Jurassic World branded 'dumb monster movie'

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

Dinosaur fanatics could be in for a big disappointment when Jurassic World hits the big screen in a few weeks.

The keenly awaited Spielberg blockbuster has come in for criticism from dinosaur experts who claim the creatures depicted in the film are not in line with the latest research.

Unlike the 1993 original, which was praised for its attention to detail and accuracy, the new film shows portrays its Tyrannosaurus Rex and velociraptors all wrong.

Darren Naish, a paleontologist at Southhampton University told The Times: "The original film showed dinosaurs that were not simply roaring, scaly monsters but were active, social, bird-like animals with dynamic bodies."

Universal/American Museum of Natural History Dinosaur fanatics could be in for a big disappointment when Jurassic World hits the big screen in a few weeks.

The keenly awaited Spielberg blockbuster has come in for criticism from dinosaur experts who claim the creatures depicted in the film are not in line with the latest research.

Unlike the 1993 original, which was praised for its attention to detail and accuracy, the new film shows portrays its Tyrannosaurus Rex and velociraptors all wrong.

Darren Naish, a paleontologist at Southhampton University told The Times: "The original film showed dinosaurs that were not simply roaring, scaly monsters but were active, social, bird-like animals with dynamic bodies."

Experts have blasted the film for not being true to science

"Now, Jurassic World is simply a dumb monster movie and there has been a deliberate effort to make its animals look different from the way we think they should."

Research now shows pretty conclusively that the T-Rex and the Velociraptor would have had FEATHERS.

But film-makers clearly chose to play it safe and keep them scaly, as most people know and imagine them to be.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/jurassic-world-branded-dumb-monster-5672198

T-Rex
T-Rex

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Feathered dinosaurs would reignite my interest in dinos.

But yeah, the film does look like a dumb monster movie based on the trailers.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

Eh, was expected that they destroy something as nostalgic :p

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Out of all the things that are likely to be wrong with this movie, complaining about the dinosaurs not having feathers is silly.

1) Whether it's realistic or not, they didn't have feathers in the first movie. As a work of fiction, it's probably more important to maintain consistency within the series than to keep up with new scientific discoveries.

2) And regardless, the dinosaurs were never "pure" in the first place. It has clearly been established that lizard and frog DNA has been spliced into the dinosaurs' gene sequence in order to fill in the gaps. So all it would take is one line of dialogue to explain that the reason the dinosaurs don't have feathers is because their genome has been altered.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

While I did stated that the Feathers on Dinosaurs is a letdown when I said that on Jurassic World Trailer thread, they had every opportunity to correct that mistake but the first Jurassic Park get's away cause the discovery of Feathers wasn't around when the first movie was release. That said, I'm still gonna go see Jurassic World only because we haven't had a Dinosaur movie in years and I'm already tired of Zombies, Apocalyptic, and almost superheros movies as it is. Dinosaurs is a good sign to see something decent.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Really? That's it?

From day one, the Velociraptors have looked nothing like they should.

Not to mention this film also features a test tube dinosaur. Of course anyone will be disappointed if they go into it looking for realism (at least as far as our understanding of 65+ million year old reptiles is concerned).

As far as every other aspect of the movie goes though, we'll just have to see.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

The raptor training kind of gave away the "dumb" part.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Celldrax said:

Really? That's it?

From day one, the Velociraptors have looked nothing like they should.

Not to mention this film also features a test tube dinosaur. Of course anyone will be disappointed if they go into it looking for realism (at least as far as our understanding of 65+ million year old reptiles is concerned).

As far as every other aspect of the movies goes though, we'll just have to see.

This^^^

The Raptors were never really accurate at all.

I'm still going to see it but my concerns is the comic relief.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Consistency > realism in this case. Not to mention, who goes and watch any of the JP movies looking for a documentary?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

This may turn out to be the case, but there's the possibility that paleontologists are malcontent. Maybe Spielberg sidestepped them or placed them later in the credits. Maybe he didn't indulge them enough who knows at this point.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Considering the first 3 movies use non-feathered dinosaurs it wouldn't make sense to make these one's feathered. The first one wasn't scientifically accurate so it stands to reason this one won't be either. And it doesn't matter because the 1st Jurassic park was great!

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@Celldrax:

What they had as Velociraptor more closely resembled Deinonychus, I did an oral report concerning dinosaurs and feathers that touched on this for Paleontology class in the mid-90's.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I think it's going to be good. Going to watch it in the cinema

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Meh, these just seem like petty complaints. I'm still eager to see this movie to see how interesting it can be, and to also enjoy it. So what if some scientific evidence might be off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

I don't think most people would go & see a giant chicken movie. So I understand why they went this way.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@ AFBrat77 "I did an oral report concerning dinosaurs and feathers that touched on this for Paleontology class in the mid-90's."

Did you pass?

@MrGeezer: 1) "Whether it's realistic or not, they didn't have feathers in the first movie. As a work of fiction, it's probably more important to maintain consistency within the series than to keep up with new scientific discoveries."

I agree with this. Having feathers would look out if place despite new research.

However, feathers or not, it still headed towards a "dumb monster movie"

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It looked very, very dumb. Still, it's got Andy from Parks and Rec so I'll watch it, but I doubt I'll catch it in a theater.

-Byshop

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Don't really mind the inaccuracies in regards to dinosaur depictions. I do feel like this is going to be another "big monster action" movie and won't feel anything like the first one.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

If they put effort in, they probably could have come up with a reason to add feathers, since they were scientifically augmented. That would involve assuming the audience isn't stupid.

Personally, like the fellow said above, I'd love to see them done with feathers, they look pretty cool in concept drawings.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

The accuracy of the dinosaurs are the least of the problems, the movie looks like a dumbass summer movie with no semblance of coherent plotline, story meaning, or characters.. I got that from watching the first 30 seconds of a trailer, you know the promotional thing that is suppose to make the movie look amazing? Well they fucked up on that too.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I thought they had feathered dinosaurs in this one.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

To be fair, guys, the first one was mostly schlock.

I mean, they included the bare minimum of Crichton's science from the book in it, a few portions of his speudo-science to tie the actual science and the premise together, and then let the dinosaurs run rampant.

The second and third did even less.

I'm OK with that. I was a bona-fide dinosaur nut at the time, and I didn't care that the velociraptors weren't accurate. I was having too much fun whispering to my parents in the next seat, "That's actually a deinonychus, but they probably hunted in packs, too." :-P

In my mind, the series is more about creating a sense of wonder and interest in science than being a documentary. They'll figure out all the technicalities once they start reading about dinosaurs after the movies have sparked their interest. Let the kids have fun.

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts

yes it looks stupid. ever since i heard about the trained raptors.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Umm. I'm not watching this movie or expecting it to be a documentary based on 100% facts and truths about dinosaurs and their realism (if that's what I wanted I'd watch the discovery channel). It's a fantasy movie to me and I don't care if there's a dinosaur with a chicken head attached to it's body, I'll still watch it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

what did people think, the only good movie was the original, both the following sequels sucked, this is par for the course

fingers crossed either Mad Max or Poltergeist end up being worth watching

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

I like how every year dinosaurs seem to change according to new findings.. I'll keep my dinos without feathers..thanks..and the movies are based on some reality. Sure they are movies..but..done with some of our actual knowledge..this movie will be epic..

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 edwise18

@BattleSpectre said:

Umm. I'm not watching this movie or expecting it to be a documentary based on 100% facts and truths about dinosaurs and their realism (if that's what I wanted I'd watch the discovery channel). It's a fantasy movie to me and I don't care if there's a dinosaur with a chicken head attached to it's body, I'll still watch it.

I don't think that stuff is on the discovery channel anymore :P

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BattleSpectre

@edwise18: Hehe, I had a feeling it wasn't, oops.

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 edwise18
@BattleSpectre said:

@edwise18: Hehe, I had a feeling it wasn't, oops.

Yeah. Discovery channel used to be awesome back in the day though. I would be tuned to it all the time.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AFBrat77

@PSP107:

Yes I passed Paleontology class in college, my final grade was A- (90-92), forgot what I was graded for oral report.....man I miss college.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

I believe that making a hybrid dinosaur and it is a carnivore was a stupid idea.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PSP107

@AFBrat77: "my final grade was A- (90-92), forgot what I was graded for oral report"

Were you good at public speaking? A lot of teachers are very critical during students oral reports. You probably got a B-

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

In my mind, the series is more about creating a sense of wonder and interest in science than being a documentary. They'll figure out all the technicalities once they start reading about dinosaurs after the movies have sparked their interest. Let the kids have fun.

And this is the biggest reason why this series annoys the hell out of me. The first Jurassic Park movie, IMO, actually had a sense of wonder about it. I think that's a very big part of why that movie worked and why I still love it. The dinosaur monster action/horror was good, and some of it was just superbly done (that T-rex attack at night is damn near close to perfection). But without all of that stuff being held together with the awe and discovery of this being a place that even exists, it just comes off as people getting eaten by monsters.

I mean, the other movies had some thrilling action scenes in them, but they lacked that sense of discovery. So they just came off as kind of "bleh". As if "I guess they're kind of okay, but I don't see the reason for this even existing." And since it's inherently gonna be hard to get that same sense of awe and discovery out of sequels, I maintain that this is a series that should have just been one movie. Granted, I guess it's possible that the new movie brings back that sense of awe and wonder, but I find that highly unlikely. Particularly since the actual CHARACTERS live in a world in which actual living breathing dinosaurs has become so mundane that they have to start making fake dinosaurs just to get anyone to give a shit. If the PEOPLE in this fictional world have become that bored of a world which contains real live dinosaurs, then I don't have high hopes that I as the viewer am going to get a very good sense of awe and discovery.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

The first Jurassic Park wasn't really a dumb movie. It fleshes out the characters motives and concepts behind the park. About 1/3 of it is John Hammond trying to convince them that is it ethically correct, with him having good intentions of creating a sense of wonder, with Ian Malcom spouting out gold lines as retorts. It has lots of great intelligent scenes, like when they (in 1 second) destroy John Hammonds Wizard of Oz illusion by getting out of his tour seats an going behind the curtain. All the special dinosaur effects and chase scenes wouldn't mean shit without any of that core; It would basically be a slightly better Transformers movie

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Jurassic Park was always a dumb monster movie tbh.

aryianna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By aryianna
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

@korvus said:

Consistency > realism in this case. Not to mention, who goes and watch any of the JP movies looking for a documentary?

Exactly!!! It is partly in fact that those who enjoyed the first ones have waited all these years for a new one. It's the same reason I watch Sharknado... do I really think sharks are going to kill people by being thrown around in a tornado? No but it was fun to watch!

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AFBrat77

@SexyJazzCat:

The original Jurassic Park book is quite good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

As a nearly-life-long fan of dinosaurs, I've come to terms with the idea that Jurassic Park was never supposed to be based on reality.

For fucks sake, the majority of the dinosaurs in the entire franchise are from the Cretaceous Period.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I am all for the theory dinosaurs were big feathered chickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@aryianna said:

Exactly!!! It is partly in fact that those who enjoyed the first ones have waited all these years for a new one. It's the same reason I watch Sharknado... do I really think sharks are going to kill people by being thrown around in a tornado? No but it was fun to watch!

And that is how they blindside you...

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

God this movie seems like such shit.

And don't give me the "but popcorn movie!" excuse, those can be good too. See: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BattleSpectre
@-God- said:

God this movie seems like such shit.

And don't give me the "but popcorn movie!" excuse, those can be good too. See: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

Aussie goodness mate, be jelly ;]

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PSP107

@korvus: "And that is how they blindside you..."

I have an idea but what exactly do you mean?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 uninspiredcup  Online

@playmynutz said:

I am all for the theory dinosaurs were big feathered chickens

Dat doesn't sound very scary
Dat doesn't sound very scary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@PSP107 said:

@korvus: "And that is how they blindside you..."

I have an idea but what exactly do you mean?

Shark tornadoes are fully aware of how ridiculous they are so they use your disbelief in them to attack you when you least expect it. Laugh if you will but don't say I didn't warn you...

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PSP107

@korvus: "Shark tornadoes are fully aware of how ridiculous they are so they use your disbelief in them to attack you when you least expect it. Laugh if you will but don't say I didn't warn you..."

I must say I didn't expect that response.

K0PaSk4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 K0PaSk4
Member since 2004 • 15646 Posts

If we're going to talk about realism, then I'm concerned how is this park can still get its license to operate despite the major mishaps from the previous two movies?

@MrGeezer said:
@mattbbpl said:

And this is the biggest reason why this series annoys the hell out of me. The first Jurassic Park movie, IMO, actually had a sense of wonder about it. I think that's a very big part of why that movie worked and why I still love it. The dinosaur monster action/horror was good, and some of it was just superbly done (that T-rex attack at night is damn near close to perfection). But without all of that stuff being held together with the awe and discovery of this being a place that even exists, it just comes off as people getting eaten by monsters.

I mean, the other movies had some thrilling action scenes in them, but they lacked that sense of discovery. So they just came off as kind of "bleh". As if "I guess they're kind of okay, but I don't see the reason for this even existing." And since it's inherently gonna be hard to get that same sense of awe and discovery out of sequels, I maintain that this is a series that should have just been one movie. Granted, I guess it's possible that the new movie brings back that sense of awe and wonder, but I find that highly unlikely. Particularly since the actual CHARACTERS live in a world in which actual living breathing dinosaurs has become so mundane that they have to start making fake dinosaurs just to get anyone to give a shit. If the PEOPLE in this fictional world have become that bored of a world which contains real live dinosaurs, then I don't have high hopes that I as the viewer am going to get a very good sense of awe and discovery.

I agree it should just be a one off movie rather than stretching it into sequeIs, I think that's because for 1993 the movie visual effect was innovative and just top notch. I still remember watching the "making of" feature of Jurassic Park and just got blown away by the scale of animatronics that these guys was doing, and it would be almost impossible to come up with something that innovative for every sequel.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

The trailer didn't do much for me so I'm not holding out a lot of hope. It might be good but I'm not going to bother to see it in a theater.