It's getting unbearable with my dad's kitchen habbits

#1 Posted by MDK12345 (2446 posts) -

My sister says I'm just obsessed. But I don't think it's just me. I have got to the point where I can't sand people who eat with their mouth open. I never even noticed these small things. But a couple of years ago one of my friends from History class told me that I shouldn't eat with my mouth open. Ever sense that I got conscious with my eating habits. The reason I was eating with my mouth open that time was because I was starving and was devouring the food. I did feel funny at first and a little defensive when he told me.

I had my mom talk to my dad about his habits. He just says, ''Oh.'' And I think his eating has gotten even louder if anything. The fact of the matter is that when you don't close your mouth, you will produce a sound that comes from the mouth and lips. Gross, gross, gross. And there are teams when he starts eating fast at the same time. I get grossed out and now he notices that. He looks over at me and says, ''What's the matter? Why are you being so weird?'' And I just can't talk about it.

My mom has already told him, or so she says. She says he's not going to change. I'm in an uncomfortable situation now because he knows that I'm not comfortable. My sister has also mentioned it out loud in front of me. It's like he forgets every time he is told this or like he didn't even hear anything.

And I also dislike the times he sucks on his thumb, grabs food with his hands instead of utensils, and clears his throat constantly. And of course, looking up at the tv while he smacks his lips. I guess he figures this is all good and normal and not a ''big'' deal to normal people.

At the same time I feel like an awful person for not being so forgiving, but I don't get why it's so hard for him to correct something so easy. His house, his rules I guess. But still. Still. In fact, would never date a hot girl who ate so poorly.

#2 Posted by indzman (20192 posts) -

This very thread was made on OT couple of months back , OP annoyed with dads eating habit . Forgot if it was you TC or somebody else who created the thread =P

#3 Posted by lamprey263 (26133 posts) -

well, try to run interference on his eating noises by trying to strike up meaningful conversation at the table

#4 Posted by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

@indzman said:

This very thread was made on OT couple of months back , OP annoyed with dads eating habit . Forgot if it was you TC or somebody else who created the thread =P

I remember it too.

#5 Posted by always_explicit (3132 posts) -

I remember it too so il post what I posted then. When you have your own house and your own table you can set the rules. As long as he is providing you a home cooked meal from his pay check I think you can tolerate a little lip smacking and finger sucking. Okay if he starts spitting food all over the table by all means take exception to that rule but I mean come on....enjoying good food is one of the few simple pleasures in life.

Id love to date a hot girl who tucked into a rack of ribs like a pro. My g.f is far too "dainty at the dinner table". Watching her eat is painful. JUST EAT IT WOMAN.

#6 Posted by WickedChainy (318 posts) -

You're always going to see faults in people... If you don't learn how to ignore it you're going to have a hard time in life. Everyone is going to do something that annoys you at one point and if you don't learn to deal with it you'll never have a good relationship.

#7 Posted by Korvus (9071 posts) -

This is the third time (at least) that you've posted about this in the last few months...I've tried to see things from your point of view but I'm starting to think you might need to see a psychologist. Yeah, your father sucks but you are so obsessed about this I doubt you even sleep properly...that's not healthy...

#8 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152960 posts) -

You have issues....keep them out of OT. And learn how to fucking spell....

#9 Edited by slateman_basic (4036 posts) -

Learn to deal with it. You will encounter many people in the course of your life who will annoy you. Learn to deal.

Oh and it's his house. He pays for it. He pays for the food. He should be able to eat any damn way he wants in his own house.

#10 Posted by GazaAli (24043 posts) -

You again lol

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (91144 posts) -
@mdk12345 said:

My sister says I'm just obsessed.

Listen to your sister.

#12 Edited by GazaAli (24043 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:
@mdk12345 said:

Listen to your sister.

I was waiting for you to comment on this topic. What is the name of that disorder or syndrome that causes the patient to be extremely sensitive and aggravated to certain sounds? You mentioned it in one of his older topics on his father's eating habits.

#13 Posted by themajormayor (24471 posts) -

Yeah I have the exact same problem.

#14 Posted by Korvus (9071 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@mdk12345 said:

Listen to your sister.

I was waiting for you to comment on this topic. What is the name of that disorder or syndrome that causes the patient to be extremely sensitive and aggravated to certain sounds? You mentioned it in one of his older topics on his father's eating habits.

Misophonia?

#15 Edited by thegerg (16244 posts) -

OK. Thanks for sharing.

#16 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20915 posts) -

Uh....tell me about it bro! First world problems!

#17 Posted by themajormayor (24471 posts) -

@thegerg said:

OK. Thanks for sharing.

Shut up

#18 Posted by GazaAli (24043 posts) -

@korvus said:

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@mdk12345 said:

Listen to your sister.

Misophonia?

Yes that's the one. I believe I do suffer from that disorder. If I see someone chewing with their mouth open or if I hear any sounds emitting from their mouths while eating, I truly feel enraged. My blood pressure skyrockets and I lose my focus. I cease to function to put it simply.

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (91144 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@korvus said:

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@mdk12345 said:

Listen to your sister.

Misophonia?

Yes that's the one. I believe I do suffer from that disorder. If I see someone chewing with their mouth open or if I hear any sounds emitting from their mouths while eating, I truly feel enraged. My blood pressure skyrockets and I lose my focus. I cease to function to put it simply.

It's not uncommon. I have a mild case of it. Just the chewing sounds, if they are loud enough.

#20 Posted by GazaAli (24043 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@GazaAli said:

@korvus said:

@GazaAli said:

@foxhound_fox said:
@mdk12345 said:

Listen to your sister.

Misophonia?

It's not uncommon. I have a mild case of it. Just the chewing sounds, if they are loud enough.

I'd say its as common as OCD, meaning its quite common. But I think its safe to assume that it varies in intensity.

#21 Edited by Korvus (9071 posts) -

@GazaAli: Well, it drives me crazy too but not because of the sound itself, but because of the lack of manners associated with it.

#22 Edited by GazaAli (24043 posts) -

@korvus said:

@GazaAli: Well, it drives me crazy too but not because of the sound itself, but because of the lack of manners associated with it.

Well yea that goes without saying. You'd find me staring at someone doing that with fiery eyes while thinking to myself "How the fuck could he let himself eat like a fucking pig in public, in front of people. Have you ever heard of manners? Aren't you conscious of your own self whatsoever? Are you so deranged that you're not even aware of how you eat in public? Don't you care that others might find your repulsive?".

#23 Posted by Treflis (11894 posts) -

Atleast yours don't sit at a wedding party, catch your eye and go "See Food" and opens his mouth to reveal it. Or in resturants.

#24 Posted by Brain_Duster (473 posts) -

Kill him.

#25 Posted by jasean79 (2419 posts) -

Then MOVE. OUT.

That's your only viable option at this point. Otherwise, suck it up, Nancy and deal with it.

#26 Posted by MDK12345 (2446 posts) -

What's wrong with u all? I had more support when I posted this, now people are turning on me.

#27 Posted by Korvus (9071 posts) -

@mdk12345: I guess it's because by now it's becoming more and more apparent that you just want the attention. Between the 2 threads you created earlier you got pages and pages of suggestions...what more do you want from us?

#28 Edited by jasean79 (2419 posts) -

@korvus: It sounds like he wants his dad to change his eating habits to suit him...permanently. However, complaining about it online isn't the way to go about that. In fact, his dad will probably always be that way, but he doesn't seem to understand that.

#29 Posted by Korvus (9071 posts) -

@jasean79: If my father did what his does I'd be pissed too...but every few weeks he posts about it again, and it's starting to get tiring.

#30 Posted by MDK12345 (2446 posts) -

@korvus said:

@mdk12345: I guess it's because by now it's becoming more and more apparent that you just want the attention. Between the 2 threads you created earlier you got pages and pages of suggestions...what more do you want from us?

Well why don't you give me the benefit of the doubt? I'm seeing if there is anything else that can be done. How do u ask your dad without being rude and intrusive?

#31 Edited by jasean79 (2419 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

@korvus said:

Well why don't you give me the benefit of the doubt? I'm seeing if there is anything else that can be done. How do u ask your dad without being rude and intrusive?

You just ask him, politely. Tell him that it bothers you. Maybe he needs to hear from you too. There's really not much else you can do at this point. We've given you suggestions....more than you need....so it's up to you now to just do it.

#32 Edited by johnd13 (8548 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:
@mdk12345 said:

Listen to your sister.

And post pics of her.

#33 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

This is like the third time this year you've posted about your dad loud chewing.

If you are gonna keep making threads about this, I suggest going old yeller on your day.

#34 Edited by BranKetra (50223 posts) -

That all must be irritating and especially a grown man sucking on his thumb (no offense intended to your family).

My advice: Go to college, live in a dorm, and find your own place to live when you graduate.

#35 Edited by KHAndAnime (14934 posts) -

Just let him know that you're grossed out by the way he eats, and you think less of him for it. I guarantee you that you aren't alone on this. Think of it this way: by pointing it out to your dad, he can learn how to annoy less people. Tons of people are absolutely disgusting when they eat and there's no good reason for it. Your dad doesn't have to be a disgusting glutton to enjoy his food - he's essentially laying down the line and saying he's not willing to make any changes for you. It's an issue of respect. If your family respected you, they would know how much it bothers you and then they would at least TRY to stop.

From the sounds of it, your family just doesn't give a shit. Stop giving a shit about them and move on. Start developing habits that annoy them and make them feel your pain until you see some compromise. This isn't an uncommon problem, I hear tons of people get annoyed by eating habits - and always the person being complained about truly is disgusting and slobbish in their eating. I've seen people who make orgasm sounds when they eat food - it's distracting and pretty gross. It's an issue of gluttony versus people who are annoyed by it. I find gluttony gross, and can cause me to lose my appetite, so it's not a small matter to me.

#36 Posted by edwise18 (1477 posts) -

First world problem

#37 Edited by Master_Live (15832 posts) -

You make this thread one more time and you won't have to worry about your dad anymore.