Isn't this messed up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

My parents have been forcing me to study almost every day this summer ever since school got out. They've been forcing me to study some of the most ridiculous things, and are even forcing me to study for my ACTs, which are all the way in March. They've taken it so far as to sign me up for these ridiculous ACT classes recommended by my mom's stupid friends that are completely overbearing on their own children (which explains my own parents' new parental behavior) that consist of endless homework and an overall ridiculous waste of my time. The classes are now over, but my parents continue to force me to study for hours at a time nearly every day. They are being completely paranoid and overactive, and this has been going on since the beginning of summer vacation, and continues to this day as time off school comes to a close.

So, I would just like to know what you think about my current situation. Do you think my parents are being overbearing, or not? Feel free to share your thoughts and offer your advice if you wish.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Well they obviously want to you be your best, but I think that's total crap. You shouldn't have to spend your summer studying. It's about doing nothing.

TonyTcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TonyTcite
Member since 2009 • 456 Posts
yeah they goin a little overboard... but idk i dont have kids so idk how i would act.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

My parents have been forcing me to study almost every day this summer ever since school got out. They've been forcing me to study some of the most ridiculous things, and are even forcing me to study for my ACTs, which are all the way in March. They've taken it so far as to sign me up for these ridiculous ACT classes recommended by my mom's stupid friends that are completely overbearing on their own children (which explains my own parents' new parental behavior) that consist of endless homework and an overall ridiculous waste of my time. This has been going on since the beginning of summer vacation, and continues to this day as time off school nears its close.

So, I would just like to know what you think about my current situation. Do you think my parents are being overbearing, or not? Feel free to share your thoughts and offer your advice if you wish.

Tigerman950

Not really, your parents just want whats good for you, they want you to get the best of best of education. Sure it may be overwhelming right now, but down the road you may thank them for making you study.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
No, no, no. School time is for studying, summer is for not studying. Thats the rule. I think I am missing something here. NO, NO, NO!!!
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xTheExploited

[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

My parents have been forcing me to study almost every day this summer ever since school got out. They've been forcing me to study some of the most ridiculous things, and are even forcing me to study for my ACTs, which are all the way in March. They've taken it so far as to sign me up for these ridiculous ACT classes recommended by my mom's stupid friends that are completely overbearing on their own children (which explains my own parents' new parental behavior) that consist of endless homework and an overall ridiculous waste of my time. This has been going on since the beginning of summer vacation, and continues to this day as time off school nears its close.

WiiMan21

Not really, your parents just want whats good for you, they want you to get the best of best of education. Sure it may be overwhelming right now, but down the road you may thank them for making you study.

So you would accept your parents doing this to you?
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WiiMan21

[QUOTE="WiiMan21"]

[QUOTE="Tigerman950"]

xTheExploited

I actually wouldn't mind, I went through most of my life not studying and slacking off in school, so that would be a huge step up.

wrfade82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wrfade82
Member since 2006 • 1565 Posts
That sucks. My advice: copy this text and email it to you parents.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#9 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I think its good that they care but they're going over the top. They should be pushing you when the time comes, not during your holiday.
Travis57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Travis57
Member since 2009 • 269 Posts

Well they obviously want to you be your best, but I think that's total crap. You shouldn't have to spend your summer studying. It's about doing nothing.

Pirate700
This
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

If they were doing this while school was still in session, that would be understandable. But all during Summer Vacation? Yeesh.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xTheExploited

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"][QUOTE="WiiMan21"]

WiiMan21

I actually wouldn't mind, I went through most of my life not studying and slacking off in school, so that would be a huge step up.

Yes but if the situation ever occured to you as a kid you would say "Gee mom, that sounds keen"? I didn't think so.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

They clearly want the best for you but they aren't going about it the best way.. your best bet is just to talk to them about it.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WiiMan21

[QUOTE="WiiMan21"]

[QUOTE="xTheExploited"] So you would accept your parents doing this to you?xTheExploited

Yes but if the situation ever occured to you as a kid you would say "Gee mom, that sounds keen"? I didn't think so.

I am a kid, I am only fifteen.

hobo290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hobo290
Member since 2007 • 408 Posts

Lol, tell them it's not necessary, and don't study, Simple.

GhostRiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GhostRiderMike
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
My parents don't force me to study, they used to earlier but I showed not to mess with me. They took my TV, computer and games and told me I'll get it back when I'll do better. In retaliation i did even worse and i didn't go to school when I didn't feel like going (sighs). I was young and stupid I should have done better. Do everything you can to do better in school man so you can get into a good college.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
They clearly want what's best for you, and think that this is it. You need to sit them down and basically tell them that they're methods are failing, as this isn't best for you; it's making you miserable and wasting what should be some of the funnest, most free years of your life. You'll have plenty of years to come without summer holidays when you enter adulthood. Childhood, or being a teenager, shouldn't be about studying or working constantly, day in and day out. Basically, tell them that you're miserable, unhappy, and feel that the best times of your life are being wasted. The trick is to do this with a completely calm and reasonable tone of voice. The minute you raise your voice, start whining, or start making pointed attacks, it'll be a disaster of yelling and slamming doors that'll accomplish nothing. At some point, you have to realize that you can say "no" to your parents. They certainly care a lot about you, so I doubt that your saying "no" will result in them kicking you out of the house, making you drop out of school, or refusing to feed and clothe you. But I can't emphasize enough that you need to talk them calmly and irrationally. If you lose your cool, you're cooked. Just tell them you're not happy, that you don't believe this to be a necessity, and that you feel like your losing out on your childhood. That should do it. Well, unless you're Asian. In which case, things may get a little messier. (before anyone cries racist, I myself am Asian and speak from experience)
GhostRiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GhostRiderMike
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
It also depends if you are overall a good student before they started this, if you weren't then I don't blame them
ChowsSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 ChowsSN
Member since 2004 • 10399 Posts
Well think about it. They want you to be a total loser now, so you're a rich loser in the future. All you have to do is follow their commands.
Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts

I had one week of summer (the last) where i wasn't studying,at church volunteering, (i'm atheist) at a rec center volunteering, or some other BS.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well think about it. They want you to be a total loser now, so you're a rich loser in the future. All you have to do is follow their commands.ChowsSN

Really!?

awesome! Being a loser can finally pay off! 8)

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tigerman950

Lol, tell them it's not necessary, and don't study, Simple.

hobo290

That never works with my parents. You have no clue how arrogant and immovable they are.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tigerman950

They clearly want what's best for you, and think that this is it. You need to sit them down and basically tell them that they're methods are failing, as this isn't best for you; it's making you miserable and wasting what should be some of the funnest, most free years of your life. You'll have plenty of years to come without summer holidays when you enter adulthood. Childhood, or being a teenager, shouldn't be about studying or working constantly, day in and day out. Basically, tell them that you're miserable, unhappy, and feel that the best times of your life are being wasted. The trick is to do this with a completely calm and reasonable tone of voice. The minute you raise your voice, start whining, or start making pointed attacks, it'll be a disaster of yelling and slamming doors that'll accomplish nothing. At some point, you have to realize that you can say "no" to your parents. They certainly care a lot about you, so I doubt that your saying "no" will result in them kicking you out of the house, making you drop out of school, or refusing to feed and clothe you. But I can't emphasize enough that you need to talk them calmly and irrationally. If you lose your cool, you're cooked. Just tell them you're not happy, that you don't believe this to be a necessity, and that you feel like your losing out on your childhood. That should do it. Well, unless you're Asian. In which case, things may get a little messier. (before anyone cries racist, I myself am Asian and speak from experience)Paladin_King

That's the thing...

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Sounds crazy, but hey they care about you.
dackchaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 dackchaar
Member since 2005 • 3668 Posts

my friends mom is the exact same way, although not that extreme, I really think it's riduculous, but in the long run it's really only for your best.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts

That's the thing...

Tigerman950
Now how did I guess? :P Chinese parents sure love their tutors. No way it's not going to get ugly then. Might as well just say "no," deal with the screaming and crying, and just stalwartly refuse to go to the classes and do the lessons until you damned well feel like it. Ultimately, it's your life and your doing this now will be better in the long run, and your parents will be forced to realize it's a sign of growing up. Growing up and separating from an Asian family is ALWAYS brutal. There's only two ways to go about it: 1. Be a slave to your parents for the rest of their life, following their every whim 2. Finally choose an issue to stand your ground over. There's no way to grow up without a firefight, but you have to make your stand sooner or later, and since I'm figuring you're heading into the 11th or 12th grade, now's the time. The benefit to being from a traditional Asian family is that you damned well know that they will NOT kick you out of the house or stop feeding you. That much is guaranteed. So deal with the screaming, deal with the crying, just grit your teeth and refuse to do what they say. Don't be like those other weak Asian kids who I'm SURE you know who cater to their domineering parents on every little thing. It's pathetic, and you don't want to grow accustomed to that. Beat 'em back, and just tell them you don't want to do this. It's making you miserable and it's making you pointless. Your parents can't FORCE you to do anything you don't want to do unless they threaten to effectively disown you, and we both know that traditional Asian parents would more or less never consider doing such a thing. So it's going to be ugly as hell, but they can't make you do it if you refuse. I say refuse and ignore the yelling and crying; it'll help you grow up and mature far more than a marginally better ACT score ever would. Hope I've helped somewhat. Again, I speak from experience.
kakashi552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kakashi552
Member since 2006 • 501 Posts

my mom's doing the same thing to me. learn to enjoy the free time you do get, and just wait till college when you can pursue your own way of life.