Keurig vs Traditional Coffee Maker

#1 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Which do you prefer?

Maybe I'm old school, but I'll take the old coffee maker over a Keurig machine any day of the week. While, the latter is convenient and quicker, I think you sacrifice taste and quality that you get from a traditional machine. Plus, the price of k-cups is outrageous.

#2 Edited by Ring_of_fire (15671 posts) -

While I have only used the K-Cups at a hotel, I prefer the drip coffee machine.

#3 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I no longer have a coffee maker. I am thinking of getting this though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BG7MK4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=JIALDDKQAKOF&coliid=I7PR9GF7JLCWQ

#4 Posted by Mikey132 (5114 posts) -

I don't like my Keurig. It doesn't make the coffee hot enough. And just how in the hell can you select 3 different cup sizes for the same amout of coffee??? That is not how coffee works! And the price of the coffee too. I can spend the same amount on a big tin of coffee and drink for almost a month, with keurig it lasts 1 week. You can buy the filter that you can use your own coffee in but, it still won't make it hot enough for me.

The Keurig is a good idea for a workplace coffee machine. It eliminates the need for 2 machines since lots of people do drink decafe. In the end it seems more like a gimmick than a "better" brew.

#5 Edited by SUD123456 (4526 posts) -

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

#6 Edited by PonchoTaco (2467 posts) -

I only use the Keurig on the weekends.

#7 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28244 posts) -

French press all the way, baby.

#8 Edited by foxhound_fox (90309 posts) -

@SUD123456 said:

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

This.

Tassimo and Keurig machines provide a quicker and more convenient way to have coffee. As long as the coffee quality in the cups is good, and the water is filtered (or not, if that's what one prefers), then the coffee is going to be good. One doesn't need to hand grind the beans themselves, and press them in a French press to get a better cup of coffee. Sure, it'll be a little bit fresher, but with packaging technology today, it's hard to argue with much less time consumption versus a more "traditional" cup of coffee.

#9 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@SUD123456 said:

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

This.

Tassimo and Keurig machines provide a quicker and more convenient way to have coffee. As long as the coffee quality in the cups is good, and the water is filtered (or not, if that's what one prefers), then the coffee is going to be good. One doesn't need to hand grind the beans themselves, and press them in a French press to get a better cup of coffee. Sure, it'll be a little bit fresher, but with packaging technology today, it's hard to argue with much less time consumption versus a more "traditional" cup of coffee.

I disagree. I used the "fill it yourself" k-cup with same coffee I brew at home and the taste is weak on a keurig. I don't know the inner workings of a keurig, but whatever it does it is NOT the same taste as a traditional machine. The keurig I used was hooked up to a water line with filter, so it's not the quality of water that was bad. It's the machine.

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (90309 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@SUD123456 said:

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

This.

Tassimo and Keurig machines provide a quicker and more convenient way to have coffee. As long as the coffee quality in the cups is good, and the water is filtered (or not, if that's what one prefers), then the coffee is going to be good. One doesn't need to hand grind the beans themselves, and press them in a French press to get a better cup of coffee. Sure, it'll be a little bit fresher, but with packaging technology today, it's hard to argue with much less time consumption versus a more "traditional" cup of coffee.

I disagree. I used the "fill it yourself" k-cup with same coffee I brew at home and the taste is weak on a keurig. I don't know the inner workings of a keurig, but whatever it does it is NOT the same taste as a traditional machine. The keurig I used was hooked up to a water line with filter, so it's not the quality of water that was bad. It's the machine.

I'm not experienced with Keurig machines, so I really cannot comment, but I doubt it's the machine. The coffee I get in Nabob T-cups (the Tassimo variant) looks exactly like the kind that comes in my bag for drip makers.

This sounds like an experiment waiting to happen. Wish I had the money and time to invest in checking it.

#11 Posted by Mikey132 (5114 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@jasean79 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@SUD123456 said:

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

This.

Tassimo and Keurig machines provide a quicker and more convenient way to have coffee. As long as the coffee quality in the cups is good, and the water is filtered (or not, if that's what one prefers), then the coffee is going to be good. One doesn't need to hand grind the beans themselves, and press them in a French press to get a better cup of coffee. Sure, it'll be a little bit fresher, but with packaging technology today, it's hard to argue with much less time consumption versus a more "traditional" cup of coffee.

I disagree. I used the "fill it yourself" k-cup with same coffee I brew at home and the taste is weak on a keurig. I don't know the inner workings of a keurig, but whatever it does it is NOT the same taste as a traditional machine. The keurig I used was hooked up to a water line with filter, so it's not the quality of water that was bad. It's the machine.

I'm not experienced with Keurig machines, so I really cannot comment, but I doubt it's the machine. The coffee I get in Nabob T-cups (the Tassimo variant) looks exactly like the kind that comes in my bag for drip makers.

This sounds like an experiment waiting to happen. Wish I had the money and time to invest in checking it.

Keurigs do make one weak coffee. I'm sure that's because the Keurig forces the water through the K-cup pretty f'n fast. While the traditonal maker just drips the water over the grinds and it actually has time to extract some coffee.

So let me just correct SUD123456's statment. "This does make sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water and the machine"

#12 Edited by foxhound_fox (90309 posts) -

@Mikey132 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@jasean79 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@SUD123456 said:

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

This.

Tassimo and Keurig machines provide a quicker and more convenient way to have coffee. As long as the coffee quality in the cups is good, and the water is filtered (or not, if that's what one prefers), then the coffee is going to be good. One doesn't need to hand grind the beans themselves, and press them in a French press to get a better cup of coffee. Sure, it'll be a little bit fresher, but with packaging technology today, it's hard to argue with much less time consumption versus a more "traditional" cup of coffee.

I disagree. I used the "fill it yourself" k-cup with same coffee I brew at home and the taste is weak on a keurig. I don't know the inner workings of a keurig, but whatever it does it is NOT the same taste as a traditional machine. The keurig I used was hooked up to a water line with filter, so it's not the quality of water that was bad. It's the machine.

I'm not experienced with Keurig machines, so I really cannot comment, but I doubt it's the machine. The coffee I get in Nabob T-cups (the Tassimo variant) looks exactly like the kind that comes in my bag for drip makers.

This sounds like an experiment waiting to happen. Wish I had the money and time to invest in checking it.

Keurigs do make one weak coffee. I'm sure that's because the Keurig forces the water through the K-cup pretty f'n fast. While the traditonal maker just drips the water over the grinds and it actually has time to extract some coffee.

So let me just correct SUD123456's statment. "This does make sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water and the machine"

Yeah, I've used a Keurig maybe twice (both in hotel rooms), and they seem to run a lot faster than my Tassimo.

#13 Edited by thegerg (15776 posts) -

@SUD123456 said:

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

Not true. The machine making the coffee certainly does impact the taste.

#14 Posted by solidruss (23815 posts) -

I love my Keurig, my favorite is called "My Blend" very tasty breakfast blend type coffee.

#15 Edited by Dogswithguns (10879 posts) -

none of those.. I use Vietnamese coffee maker stainless steel one cup at a time filter.

#16 Posted by Namgis (3591 posts) -
@sammyjenkis898 said:

French press all the way, baby.

Came here to say this. I try to limit the amount of waste I create, the press is the way to go.

#17 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@Namgis said:
@sammyjenkis898 said:

French press all the way, baby.

Came here to say this. I try to limit the amount of waste I create, the press is the way to go.

I've heard that the press pot is the best tasting way to enjoy coffee. I have yet to try this, but I will. I like strong coffee, so no doubts that I'll like this.

#18 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7561 posts) -

@Dogswithguns said:

none of those.. I use Vietnamese coffee maker stainless steel one cup at a time filter.

This Vietnamese place makes ice coffee with the same method I believe and its pretty darn strong.

#19 Posted by airshocker (30715 posts) -

I like my Keurig plenty. It's extremely convenient and I take care of mine so it tastes just as good every single time.

#20 Edited by lamprey263 (25003 posts) -

I'm fine with K-cup flavors, but damn that shit is expensive. No thanks. At best it's like $.50/cup and you have to buy in bulk at Walmart or Costco. If they got it down to $.25/cup from anywhere and not require one buy in bulk then I'd be all over it.

I think businesses that have them though in their break room and provide employees with access to it for free, then I'm all for K-cups.

#21 Posted by mindstorm (15247 posts) -

I make all of my coffee with a French Press.

#22 Posted by Jd1680a (5955 posts) -

I am currently looking into getting a Keurig machine and possibly replace my traditional coffee marker. My current coffee maker I could make a pot for more then one cup and able to adjust the strength of the coffee with the number of scoops. The keurig coffee cartridges is only for one single cup from what I've read and it seems to be wasteful and more expensive.