John Oliver says to spam the FCC

#1 Edited by lamprey263 (23490 posts) -

This is just over 3 weeks old, but this is really interesting nonetheless. So I'm sure a while back there were threads on the net neutrality issue because of Netflix and and Comcast worked out a deal to provide non-throttled streaming on their internet service, he brings up this up and shows how it was pretty much a shakedown on Comcasts end. Also, he shows how last year Comcast was the 2nd largest company spending money lobbying members of Congress, right behind the lead industrial military complex contractor. Also worth noting, the head lobbyist for greedy telecoms is going to be the next Chairman at the FCC. He brings up how right now Verizon is suing the government for a two tier system that would allow for a setup like Comcast did with Neflix, and right now the FCC is debating allowing for changes to net neutrality. He notes that on that issue, the FCC has a comments section which people can be vocal on this issue over...

http://www.fcc.gov/comments

So, John Oliver has put the call out to internet commenters. He needs you, America needs you, you need you, to spam the FCC with your thoughts in the defense of net neutrality. Our collective snark and contempt needs to be mustered and channeled into something positive and productive to protect the internet. As he said, this is the moment we we've spent our lives training for, that we were made for.

“That’s right,” Oliver said. “The FCC are literally inviting internet comments at this address, and at this point, and I can’t believe I’m about to do this, I would like to address the internet commenters out there directly.”

“Good evening, monsters,” he jokingly began an open statement to anonymous comment makers. “This may be the moment you spent your whole lives training for.”

“For once in your life we need you to channel that anger, that badly spelled vile that you normally reserve for unforgivable attacks on actresses you seem to think have put on weight, or politics you disagree with, or photos of your ex girlfriend getting on with her life, or non-white actors being cast as fictional characters,” he said. “We need you to get out there and for once in your lives focus your indiscriminate rage in a useful direction.”

Oliver then instructed his audience to “turn on caps lock and fly, my pretties.” Indeed, that message was heeded by more than just a few fans — on Monday, the FCC took to Twitter to say that an influx of commentary had in fact crippled the site.

http://rt.com/usa/163408-fcc-john-oliver-net/

Well, it turns out the message was heeded...

Anyhow, I was just thinking we shouldn't just let that stand, the FCC will be taking comments on the issue for the next three months, let's all give the FCC a piece of our mind.

#2 Edited by Serraph105 (27930 posts) -

Yeah John is proving himself to be really good at his own version of The Daily Show. It's sort of a decent blend of the Colbert Report as it's just John (no correspondents), but at the same time much like Stewart he's not playing a character.

Really funny clip, and I suggest watching it.

#3 Posted by Aljosa23 (24841 posts) -

Yeah John is proving himself to be really good at his own version of The Daily Show. It's sort of a decent blend of the Colbert Report as it's just John (no correspondents), but at the same time much like Stewart he's not playing a character.

Agreed. I started watching him after seeing his bit on FIFA and I'm glad I did.

Still think HBO should give him the timeslot before or maybe after Real Time. Could get a lot more viewers that way.

#4 Posted by lamprey263 (23490 posts) -

Glad someone enjoyed the clip. I knew he had this new show but I hadn't given much thought to watching it until I saw a few clips. And I have to say I'm very impressed. I like how he does that kind of goads his audience in some of his shows, like the food mislabeling challenge toward the end of this video...