It is not racist to question Obama's citizenship

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

[QUOTE="MathMattS"]

Though some people would have you believe otherwise, it is not racist to question Obama at all (good thing, because there's plenty to question).

Nibroc420

The people who would have you believe it is not racist, Are the same people who have prejudice, and want permission to hate on the black man.

trus.

conservativez are so desperate to hate on a black man they'll come up with the worst arguments.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#352 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

This is one of the few political threads worth getting caught up with. So much good stuff.

Thanks, Lai. You'll be getting some awards next year.

By the way, nothing you have offered is significant evidence that Obama isn't a US Citizen. And you have stated that there are good parts and bad parts of the Consitution, and analyzing it should be subjective.

Thank you, take a bow.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen. The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 Laihendi

Did a bit of research and found this: Lynch vs Clarke, 1844.

Suppose a person should be elected president who was native born, but of alien parents; could there be any reasonable doubt that he was eligible under the Constitution? I think not. The position would be decisive in his favor, that by the rule of the common law, in force when the Constitution was adopted, he is a citizen.PannicAtack

Whoever wrote that was either ignorant of or deliberately ignoring de Vattel's Law of Nations.
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 LostProphetFLCL

I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen. The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.Laihendi
you are beyond stupid.

Somebody posted a pic of his birth certificate last page.

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts
BrObama is the best president ever bro
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen. The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.

this is both extremely tenuous AND completely pointless because the intentions of the founders mean basically nothing
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen. The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.LostProphetFLCL

you are beyond stupid.

You are completely missing what I am saying. I am not questioning that Obama was born in the United States. I am saying that him being born in the US does not necessarily make him a natural-born citizen since his father was not a US citizen. Even if his birth certificate was the issue, that wouldn't mean much a man with the networking necessary to become president could easily have a birth certificate forged, and since he was born just 2 years after Hawaii became a state they probably were not very organized with their record keeping at that point since it was all new. But that is not even the point I am making.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen. The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.Laihendi

Again, Emerich de Vattel's book is not the law of the United States. And no, a few of the Founders reading his book does not make him an important figure in the development of the US government. Now go stand in the corner until your name is called.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 worlock77

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen. The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.LostProphetFLCL

you are beyond stupid.

Laihendi's not even arguing about his birth cirtificate or his place of birth. At least try to understand what his argument actually is.

(And f*ck you for making me stick up for Laihendi).

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen. The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.Laihendi

you are beyond stupid.

You are completely missing what I am saying. I am not questioning that Obama was born in the United States. I am saying that him being born in the US does not necessarily make him a natural-born citizen since his father was not a US citizen. Even if his birth certificate was the issue, that wouldn't mean much a man with the networking necessary to become president could easily have a birth certificate forged, and since he was born just 2 years after Hawaii became a state they probably were not very organized with their record keeping at that point since it was all new. But that is not even the point I am making.

being born in the us would make him a natural born citizen derp.

What else do you need?

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen.

The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.Abbeten

this is both extremely tenuous AND completely pointless because the intentions of the founders mean basically nothing

The intentions of the founders mean everything. If we do not respect their intentions then the laws and institutions they established are meaningless. Please tell me what the point of a constitution is if we "re-interpret" it into saying whatever we want.

I recommend that you read Plato's Crito because he addresses this concept in it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 worlock77

and since he was born just 2 years after Hawaii became a state they probably were not very organized with their record keeping at that point since it was all new.Laihendi

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#364 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]you are beyond stupid.

LostProphetFLCL

What else do you need?

Under that definition, sure. He's challenging that definition of what it takes to be a "natural born citizen".
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 worlock77

[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am not saying Obama isn't a US citizen, I am saying that it is arguable that he is not a natural-born citizen. The constitution does not define the term "natural-born citizen" which means external sources must be referred to in order to understand what it means. Emerich de Vattel is an important figure in the development of the US government, and by his definition a person's parents must both be citizens of that country for him to qualify as a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was never a US citizen.

The constitution explicitly states that a person must be a natural-born citizen to be eligible for president.Laihendi

The intentions of the founders mean everything. If we do not respect their intentions then the laws and institutions they established are meaningless. Please tell me what the point of a constitution is if we "re-interpret" it into saying whatever we want.

I recommend that you read Plato's Crito because he addresses this concept in it.

Their intentions were that blacks were not citizens and could be kept as property and that only white male landowners could vote. If we don't respect those two things then the Constitution is meaningless.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]you are beyond stupid.

LostProphetFLCL

What else do you need?

No it does not necessarily make him a natural born citizen. De Vattel explicitly states that a person must also be the child of two citizens for him to be a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was not a US citizen. @ Warlock - Do you have evidence of a different interpretation of "natural-born citizen" that the founders had? They never explicitly stated what they meant by it, and since de Vattel was an influential figure that is evidence that they had his definition in mind. I would be interested to see evidence of an alternative interpretation that they may have had.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="Abbeten"]
this is both extremely tenuous AND completely pointless because the intentions of the founders mean basically nothingworlock77

Their intentions were that blacks were not citizens and could be kept as property and that only white male landowners could vote. If we don't respect those two things then the Constitution is meaningless.

No, that is not true. The intention of the constitution was to strictly limit the role of government. That does not mean that we have to always follow the constitution as it was written then, but that means that if we are to change anything about it we have to use the procedures established in the constitution to add amendments. It was fine to put a constitutional ban on slavery because it was done by the proper procedures.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

Suppose a person should be elected president who was native born, but of alien parents; could there be any reasonable doubt that he was eligible under the Constitution? I think not. The position would be decisive in his favor, that by the rule of the common law, in force when the Constitution was adopted, he is a citizen.Laihendi

Whoever wrote that was either ignorant of or deliberately ignoring de Vattel's Law of Nations.

... You have no idea how our legal system works, do you?
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

Suppose a person should be elected president who was native born, but of alien parents; could there be any reasonable doubt that he was eligible under the Constitution? I think not. The position would be decisive in his favor, that by the rule of the common law, in force when the Constitution was adopted, he is a citizen.PannicAtack

Citing common law at the time the constitution was written is meaningless. Common law is established precedent within a legal institution. This legal institution did not even exist at that point. There was no common law at that point, there was only British law which they were rejecting.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
How many people wrote the Constitution? Laih? What did our supreme court rule on the matter? as well.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Whoever wrote that was either ignorant of or deliberately ignoring de Vattel's Law of Nations.Laihendi

Citing common law at the time the constitution was written is meaningless. Common law is established precedent within a legal institution. This legal institution did not even exist at that point. There was no common law at that point, there was only British law which they were rejecting.

There is common law now. That is all that matters when talking about the law as it stands now. Our legal system is based as much on precedence as it is on statutes. This is not a difficult concept. For someone who's trying to talk about law, you are profoundly uneducated on how our laws actually work.

The "born as a citizen = natural-born citizen" thing has precedent. It has been a precedent in our country for nearly one-hundred-seventy years. A line from a book that George Washington read does not trump one-hundred-seventy years of legal precedent.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 NEWMAHAY

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]and since he was born just 2 years after Hawaii became a state they probably were not very organized with their record keeping at that point since it was all new.worlock77

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1.

I am amazed that his can't see the stupidity of his argument. It is getting out of hand.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 Laihendi
[QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]How many people wrote the Constitution? Laih? What did our supreme court rule on the matter? as well.

It does not matter what the supreme court ruled if they were wrong. The process of writing the constitution was complex and there were many people involved. What is known is that in one rejected draft it was stated that any person born in the US would be eligible to run for president. Since that draft was deliberately rejected and the requirement was changed to one having to be a natural-born citizen, that implies that they considered being a natural-born citizen to be different from simply being born in the country.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 worlock77

@ Warlock - Do you have evidence of a different interpretation of "natural-born citizen" that the founders had? They never explicitly stated what they meant by it, and since de Vattel was an influential figure that is evidence that they had his definition in mind. I would be interested to see evidence of an alternative interpretation that they may have had.Laihendi

I'm not making any claims to what they had in mind by "natural born citizen". You are. And you're making that claim without anything to substantiate it. The fact is all you're doing is speculating, nothing more. In regards to the law speculation doesn't amount to sh*t. No, that some of them may have read a book is not evidence that they had a certain definition in mind. If the Founders had a specific definition of "natural born citizen" in mind then they should have included it. They did not, thus they left it up to future generations of Americans to interpret what the phrase means. Future generations have.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"] ... You have no idea how our legal system works, do you?PannicAtack

There is common law now. That is all that matters when talking about the law as it stands now. Our legal system is based as much on precedence as it is on statutes. This is not a difficult concept. For someone who's trying to talk about law, you are profoundly uneducated on how our laws actually work.

There are legitimate laws and there are illegitimate laws. A precedent established without regard to the constitution and the intended interpretation of its writers is illegitimate.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] You are completely missing what I am saying. I am not questioning that Obama was born in the United States. I am saying that him being born in the US does not necessarily make him a natural-born citizen since his father was not a US citizen. Even if his birth certificate was the issue, that wouldn't mean much a man with the networking necessary to become president could easily have a birth certificate forged, and since he was born just 2 years after Hawaii became a state they probably were not very organized with their record keeping at that point since it was all new. But that is not even the point I am making.Laihendi

What else do you need?

No it does not necessarily make him a natural born citizen. De Vattel explicitly states that a person must also be the child of two citizens for him to be a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was not a US citizen. @ Warlock - Do you have evidence of a different interpretation of "natural-born citizen" that the founders had? They never explicitly stated what they meant by it, and since de Vattel was an influential figure that is evidence that they had his definition in mind. I would be interested to see evidence of an alternative interpretation that they may have had.

except it was ruled that you onlly need to be born in the u.s. to be a citizen

Court decision

god you're stupid. add racist to that now.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 NEWMAHAY
What state's education system completely failed Laih?
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#378 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] You are completely missing what I am saying. I am not questioning that Obama was born in the United States. I am saying that him being born in the US does not necessarily make him a natural-born citizen since his father was not a US citizen. Even if his birth certificate was the issue, that wouldn't mean much a man with the networking necessary to become president could easily have a birth certificate forged, and since he was born just 2 years after Hawaii became a state they probably were not very organized with their record keeping at that point since it was all new. But that is not even the point I am making.Laihendi

What else do you need?

By that definition, you idiot, none of the founding fathers who later became presidents were in fact eligible to do so.  Almost all of them (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, (later): Quincy Adams, Jackson, Harrison etc) were NOT born in the United States.  They were born in British colonies, to BRITISH CITIZENS.  And even later presidents up through the MID 1850s were STILL being born from NATURAL-BORN BRITISH CITIZENS (that is people born in the colonies PRIOR to 1776).

Your entire argument is based on the fact that some founders had studied Vattel. Just because someone is a student of something doesn't make that their view you god damn f-cking idiot. 

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 worlock77

It does not matter what the supreme court ruled if they were wrong.Laihendi

Yup. The Justices of the Supreme court, people who have devoted their lives to studying and understanding the law and the Constitution, who have decades of experience in legal practice have all got it wrong. You, a teenager still living off mom and dad, have got it right. I don't understand why we don't just scrap the SCOTUS and install you as the nation's ultimate legal arbitrator.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]@ Warlock - Do you have evidence of a different interpretation of "natural-born citizen" that the founders had? They never explicitly stated what they meant by it, and since de Vattel was an influential figure that is evidence that they had his definition in mind. I would be interested to see evidence of an alternative interpretation that they may have had.worlock77

I'm not making any claims to what they had in mind by "natural born citizen". You are. And you're making that claim without anything to substantiate it. The fact is all you're doing is speculating, nothing more. In regards to the law speculation doesn't amount to sh*t. No, that some of them may have read a book is not evidence that they had a certain definition in mind. If the Founders had a specific definition of "natural born citizen" in mind then they should have included it. They did not, thus they left it up to future generations of Americans to interpret what the phrase means. Future generations have.

The idea of them writing down a set of laws and not even knowing or caring what they mean and just leaving it to future generations to make sense of them is absurd. Also you are contradicting yourself by saying that we must form our own interpretations of the law regardless of waht the founders thought, while also ridiculing me for suggesting an interpretation without proof that the founders agreed with it. And I admit that I do not have proof that they had de Vattel in mind when they wrote that, but the fact that they were reading his book is proof that they took his ideas seriously and I have still not seen any evidence of an alternative interpretation they may have had.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@lostrib - The purpose is to explain why the legitimacy of Obama's presidency is debatable and to clarify that it has nothing to do with racism.Laihendi

The thing is, its not debatable.  Only to morons like you who use leaps of logic that defy common sense and rationality. 

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 NEWMAHAY
[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="NEWMAHAY"]How many people wrote the Constitution? Laih? What did our supreme court rule on the matter? as well.

It does not matter what the supreme court ruled if they were wrong.

They aren't wrong. Your argument is based on such a small probability (neglect able) and one writer of the Constitution. It is pure speculation. Its a 900 page book, you are hanging over one definition. You have no support stating that he was focusing in that part at all. During all his speeches he never addressed this as well.
SulIy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 SulIy
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts
The intentions of the founders mean everything.Laihendi
The founding fathers likely had no intentions of ending slavery and letting women vote, they were men who lived in a different era, their intentions ARE meaningless because this is not the late 1700's anymore, it's 2013. By todays standards, many of them are abhorrent monsters. Slave owners, oppressed women, likely had no qualms about killing LBGT people, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 deactivated-5b78379493e12

If we keep this thread going, Lai might actually catch his own tail.

Apart from reading, have you taken constitutional law classes, Lai?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Citing common law at the time the constitution was written is meaningless. Common law is established precedent within a legal institution. This legal institution did not even exist at that point. There was no common law at that point, there was only British law which they were rejecting.Laihendi

There are legitimate laws and there are illegitimate laws. A precedent established without regard to the constitution and the intended interpretation of its writers is illegitimate.

I have one-hundred-seventy years of legal precedence. You have a book that George Washington and Benjamin Franklin read. What do you seriously think would happen if you were to challenge Lynch vs. Clarke on the grounds of "it contradicts this book"?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]@ Warlock - Do you have evidence of a different interpretation of "natural-born citizen" that the founders had? They never explicitly stated what they meant by it, and since de Vattel was an influential figure that is evidence that they had his definition in mind. I would be interested to see evidence of an alternative interpretation that they may have had.Laihendi

The idea of them writing down a set of laws and not even knowing or caring what they mean and just leaving it to future generations to make sense of them is absurd. Also you are contradicting yourself by saying that we must form our own interpretations of the law regardless of waht the founders thought, while also ridiculing me for suggesting an interpretation without proof that the founders agreed with it. And I admit that I do not have proof that they had de Vattel in mind when they wrote that, but the fact that they were reading his book is proof that they took his ideas seriously and I have still not seen any evidence of an alternative interpretation they may have had.

- Whether that was their intenet or not that is the effect. They never defined what "natural born citizen" means, so that leaves it open to interpretation regardless of what they had in mind.

- How exactly am I contradicting myself? Really.

- "I admit I do not have proof that they had de Vattle in mind..." - Then you gotta admit that your entire argument is nothing but speculative bullsh*t.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 PannicAtack

Apart from reading, have you taken constitutional law classes, Lai?

jimkabrhel

Or any law classes? Like classes that cover business law, or tax law, or criminal law?

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]being born in the us would make him a natural born citizen derp.

What else do you need?

MakeMeaSammitch

Court decision

I am not racist, you are just being pig-headed by refusing to question the mainstream interpretation of the law.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 Squeets

Oh and considering the early United States designed much of its government around the British system (fixing what they felt it lacked)... Why don't we look at the British ideals of a natural-born citizen of the day (something EXPONENTIALLY FAR AND BEYOND HOLY SH-T LAI YOU ARE RETARDED beyond what you have suggested influenced them (Vattel).

Let's see here (from Calvin's Case - 1608):

"A person's status was vested at birth, and based upon place of birtha person born within the king's dominion owed allegiance to the sovereign, and in turn, was entitled to the king's protection."

But you seem to be of the retarded ideal that the founders took what they had known and accepted their entire lives, threw it out, and adopted a system from an obscure Swiss philosopher, a system which itself made ALL of them ineligible for the offices they were creating.

You, sir, are so far removed from reality that it is sad.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]No it does not necessarily make him a natural born citizen. De Vattel explicitly states that a person must also be the child of two citizens for him to be a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was not a US citizen. @ Warlock - Do you have evidence of a different interpretation of "natural-born citizen" that the founders had? They never explicitly stated what they meant by it, and since de Vattel was an influential figure that is evidence that they had his definition in mind. I would be interested to see evidence of an alternative interpretation that they may have had.Laihendi

Court decision

I am not racist, you are just being pig-headed by refusing to question the mainstream interpretation of the law.

It's not the "mainstream interpretation of the law," it IS the law. It's one thing to be uneducated. It's another thing entirely to continue to argue your flatly wrong viewpoint when people who ARE educated explain to you exactly WHY it's wrong.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]being born in the us would make him a natural born citizen derp.

What else do you need?

Squeets

By that definition, you idiot, none of the founding fathers who later became presidents were in fact eligible to do so.  Almost all of them (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, (later): Quincy Adams, Jackson, Harrison etc) were NOT born in the United States.  They were born in British colonies, to BRITISH CITIZENS.  And even later presidents up through the MID 1850s were STILL being born from NATURAL-BORN BRITISH CITIZENS (that is people born in the colonies PRIOR to 1776).

Your entire argument is based on the fact that some founders had studied Vattel. Just because someone is a student of something doesn't make that their view you god damn f-cking idiot. 

If you would actually read the constitution then you would see that they specifically said that those who were citizens at the time the constitution was adopted were eligible to be president in addition to native-born citizens. And if you have evidence of an alternative interpretation of natural-born citizen that they may have had then please present it.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Taily Ortiz is in this thread.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]The intentions of the founders mean everything.SulIy
The founding fathers likely had no intentions of ending slavery and letting women vote, they were men who lived in a different era, their intentions ARE meaningless because this is not the late 1700's anymore, it's 2013. By todays standards, many of them are abhorrent monsters. Slave owners, oppressed women, likely had no qualms about killing LBGT people, etc.

Women have been giving voting rights and slavery has been ended through the proper procedures established by the constitution. If you think we should abandon the concept of a constitutionally limited government just because the founders had some stupid personal failings then that is absurd. If you don't have a limited government then there is nothing to stop the government from turning everyone into its slaves and killing them at its own discretion.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 Squeets

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]No it does not necessarily make him a natural born citizen. De Vattel explicitly states that a person must also be the child of two citizens for him to be a natural-born citizen. Obama's father was not a US citizen. @ Warlock - Do you have evidence of a different interpretation of "natural-born citizen" that the founders had? They never explicitly stated what they meant by it, and since de Vattel was an influential figure that is evidence that they had his definition in mind. I would be interested to see evidence of an alternative interpretation that they may have had.Laihendi

If you would actually read the constitution then you would see that they specifically said that those who were citizens at the time the constitution was adopted were eligible to be president in addition to native-born citizens. And if you have evidence of an alternative interpretation of natural-born citizen that they may have had then please present it.

I have provided an alternative, BRITISH LAW.

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
[QUOTE="SulIy"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]The intentions of the founders mean everything.Laihendi

Women have been giving voting rights and slavery has been ended through the proper procedures established by the constitution. If you think we should abandon the concept of a constitutionally limited government just because the founders had some stupid personal failings then that is absurd. If you don't have a limited government then there is nothing to stop the government from turning everyone into its slaves and killing them at its own discretion.

dat slippery slope fallacy.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

God, this thread sucks.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#397 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

If you would actually read the constitution then you would see that they specifically said that those who were citizens at the time the constitution was adopted were eligible to be president in addition to native-born citizens. And if you have evidence of an alternative interpretation of natural-born citizen that they may have had then please present it.Laihendi

No, a natural born citizen does not require both parents to be natural born citizens.

Such a thing would result in zero "natural born citizens", because even the Native Americans living in North America immigrated there.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] If you would actually read the constitution then you would see that they specifically said that those who were citizens at the time the constitution was adopted were eligible to be president in addition to native-born citizens. And if you have evidence of an alternative interpretation of natural-born citizen that they may have had then please present it.Nibroc420

No, a natural born citizen does not require both parents to be natural born citizens.

Such a thing would result in zero "natural born citizens", because even the Native Americans living in North America immigrated there.

Actually if we were to go by that standard, we'd still have "natural-born citizens," as someone could be naturalized, marry another naturalized citizen, and then have a kid and have that kid be a natural-born citizen.

Anyway, Laihendi, just admit that you're wrong. It's what a rational person would do in this case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] If you would actually read the constitution then you would see that they specifically said that those who were citizens at the time the constitution was adopted were eligible to be president in addition to native-born citizens. And if you have evidence of an alternative interpretation of natural-born citizen that they may have had then please present it.PannicAtack

Actually if we were to go by that standard, we'd still have "natural-born citizens," as someone could be naturalized, marry another naturalized citizen, and then have a kid and have that kid be a natural-born citizen.

Anyway, Laihendi, just admit that you're wrong. It's what a rational person would do in this case.

You know it won't happen.

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 NEWMAHAY
[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

Court decision

Supreme Court does = Main Stream. The Supreme court = actual interpretation of the law. Look into the Constitution. Go Argue what they wrote in the Constitution for that one...