ITT we post fancy words

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

English is such a robust and fairly easy language, but sometimes you stumble upon some fancy/sophisticated words to refer to something.

ITT, we enrich each other's vocabulary by posting Enlglish words along with their description. I guess since I'm not a native speaker I don't have what it takes to contribute to the topic. Nevertheless I started it so I get some credit no?

Coitus? Seriously?

#2 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24338 posts) -

per·i·pa·tet·ic/periptetik/

Adjective:Traveling from place to place, esp. working or based in various places for relatively short periods.Noun:A person who travels from place to place.Synonyms:adjective.itinerantnoun.traveller - wayfarer - traveler
#3 Posted by johnd13 (7994 posts) -

Adjective:Traveling from place to place, esp. working or based in various places for relatively short periods.Noun:A person who travels from place to place.Synonyms:adjective.itinerantnoun.traveller - wayfarer - travelerLord_Daemon

That is a greek word.

#4 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24338 posts) -

That is a greek word.

johnd13

True enough, but I was under the impression that we were to post fancy words being used in the English language not words specifically of English origin.

#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Since English is your first language you get a pass, but none of the words you used are considered "higher level". Your vernacular is still fairly average, though for not being native it's superb.
#6 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -
Since English is your first language you get a pass, but none of the words you used are considered "higher level". Your vernacular is still fairly average, though for not being native it's superb. Fightingfan
huh?
#7 Posted by johnd13 (7994 posts) -

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

That is a greek word.

Lord_Daemon

True enough, but I was under the impression that we were to post fancy words being used in the English language not words specifically of English origin.

I just mentioned it :P

Since english is not my native language I don' t have anything to contribute either.

#8 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Since English is your first language you get a pass, but none of the words you used are considered "higher level". Your vernacular is still fairly average, though for not being native it's superb. GazaAli
huh?

Aren't you suppose to start the thread introducing an overly complex word to say something simple, like the E-Honda user? I don't see one.

#9 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
I like the word tmesis. It's when you break up a word with another word in the middle. Commonly an expletive. Like "abso-fukin-lutely". It also has a very unusual spelling for an english word.
#10 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Since English is your first language you get a pass, but none of the words you used are considered "higher level". Your vernacular is still fairly average, though for not being native it's superb. Fightingfan

huh?

Aren't you suppose to start the thread introducing an overly complex word to say something simple, like the E-Honda user? I don't see one.

I stated that since I'm not a native speaker I don't think I have what it takes to add something to native speakers of the language.
#11 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

fluvial

#12 Posted by TehFuneral (8059 posts) -

Familial Adenomatous Polyposis , also known as FAP.

#13 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] huh?GazaAli

I stated that since I'm not a native speaker I don't think I have what it takes to add something to native speakers of the language.

Most native speakers don't.
#14 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Aren't you suppose to start the thread introducing an overly complex word to say something simple, like the E-Honda user? I don't see one.Fightingfan

Most native speakers don't.

lol
#15 Posted by Jazz_Fan (29516 posts) -

onomatopoeia (on-o-mat-o-poe-ia):

The formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to.
#16 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

recalcitrant

#17 Posted by wis3boi (31830 posts) -

floccinaucinihilipilification

#18 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

#19 Posted by konvikt_17 (22317 posts) -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsWIL0lqf3j1UUvAJ3TjR.

#20 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24338 posts) -

quo·tid·i·an/kwtidn/

Adjective:

1. Of or occurring every day; daily.
  2. Ordinary or everyday, esp. when mundane.

Synonyms:daily - everyday - diurnal - ordinary - commonplace

#21 Posted by comp_atkins (31820 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO3Wfenv4Mo

#22 Posted by bnarmz (1370 posts) -
An easy way to doing this is by picking up a few package food goods and writing down their ingrediants.
#23 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia Fear of the number 666.
#24 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1633 posts) -
Juxtapose - place or deal with close together for contrasting effect
#25 Posted by Allicrombie (25419 posts) -

English is such a robust and fairly easy language, GazaAli

Not sure if srs.

#26 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -
Not the fanciest of words but i've always had an attraction to the word "derelict"
#27 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

Thaumaturgy

#28 Posted by -Tish- (3621 posts) -
Antidisestablishmentarianism
#29 Posted by Teenaged (31748 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lord_Daemon"]

Adjective:Traveling from place to place, esp. working or based in various places for relatively short periods.Noun:A person who travels from place to place.Synonyms:adjective.itinerantnoun.traveller - wayfarer - travelerjohnd13

That is a greek word.

Correction: its a word of Greek origin

#30 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

Triskaidekaphobia.

Fear of the number 13. I learned this in elementary school for some reason. Still sticks.

#31 Posted by themajormayor (24078 posts) -
Aibohphobia and Luposlipaphobia
#32 Posted by Horgen (110453 posts) -
Jigger is one that is not commonly used I believe. I do believe it has over 20 different meanings, where two of them are vagina and penis
#33 Posted by harashawn (27604 posts) -
I've always enjoyed the word superfluous. Meaning "Unnecessary, esp. through being more than enough."
#34 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15671 posts) -

Teleological

#35 Posted by harashawn (27604 posts) -
Jigger is one that is not commonly used I believe. I do believe it has over 20 different meanings, where two of them are vagina and penis horgen123
I've only heard that word used to refer to two shot glasses usually of differing sizes, that are each attached to the bottom of the other.
#36 Posted by Horgen (110453 posts) -
[QUOTE="horgen123"]Jigger is one that is not commonly used I believe. I do believe it has over 20 different meanings, where two of them are vagina and penis harashawn
I've only heard that word used to refer to two shot glasses usually of differing sizes, that are each attached to the bottom of the other.

Well it can probably have something to do with that aswell.
#37 Posted by lamprey263 (25003 posts) -
antidisestablishmentarianism... quite a big word but it should make sense if you sound it out
#38 Posted by hippiesanta (9978 posts) -
fancywords =  fabulous people
#39 Posted by eNT1TY (1084 posts) -
In the spirit of verbosity curtailing simplicity i choose the word Masticate. I like masticating sweetened butyl rubber wedges as much as the next guy but i would rather chew gum.
#40 Posted by BossPerson (9109 posts) -

paradigm

#41 Posted by SUD123456 (4526 posts) -

Smegma

[spoiler] a thick, cheeselike, sebaceous secretion that collects beneath the foreskin or around the **** [/spoiler]

[spoiler] You are welcome [/spoiler]

#42 Posted by harashawn (27604 posts) -

SmegmaSUD123456

I was seriously worried about that link for a second.