JC Penny Drops Sassy Girl T-Shirt Line

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 0

#1 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/epic-t-shirt-fail-quot-im-too-pretty-to-do-my-homework-so-my-brother-has-to-do-it-for-me-quot-2537106/

:lol: The best one's "I'm too pretty to do math." JC Penny: We Sell Misogyny.

Edit: Sorry, guys. I tried to link it, but Glitchspot won't let me. :( I left the url, though.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
"don't ask me, i'm just a girl, tee hee"
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
T-shirts are confusing our children. Let them go nude! ....wait a minute. That didn't sound rig- *is arrested by FBI*
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I think it ranks right up there with thong underwear for young girls. Leave butt floss to girls over 18, not those under 14.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Those shirts are what is wrong with America!
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I think it ranks right up there with thong underwear for young girls. Leave butt floss to girls over 18, not those under 14.

WhiteKnight77

What about those aged 14-17?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

theone86

Skating too thin a line. Just wait for them to hit legal age, then let them have at it.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

Hallenbeck77

Skating too thin a line. Just wait for them to hit legal age, then let them have at it.

What, so we're judging what young girls can wear based on how attractive it will make them to older men? Isn't that more the older men's problem than the girls'?

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
it is true... you can get men to do almost anything if you are pretty
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

"don't ask me, i'm just a girl, tee hee"comp_atkins
:lol: Ahh classic Simpsons...

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

What, so we're judging what young girls can wear based on how attractive it will make them to older men? Isn't that more the older men's problem than the girls'?

No, I'm going by what I plan on doing for my kid one day. Those shirts send out the message that girls are simplistic and are nothing more than objects to be leered at. If any mom or dad let their kid wear a shirt that says "Future Trophy Wife, they F-ed up in raising their kid big time. And as far as the thong underwear goes, once they hit 18 or move out the house, they're free to wear what they want. But I don't feel that a 16 year old should be wearing them, period.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"] Skating too thin a line. Just wait for them to hit legal age, then let them have at it.Hallenbeck77

No, I'm going by what I plan on doing for my kid one day. Those shirts send out the message that girls are simplistic and are nothing more than objects to be leered at. If any mom or dad let their kid wear a shirt that says "Future Trophy Wife, they F-ed up in raising their kid big time. And as far as the thong underwear goes, once they hit 18 or move out the house, they're free to wear what they want. But I don't feel that a 16 year old should be wearing them, period.

I agree about the shirts, they're demeaning. However, with the thong underwear, I just don't know that we should be judging what girls wear based on whether or not older men might be attracte to it. That age is when teenagers are becoming sexually aware and they start trying to attract other teenagers their own age, to me whether or not that also attracts older men is really beside the point.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Sassy? Those quotes are dumb, not clever. Unless it's a ruse.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Macys and Dillards is much better than JC penny
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

Who cares what kind of shirts they are? Don't get mad at the people for making them... get mad at the people for BUYING them. They wouldn't make them if they didn't sell, or at least they wouldn't stay in business for very long if they weren't selling.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts
But if it's a boys' shirt saying something along the lines of "I don't do my homework" then it's not a big deal.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theone86

Who cares what kind of shirts they are? Don't get mad at the people for making them... get mad at the people for BUYING them. They wouldn't make them if they didn't sell, or at least they wouldn't stay in business for very long if they weren't selling.

BMD004

People are sheep, a few people buy something like this and then more follow and it catches on. However, even for those initial buyers there's an insinuation that wearing things like this will make you popular, and before long young women are being sent the message that you have to look a certain way to be popular, worse yet that you also have to be stupid. These aren't grown adults who can make fully informed judgements on the subject, these are impressionable adolescents who are forming their ideas of who they are, what gender means, who to look up to, what goals to set, what they're even capable of, etc. Sending them the message that looks are more important then intelligence is simply disgusting.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theone86

But if it's a boys' shirt saying something along the lines of "I don't do my homework" then it's not a big deal.Razor-Lazor

A. How many boys' shirts send the message that looks are more important than intelligence?

B. The boys shirts that do put a positive spin on stupidity (but again, those rarely put such a large emphasis on looks), are really no better.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

If you don't like the shirt, there's a simple soulution. Don't buy it (or let your dauther by it)...

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts

[QUOTE="Razor-Lazor"]But if it's a boys' shirt saying something along the lines of "I don't do my homework" then it's not a big deal.theone86

A. How many boys' shirts send the message that looks are more important than intelligence?

B. The boys shirts that do put a positive spin on stupidity (but again, those rarely put such a large emphasis on looks), are really no better.

A. None that I've seen. B. That's what I'm talking about.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

But if it's a boys' shirt saying something along the lines of "I don't do my homework" then it's not a big deal.Razor-Lazor

That's not remotely similar. The closest equivalent t-shirt slogan for boys would be something like "I'm too good at football to learn math".

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Hmm. I thought that store was lacking in the Teens department nowadays. I never seen this line. I guess it is because JC Penny gives me a "do not shop there until you are 30" vibe to it since I don't like anything there... maybe later. Most teens I know who go to the mall just go through the store not to look around.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

I agree about the shirts, they're demeaning. However, with the thong underwear, I just don't know that we should be judging what girls wear based on whether or not older men might be attracte to it. That age is when teenagers are becoming sexually aware and they start trying to attract other teenagers their own age, to me whether or not that also attracts older men is really beside the point.

I am with Hallenbeck on this. It's not a matter of what may attract another teen or if it attracts an older man, the thought of thongs on young girls is disgusting and any man who thinks it is attractive isn't wrapped that tight upstairs. I even find toddler pageants disgusting. Kids need a chance to be kids before they need to parade around all dressed up to "attract" any kind of attention. Sure, 14-17 are the years kids are becoming sexually aware, but they can do it in bikinis at the least.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"] No, I'm going by what I plan on doing for my kid one day. Those shirts send out the message that girls are simplistic and are nothing more than objects to be leered at. If any mom or dad let their kid wear a shirt that says "Future Trophy Wife, they F-ed up in raising their kid big time. And as far as the thong underwear goes, once they hit 18 or move out the house, they're free to wear what they want. But I don't feel that a 16 year old should be wearing them, period.WhiteKnight77

I am with Hallenbeck on this. It's not a matter of what may attract another teen or if it attracts an older man, the thought of thongs on young girls is disgusting and any man who thinks it is attractive isn't wrapped that tight upstairs. I even find toddler pageants disgusting. Kids need a chance to be kids before they need to parade around all dressed up to "attract" any kind of attention. Sure, 14-17 are the years kids are becoming sexually aware, but they can do it in bikinis at the least.

Well, what is it a matter of then? Why is it disgusting?

I agree, toddler pagents are ridiculous. I also think adult pagents are ridiculous, though.

The thing with that last part, though, is that kids 14-17 have had their chance to be kids. They're not adults yet, but they're in the process of becoming adults.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

theone86

I agree, toddler pagents are ridiculous. I also think adult pagents are ridiculous, though.

The thing with that last part, though, is that kids 14-17 have had their chance to be kids. They're not adults yet, but they're in the process of becoming adults.

I can't put my finger on exactly why I think it disgusting. I know that I would not want my daughter to be wearing a thong until she was 18 when she would have the ability to do as she wishes.

bluetadomonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bluetadomonk
Member since 2011 • 449 Posts
JC penny is too cheap for me. It reminds me of shopping at target
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

WhiteKnight77

I can't put my finger on exactly why I think it disgusting. I know that I would not want my daughter to be wearing a thong until she was 18 when she would have the ability to do as she wishes.

Then your daughter won't wear a thong until she's 18, I have no problem with that. I simply don't see the problem people have with girls doing this in general, though if someone can bring up some objective argument against it I'm open to that. Also, I'm completely clueless when it comes to how women's minds work when it comes to fashion and clothes. Most women I've heard talk about the subject, though, seem to treat it as simply a matter of fashion/coming of age, and I personally can't see any reason why that isn't a good enough argument for it. Also, I can't imagine what high school would've been like without thongs, it would've been like winter in the arctic.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
I'd like a shirt that reads, "I've not done my homework because I am too busy sniffing glue"
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I wouldn't want my daughter to wear something like that but I thinkl if a parent's okay with it go for it. It's seding the completley wrong message but whatever.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

i read about this on yahoo

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#31 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I see no problem with this if the tshirt accurately describes the girl.