Israel admits Ethiopian women were coerced into birth control shots

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Aljosa23 (24523 posts) -

A government official has for the first time acknowledged the practice of injecting women of Ethiopian origin with the long-acting contraceptive Depo-Provera.

Health Ministry Director General Prof. Ron Gamzu has instructed the four health maintenance organizations to stop the practice as a matter of course.

The ministry and other state agencies had previously denied knowledge or responsibility for the practice, which was first reported five years ago.

Gamzus letter instructs all gynecologists in the HMOs "not to renew prescriptions for Depo-Provera for women of Ethiopian origin if for any reason there is concern that they might not understand the ramifications of the treatment.

He also instructed physicians to avail themselves of translators if need be.

Gamzus letter came in response to a letter from Sharona Eliahu-Chai of the Association of Civil Rights in Israel, representing several womens rights and Ethiopian immigrants groups. The letter demanded the injections cease immediately and that an investigation be launched into the practice.

About six weeks ago, on an Educational Television program journalist Gal Gabbay revealed the results of interviews with 35 Ethiopian immigrants. The womens testimony could help explain the almost 50-percent decline over the past 10 years in the birth rate of Israels Ethiopian community.According to the program, while the women were still in transit camps in Ethiopia they were sometimes intimidated or threatened into taking the injection. They told us they are inoculations, said one of the women interviewed. They told us people who frequently give birth suffer. We took it every three months. We said we didnt want to.

link

Good grief that's disgusting and reeks of eugenics and racism. Wtf were they thinking?

Background story

#2 Posted by BossPerson (9432 posts) -

gotta keep the jewish state jewish

#3 Posted by DroidPhysX (17088 posts) -
HEY remember when shadowmosses compared eugenics to hitler and the nazis?
#4 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]HEY remember when shadowmosses compared eugenics to hitler and the nazis?

rofl
#5 Posted by Aljosa23 (24523 posts) -

HEY remember when shadowmosses compared eugenics to hitler and the nazis?DroidPhysX
Yeah lol. I wonder what he thinks of this

#6 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

Was already posted. Mods please lock.

#7 Posted by Aljosa23 (24523 posts) -

kingkong0124

Link me bro

why aren't you white knighting israel?

#8 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]HEY remember when shadowmosses compared eugenics to hitler and the nazis?

rofl
#9 Posted by BossPerson (9432 posts) -

kingkong0124
well it seems you've found something unjustifiable
#10 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
uhhh doesn't this count as genocide?
#11 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

Almost as bad as Sweden. Well not really but still. But from Sweden I excepted it. Not Israel.

#12 Posted by TehFuneral (8026 posts) -

kingkong0124

I lol'd.

#13 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

They should know better than to do this, the Nazis did eugenics to them in the past, why would they do the same to others? But this is not common practice in Israel so keep that in mind, and yes they are in the wrong and should be brought to trial for this.

#15 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
is this real life
#16 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -

They should know better than to do this, the Nazis did eugenics to them in the past, why would they do the same to others? But this is not common practice in Israel so keep that in mind, and yes they are in the wrong and should be brought to trial for this.

ShadowMoses900
lol
#17 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
The control the banks, obviously they're gonna control women-- money is their life source.
#19 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]uhhh doesn't this count as genocide?sexyweapons
:lol:no....

well i mean the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide defines it as including '...(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group' soooooo
#20 Posted by DroidPhysX (17088 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

Aljosa23

Link me bro

neocons generally do that bro

#21 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149960 posts) -
How many threads of this topic do we need?
#22 Posted by BossPerson (9432 posts) -
How many threads of this topic do we need?LJS9502_basic
the topic of israel in general,or this specific news story?
#23 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -
[QUOTE="sexyweapons"][QUOTE="Abbeten"]uhhh doesn't this count as genocide?Abbeten
:lol:no....

well i mean the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide defines it as including '...(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group' soooooo

I'm not going to even ask how you know that...
#24 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149960 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]How many threads of this topic do we need?BossPerson
the topic of israel in general,or this specific news story?

This news story....was a thread up this morning on it.
#25 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
[QUOTE="sexyweapons"][QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"] :lol:no....

he read it.
#26 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

Reported post like an hour ago, still not locked... Mods seem to be slow today.

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]

DroidPhysX

Link me bro

Not a neocon. But what's your problem with neoconservativism? Also it's on the 2nd page if you really want to see it.

#27 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
kk, what is your opinion on this?
#28 Posted by Aljosa23 (24523 posts) -

How many threads of this topic do we need?LJS9502_basic
maybe you should contact the proper authorities if you care so much

#29 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
Reported post like an hour ago, still not locked... Mods seem to be slow today.kingkong0124
lol
#30 Posted by BossPerson (9432 posts) -

it seems kong is on the hasbara payroll

#31 Posted by DroidPhysX (17088 posts) -

Reported post like an hour ago, still not locked... Mods seem to be slow today.

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Link me bro

kingkong0124

Not a neocon. But what's your problem with neoconservativism? Also it's on the 2nd page if you really want to see it.

The ideology is toxic when it comes to individual freedoms and liberties.

#32 Posted by DroidPhysX (17088 posts) -
[QUOTE="kingkong0124"]Reported post like an hour ago, still not locked... Mods seem to be slow today.MrPraline
lol

#33 Posted by DroidPhysX (17088 posts) -

it seems kong is on the hasbara payroll

BossPerson
lmao
#36 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
[QUOTE="sexyweapons"][QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"] :lol:no....

it's not really an obscure piece of knowledge
#37 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149960 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]How many threads of this topic do we need?Aljosa23

What would we do without the aljosa wit.:roll:
#38 Posted by Aljosa23 (24523 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]How many threads of this topic do we need?LJS9502_basic

*shrugs* silly posts demand silly replies. If you want to backseat mod so much you may as well just PM a mod to lock it.

#39 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149960 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]maybe you should contact the proper authorities if you care so much

Aljosa23

*shrugs* silly posts demand silly replies. If you want to backseat mod so much you may as well just PM a mod to lock it.

By all means create duplicate threads...I'm sure it will do wonders to the dying OT.
#40 Posted by BossPerson (9432 posts) -

christ

#41 Posted by Aljosa23 (24523 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] What would we do without the aljosa wit.:roll:LJS9502_basic

By all means create duplicate threads...I'm sure it will do wonders to the dying OT.

Well it wasn't on purpose obviously.

#42 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149960 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]*shrugs* silly posts demand silly replies. If you want to backseat mod so much you may as well just PM a mod to lock it.

Aljosa23

Then settle down...you are uptight these days dude. Whatever happened to the carefree aljosa?
#43 Posted by Aljosa23 (24523 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] By all means create duplicate threads...I'm sure it will do wonders to the dying OT.LJS9502_basic

Then settle down...you are uptight these days dude. Whatever happened to the carefree aljosa?

I really don't know what you're talking about lol

#44 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -

christ

BossPerson
#45 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -
Apparently according to the UN, Sweden, OT's pet, was committing genocide during the 70s
#46 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149960 posts) -
Apparently according to the UN, Sweden, OT's little favourite was committing genocide during the 70sthemajormayor
Sweden is not my favorite....too cold.
#47 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6516 posts) -
This is fvcking sick. The whole Isreali goverment needs to be put behind bars.
#48 Posted by lamprey263 (22611 posts) -
[QUOTE="Abbeten"][QUOTE="sexyweapons"][QUOTE="Abbeten"] well i mean the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide defines it as including '...(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group' soooooo

it's not really an obscure piece of knowledge

it's also in the first paragraph of the Wikipedia entry for "genocide"
#49 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Apparently according to the UN, Sweden, OT's little favourite was committing genocide during the 70sLJS9502_basic
Sweden is not my favorite....too cold.

It's pretty okay during the summer. Not overly hot by any standards, but you do not need a coat or anything.
#50 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -
This is fvcking sick. The whole Isreali goverment needs to be put behind bars.Capitan_Kid
What about the Swedisj government?