It must be sad Americans cant watch the Opening Ceremony..

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mrduckbears3 (104 posts) -

the 2014 winter olympics opening ceremony that is. luckily for us canadians it will be shown on thursday =) in fact NBC will show the events of skiing on Thursday at prime time since they're almost half a day ahead of us in Russia lol. but americans have to wait until Friday to see the actual opening ceremony while missing a lot of events...i suspect it will be one of the lowest viewing ratings in history in america. but i hope they don't do well for once, we need a new medal total winner :p

#2 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

I doubt Americans care about the winter Olympics, or any other sports event that is not Rugby, baseball or basketball AND American for that matter.

#3 Posted by lamprey263 (22430 posts) -

I don't think I'd watch it even if we got it live.

#4 Posted by plageus900 (922 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I doubt Americans care about the winter Olympics, or any other sports event that is not Rugby, baseball or basketball AND American for that matter.

I actually dislike baseball, basketball and football. I enjoy combat sports and track. But you're right, I don't care about the winter Olympics.

#5 Posted by lamprey263 (22430 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Americans care about rugby?

#6 Posted by Netret0120 (1889 posts) -

I doubt they care in the slightest

#7 Edited by the_bi99man (11026 posts) -

There's a winter olympics?

#8 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Would you prefer I use the term "handegg" rofl

#9 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

There's a winter olympics?

^ im the same as you, didnt even know the winter olympics were about to start.

#10 Edited by thegerg (14392 posts) -
#11 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Only olympics I care about is Rio summer 2016

#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149481 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Rugby isn't American.

Anyway......only thing the Olympics does is shut down the NHL...which sucks.

#13 Posted by deeliman (2246 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@lamprey263 said:

@GazaAli said:

I think you're confusing rugby with American football.

#14 Posted by Netret0120 (1889 posts) -

Rugby is a real man sport. Not the sissy NFL where they have helmets

#15 Posted by VanDammFan (4210 posts) -

oh man..you got us OP...dang it..you guys get to do all the cool things..you rock!!

#16 Posted by thegerg (14392 posts) -

Which statement is correct: "Americans cant watch the Opening Ceremony" or "americans have to wait until Friday to see the actual opening ceremony"? Both of those statements can't be true.

"i hope they don't do well"

That's quite petty and sad of you. Wishing one to do poorly instead of another to do well is the sure sign of a hater.

#17 Posted by pspdseagle (3307 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@lamprey263 said:

@GazaAli said:

Wow, rugby is a completely different sport and it actually appears on the radar unlike gridiron.

#18 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149481 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@lamprey263 said:

@GazaAli said:

Wow, rugby is a completely different sport and it actually appears on the radar unlike gridiron.

Rugby doesn't appear on radar here....

#19 Posted by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -

i think it kinda sucks for this olympics that it seems the politics of it being in russia and all the security bs that comes with it is overshadowing the actual competition.

#20 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16464 posts) -

Then you must think it is even more sad that I don't give a shit and won't be watching any of the boring ass olympics, let alone the opening.

#21 Posted by strothers101 (216 posts) -

@GazaAli: ...Americans cant and usually dont play rugby, both league and union.

#22 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16464 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Rugby....you clearly know very little about Americans. You might find a fan here and there, but Americans as a whole couldn't give two shits about rugby.

#23 Edited by strothers101 (216 posts) -

I am not from the USA nor do I want to go there, though I am currently travelling in America. The olympics and the winter olympics in particular are about as useless as baseball, gridiron and NASCAR. They all lick the bag... If you want a true sport, a sport based on honor and dignity which has its roots stretch back to the early days of modern man...That sport is Bicycle Beer Can Wizard Staff Jousting.

#24 Posted by Storm_Marine (10766 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

:/

#25 Posted by strothers101 (216 posts) -

I still hate the USA, not people from there, just the country. I am also looking to delete my gamespot account so any advice, especially from those good for nothing dick dragging, craptastic, ass clown mods, would be great. I have heard that I cant delete it and that they have to...So fuck you mods. fuck you very much...I fart in your general direction.

#26 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Why can't I watch it?

#27 Edited by lostrib (31568 posts) -

Oh are those starting soon. Whoopty doo

#28 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

What are the doing not allowing it on TV, or is the NSA blocking all coverage via the IP?

#29 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

Well excuse me, but people in the region refer to American football as Rugby. I googled image the term before using it and the results were consistent with my initial assumption. I just googled both terms and I honestly can't see the difference between the two. They seem to be using the same ball.

#30 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149481 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Well excuse me, but people in the region refer to American football as Rugby. I googled image the term before using it and the results were consistent with my initial assumption. I just googled both terms and I honestly can't see the difference between the two. They seem to be using the same ball.

They are totally different sports. And the ball is not quite interchangeable.

#31 Posted by Aljosa23 (24300 posts) -

Who cares? The Sochi Olympics are a fvcking mess and the event has not even started yet.

#32 Edited by dave123321 (33347 posts) -

American football is the poor mans rugby

#33 Posted by TwistedShade (3123 posts) -

I don't even watch the Olympics so I don't care at all, although I do want to see how big a failure the events will be since most of Sochi's preparations have been a mess.

#34 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16464 posts) -

American football is the poor mans rugby

How much do rugby players make? How much do NFL players make? You were saying?

#35 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

I love the Winter Olympics. Skiing, Luge, Ski Jumping, hockey, and curling are all fun to watch. And TC the delays are there precisely to gain more viewers not diminish them. The Friday night time slot is a much higher ratings night. The delay is a money making tactic for sure and it does suck we will miss some events but hey the Olympics is a long event.

#36 Posted by Motokid6 (5016 posts) -

Lets just hope nothing explodes shall we?

#37 Posted by jasean79 (2208 posts) -

Rugby is a real man sport. Not the sissy NFL where they have helmets

Okay, so let's pit your "real men" against the NFL in a game of rugby and see who comes out alive. I'm sure after a few hits by Luke Kuechly and Patrick Willis, your rugby players will be wishing they wore protective gear.

#38 Posted by PonchoTaco (1903 posts) -

It's that time of year for Olympics?

#39 Posted by bowchicka07 (1069 posts) -

Should have been a poll on how many American actually care.

#40 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23395 posts) -

if i didn't care about the super bowl good luck getting me to care about the olympics.

the only thing i ever think of when the subject comes up is what a huge mistake it is for your country to host them.

#41 Edited by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

America has been deprived of another collective corporate wank. I'm sure they're all feeling really bad about it.

#42 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9270 posts) -

Most of the American population doesnt even know there is such a thing as the Winter Olympics. The ones that do, dont care.

We (Im not American but whatever) like the real Olympics and not even that much.

#43 Posted by LZ71 (10244 posts) -

Most of the American population doesnt even know there is such a thing as the Winter Olympics. The ones that do, dont care.

We (Im not American but whatever) like the real Olympics and not even that much.

You've got a pretty vague idea of what most means.

#44 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

I couldn't care less about the Olympics, much less the Winter Olympics, Then again I hate watching sports in general(I'd rather play than watch(guess that's why I like games over movies by an extreme degree)), and find it a massive waste of time(but what can I say about that I mean I spend a massive amount of time gaming).

#45 Posted by jasean79 (2208 posts) -

It's hard to get excited about people from your country competing for medals that you only actually see compete every 4 years. I couldn't tell you anyone that's from America who's even in the olympics this year. Maybe back in the day this was something that we looked forward to, but I have no real interest in watching or rooting for anyone this time around.

#46 Edited by Master_Live (13618 posts) -

Ice hockey is fine.

#47 Posted by the_bi99man (11026 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Well excuse me, but people in the region refer to American football as Rugby.

Well then people in the region are morons. It's not a matter of having different names in different parts of the world, like soccer vs futbol. It's two different games.

#48 Edited by whipassmt (13831 posts) -

I don't mind watching the opening ceremony today rather than yesterday or whenever.

#49 Posted by thegerg (14392 posts) -

I was able to watch it. WTF are you on about OP?

#50 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2122 posts) -

I couldn't care less and i am not even american