely the names of the victims. The media practically puts the killer on a fucking pedestal, and then we wonder why such shootings are increasing in number. Some fuck up will see it on TV and believe himself to be some kind of martyr if he goes out and unloads a few magazines into a crowd. Man, it's all just fucking sickening.

#6 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@comp_atkins said:

Since gun suicides usually outnumber gun homicides by two-to-one, you're twice as likely to turn a gun on yourself over someone shooting you, yet no one gives a flying fuck about suicides. Most geniuses of this country will simply blow them off, calling them selfish and saying they'll go to hell. Typical bullshit. It seems people would rather keep mental illness a stigma and just call them selfish if they kill themselves.

And gang shooting homicides outnumber school shooting homicides, and no one gives a crap about that. Most of us will simply say it's just another day in Chicago. Hell, you're far more likely to meet your maker in a car. No matter which way you cut it, you put your life on the line every time you get in your car. A car accident is still far more likely to kill you than some random lunatic with a Glock. And until everyone has a self-driving car, I'm sure traffic deaths will continue to outnumber gun deaths. Yet, it seems nothing is being done about that.

All the media does is sensationalize the killer, spread his name everywhere, and make him famous. Most people know the name of the killer, but rarely the names of the victims. The media practically puts the killer on a fucking pedestal, and then we wonder why such shootings are increasing in number. Some fuck up will see it on TV and believe himself to be some kind of martyr if he goes out and unloads a few magazines into a crowd. Man, it's all just fucking sickening.

I feel like you're responding to me to contradict something I said, yet I agree with everything you said.

#7 Edited by Mercuria1_King (276 posts) -

Parents need to be parents instead of trying to be their kid's best friend.

#8 Posted by Dogswithguns (10701 posts) -

not only that, people can get shot by going to a movie. or a shopping mall., crazy people around here. people so used to, it it's a norm.

#9 Edited by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@comp_atkins said:

I feel like you're responding to me to contradict something I said, yet I agree with everything you said.

Oh, sorry. I'm just ranting, that's all. :P

#10 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@comp_atkins said:

Is 'kay when your rants agree with mine. We should form a club and rant at each other all day. We can call it "Congress."

#11 Edited by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

@gamerguru100 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@comp_atkins said:

Is 'kay when your rants agree with mine. We should form a club and rant at each other all day. We can call it "Congress."

LMAO, it would be fitting considering that's all Congress does.

#12 Posted by joehult (363 posts) -

Your house could fall in a sink hole and kill you. Your dog could attack your kid and kill them. A tornado can get you. Lightning, choking on food, heart attack, asthma attack, sudden allergic reaction, snakes, spiders, mountain lion, slipping and hitting your head, carbon monoxide build up, bacteria, virus, hit by a train, hit by a hockey puck, falling more than 6 feet, grease fire, radiation, diabetes.....

Are all things more people die from than a school shooting.

#13 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@joehult said:

Your house could fall in a sink hole and kill you. Your dog could attack your kid and kill them. A tornado can get you. Lightning, choking on food, heart attack, asthma attack, sudden allergic reaction, snakes, spiders, mountain lion, slipping and hitting your head, carbon monoxide build up, bacteria, virus, hit by a train, hit by a hockey puck, falling more than 6 feet, grease fire, radiation, diabetes.....

And yet, we can prevent school shootings!

#14 Posted by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

@joehult said:

More people die to mountain lions and hockey pucks than school shootings? Interesting. I also didn't think people often get hit by trains. I guess alcohol often plays a role in those.

#15 Posted by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

i agree.. but to claim kids "need" something like this to go to school is ridiculous.

#16 Posted by Xeno_ghost (675 posts) -

@gamerguru100: "The media practically puts the killer on a fucking pedestal, and then we wonder why such shootings are increasing in number. Some fuck up will see it on TV and believe himself to be some kind of martyr if he goes out and unloads a few magazines into a crowd. Man, it's all just fucking sickening"

Totally agree with that, but I guess the news of a school shooting will get out some how, even if it's not televised or reported in the papers.

"the odds your child is actually going to be involved in a school shooting incident. even in the "gun crazy" US is astronomically low"

Seems like you are trying to dumb down the seriousness of this, ANY chance of an innocent child being shot while at school of all places even in the slightest is too high, there shouldn't be any chance of being shot and killed while at school, only in the US do innocent kids face that possibility no matter how small, that is what's fucking sickening. The children of US are the future of the US so fuck the gang bangers you mentioned, let them kill each other, and if some one wants to commit suicide not much can be done about that, and fuck all that other shit you mentioned, Protecting the kids is what's most important.

#17 Posted by lostrib (34471 posts) -

not only that, people can get shot by going to a movie. or a shopping mall., crazy people around here. people so used to, it it's a norm.

Not even close

#18 Posted by MrGeezer (56127 posts) -

@gamerguru100: "The media practically puts the killer on a fucking pedestal, and then we wonder why such shootings are increasing in number. Some fuck up will see it on TV and believe himself to be some kind of martyr if he goes out and unloads a few magazines into a crowd. Man, it's all just fucking sickening"

Totally agree with that, but I guess the news of a school shooting will get out some how, even if it's not televised or reported in the papers.

"the odds your child is actually going to be involved in a school shooting incident. even in the "gun crazy" US is astronomically low"

Seems like you are trying to dumb down the seriousness of this, ANY chance of an innocent child being shot while at school of all places even in the slightest is too high, there shouldn't be any chance of being shot and killed while at school, only in the US do innocent kids face that possibility no matter how small, that is what's fucking sickening. The children of US are the future of the US so fuck the gang bangers you mentioned, let them kill each other, and if some one wants to commit suicide not much can be done about that, and fuck all that other shit you mentioned, Protecting the kids is what's most important.

Excuse me, but a lot of "school shootings" actually are instances of "gangbangers" taking their beef into the schools. One of the problems with letting the bad guys kill each other off is that innocent people tend to get in the way.

Also, "only in the US do innocent kids face that possibility". That's just complete bullshit. School shootings absolutely happen in many other countries. And even in countries where there haven't been any school shootings, there's nothing ruling out the possibility of it happening.

#19 Posted by Xeno_ghost (675 posts) -

@joehult: "Your house could fall in a sink hole and kill you. Your dog could attack your kid and kill them. A tornado can get you. Lightning, choking on food, heart attack, asthma attack, sudden allergic reaction, snakes, spiders, mountain lion, slipping and hitting your head, carbon monoxide build up, bacteria, virus, hit by a train, hit by a hockey puck, falling more than 6 feet, grease fire, radiation, diabetes....."

I'm sorry, this thread isn't about "random" ways in which a human can die, it's about school children in the US having to have bullet proof blankets and vest just incase their school is the unlucky school that gets a visit from a gun toting maniac.

#20 Posted by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Dogswithguns said:

Not even close

Yeah, I have to disagree with that as well. With more traffic deaths alone than gun deaths in this country, being killed in a mass shooting is still very far from the norm. The media's sensationalism only makes it feel that way.

#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (87683 posts) -

Profiteering off of fear and suffering.

The American dream in the 21st century!

#22 Posted by MrGeezer (56127 posts) -

@joehult: "Your house could fall in a sink hole and kill you. Your dog could attack your kid and kill them. A tornado can get you. Lightning, choking on food, heart attack, asthma attack, sudden allergic reaction, snakes, spiders, mountain lion, slipping and hitting your head, carbon monoxide build up, bacteria, virus, hit by a train, hit by a hockey puck, falling more than 6 feet, grease fire, radiation, diabetes....."

I'm sorry, this thread isn't about "random" ways in which a human can die, it's about school children in the US having to have bullet proof blankets and vest just incase their school is the unlucky school that gets a visit from a gun toting maniac.

Except that they don't have to have bulletproof blankets. The linked article specifically states that not a single school district has purchased them.

Also, these things wouldn't be effective anyway. For starters, most school shootings are over almost as soon as they start anyway. By the time teachers figure out there's a shooting and then get the blankets out it's already over.

#23 Posted by Open-Casket (72 posts) -

They should just replace all firearms with walkie-talkies, no?

#24 Posted by magicalclick (22444 posts) -

That is indeed interesting. They shoot people, so their voice can be heard on the news.

#25 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

@xeno_ghost: When they can't get background checks on guns, then there is no hope. Senators don't care if people get killed. They are only after the money they get from Halliburton

#26 Posted by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -

there is always a chance some lunatic will go shoot up a school.. the odds of that occurring will NEVER be 0.0 in any country.

i am not trying to dumb down anything and i never made mention of gang bangers or suicides. my comment was on people trying to profit off of fear of something that is still, statistically, likely never going to happen to your kid.

#27 Edited by plageus900 (993 posts) -

@Makhaidos:

While I can agree that we could greatly reduce them, I don't think we could ever completely prevent them.

#28 Posted by killzowned24 (7298 posts) -

@comp_atkins said:

And makes sense when we dwarf all the others in population.

#29 Posted by Master_Live (14184 posts) -

Then headshots it is.

#30 Posted by airshocker (29040 posts) -

What a load of horse shit. rofl

#31 Edited by airshocker (29040 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

@xeno_ghost: When they can't get background checks on guns, then there is no hope. Senators don't care if people get killed. They are only after the money they get from Halliburton

Excuse me? What did I go through when I purchased two guns last year, then? You don't have any clue as to what you're talking about.

#32 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Excuse me? What did I go through when I purchased two guns last year, then? You don't have any clue as to what you're talking about.

That my friend doesn't apply to all states and how do mentally unstable people get a hold off guns then?

#33 Posted by Master_Live (14184 posts) -

@airshocker said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

how do mentally unstable people get a hold off guns then?

Their parents, for once.

#34 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@airshocker said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

how do mentally unstable people get a hold off guns then?

Their parents, for once.

Well the guy that shot the theater and the guy that shot up the military base both had medical history of mental unstability. Yet why were they able to get guns legally?

#35 Posted by lamprey263 (23169 posts) -

It's not THAT bad, some people are overprotective of their children though and may buy such things for them, or producers might try exploit any extra money schools have in their budget to get such gear for their students.

I mean, just look at the post 9/11 fears, people who worked in large buildings started buying parachutes to take with them at work just in case a similar plane attack happened they might escape the building before it collapses.

#36 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8212 posts) -

I, in no way want to see bans, but something needs to be done to keep them out of the hands of mentally unstable and criminals. There is no reason anyone shouldn't be able to wait a few days to receive their gun after checks have been done. But what about legally owners who have a child or person in house or maybe a friend that would take and use the weapon. I don't how you stop that. Doing background checks on entire household doesn't seem feasible. If only it was like a scifi movie where the only one the gun would work for is the owner DNA verification on trigger lol.

#37 Edited by Master_Live (14184 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

I mean, just look at the post 9/11 fears, people who worked in large buildings started buying parachutes to take with them at work just in case a similar plane attack happened they might escape the building before it collapses.

#38 Posted by Master_Live (14184 posts) -

Ummm, I need a new laugh gif. Sometimes I feel this one doesn't accurately represents how much I'm laughing.

#39 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@comp_atkins said:

And makes sense when we dwarf all the others in population.

Wow, I'm sure all those studies never thought to include population size in their calculations, what with them all being done by sophomore sociology students.

#40 Edited by lamprey263 (23169 posts) -

Ummm, I need a new laugh gif. Sometimes I feel this one doesn't accurately represents how much I'm laughing.

this?

#41 Posted by Master_Live (14184 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

this?

Too creepy. Plus they float.

#42 Posted by lamprey263 (23169 posts) -

@Master_Live:

ah, too bad, I'll save it for myself

anyhow, figured you'd get a kick out of this

#43 Posted by airshocker (29040 posts) -

@airshocker said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

That my friend doesn't apply to all states and how do mentally unstable people get a hold off guns then?

You're misinformed, once again. A NICS check(background check) is done for every firearm purchase in the USA.

Mentally unstable people get a hold of guns because certain states have restrictions on what info they can share with NICS. That's not a problem with the background check system, that is a problem with the states.

#44 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

@airshocker: And that's why it should be allowed... Because no insane person should be able to get a gun. Why do you think we never have mass shootings here in scandinavia?

#45 Posted by airshocker (29040 posts) -

And that's why it should be allowed... Because no insane person should be able to get a gun. Why do you think we never have mass shootings here in scandinavia?

That's something for you to write about to specific states about. Not me. I'm simply proving how ignorant you are on this matter.

#46 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

And that's why it should be allowed... Because no insane person should be able to get a gun. Why do you think we never have mass shootings here in scandinavia?

That's something for you to write about to specific states about. Not me. I'm simply proving how ignorant you are on this matter.

Congress still hasn't passed anything on this, and it fell through the last time they tried, so apparantly you're ignorant aswell :)

#47 Posted by airshocker (29040 posts) -

Congress still hasn't passed anything on this, and it fell through the last time they tried, so apparantly you're ignorant aswell :)

Congress has nothing to do with what the states do or don't pass. That's up to each state individually. I think you're the only ignorant person here. You were misinformed about background checks, you have no idea what you're talking about WRT Obamacare, and you apparently don't know that each state has it's own institutions to pass laws for that state. Jeez, you're hitting the trifecta, man.

#48 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70672 posts) -

@airshocker: I know each state has their own laws, and you didn't even admit the Obamacare was watered down. You clearly didn't know that a lot of shootings have mental instability where states can do something, yet do nothing. Wasn't the motto after Sandy Hook "never again"? Since that there's almost been shootings every day. You're supporting a government and states that don't care about you basicly when kids have need bulletproof blankets. Check mate

#49 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3792 posts) -

US Citizens. This is a ploy by the government to convince scared parents and others to hand over their guns. Don't be naive. Use protection.

#50 Posted by Xeno_ghost (675 posts) -

@MrGeezer: "Except that they don't have to have bulletproof blankets. The linked article specifically states that not a single school district has purchased them"

"Also, these things wouldn't be effective anyway. For starters, most school shootings are over almost as soon as they start anyway. By the time teachers figure out there's a shooting and then get the blankets out it's already over"

What a complete load of fucking bullshit are you serious?

Every school in the US should now provide these blankets or vest just incase of a school shooting, and they should be in every class. The fact is that getting shot while at school is a potential hazard in the US, just like a fire breaking out in school is a potential hazard, when there is a fire you have procedures you have to follow, there are preventative measures, and there is protection from fire I.e fire doors, should schools not bother with all that just because the chances of there being a fire is very small statistically, I think not, so the same kind of procedural preventative protective measures need to be applied when it comes to the possibility of there being a school shooting, no matter how small the chances of it happening are, It's all about saving lives of those most important, the kids.

It's not scaremongering it's being prepared for the worst possible scenario, and if a company makes money out of it good they deserve every penny because they would be saving lives children's lives and that's priceless.

Better to make money on products that save lives than to make money on products that take lives.