Jackie Chan likes to see tsunamis happen in Japan

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -

Jackie Chan Would 'Really Like To See Some Countries Have A Disaster'

Jackie Chan, perennially suffering from foot-in-mouth disease, has , this time during a promotional tour in America for his newest film, "

Chan was asked about bilateral relations between China and the United States by a reporter, and he responded by saying China and the U.S. needed to work more closely together and that people from all around the world generally need to do a better job co-operating.

Then he said:

“Sometimes I really like to see some countries have a disaster coming, or either big tsunami, or either big earthquake.

“After the big disaster coming, you see the whole world, everybody fly in to help the country, I’m so happy. No tsunami, no earthquakes, everybody nothing to do, then politics come in. You fight me, I fight you, I don’t like to see those kinds of things.”

Right then. Maybe it was merely a slip of the tongue, and he really meant to say that he likes how countries respond to disasters by coming together, not that he likes to actually see countries have tsunamis or earthquakes.

Though it is hard to tell with Chan considering his track record of saying rather inflammatory things. In 2009, he let his thoughts be known on the concept of freedom and what he thinks of Hong Kong and Taiwan:

"I'm not sure if it is good to have freedom or not. I'm really confused now. If you are too free, you are like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

"I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we are not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

Last year he also called Hong Kong a "city of protest."

Earlier this year Chan faced backlash for saying that "America is the most corrupt country in the world."

Read more:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jackie-chan-comments-really-like-to-see-some-countries-have-a-disaster-2013-10#ixzz2jaiGt54J

How many of you guys still like this PRC shithead?

#2 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

@Lonelynight: That does seem in rather poor taste, but if you were keeping up with the nationalistic rhetoric spewing from the current Japanese government, particularly as it relates to Japan's role in the Pacific war, you would understand why there is no sympathy for Japan in China or Korea these days.

#3 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

Heh. Topic title rhymes.

#4 Edited by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

I agree with Jackie Chan on both points.

#5 Edited by CommandoAgent (786 posts) -

"Earlier this year Chan faced backlash for saying that "America is the most corrupt country in the world."

Well Chan is right about that, no offense.

#6 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

Meh he has opinions, still my most fav actor, and i dont entirely disagree. You took it out of place. What you said post quote was clearly his intention, im not sure whther he justifies the hate you are trying to suggest. It's not the disasters he really appreciates, its how the world works together to help the people post disaster.

#7 Edited by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -

@CommandoAgent: No

#8 Edited by BranKetra (49063 posts) -

Is Lonelynight one of those racist users that has never been banned?

This is relevant.

#9 Edited by foxhound_fox (89430 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He clearly is talking about the response of other countries, and while it was worded poorly, he is ESL.

#10 Edited by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Well if he isn't sure freedom is a good thing, he's certainly living in the right country. lol

#11 Posted by deeliman (2525 posts) -

Misleading title.

#12 Posted by ad1x2 (5733 posts) -

@CommandoAgent said:

"Earlier this year Chan faced backlash for saying that "America is the most corrupt country in the world."

Yeah, I know what you mean. I mean Kim Jong Un executed his ex-girlfriend and threw her family in a prison camp because she made a sex tape but the dirty Americans allow such women as Kim Kardashian and Farrah Abraham to get away with that with no punishment...

#13 Posted by GazaAli (23279 posts) -

I don't get the hullabaloo in the OP or whatever. He's not a native English speaker so its not that farfetched that he will on occasions say the wrong words trying to express a stand or an opinion of his.

And I don't really see what's wrong with his views on freedom or Hong Kong and Taiwan for that matter too. The debate of how much freedom individuals in a society should have is not heresy, absurd or of no origins. Its a long standing question with deep historical roots that has been debated to death between political philosophers, sociologists, thinkers and people of high intellect who left their mark on the world and whose legacies are still highly regarded in the intellectual community.

At least he is honest and authentic enough to state his true and real opinions with disregard to celebritydom and the mundane shit that comes with it (gullibility, scriptedness, conformity to the mainstream...etc).

#14 Edited by CommandoAgent (786 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:

@CommandoAgent said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I mean Kim Jong Un executed his ex-girlfriend and threw her family in a prison camp because she made a sex tape but the dirty Americans allow such women as Kim Kardashian and Farrah Abraham to get away with that with no punishment...

We all know North Korea is a Dictatorship. They dont even have working Subways. But Seriously whats with you Kim Kardashian? :/

#15 Posted by killerfist (19835 posts) -

Jackie Chan is well known for his poorly worded comments due to his English.

The comment about the tsunamis and earthquakes are obviously about the responds from countries to help out.

Also, it's just a guy with opinions, just like anyone else.

#16 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@deeliman said:

Misleading title.

This.

He's clearly happy about how other countries saw Japan's tragedy, and stepped up to give aid.

He prefers that sort of "politics" to the lying, name calling etc that we generally see from governments.

#17 Posted by osirisx3 (1892 posts) -

Kim jong un did not kill his ex gf. An unnamed source with nothing to back it up is no better then gossip

#18 Posted by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

I like Jackie Chan for his films, not his political views

#19 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -

@killerfist: Many of his controversial statements were made in Mandarin, not English. He is a hardcore supporter of the communist government in China. I can't believe you westerners still like this piece of shit

#20 Edited by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -

#21 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

Kim jong un did not kill his ex gf. An unnamed source with nothing to back it up is no better then gossip

Considering how brutally repressive the North Korean regime is, it would be just another normal day in North Korea if it's true.

#22 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

Heh. Topic title rhymes.

crack is a hell of a drug

#23 Edited by one_plum (6360 posts) -

I respect Jackie for his accomplishments, but nowadays he's best known for saying things that land him in hot water.

#24 Edited by megagene (23024 posts) -

Jackie Chan is awesome. Everybody knows that English isn't his first language and you're putting his words into a false context.

#25 Posted by lamprey263 (24468 posts) -

I can really not care less, politicians say worse daily and they're treated like royalty.

#26 Edited by junglist101 (5462 posts) -

The way you are trying to portray his statement is not the way he intended it to be interpreted.

#27 Posted by PRNPmutagen_PrP (36 posts) -

Whether or not he meant to say those things, he's clearly an idiot suffering brain damage whose opinions deserve no consideration.

#28 Edited by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -

@megagene said:

Jackie Chan is awesome. Everybody knows that English isn't his first language and you're putting his words into a false context.

english isn't my first language either and people here call me a racist

#29 Edited by hippiesanta (9916 posts) -

at least Ken Watanabe make better movie in Hollywood ... lol

#30 Posted by lonewolf604 (8529 posts) -

Taken out of context