Just watched No Country Old Men

#1 Posted by Behardy24 (3814 posts) -

I picked up this movie on blu-ray about this time last month, but have now just watched it. I thought it was a really solid film, even if the ending didn't make sense to me at first. (That doesn't me I didn't like the ending).

Have you watched the movie yet? If you did, what did you think of it? Were you okay with the ending?

#2 Posted by lamprey263 (23551 posts) -

Javier Bardem made for a ruthless villain.

#3 Posted by hippiesanta (9841 posts) -

I'm surprise female lead have lovescenes in tranpoiting with obi wan ... and as the ginger princess in Brave

#4 Posted by MirkoS77 (7337 posts) -

He'd be the perfect cast for a movie about Christopher Hitchens.

I didn't care for the ending. Moss's death was far too abrupt and invalidated everything up to that point.

#5 Edited by Master_Live (14430 posts) -

It was a fine film.

8/10

And it started the 3 year psychopath/Best Supporting Actor streak:

• Bardem
  • Ledger
  • Waltz
#6 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26170 posts) -

"Have you watched the movie yet?"...been out for like 7 years man.

#7 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (461 posts) -

#8 Edited by TruthTellers (3397 posts) -
@MirkoS77 said:

@lamprey263 said:

He'd be the perfect cast for a movie about Christopher Hitchens.

I didn't care for the ending. Moss's death was far too abrupt and invalidated everything up to that point.

Yeah, could have been more epic. Quite a letdown that was made in favor of a more open ending. Bout opened up a can of whoop ass myself after I bought the DVD years ago.

#9 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28072 posts) -

Moss' death was completely in line with the film's narrative and the ending just reinforces its thematic concerns.

#10 Posted by jasean79 (2371 posts) -

Nope, never saw it. If it's on Netflix I'll give it a whirl.

#11 Posted by Aljosa23 (24851 posts) -

One of the best films of the 2000s. Also well deserved Best Picture winner even if the PTA fanbabies disagree.

#12 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29197 posts) -

Moss' death was completely in line with the film's narrative and the ending just reinforces its thematic concerns.

^

I love the end monologue (better in the book but whatever) by Sheriff Bell

#13 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29197 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

One of the best films of the 2000s. Also well deserved Best Picture winner even if the PTA fanbabies disagree.

Paul Thomas Anderson?

#14 Posted by Aljosa23 (24851 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Paul Thomas Anderson?

Yeah. No Country For Old Men vs. There Will Be Blood was a pretty big debate in 2007.

both are excellent, just ncfom is better

#15 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29197 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Paul Thomas Anderson?

Yeah. No Country For Old Men vs. There Will Be Blood was a pretty big debate in 2007.

both are excellent, just ncfom is better

100% agreed

#16 Posted by MirkoS77 (7337 posts) -

I didn't have an issue with it aside from the manner in which it was done. The whole movie up until that point was a tense lead-up between him are Chugurh, then all of a sudden he's casually gunned down at a motel by a bunch of no-name, unseen Mexican drug dealers who'd had barely any screen time afforded them to then until then. It wasn't even shown. It felt way too dismissive and far too abrupt and went to invalidate the relevance of his character. The whole cat and mouse scenario between him and Anton felt very pointless due to it.

#17 Edited by dave123321 (33998 posts) -

It was pretty decent

#18 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

I didn't have an issue with it aside from the manner in which it was done. The whole movie up until that point was a tense lead-up between him are Chugurh, then all of a sudden he's casually gunned down at a motel by a bunch of no-name, unseen Mexican drug dealers who'd had barely any screen time afforded them to then until then. It wasn't even shown. It felt way too dismissive and far too abrupt and went to invalidate the relevance of his character. The whole cat and mouse scenario between him and Anton felt very pointless due to it.

Moss' death was intended to be unsatisfying. It was suppose to be excessively dismissive and abrupt. Yes, the whole cat and mouse scenario felt pointless in the end, but it was always pointless.

#19 Edited by playmynutz (5982 posts) -

That movie makes me nostalgic, those were the good ol' days when it first came out

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (8318 posts) -

To be honest, I didn't like it all. It needed characters to care about and root for and aside from "Carla" (who is barely in it) they didn't exist. I know I am in the minority and many of you probably love the movie but it is what it is. Didn't like it at all.