It seems the US government thinks the war on drugs is more important than...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

...the war on human trafficking:

The U.S. government spends 300 timesmore money each year to fight drug trafficking than it does to fight human trafficking. And the criminal penalties for drug trafficking are generally greater than the ones usually levied against those who traffic in girls.

Isn't that just lovely?

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
<3 you ghokles for this thread. But yea, the government would rather trample all over our personal rights than fight these kinds of atrocities. Fvcking disgusting.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Modern slavery is something people just refuse to believe is happening, even in the US. It's a real shame.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

It is pretty sad that people would get a harsher penalty for illegal drugs then for doing things like this to people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Very sad indeed.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

That's the US government for ya. Ever since Harry J Anslinger started the modern war on drugs, using blatant lies and racism as his only points, aided by William Randolph Hearst running straight up lies in his chain of newspapers, trying to eliminate industrial hemp as competition for his paper business. Even though it's common (and public) knowledge at this point, that literally everything used in the early debates was lies and racism ("Marijuana makes darkies think they're as good as white people" -H.J. Anslinger, spoken in front of congress), there's just too much money and power caught up in it now. Cutting losses, and admitting they were wrong just doesn't seem, to them, like a viable option.

Edit: A few more gems, from Harry Anslinger's illustrious career:

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind"

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother"

"All mexicans are crazy, and marijuana is what makes them crazy"

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US,and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers.Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage.This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relationswith Negroes, entertainers and any others."

"Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white mens shadows and look at a white woman twice."

"The primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races"

Most of these quotes come from his testimony to congress, in support of the original bill to criminalize marjiuana (along with cocaine, methamphetamines, and a handful of other drugs), shortly before he was named the first head of the newly created Federal Bureau of Narcotics (precurser to the modern DEA), where he was given the power of enforcing all these new drug laws.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 l4dak47

It is pretty sad that people would get a harsher penalty for illegal drugs then for doing things like this to people.

CHOASXIII
It's disgusting is what it is. Rather than focusing on evil sh*t like this, the government decides to go after our personal rights.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
Obviously people voluntarily putting a substance in their own bodies is a major scourge that must be stopped! People being forced into sexual slavery is also a scourge, but it's a pretty minor one. We'll got on top of stopping that tomorrow. Or the next day.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
As far as I remember the war on drugs have always been won by drugs :?
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
As far as I remember the war on drugs have always been won by drugs :?Darthkaiser
Lot of casualties though.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 l4dak47
[QUOTE="Darthkaiser"]As far as I remember the war on drugs have always been won by drugs :?Sajo7
Lot of casualties though.

Brought about by prohibition.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Aren't the same organizations involved either way? Usually the two go hand in hand along.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 l4dak47

Aren't the same organizations involved either way? Usually the two go hand in hand along.

Storm_Marine
Well, if they didn't receive most of their funding from illegal drug sales, I doubt they would be as powerful as they are now.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

The war on drugs should be remembered as an embarrassing mistep in American history, but I fear we will just take it farther and farther. Realization that something just isn't working and fixing it isn't a strong suit in America.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_bi99man

Storm_Marine

Lol. No. Well, maybe in some places, depending on what kind of hard-ass drugs are involved. I know exactly where the weed I buy comes from, all the way up to the growers, though. And I can assure you, at no point in that chain is there any link to human trafficking and/or sexual slavery. That's a common myth, supported by the people who stand to gain wealth and power from the prohibition of drugs.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_bi99man

The war on drugs should be remembered as an embarrassing mistep in American history, but I fear we will just take it farther and farther. Realization that something just isn't working and fixing it isn't a strong suit in America.

Jolt_counter119

Q. F. Motherf*ckin T.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 l4dak47

Jolt_counter119
Indeed. Far too many people are brainwashed from all the drug propaganda. People need to get re-educated and re-informed. Otherwise, we're not going to see much of a change and money/lives will continue to be wasted.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

...the war on human trafficking:

The U.S. government spends 300 timesmore money each year to fight drug trafficking than it does to fight human trafficking. And the criminal penalties for drug trafficking are generally greater than the ones usually levied against those who traffic in girls.

Isn't that just lovely?

ghoklebutter
They spend 300 times more money to ''fight'' drug trafficking. They be buying them drugs themselves.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Jolt_counter119
It's the civil rights issue of our time. The US has about 5% of the world's population but holds a quarter of the world's prisoners. And even though drug usage rates are roughly the same between all demographics, prisons in America are disproportionately filled with minorities who will live the rest of their lives as second class citizens who will never be able to vote again and have an incredibly difficult time ever finding steady work.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

the_bi99man

Lol. No. Well, maybe in some places, depending on what kind of hard-ass drugs are involved. I know exactly where the weed I buy comes from, all the way up to the growers, though. And I can assure you, at no point in that chain is there any link to human trafficking and/or sexual slavery. That's a common myth, supported by the people who stand to gain wealth and power from the prohibition of drugs.

I don't know what kind of local grower **** you're into. But most of the big organizations around the world are involved in pretty much everything. The Triads, the Mexican Drug Cartels, The South American ones etc. etc. Though, drugs are the big money makers so making them legit would be pretty crushing to the organizations.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 l4dak47

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

I don't know what kind of local grower **** you're into. But most of the big organizations around the world are involved in pretty much everything. The Triads, the Mexican Drug Cartels, The South American ones etc. etc.

Again, we can deal them a very severe blow by taking away one of their biggest sources of revenue which are drugs. Nvm, saw your edit.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

I don't know what kind of local grower **** you're into. But most of the big organizations around the world are involved in pretty much everything. The Triads, the Mexican Drug Cartels, The South American ones etc. etc. Though, drugs are the big money makers so making them legit would be pretty crushing to the organizations.

Exactly. Just legalizing the drugs would be disastrous to the real criminals, who use the obscene profits from drug sales (made possible by the illegality) to finance the real crimes, which are far more damaging to society than the drugs are.

Also, yeah, I only deal with local dealers/growers. Besides wanting to make sure I'm not inadvertantly supporting some terrible sh!t, I just like to know where my chronic comes from. Not to mention it's way better that way. That nasty dirt weed getting pushed by the dealers working with the mexican cartels has to be some of the lowest quality marijuana ever grown. I'm surprised they even manage to sell it. No one who's ever smoked real sh!t would even consider buying that crap, no matter how cheap it was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Probably because more people die as a result of drugs than human trafficking? That would be my thought.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Human trafficking doesn't affect american citizens on a day to day basis like drugs do. Most people don't know it happens or refuse to acknowledge it happens. Drugs is something right in front of them, a visible and clear enemy.

very sad situation tho

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Hmm well that doesn't seem to be a very credible source. They don't have hard figures. But the 300 times more spent might have something to do with their being more drugs to combat than human trafficking. I do know the US does investigate and deal with those that traffic in humans so I'm not sure really what the point is here.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rhazakna
Hmm well that doesn't seem to be a very credible source. They don't have hard figures. But the 300 times more spent might have something to do with their being more drugs to combat than human trafficking. I do know the US does investigate and deal with those that traffic in humans so I'm not sure really what the point is here.LJS9502_basic
Priorities. Especially considering the how inefficient drug prohibition has been, and the adverse effect on crime. Oh yeah, the stats are from the FBI and the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Hmm well that doesn't seem to be a very credible source. They don't have hard figures. But the 300 times more spent might have something to do with their being more drugs to combat than human trafficking. I do know the US does investigate and deal with those that traffic in humans so I'm not sure really what the point is here.Rhazakna
Priorities. Especially considering the how inefficient drug prohibition has been, and the adverse effect on crime. Oh yeah, the stats are from the FBI and the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange.

The point was there is no specifics here. IF the war on drugs is more costly it could be because it's more extensive. That in and of itself does not mean human trafficking is ignored. It's not.
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

We should spend less on soft drugs and much much more on hard drugs.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rhazakna
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Hmm well that doesn't seem to be a very credible source. They don't have hard figures. But the 300 times more spent might have something to do with their being more drugs to combat than human trafficking. I do know the US does investigate and deal with those that traffic in humans so I'm not sure really what the point is here.LJS9502_basic

The point was there is no specifics here. IF the war on drugs is more costly it could be because it's more extensive. That in and of itself does not mean human trafficking is ignored. It's not.

All you have to do is look at the money allocated to enforcing drug prohibition, look at the money allocated to fight human trafficking and do the math. These are not secret, classified figures. No one's saying it's being "ignored", but if you look at the exponential increase in drug war funding over the decades, it's clear where the priorities of the US government are. There's tons of money wrapped up in perpetuating drug prohibition, not so much when it comes to fighting the sale of humans as chattel. The idea that the drug war is just inherently more expensive is based on nothing, really.
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts

TopTierHustler
No actually. We shouldnt be spending any money on keeping any drugs illegal. drug use is a victimless crime. Prohibition has never worked and it will never work
JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

Apples & Oranges.

They should fund both and there's tons of things tio cut to get there.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 l4dak47

Apples & Oranges.

JoGoSo
Why fund a war against personal rights?
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"] No actually. We shouldnt be spending any money on keeping any drugs illegal. drug use is a victimless crime. Prohibition has never worked and it will never work  mingmao3046
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

No actually. We shouldnt be spending any money on keeping any drugs illegal. drug use is a victimless crime. Prohibition has never worked and it will never work

Complete shi*e legalize all drugs and watch the us turn into a craphole
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

I'm not sure anyone wants to legalize every drug. But marijuana? Kind of a no-brainer.

It'll happen at some point. Opponents of legalization are mostly older, and once they start to die off the proponents will outnumber them and politicians will adopt a more lenient stance.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 l4dak47
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="TopTierHustler"] [QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

[citation needed] In Portugal, all drugs have been decriminalized and the rates of drug use have either stayed the same or actually dropped off a bit. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ghoklebutter

Apples & Oranges.

JoGoSo
What do you mean by "Apples & Oranges"? The reason i am comparing these two is to show evidence of the US government messing up its priorities. Clearly drug trafficking isn't nearly as bad as human trafficking.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Complete shi*e legalize all drugs and watch the us turn into a crapholeEmpCom

There is no evidence that suggests legality will increase drug use. In fact I remember a while ago that it is more plausible that it would most likely decrease if anything.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mingmao3046
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="TopTierHustler"] [QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

No actually. We shouldnt be spending any money on keeping any drugs illegal. drug use is a victimless crime. Prohibition has never worked and it will never work ttp://i.imgur.com/2Xbq4.jpgMG]

just because you legalize a drug doesnt mean everyone will start using it. the prohibition certainly isnt stopping anyone from using
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 l4dak47
I'm not sure anyone wants to legalize every drug. But marijuana? Kind of a no-brainer.Abbeten
What are your views on drugs such as shrooms, lsd, and basically any hallucinogen?
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mingmao3046

I'm not sure anyone wants to legalize every drug. But marijuana? Kind of a no-brainer.

It'll happen at some point. Opponents of legalization are mostly older, and once they start to die off the proponents will outnumber them and politicians will adopt a more lenient stance.

Abbeten
why not legalize all drugs? what good has prohibition done?
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ghoklebutter

Complete shi*e legalize all drugs and watch the us turn into a crapholeEmpCom

Elaborate.

Oh, and the US is already a craphole due to the fact that nearly 300,000 US children are trafficked for sex (among other reasons).

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Abbeten

[QUOTE="Abbeten"]I'm not sure anyone wants to legalize every drug. But marijuana? Kind of a no-brainer.l4dak47
What are your views on drugs such as shrooms, lsd, and basically any hallucinogen?

As a rule, I'm fine with them.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mingmao3046
[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Abbeten"] Because some drugs actually do turn you into a crazy homicidal lunatic.
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]I'm not sure anyone wants to legalize every drug. But marijuana? Kind of a no-brainer.l4dak47

yes, if you abuse them. just like if you abuse alcohol you may hurt someone or drive drunk
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Abbeten
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]

mingmao3046
why not legalize all drugs? what good has prohibition done?

Because some drugs actually do turn you into a homicidal lunatic.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
America can't beat El Chapo Guzman!
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 l4dak47

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="Abbeten"]I'm not sure anyone wants to legalize every drug. But marijuana? Kind of a no-brainer.Abbeten

Glad to hear it. I think all drugs should be decriminalized because I'm sick and tired of users being put in jail and not actually getting the help they need. And i believe that drugs such as weed, mdma, lsd, shrooms, etc should be legalized.
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Abbeten
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"] What are your views on drugs such as shrooms, lsd, and basically any hallucinogen? l4dak47

Glad to hear it. I think all drugs should be decriminalized because I'm sick and tired of users being put in jail and not actually getting the help they need. And i believe that drugs such as weed, mdma, lsd, shrooms, etc should be legalized.

It makes the most sense to decriminalize, stop clogging prisons with nonviolent drug offenders, and treat drug addiction like the medical condition it is.
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TopTierHustler

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

mingmao3046

soft drugs are semi victomless, and I use "semi" very loosely.

Hard drugs cause many many many problems in society, from economics to funding terrorism to general population health.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Abbeten
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"] yes, if you abuse them. just like if you abuse alcohol you may hurt someone or drive drunk

I think you may have a little too rosy of an outlook on some drugs.
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TopTierHustler

In Portugal, all drugs have been decriminalized and the rates of drug use have either stayed the same or actually dropped off a bit. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.htmll4dak47
Decriminalization is not the same thing as legalization. Not by a long shot, and the fact that many people on here can't tell the difference is flat out scary.