This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Dice1117 (9 posts) -

Am I the only one who likes these videos? I get scared easy ;)

The game is Haunted Memories, it's a slender man game. Good video anyone know of other videos like this one??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VSQaQBDAD4

#2 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4833 posts) -

Not looked at that game.

If this is subject on jump scares, the best one ever... This scene from Sinister. Anyone who seen the movie must will know what one I mean without clicking the link.

Dare you to turn the sound up.

#3 Posted by Dice1117 (9 posts) -

Nice video super scary haha

#4 Edited by Jimn_tonic (819 posts) -

I prefer the latter; much more emotional, and invokes your imagination, rather than your immediate senses.

#5 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4833 posts) -

yeah we know Alfred Hitchcock and all that. Always room for jump scares. Also it's often the threat of jump scares that can lead to authentic fear.

#6 Edited by Dice1117 (9 posts) -

The games where you get chased are terrifying too

#7 Edited by spike6958 (4491 posts) -

@Jimn_tonic: I agree. However it's pretty much impossible to create real fear, when the person you are trying to scare is someone who has complete control of the situation (ie with a video game, player can simply pause/turn off and walk away) it's impossible to build tension in said person, where as jump scares are instant and therefor more effective for media.

I guess the only way to have anything close to real fear work in a video game is to slowly start to take away the players control, have buttons that are normally most commonly used no longer do anything, same with the start/pause button (though it still doesn't stop people from been able to just switch the machine off), take there control away and it might be possible, or it could simply make them angry and stop playing altogether.

#9 Edited by konvikt_17 (21973 posts) -

the scene from insidious scared the shit outta me

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuylvwXGi4#t=1m17s

wouldnt let me link it:(

#10 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16695 posts) -

Jump scares can have their place, but atmosphere and tension are always better and really they are required for a legitimate jump scare IMO.

A great example of a great scary scene would be this.

#11 Posted by lonewolf604 (8446 posts) -

That's the problem I have with most horror flicks. When you get past the jump scares (which pretty much startles anyone because of your sympathetic nervous system), you question whether or not the story itself is suspenseful or scary in itself...Speaking of which, the Paranormal Activity movies are overrated.

#12 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

I hate jump scares. I don't consider them real scares. More like... surprises.

#13 Posted by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Jump scares when used too much isn't scary anymore.

#14 Edited by redalert2004 (2308 posts) -

Playing Doom 3 makes me Jump Scare some times :)