Jeff "Gamespot" Gerstmann Fired. WE LOVE YOU JEFF!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Does anyone remember when Jeff G was on Good Morning America talking about the Sega Dreamcast? Meh, most of you were probably kids then.
radiocreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#102 radiocreed
Member since 2005 • 1588 Posts
If this is true, we should stop using their forums and web site.
Avatar image for s0mepuert0rican
s0mepuert0rican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 s0mepuert0rican
Member since 2006 • 358 Posts
I suppose the rule of thumb is, if you don't agree with a review, the writer should be fired. Makes sense to me >.>
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#104 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts
So, this has been confirmed? By who exactly?
shooks20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 shooks20
Member since 2005 • 1943 Posts
Did they really take the video review down? That certainly adds some credibility to this story. This is terrible if true, Jeff was the only reason I watched On the Spot or listened to the podcast
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#107 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
Does anyone remember when Jeff G was on Good Morning America talking about the Sega Dreamcast? Meh, most of you were probably kids then. TekkenMaster606
I actually remember that......that was a while ago....
wrlyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 wrlyy
Member since 2006 • 7632 Posts
Apparently they've taken down the video review.. it's not looking good.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Does anyone remember when Jeff G was on Good Morning America talking about the Sega Dreamcast? Meh, most of you were probably kids then. TekkenMaster606

I admit that I was. What did he say?

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Haee
Member since 2006 • 1378 Posts

So, this has been confirmed? By who exactly?Dutch_Mix

Nothings been confirmed but there are some strange things going on.

1 - On the On the Spot webpage, heres a quote from Gamespot's DonkelJohn.

This forum is not for the discussion of rumor or speculation about Jeff's employment. Keep discussion to On the Spot-related topics. Anything else may be subject to off-topic moderation."DonkelJohn

Wait if the rumor is false why didnt they just say it right there? Wouldnt Gamespot have responded by now? In fact given the fact that neither Cnet nor Gamespot themselves has commented on anything definitely seems like theres some shady business going on around here. If this rumor turns out to be true, it would really show how shady Gamespot as an entity really is.

2 - No OntheSpot Nov 29 (Today)..why?

3 - Last Hotspot (27th)..jeff wasnt there.

Something disturbing is going on right now,in fact its already disturbing that this kind of rumor exists.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
[QUOTE="JiveT"]

Is he the editor in chief of the site?

Tamarind_Face

Yes.

That would explain a lot. I have noticed this site is in sore need of a better editor.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Even under the circumstances, I don't understand why they just didn't edit the review. I don't think GameSpot themselves are to be held responsible for this, but rather CNet.JLuke360
None of the GS staff is allowed to comment right now, so we're just as much in the dark as anyone else right now. However, to extrapolate from the comic/rumors, this wouldn't have come from GS, since Jeff is the EIC right now. It would have come from CNet corporate.
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#113 remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
How can this even be true... The review isn't even that bad, it's in Jeff's normal "style". If they PAID for a good score, and GS took the money, then I can no longer come here for honest reviews. Where does it stop? Do rival companies give them money to give a game a LOW score? You'd think not, but until just this moment, I would have never thought they would have taken money for a good one. I understand DEVS get pissed when there game is given a low score. Print mags catch flak all the time with "threatening" letters about pulling ads. This is not news... but firing Jeff over it... something is just OFF about this whole deal. I want to know the 100% truth... and if it's what is being reported, expect the GS traffic/memberships to drop considerably. Period. I'm pretty sure I'll be the first to go... and I've been around a WHILE.
kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts

Apparently they've taken down the video review..wrlyy

ye..i guess its true,,

jmorey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#115 jmorey01
Member since 2004 • 2637 Posts

Truly disgusting, How do you fire a man who is doing his job?

I don't care if some people don't agree with his reviews he didn't deserve to be let go like this.

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 TekkenMaster606

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Does anyone remember when Jeff G was on Good Morning America talking about the Sega Dreamcast? Meh, most of you were probably kids then. Omni-Slash
I actually remember that......that was a while ago....

Those are the days I like to call 'ancient gaming.' Because decade old games and machines have very little relevance anymore.

Blackfriend8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Blackfriend8
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts
why the hell would they fire him for the kayne and lynch review??? it got pretty bad scores everywhere i dont get it
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Omni-Slash
None of the GS staff is allowed to comment right now, so we're just as much in the dark as anyone else right now. However, to extrapolate from the comic/rumors, this wouldn't have come from GS, since Jeff is the EIC right now. It would have come from CNet corporate.
MAILER_DAEMON
CNet is really intent in running this place into th ground isn't it?....
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#119 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts
Who's up for a riot? *grabs torch*
mp1434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 mp1434
Member since 2004 • 310 Posts
More and more its looking like its true. God help gamespot :cry:
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#121 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26096 Posts

HEY!!!

WHERE'S TODAY ON THE SPOT!?!

There isn't one today! What happened?

Taiko88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Taiko88
Member since 2004 • 1854 Posts

This will be a long one. So to begin.

If Jeff is gone, then I am gone is all I can say. He was the only guy other than Greg Kasavin, who did good reviews, which would tell the truth and help out people purchase the game they wanted. If Eidos honestly got pissed and complained, then Eidos, I am NEVER EVER buying another Hitman game from you guys or your horrible game Kane and Lynch: Dead Man. Or any offset. Whenever I read Jeff's reviews I totally agreed once I bought the game, from then I knew that Jeff was a reliable reviewer. If CNet/Gamespot did this to Jeff, I am honestly, going to leave this place, since it is on the level of 1UP/IGN. I thought you guys were the best, #1, you were, I saw Greg leave, Rich Leave. After a couple of really lame reviews, by various other reviewers I no longer kept you at #1 you went to #2, instead now I only agree with Gametrailers #1 now. You lost some good people, a good reviewer, if you were to fire Jeff, you have not only lost all credibility, but you are officially worthless.

Only good reviewers left are Brian, Alex, Brad/Jason (both I don't know about their reviews soI cannot say). But because of 4 reviwers the site is not worth it. Jeff if you read this ever, PM or something, tell me when your going next, if it is IGN/1UP, guess I'll just read your reviews; if it is Gametrailers, I'm officially never coming back here or anywhere near these filthy sellouts.

But if this is all wrong, and just a rumour as many claim, I'll be glad. I'll stay, although Gamespot is shakey, I will stay to see what the future holds, I've always loved the Hotspot and On the Spot, and was even thinking of after 4 years of becoming a paid subscriber. Now I just don't know. I am just hoping for the best now. *crosses fingers this rumour is wrong*

P.S. I highly doubt it is a false rumour since even On The Spot was cancelled today, coincidence, I don't think so.

P.P.S. I say we either start a riot or we start a petition. If this is indeed true, I am starting a petition A.S.A.P.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Omni-Slash

Those are the days I like to call 'ancient gaming.' Because decade old games and machines have very little relevance anymore.

TekkenMaster606
I actually fired up my DC last week.....SKies of Arcadia FTW!...
Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

There are a number of sites reporting this now. This is from Kotaku. I would really like to know if this is true or not. Does anyone know for sure?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review-328244.php

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Haee

HEY!!!

Willy105

They are trying to find a new host... the scary thing is that in the back of my head im not joking.

Fireball2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Fireball2500
Member since 2004 • 3421 Posts
Who's up for a riot? *grabs torch*THE_DRUGGIE
We're gonna need WAY more people for this.
stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 stevendiep_100
Member since 2004 • 2193 Posts

Im suprised he wasn't fired earlier. He has a long history of horrible reviews, Driver: Parallel Lines (which was a decent game, should have gotten a 7.5, yet he gives it a really low score becuase he was a GTA fanboy and driver was a GTA clone), Halo 3 (the most ovverated game of all time gets an ovverated score) and Kane and Lynch, which was not that bad of a game. Kane and Lynch was the last straw, he biased reviewing days are over.

mp1434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 mp1434
Member since 2004 • 310 Posts

All the evidence points to Jeff being fired. He wasn't on the hotspot there was no on the spot and everyone at gamespot is refusing to comment.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Dutch_Mix
I'm hearing so many conflicting stories right now. Did Eidos pay off Gamespot? Does Eidos suck (YES)? Has CNET officially fired Jeff?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e434325a21be
deactivated-5e434325a21be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 deactivated-5e434325a21be
Member since 2004 • 10026 Posts
kasavin was a great pc reviewer and rich was great as a host, jeff was now the only big name guy at gamespot (ryan and alex and stuff are good but just seem like support) and he was one of the first ever gamespot reviews. Dosent ryan own gamespot how can he let this happen? If he was fired i will stop my payments to gamespot certanly.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

Omni-Slash
I actually fired up my DC last week.....SKies of Arcadia FTW!...

SEGA.... God, I miss their consoles...
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 remaGloohcSdlO
K & L has a 68% rating on gamerankins... making Jeff RIGHT ON THE MONEY... something else HAD to be going on. No way this is the EXACT reason he was let go. No way... not 100% of it anyway... I'm certain of that IMHO.
Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts

Harsh. At least Jeff brought some personality to the crew over at Gamespot. And he could perform on camera, unlike a lot of the stiffs they have doing the video reviews these days.

Progn0sticator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Progn0sticator
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts

Guess we gotta fire the Engadget staff for posting negative Apple stories, its only fair seeing as there were those fat Apple ads on their site, right?

Yeah this is bull. If this is true, I see no reason to come to this site, Jeff Gerstmann is a MAJOR reason I come here, a MAJOR reason I listen to The Hotspot and a MAJOR reason I watch the Hotspot.

If Cnet actually has fired Jeff, one of their most prominent reviewers, this really means the end of Gamespot's credibility. If a company can fire one of their staff because of Advertiser pressure this site has lost it and I see no reason anyone should come here anymore.

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 TekkenMaster606
Nonsense. He is one reviewer and that's his opinion. You can't be 'wrong' in a game review. It's all a matter of opinion. And Jeff Gs opinion, standards, and outlook on gaming was relevant in every aspect.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]Who's up for a riot? *grabs torch*Fireball2500
We're gonna need WAY more people for this.

*removes pants* Let's start a revolution!
ff7fan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 ff7fan2
Member since 2006 • 31413 Posts
Kane and Lynch was the last strawstevendiep_100
Even though he gave it around the same score other sites are?
anopolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 anopolis
Member since 2003 • 153 Posts

if this is true, then this site is fallen and should be put to sleep. I actually ignored his review, went out and bought k$l and honestly he was kind in his review EVERYTHING about that particular title was substandard. control, story, the visuals.. everything. It should have recieved a 4 maybe 5 so for big G to get himself in trouble over being what the site claims to be.. tisk tisk gamespot you need to repent in shame .... if its true that is

Taiko88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Taiko88
Member since 2004 • 1854 Posts

I'm hearing so many conflicting stories right now. Did Eidos pay off Gamespot? Does Eidos suck (YES)? Has CNET officially fired Jeff?Dutch_Mix

Eidos payed for the advertisment done on this site, and by all of it I'm guessing A LOT. Does Eidos suck, hell yes, I am not buying Hitman ever again, even it is GOTY. Rumour, yes, hopefully no. All signs are pointing to yes. As someone said, Hotspot not there and no On The Spot today, you do the math.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e434325a21be
deactivated-5e434325a21be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 deactivated-5e434325a21be
Member since 2004 • 10026 Posts

Im suprised he wasn't fired earlier. He has a long history of horrible reviews, Driver: Parallel Lines (which was a decent game, should have gotten a 7.5, yet he gives it a really low score becuase he was a GTA fanboy and driver was a GTA clone), Halo 3 (the most ovverated game of all time gets an ovverated score) and Kane and Lynch, which was not that bad of a game. Kane and Lynch was the last straw, he biased reviewing days are over.

stevendiep_100

I have to say that those where the worst pickings of reviews to hassle jeff. Nobody gave driver good reviews, i rented kayne and lynch and it was bad, and looking at your sig and you saying halo 3 is over rated is stupid just look at any review ever of halo.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#141 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts

K & L has a 68% rating on gamerankins... making Jeff RIGHT ON THE MONEY... something else HAD to be going on. No way this is the EXACT reason he was let go. No way... not 100% of it anyway... I'm certain of that IMHO.remaGloohcSdlO

It doesn't matter. If this is true, Gamespot accepted the bribe to give the game a good score, and Jeff didn't do that.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

stevendiep_100

Well that's the thing isn't it. He "sapposidly" wasn't fired for a bad review. He was fired becasue the developer of Kane and Lynch was a large advertiser on Gamespot and they called for his blood after the review. That's what makes it bad.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

This confirms it.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26072231

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Dutch_Mix

stevendiep_100

So, why did IGN give Halo 3 a 9.5/10? Why did Gamespy give it a 5/5? Did Jeff write those reviews? Your logic is severely flawed.

MarioFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 MarioFanatic
Member since 2003 • 6153 Posts
[QUOTE="Willy105"]

HEY!!!

Haee

They are trying to find a new host... the scary thing is that in the back of my head im not joking.

this is ****** bull****:cry:
wrlyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 wrlyy
Member since 2006 • 7632 Posts
Maybe they should've spent all that ad money on, you know, making a game that doesn't suck.
SpaceNinjaDino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 SpaceNinjaDino
Member since 2005 • 46 Posts

It's definitely terrible that someone would be fired for doing their job. Jeff dedicated most of his life to Gamespot and gaming. He is the most productive person I know. He also records albums in his spare time.

I've been to one of his concerts and his house once, and he is an impressive person with an impressive bedroom.

He might be critical with games' flaws, but that's his job. He's a game critic.

The only thing I disagree with is his attitude and thoughts on Advent Rising. He never played it himself, so it's really the trusted second hand fault. That was a low rated but awesome game despite the bugs. (Compare to Mass Effect: high rated great game despite bugs.)

remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 remaGloohcSdlO

This will be a long one. So to begin.

If Jeff is gone, then I am gone is all I can say. He was the only guy other than Greg Kasavin, who did good reviews, which would tell the truth and help out people purchase the game they wanted. If Eidos honestly got pissed and complained, then Eidos, I am NEVER EVER buying another Hitman game from you guys or your horrible game Kane and Lynch: Dead Man. Or any offset. Whenever I read Jeff's reviews I totally agreed once I bought the game, from then I knew that Jeff was a reliable reviewer. If CNet/Gamespot did this to Jeff, I am honestly, going to leave this place, since it is on the level of 1UP/IGN. I thought you guys were the best, #1, you were, I saw Greg leave, Rich Leave. After a couple of really lame reviews, by various other reviewers I no longer kept you at #1 you went to #2, instead now I only agree with Gametrailers #1 now. You lost some good people, a good reviewer, if you were to fire Jeff, you have not only lost all credibility, but you are officially worthless.

Only good reviewers left are Brian, Alex, Brad/Jason (both I don't know about their reviews soI cannot say). But because of 4 reviwers the site is not worth it. Jeff if you read this ever, PM or something, tell me when your going next, if it is IGN/1UP, guess I'll just read your reviews; if it is Gametrailers, I'm officially never coming back here or anywhere near these filthy sellouts.

But if this is all wrong, and just a rumour as many claim, I'll be glad. I'll stay, although Gamespot is shakey, I will stay to see what the future holds, I've always loved the Hotspot and On the Spot, and was even thinking of after 4 years of becoming a paid subscriber. Now I just don't know. I am just hoping for the best now. *crosses fingers this rumour is wrong*

P.S. I highly doubt it is a false rumour since even On The Spot was cancelled today, coincidence, I don't think so.

P.P.S. I say we either start a riot or we start a petition. If this is indeed true, I am starting a petition A.S.A.P.

Taiko88
I already said pretty much the same thing, but I left out Eidos. If the story is 100% accurate, then I will boycott all Eidos products. I'm not kidding. (most are not that great anyway) If this entire thing is due to Eidos trying to, well, BRIBE someone for a decent score... they can go to hell. They will never see a dime from me ever again. I know I'll catch a lot of "nobody cares" replies to this... but I need to vent. Jeff was one of the most honest reviewers I have ever read, and if this is all true, he was let go for being honest. Bull ****.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#149 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

This confirms it.

jechtshot78
Pretty much. If Gamespot accepted a bribe, I'm going to make sure some **** goes down.
Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Haee

This confirms it.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26072231jechtshot78

This is downright sickening.