This topic is locked from further discussion.

ryanweinmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ryanweinmann
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

I have a job interview tomorrow.I really worry about getting the job. First, I get paranoid when I go into crowded places (which the job is in a big city.) I was diagnose with paranoid Schizophrenic. Should I tell the interviewee that I have metal health condition that could affect my work?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Yes yes you should. You should also switch back and forth between your normal voice and your best gollum voice.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Your first priority should be your mental health. Consider every action with that as the most relevant issue and everything should be more manageable. Discrimination due to disability is illegal, but schizophrenia is quite stigmatized throughout the world. Talk with those who you have the strongest relationships with and trust, but trust yourself as well. You shall get through this.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5  Edited By REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

I think it's something you should be transparent about, but certainly don't lead the conversation with that. Bring it up after the rest of the business has been addressed, and you've had a chance to make a solid impression.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#6 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

I don't think it's a good idea to mention it, the recruiter will just pick another candidate that's more normal.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It is illegal for them to ask health-related questions. It's not going to come up unless you bring it up, so just don't bring it up. Your health issues are none of their business, and it's never in your interest to disclose your health history, regardless of the issue.

I would say that rather than being worried about your health issue affecting your job performance, you should worry about the job affecting your health. If being in a large city makes the problem worse, why not apply for jobs in rural areas?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I can tell you that since i work in a corporation with over 300 people, no one is perfect. There are various people, some which if you get the job, will become good friends. Don't be nervous, be yourself, and just answer the questions to the best of your knowledge. Hope you know allot about the company you are applying for, it makes a huge difference. A certain subject might come up, and it helps to know a bit about it. The jobs i never intended to get, and did not try super hard, are the ones i actually got hired for. It was the ones that i was so nervous about, and tried to be so perfect that i did not get. I think they can see when you try to hard. So just be yourself, and do your best. Some jobs are just not meant. There is always others out there. Don't think about not getting it, or getting it. Just think of it, as something that you have to go through, that's part of your job already.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

It usually is illegal to discriminate based on a disability...but it usually isn't deemed illegal to not hire someone, or let them go, if that disability would or did limit their ability to do their job as required. A office not hiring, or firing, a receptionist in a wheelchair would be deemed discrimination...a security position which requires frequent running up and down a flight of stairs , and the ability to apprehend an individual, would be a different story. You admitted that your illness is triggered by large crowds and you are applying for a job in which you would be among them. Meaning it is very possible your disability would in fact limit your ability to effectively do the job you are hired to do. So if for what ever reason you were triggered and did something, like leave work early to get away from people, then you could be fired legally. So, should you tell your interviewer?...well you shouldn't be applying here in the first place. But if you want to be honest, and have a bit of integrity, then yes. If that doesn't matter to you, and you want to apply for a job that might end in a bad situation like you getting fired - and possibly having the termination and its reason on your permanent work record - then don't tell them and hope that you aren't knowingly walking into a terrible situation were you will be uncomfortable or exasperate your illness.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Mental health condition?!.... Umm, if you can keep your mental health problem to yourself or at home would be great, as long you never hurting no one. that's all it matter.. can you be cool with everyone at work?! like never get mad or yell at nobody.. I mean who doesn't have a little problem inside.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#11 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Yes yes you should. You should also switch back and forth between your normal voice and your best gollum voice.

what the **** man...