Israeli Airstrike in Gaza Kills Top Hamas Military Commander

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cslayer211 (833 posts) -

"An Israeli airstrike killed the commander of the military wing of Gaza's Hamas rulers Wednesday, Hamas officials and Israel confirmed, in a dramatic resumption of Israel's policy of assassinating Palestinian militant leaders."

"Witnesses said Jabari was traveling in a vehicle in Gaza City when the car exploded. Crowds of people and security personnel rushed to the scene of the strike, trying to put out the fire that had engulfed the car and left it a charred shell."

"Advocates say targeted killings are an effective deterrent without the complications associated with a ground operation, chiefly civilian and Israeli troop casualties. Proponents argue they also prevent future attacks by removing their masterminds."

"During a wave of suicide bombings against Israel a decade ago, the country employed the tactic to eliminate the upper echelon of Hamas leadership."

LINK

Apperently this guy was the Israeli version of Osama Bin Laden. It seems the drone/airstrike version of a counter-insurgency has been the most effective way to get rid of terrorists.

#2 Posted by wis3boi (31004 posts) -

woot \o/

#3 Posted by tenaka2 (17013 posts) -

How many will condone?

#4 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

no he was not like Bin Laden , he was the head Hamas' military, not of Hamas overall.

while there is military advantages to this, the main reason for this, is to send a political message to Hamas.

#5 Posted by cslayer211 (833 posts) -

How many will condone?

tenaka2
Condone the killing of a terrorist?
#6 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2749 posts) -

I don't think I've ever cared about this issue in my whole life. I mean seriously, what is up with this? Has there even been a single day these latest 20 years that haven't had some "news" about Israel?

I mean no offense and it sounds heartless but damn this is boring. Every god damn day there's some new attack over there, isn't it about time for them to run out of ammo already?

Should this even be covered by the "news", this feels as regular as brushing your teeth.

#7 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -
Borukh Hashem!
#8 Posted by dangamit (628 posts) -

RIP. It's time for Hamas to retaliate.

#9 Posted by dave123321 (33576 posts) -

How many will condone?

tenaka2
How many will condemn?
#10 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42577 posts) -
How many will blasé?
#11 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -
Good
#12 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

Surprised the guy didn't drive around with a group of 10 year olds tied around his body.

#13 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -
#14 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -
#15 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -

dangamit
How is that going to improve the situation though? Hamas retaliates, Israel retaliates and it will go on and on and on. Both sides must totally renounce the use of violence and commit themselves to resolving this peacefully and democratically. If they don't, there is no end to this conflict. I live in Northern Ireland, so I know what it is like living in a deeply divided society - the only way to move forward is for both sides to get talking to each other and compromising.
#16 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -
[QUOTE="dangamit"]

michaelP4
How is that going to improve the situation though? Hamas retaliates, Israel retaliates and it will go on and on and on. Both sides must totally renounce the use of violence and commit themselves to resolving this peacefully and democratically. If they don't, there is no end to this conflict. I live in Northern Ireland, so I know what it is like living in a deeply divided society - the only way to move forward is for both sides to get talking to each other and compromising.

I hate to break it to you, but that ain't happening any time soon.
#17 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
I know Gaza. The stubbornness of both sides is quite tragic, knowing more lives will be needlessly lost.
#18 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -
[QUOTE="pie-junior"]

IDF infantry units to move south ahead of possible ground offensive

also-

[QUOTE="pie-junior yesterday"]

Thinking about it, someone should warn ali that Cast lead 2.0 is rounding the corner.

GazaAli

behind you nate silver

I see you are getting your orgasm already. This is gonna ruin an already post-apocalyptic Gaza...

I'm saving your life gaza. Help me help you
#20 Posted by dangamit (628 posts) -
[QUOTE="dangamit"]

michaelP4

It was an Israeli aggression. A truce was sponsored by Egypt and both sides agreed to it, but Israel was the one who violated it with such a cowardly act. Not only did they kill the Hamas leader, they also managed to kill 3 children so far in air strikes on civilian areas. I hope Israel will pay dearly for both killing those children and ruining my day
#21 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -

It seems the drone/airstrike version of a counter-insurgency has been the most effective way to get rid of terrorists.cslayer211

That is something of an oxymoron. COIN primarily involves a recognized government (in this case Israel, but since you made reference to bin Laden the US as well) trying to establish their authority over that of the insurgents, this is theoretically accomplished by containing the insurgency and then supplanting the insurgents authority.

Simply flying over and bombing a target doesn't accomplish this. Insurgents can still operate between bombings, killing a top commander is nice, but the insurgents in question will just martyr the target and move on. Since it is difficult to distinguish and insurgent from a member of the general populace, we run into situations where we end up bombing civilians, we diminish our own authority while giving legitimacy to the insurgents.

COIN calls for a large military force to enforce containment and by extension, casualties, drone strikes cannot do this.

The entire premise of COIN is suspect anyway, there is no example of it actually working on this large of a scale.

#22 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
And likewise, dangamit, there will be Israeli people who will suffer by the actions of violence that will wish the same thing on Palestinian people. Remember: an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind - Gandhi.
#23 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"][QUOTE="dangamit"]

dangamit

It was an Israeli aggression. A truce was sponsored by Egypt and both sides agreed to it, but Israel was the one who violated it with such a cowardly act. Not only did they kill the Hamas leader, they also managed to kill 3 children so far in air strikes on civilian areas. I hope Israel will pay dearly for both killing those children and ruining my day

ok the next step is having the IDF flatten Gaza for the second time in 4 years. I think you people need to reconsider your retaliation mentality.
#24 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="pie-junior"]

behind you nate silver

pie-junior
I see you are getting your orgasm already. This is gonna ruin an already post-apocalyptic Gaza...

Like it was hard to figure that out by myself...
#25 Posted by Victorious_Fize (6118 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] I see you are getting your orgasm already. This is gonna ruin an already post-apocalyptic Gaza...

OT but where's your avatar from?
#27 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] I see you are getting your orgasm already. This is gonna ruin an already post-apocalyptic Gaza...

and this is the thanks I get
#28 Posted by mayceV (4599 posts) -
This is so unsurprising its tragic. Israel breaks the truce to assassinate a general. I wonder how they expect anyone to trust them under any circumstances. This beyond anything shows that Israel doesn't hold its word for crap.
#29 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -
[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="pie-junior"] I'm saving your life gaza. Help me help you

I have no idea to be honest.
#30 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -
This is so unsurprising its tragic. Israel breaks the truce to assassinate a general. I wonder how they expect anyone to trust them under any circumstances. This beyond anything shows that Israel doesn't hold its word for crap. mayceV
You know Israeli officials kept parroting 'There is no cease fire' over and over through the course of the 'truce'?
#31 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -
This is so unsurprising its tragic. Israel breaks the truce to assassinate a general. I wonder how they expect anyone to trust them under any circumstances. This beyond anything shows that Israel doesn't hold its word for crap. mayceV
the truce was broken for over a week.
#32 Posted by Victorious_Fize (6118 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] Like it was hard to figure that out by myself...

I have no idea to be honest.

yoursig.jpg
#33 Posted by mayceV (4599 posts) -
[QUOTE="mayceV"]This is so unsurprising its tragic. Israel breaks the truce to assassinate a general. I wonder how they expect anyone to trust them under any circumstances. This beyond anything shows that Israel doesn't hold its word for crap. Darkman2007

I am referring to the one that was..supposedly, brokered by Egypt just yesterday. Reading over it again though it seems as though it wasn't fully official though.
#34 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="mayceV"]This is so unsurprising its tragic. Israel breaks the truce to assassinate a general. I wonder how they expect anyone to trust them under any circumstances. This beyond anything shows that Israel doesn't hold its word for crap. mayceV

I am referring to the one that was..supposedly, brokered by Egypt just yesterday. Reading over it again though it seems as though it wasn't fully official though.

I haven't heard about that one tbh, could be something wasn't agreed on. though even the previous ceasefire was more of a lessfire
#35 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

Just remember guys,they're the "Israeli Defence Force".

#36 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
Hamas fired, like what 100+ rockets into Southern Israel and they expected no retaliation? Such a braindead move on their part. Hamas is still the main obstacle to Israeli-Palestinian peace. That's not to say that Israel isn't at fault either (they are also a big problem why this conflict is still ongoing) but when one says they are committed to the destruction of the other, how do you achieve peace then?
#37 Posted by pie-junior (2821 posts) -

Hamas fired, like what 100+ rockets into Southern Israelthe_ChEeSe_mAn2

IIRC, it was a 100 in a single day.

That's pretty fvcking impressive, all considering.

#38 Posted by Harisemo (4133 posts) -

RIP

#39 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -
Borukh Hashem! th3warr1or
#40 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3827 posts) -

And likewise, dangamit, there will be Israeli people who will suffer by the actions of violence that will wish the same thing on Palestinian people. Remember: an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind - Gandhi.michaelP4
Palestine belongs to the Arabs - Ghandi

#41 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149968 posts) -
Can't say it bothers me.....live by the sword and all that....
#42 Posted by wis3boi (31004 posts) -

[QUOTE="michaelP4"]And likewise, dangamit, there will be Israeli people who will suffer by the actions of violence that will wish the same thing on Palestinian people. Remember: an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind - Gandhi.GrayF0X786

"I make sh!t up on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

#43 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
GazaAli
ARE YOU OKAY?!!?
#44 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -

[QUOTE="michaelP4"]And likewise, dangamit, there will be Israeli people who will suffer by the actions of violence that will wish the same thing on Palestinian people. Remember: an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind - Gandhi.GrayF0X786

lol
#45 Posted by Stesilaus (3285 posts) -

Can't say it bothers me.....live by the sword and all that....LJS9502_basic

Few nations are as inclined to "live by the sword" as Israel and the US ...

#46 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149968 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Can't say it bothers me.....live by the sword and all that....Stesilaus

Don't be an apologist for Hamas dude....
#47 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

Great news. Good game.

#48 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Can't say it bothers me.....live by the sword and all that....Stesilaus

I don't agree with US's foreign policies all the time, but Hamas is a terrorist organization. It's a little different.
#49 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Hamas fired, like what 100+ rockets into Southern Israelpie-junior

IIRC, it was a 100 in a single day.

That's pretty fvcking impressive, all considering.

Not really, considering Israel constantly owns them.
#50 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

Gandhi's an idiot - Kingkong0124