Jeff freeman, pc gaming game dev gone.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86552-Jeff-Freeman-Former-SWG-Lead-Gameplay-Designer-Dies

Jeff Freeman, former Lead Gameplay Designer on Star Wars Galaxies, has tragically taken his own life.

Freeman had previously worked at Spacetime Studios as well as on Ultima Online, but is best known for his stint on Star Wars Galaxies, where he was unfortunate enough to become the public face of the "New Game Enhancements" update, one of the most infamous debacles in MMOG history. In a story from June 2007, Allen Varney detailed how Freeman became the target of gamer rage over the NGE, even though his role in its development was minor.

Despite the fact that he continued to suffer online abuse at the hands of Star Wars Galaxies players unhappy with the NGE changes even after leaving Sony Online Entertainment in late 2006, Freeman's brother clarified that his suicide had nothing to do with the game. "I want everyone to know that it was not SWG that led him to take his life," he said. "He has been troubled for some time. There were a lot of personal issues that tore at him."

deuce85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deuce85
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts
This is quite sad.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

sometimes i think that the gaming communty should be hunted and put down mercilessly

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
suicide is such a scary thought :?
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

sometimes i think that the gaming communty should be hunted and put down mercilessly

st1ka

Sometimes a developer can learn from the community what they really want with their games. However, this is a sad event.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
I wonder why he did it then
Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arsuz
Member since 2003 • 2318 Posts
You should change the topic title before some dweep comes in laughing how more and more PC developers start developing on consoles exclusively.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

great? this is tragic but this man was widely thought of as a monster in the game dev world. he destroyed SWG (well his team did under his guidance).

it's a tragedy he took his life - but this is not a loss of a great PC dev by any stretch of the imagination.

teh_ownerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 teh_ownerer
Member since 2005 • 2037 Posts

Well, i'm not sure if this TC's article is correct, but it states that he become the face of the DWG changes even though he had so little to do with it.

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts
Wow, this wasn't what I was expecting in this thread, that's for sure.
omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts
I blame Sony for not taking care of him.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

great? this is tragic but this man was widely thought of as a monster in the game dev world. he destroyed SWG (well his team did under his guidance).

it's a tragedy he took his life - but this is not a loss of a great PC dev by any stretch of the imagination.

3picuri3

it would be better if you read the article. he is not a very senior person and gamers just used him to vent out their anger

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 3picuri3
[QUOTE="3picuri3"]

naval

it would be better if you read the article. he is not a very senior person and gamers just used him to vent out their anger

i read the article, and take it with a grain of salt considering the angle and his recent death. i read several things from neogaf and other similar forums that industry insiders post on that he was largely responsible. either way it doesn't change the fact that nothing he's done in his career makes him 'great'.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Wait a sec, are you seriously using the death of another human being as fodder for System Wars? Not much humanity left in you, is there?
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

If he took his life because of stupid video games nerds, then he obviously had mental issues.

But for real life situations, it is understadable.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="3picuri3"]

3picuri3

i read the article, and take it with a grain of salt considering the angle and his recent death. i read several things from neogaf and other similar forums that industry insiders post on that he was largely responsible. either way it doesn't change the fact that nothing he's done in his career makes him 'great'.

Read this one (it is given in the same article) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/801-SWG-NGE-Crying-Freeman. it was before he died.

Who is here talking about him being great or doing great and why does it matter especially considering that only a small percentage of people do something great in life ?

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
ok ok fine I will remove the geat just to make people happy!
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 3picuri3
[QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="3picuri3"]

naval

Read this one (it is given in the same article) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/801-SWG-NGE-Crying-Freeman. it was before he died.

Who is here talking about him being great or doing great and why does it matter especially considering that only a small percentage of people do something great in life ?

the title used to read 'PC Gaming loses a great dev' or something like that, obviously it's been edited. just thought it was a bit sensationalist. i don't think people have to do great things to be appreciated, just thought the thread title was a bit off the mark ;)

i don't mean to belittle his death - or his achievements in life. it just made it appear as if some really famous dev had been lost, when in fact it was more of a minor player.

kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts
Topic moved to Off Topic board as it does not belong in System Wars.
Wet_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wet_Sand
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
Wow. :?
omfg_its_dally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 omfg_its_dally
Member since 2006 • 8068 Posts
I read this earlier. It is always sad news when something like this happens.
mysterylobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mysterylobster
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

st1ka

Here, here. I'm sometimes embarrassed to be associated with such reactionary goons.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I wonder why he did it then Gh0st_Of_0nyx

I wonder too. This is sad.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts